Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bouchette: Tomlin Likely To Get Contract Extension

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Bouchette: Tomlin Likely To Get Contract Extension

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    How many seasons has Harbaugh made the playoffs and how many playoff wins does he have since the Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2012?

As far as what he did in his most recent playoff appearance, his team got its collective ass handed to it against the Chargers at home last January

As far as comparisons go, both Harbaugh and Tomlin had their greatest success on the front end of their careers as HC

There are good reasons to not extend Tomlin, but Harbaugh getting a new $9 million per deal is something Tomlin’s agent will be citing in support of why Tomlin should get the same
    And Mike Tomlin didn't even make the playoffs last year despite a 7-2-1 start, minimal injuries and an exceptionally talented roster. And the last time Mike was in the playoffs he was one-and-done by a journeyman at home.

The Steelers' overall record from 2017-2018: 22-9-1. Not a single playoff win. Not one.

John Harbaugh has never had a Ben R. a Le'Veon Bell, or an Antonio Brown to bail them out of jams with their talent. Yes, he's had better Defenses, sure. But never an all-around talented team with a gamebreaking player. The Ravens were never in Super Bowl conversations or considered the elite of the AFC. The Steelers were.

Yet, Tomlin has had the exact same amount of success as Harbaugh. That's makes him a far worse coach in my eyes. Mike Tomlin has done considerably less with more. Whether he deserves as much if not more than Harbaugh doesn't matter. I don't think Mike deserves ANY extension. Mike Tomlin is an exceptionally poor coach with a lackluster resume.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Cowher also lost to better QBs and better teams. 3 of his 4 home AFC Championship losses were to they dynasty Patriots and the great late 90s Broncos teams that won back-to-back and doing so with Kordell and a playoff-inexperienced Ben who struggled in his first postseason, certainly no one as bad as Tim Tebow or Blake Bortles. Additionally Cowher only went one-and-done twice in his career, his first 2 years. Those years they lost to the 90s Bills who went to 4 straight Super Bowls and in OT on the road against a Chiefs team QBed by Joe Montana. Tomlin already has 4 one-and-dones, one to Tim Tebow and a Broncos team with the 2nd worst point differential in NFL playoff history, the other was to Blake Bortles and a fluke Jags team at home
    Cowher make the AFC title game twice in 3 years with Ben,twice in 4 years with Neil and also twice with Kordell in 5 years!

The success that Cowher had with Ben in his first two seasons was unbelievable .... 27-4 overall including the playoffs.

So, what I'm getting from this thread is people would rather have a team go through losing seasons and be the whipping boy for AFCCG teams when they make it to the playoffs? No thanks. I'd rather see us within one game of making the playoffs every year and have a good chance of winning the AFCCG if we make it there. (Tomlinson, 2-1, Cowher, 2-4).

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    So, what I'm getting from this thread is people would rather have a team go through losing seasons and be the whipping boy for AFCCG teams when they make it to the playoffs? No thanks. I'd rather see us within one game of making the playoffs every year and have a good chance of winning the AFCCG if we make it there. (Tomlinson, 2-1, Cowher, 2-4).
    No

I prefer to have a chance to win a super bowl ... We had more opportunities with Cowher than with Tomlin....6 AFC title game in 15 years with Cowher...only 3 in 12 years for Tomlin...We have been in the divisionnal round 9 times in 15 years with Cowher .... 5 times in 12 years with Tomlin.

More you have opportunity, more chance you have to winning something big....

And we must not forget the context, like the QB position.

What I'm getting is that The fans would rather have a team that overachieves with lesser talent and lose to a better team than a team underachieve with greater talent and lose to inferior teams. Cowher's losing seasons were a result of free agency gutting the Steelers in the late 90's, and Tommy Maddox smashing into a wall in 2003.

Cowher's misfortune was losing to some of the greatest teams and QB's in NFL History. Marv Levy's Bills, Joe Montana, The 90's Cowboys, John Elway's Back-to-back Broncos, and The Patriots at the start of their dynasty. Once he finally got a quarterback, he made history by going 27-4 in two years, and beat three top seeds on the road to win the Super Bowl. His only real blemish was 1994 when he lost to Stan Humphries.

Tomlin has lost to the 8-8 Broncos, Joe Flacco, and Blake Bortles.

There was one year when Cowher's Steelers collapsed, and that was 1998. Tomlin's Steelers have crashed and burned on four different occasions.

Cowher has had Ben for three of his 15 year tenure. Tomlin has had Ben for the entirety of his tenure.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

There was one year when Cowher's Steelers collapsed, and that was 1998. Tomlin's Steelers have crashed and burned on four different occasions.
    1999 season was worse - finished 6-10 and lost 7 of their last 8

This description of the season ending loss to the Titans

There's no telling how far the Steelers would have regressed if their season hadn't come to a merciful conclusion yesterday....

Owner Dan Rooney, who will meet with Cowher within the next few weeks to determine the coach's future, had to be sickened by this level of play....

There's no telling where wide receiver Bobby Shaw's head was when he caught a 35-yard touchdown pass from Tomczak with less than two minutes remaining. In celebrating the score, Shaw pulled up his Steelers' shirt to show a Superman T-shirt underneath.

How interesting. Superman plays for a 6-10 team and, for the season, caught 28 passes, less than two a game.
    In the best of times, showing off a Superman T-shirt is a minor-league tactic. In the Steelers' circumstances, Shaw was totally out of line, and his gesture speaks to the lack of discipline on the team.
    So does the fact two players were ejected. Troy Edwards was thrown after Walker's fumble recovery for starting a pushing match with Dainon Sydney, whose crime was that he blocked Edwards on the play.

Still later, Wayne Gandy was ejected for shoving referee Tom White.
    It was an ugly ending to an ugly season and it certainly had to give Dan Rooney pause. He knows who's running the organization. He is. He just has to be wondering who's running the team.

http://old.post-gazette.com/steelers...103smizik2.asp

At that point Saint Cowher had two consecutive losing seasons and two AFC championship game losses at home (on the way to a career 1-4 record in home AFC championship games), including one to the Chargers as a 9 point favorite while the players were planning a Super Bowl video in the week leading up to the game

Some posters here would have been screaming for Dan Rooney to can the coach if it was Tomlin with that 8 season track record - but Cowher not so much

It's Tom Donahoe who lost his job after the 1999 season .... If the steelers would have had another bad season in 2000, Cowher would also have lost his job ..... But the team had progressed in 2000 after a 0-3 start, they finished at 9-7.

I can understand not fired Tomlin now, but he deserves to be on the hot seat right now like Cowher was in 2000.

Speaking of Bill Cowher ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Speaking of Bill Cowher ...

Wasn't that the game where it was 3-0 Vikings at the half, then the team totally fell apart and we lost like 300-0?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Would rather make the afc championship game than lose the first playoff game to a vastly inferior team that's starting an aaf level qb

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Tomlin is like if you chopped Tony Romo and Andy Dalton in half and sewed them back together into a coach.

Year in and year out, do just well enough that the safe move for the GM is not to get rid of him, but everyone can tell it's just a tease and you're not winning shit when it counts. Good enough for the "it could be worse, we could be the Browns, omg Steelers fans are so spoiled" crowd, but not much else. Screw that, winners go home and fuck the prom queen. I'm tired of this shit. I guess you have to pick some other piece of shit team besides the Browns now. Bills or Dolphins or something, I guess. Whatever. Fuck you.

Tomlin has turned into a charismatic version of Marvin Lewis. He should have been fired instead of extended just because of all the drama, not to mention sucking in the playoffs. Let's talk about clock management and defending every blade of grass too. I'm over the platitudes. They are not important wins.
    All Defense!

Would rather make the afc championship game than lose the first playoff game to a vastly inferior team that's starting an aaf level qb
    It's as if some people prefer to see the steelers watch the AFC title game in their house on T.V. than to see the steelers play this game.

One AFC title game in the last 8 years, it's a little disappointing if you look at the context and also the AFC title game we played, we have not even been close.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

And like clockwork, the over-romanticized revisionist history of the Cowher era makes its obligatory appearance.

Oh, I don't know, I prefer watching meaningful football every late December Sunday. I sure don't miss the days of the 98-2000 Steelers or the 2003 or 2006 Steelers who so vastly underachieved they weren't even playing meaningful football late in December. It's been what, twelve years since we've had a game in December that didn't mean anything? Interesting, Tomlin has been the coach 12 years as well.

Oh, I don't know, I prefer watching meaningful football every late December Sunday. Lest we forget, Tomlin teams have missed four playoffs, and each time, only by one game (hence, meaningful football late in December). Cowher? Not so much. With just three more years than Tomlin, Cowher led teams missed five playoffs, all of which (except maybe one) had them out long before late December.
    2009,2013,2015 and 2018 the steelers did not control their destiny in week 17 and they won the 4 games, but 3 of his victories were useless, since the steelers did not have the help he had to have since they did not control their destiny....You have to control your destiny at the end of the season, otherwise you are in the big trouble

For now, Tomlin make the playoffs 8 times over 12 seasons ..... all with Roethlisberger .... Cowher make the playoffs 10 times over 15 seasons .... 12 of his seasons were without a franchise QB ... Yet Cowher and Tomlin both make the playoffs 66% of the time.Similar stats, context different again!

Missing the playoffs is a failure, especially when you have a historic collapse like in 2009 or 2018 with a talented team.

2009,2013,2015 and 2017 the steelers did not control their destiny in week 17 and they won the 4 games, but 3 of his victories were useless, since the steelers did not have the help he had to have since they did not control their destiny....You have to control your destiny at the end of the season, otherwise you are in the big trouble

For now, Tomlin make the playoffs 8 times over 12 seasons ..... all with Roethlisberger .... Cowher make the playoffs 10 times over 15 seasons .... 12 of his seasons were without a franchise QB ... Yet Cowher and Tomlin both make the playoffs 66% of the time.Similar stats, context different again!

Missing the playoffs is a failure, especially when you have a historic collapse like in 2009 or 2018 with a talented team.
    Not my point. My point is Tomlin's teams were in the position to play meaningful games. Period. That's better than the Cowher teams that couldn't even get that far that several others seem not willing to remember. And if you want to talk about historic collapses, all we have to do is go back to AFCCGs. Top-ranked defenses. Top-ranked running games. And we lost how many times? Five or something like that?

The funny thing is, I'm not completely sold on Tomlin right now either. But, it's this historical revision thing that makes me cringe so much, as if Tomlin has done jack-all and Cowher was the man year in and year out. No one has came out and said it, but go back and read this thread and several other threads with the same theme, and that's exactly the context between the lines, and it's simply wrong. The both have their strong points and they both have their weaknesses. On top of that, we're almost talking two different eras, to be honest. And, while Cowher left Tomlin with a good QB for the new era of QB-focused football, he also left Tomlin with an aging O Line and a defensive system that had been a relic five years before Tomlin even came to the team, and it was just being covered up by great LB and Safety play. (For instance, the 2008 defense looks great on paper, but if you look at the fourth quarter TDs aloud by that defense late in the season and playoffs, you'll see exactly what I mean. It became even clearer in 2010-2011.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

That's retarded. What people are saying is that Tomlin did a shitty job with the talent he had. And other coaches could have probably taken the talent we had and done better. We underachieved and it was dumb. Cowher had a stupid aversion to having a good quarterback, but in all other respects did a superior job. With a good QB, he and many others would have managed better.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The QB position has always been a crucial one, even in the 1990s (from 1992 to 1999, every QB who won the super bowl is in the HOF)

Cowher and Tomlin have strengths and weaknesses and yes Cowher has had some awful seasons, but this is the same thing for Tomlin even if the win-loss record was not awful, but it would have been awful in some years (especially in the years they missed the playoffs) if he had a QB of the caliber of Kordell Stewart.

And for the 4 AFC title game and the super bowl that Cowher lost, 1994 was a choke, but 1995, the steelers have almost upset the Cowboys, although the steelers were 10 points underdog .... in 1997, lost by only 3 points despite the terrible game by Kordell against a GREAT Broncos team who won back to back SB title ... 2001, Kordell has once again its worst game of the year at the worst possible time and in addition our special team that had been a big weakness for the 2001 season gave 2 TD ..... far too much to overcome ... 2004 with a QB rookie against possibly the best team to have won the super bowl in the NFL since 2000.

Outside of 1994 (you can add 2001 if you want), the steelers lost against some teams who were very loaded each time and the steelers had a big disadvantage at the QB position

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

BQRe: Bouchette: Tomlin Likely To Get Contract Extension

Not my point. My point is Tomlin's teams were in the position to play meaningful games. Period. That's better than the Cowher teams that couldn't even get that far that several others seem not willing to remember. And if you want to talk about historic collapses, all we have to do is go back to AFCCGs. Top-ranked defenses. Top-ranked running games. And we lost how many times? Five or something like that?

The funny thing is, I'm not completely sold on Tomlin right now either. But, it's this historical revision thing that makes me cringe so much, as if Tomlin has done jack-all and Cowher was the man year in and year out. No one has came out and said it, but go back and read this thread and several other threads with the same theme, and that's exactly the context between the lines, and it's simply wrong. The both have their strong points and they both have their weaknesses. On top of that, we're almost talking two different eras, to be honest. And, while Cowher left Tomlin with a good QB for the new era of QB-focused football, he also left Tomlin with an aging O Line and a defensive system that had been a relic five years before Tomlin even came to the team, and it was just being covered up by great LB and Safety play. (For instance, the 2008 defense looks great on paper, but if you look at the fourth quarter TDs aloud by that defense late in the season and playoffs, you'll see exactly what I mean. It became even clearer in 2010-2011.
    To me the biggest difference between the 2 is that Cowher never had the Franchise QB until the end of his coaching career, and Tomlin has never had to replace one. IMHO if all things were exactly the same I would lean towards Cowher but by the slimmest of margins.

Just as you are not sold on Tomlin I am not so certain of Cowher either. He had passion and I loved that about him, but I can't help but wonder how much of his passion lead to him putting to much pressure on his QBs maybe even to the point of making them doubt themselves. He did win a SB with Ben, but it was also the worst game of the post season for Ben. Don't get me wrong he let Ben Play his game in both Indy and Denver, but there was a major difference in Ben in SB XL.

As for your comment on the aging Oline; Ben did win 2 superbowls with that line. Also I would not call the D that he got as a relic 5 years before Tomlin got there. They were at the top (if not the top) Defense the year we won 43. We also went to the SB 2 years after that although we lost that game.

If you asked me just a few years ago I would have said Cowher hands down, but I have since changed my mind. I realize that while I do love to hear how this is debated there will never be a true answer.

Dunlap: Why The Rush With Tomlin?

PITTSBURGH (93.7 The Fan) - Let’s get this out of the way right now: I’m a Big Mike Tomlin fan.

Yep. I won’t hide it at all. Big, big Coach T fan.

I like what he’s done with the franchise and I think the whole “he needs to have more control” narrative is incredibly overblown. In short, if he ran a tighter ship, I don’t necessarily think that would equate to more wins.

It actually might equate to fewer, to be honest.

And I think --- as with any NFL fanbase --- there is a large contingent of people who complain for the sake of complaining. It feels like the smallest Tomlin error or gripe is built up, explodes in Vesuvius form and is made out by some to be something that the Steelers will never be able to overcome.

But I get it --- that’s what fans do. That’s what fans that really care do.

All that said, I will acknowledge something very real, pressing and timely: There should be absolutely no rush to give Mike Tomlin a new contract or contract extension right now.

I heard veteran Steelers writer Ed Bouchette on 93.7 The Fan the other day talking about how he’s now of the idea Tomlin’s extension will come sooner rather than later --- that he and the team will hammer something out before the beginning of the 2019 season.

To that I ask, “Why the rush?”

Why is there this apparent urgency to come to some sort of agreement?

You see, Tomlin has a current contract that runs through the end of the 2020 season, essentially under agreement to coach this coming season and the next one.

With the Steelers missing the playoffs last season and being embarrassingly bounced out of the 2017 postseason by the Jacksonville Jaguars, I’m failing to understand why it wouldn’t be prudent to have Tomlin sing for his supper a little bit right now.

This is an important time for the Steelers and Tomlin and sometimes the best decision is, well, no decision at all.

The Steelers, to me at least, are stuck in a dangerous “that’s the way we’ve always done it” rut wherein their common business practice would be to re-up a coach with two seasons remaining on his contract.

It’s one thing to adhere to tradition --- it’s quite another to become antiquated.

It is yet still another thing to be inflexible depending on variables. I’m here to tell you the Steelers’ policy (or at least history) is both antiquated and they are acting as if they cannot act in another way. In addition, these variables are different as the Steelers have been unsuccessful in the playoffs as of late --- which is very uncharacteristic.

The solution here is simple: Do nothing.

read more

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles...hy-rush-tomlin

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

It's Rooney's dime. Let's see if Tomlin can hold to his own standard. “It’s about talking less, it’s about doing more. Not making any bold predictions”.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    And like clockwork, the over-romanticized revisionist history of the Cowher era makes its obligatory appearance.
    Could say the same thing for the over-romanticized history of Tomlin never having a losing season.

Here's some postseason stats
    Cowher was 7-1 when the Steelers opened the playoffs at home, Tomlin is 3-3.
    Overall in the first playoff game, Cowher is 8-2, Tomlin is 4-4.
    Additionally, Cowher lost a postseason game to a team with a worse record 3 times including only 1 time to a team who had 2 or more wins less. Tomlin coaching fewer seasons mind you lost to 4 teams with worse records including 2x to teams with at least three fewer wins.
    Cowher never lost a postseason game to a team that finished worse than 11-5, Tomlin has 4 such losses, including an 8-8 team.
    Also when you look at the QBs Cowher lost to, none of them were as bad as Tebow or Bortles, and I'd argue that the only QB Cowher lost to that is on similar level to David Garrard is Stan Humphries

Though I will love for the pro Tomlin crowd to continue to bash Cowher to try and make Tomlin look better because there isn't many arguments to justify that at this point

Cowher never lost a postseason game to a team that finished worse than 11-5
    Very interesting as stats ... I did not know!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What is the point of all the comparisons across eras between Cowher and Tomlin? It proves what exactly? Also, how should we take the wildly different styles of play between portions of Cowher's tenure and Tomlin's tenure into account? How do we discriminate between Tomlin "wasting an elite offense with a HOF QB" and Cowher "wasting supremely talented defenses and dominant running games"? Which sin is worse? How to decide?

What about Cowher's love affair with veterans and his insistence on not playing younger guys - can you imagine that in this era of salary cap football? It'd be a disaster.

I suspect all the numbers say Noll was a better coach than Cowher. When should Cowher have been fired then?

It isn't like Cowher or a re-animated Night King Chuck Noll is interviewing for head coaching jobs anytime soon.

Very interesting as stats ... I did not know!
    Yep Cowher was a perfect 7-0 in the postseason against teams who finished worse than 11-5. Tomlin is a paltry 3-4 against teams that finished worse than 11-5

That's not the point. The point is that Tomlin has done nothing but coast on high-end talent for a decade and did next to nothing with it.

Oh, I don't know, I prefer watching meaningful football every late December Sunday. I sure don't miss the days of the 98-2000 Steelers or the 2003 or 2006 Steelers who so vastly underachieved they weren't even playing meaningful football late in December. It's been what, twelve years since we've had a game in December that didn't mean anything? Interesting, Tomlin has been the coach 12 years as well.
    In 2015, it came down to the Jets losing in Buffalo for the Steelers to back in. They were staring postseason elimination dead in the face after falling apart to Ryan Mallett In a must-win game in Baltimore. No Playoff wins in five years despite a franchise quarterback is disgraceful.

Is that the "meaningful" football you're talking about?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    When should Cowher have been fired then?.
    Applying the standards of the Tomlin must go crowd (consecutive disappointing seasons and no Super Bowl wins in his past 8 seasons), probably after the 1999 season, since Cowher’s success from 1992-97 would be attributed to winning with Noll’s players

Which of course was not how Dan Rooney did business or how his son does now

Tomlin getting his extension this summer will be in accordance with how the Rooneys roll, just as it was with Cowher getting his extension before the 2001 season after going 22-26 while missing the playoffs the three previous seasons

https://archive.triblive.com/news/co...act-extension/

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    To me the biggest difference between the 2 is that Cowher never had the Franchise QB until the end of his coaching career...
    Except a lot of that was Cowher's doing. And if Dan Rooney hadn't pulled rank on him during the 2004 draft, they would have wound up with Shawn Andrews at OT instead of Roethlisberger. Further, the "Kordell Experiment" should have ended a good 3 years before it actually did. Cowher simply didn't value the QB position as much as he should have, and that may have been his biggest fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    That's not the point. The point is that Tomlin has done nothing but coast on high-end talent for a decade and did next to nothing with it.
    OK, so why dredge up Cowher for the umpteenth time to make it, then?

OK, so why dredge up Cowher for the umpteenth time to make it, then?
    If Cowher can be almost fired after 1999 despite his prior success, the Tomlin shouldn't get a free pass or contract extension for doing just as much if not less but with far more talent.

The Steelers are stuck in a position where most organizations don't want to be. The purgatory zone of being good enough, but not quite. Tethered with a subpar coach they can't let go because "Muh no losing seasons", even though keeping him on will not improve the teams' chances of winning either. The Packers had to kick Mike McCarthy to the curb for the years of not getting it done with a franchise quarterback, except it was three years too late and it took the Packers falling to shit to do so. Maybe that's what needs to happen to the Steelers.