Thread: PFF Shows Steelers Still Predominant Zone-Blitz Team In NFL

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

PFF Shows Steelers Still Predominant Zone-Blitz Team In NFL

Re: PFF Shows Steelers Still Predominant Zone-Blitz Team In NFL

Annnnnnnnnnd that's the predominant problem right there. That system was exposed in the early 2000s and the defense got lit up for a couple 300 yard passing games back to back iirc. Every since then, it's been a patchwork to fix the holes in the zone blitz scheme and why I said that defensive scheme was already archaic when Tomlin took over. We had great players that could cover the holes and problems in the scheme with superb individual play. But, that scheme simply does not work with just above average players (at least, not anymore in this pass-happy league).

It's why I want to see us finally make a complete break from the Lebeau coaching chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Annnnnnnnnnd that's the predominant problem right there. That system was exposed in the early 2000s and the defense got lit up for a couple 300 yard passing games back to back iirc. Every since then, it's been a patchwork to fix the holes in the zone blitz scheme and why I said that defensive scheme was already archaic when Tomlin took over. We had great players that could cover the holes and problems in the scheme with superb individual play. But, that scheme simply does not work with just above average players (at least, not anymore in this pass-happy league).

It's why I want to see us finally make a complete break from the Lebeau coaching chain.
    100% agree

The zone blitz was very good in the past but not anymore

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So what do you want to replace it with?

Not a defense of the scheme. But everything got lit up last year.

Cover 0-4, zone blitz, various flavors of the 4-3. Across the NFL every scheme got gouged for pinball #s.

At least this system puts the QB on his butt at a high rate. If they start hanging on to INTS it starts really paying off.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    100% agree

The zone blitz was very good in the past but not anymore
    Only one corner can play coverage on an island and none of our safeties can play cover three or pick the ball off. Zone blitz is what we've got, however it works best vs. the bad QB's who aren't mentally sharp enough or accurate enough with their arm to beat the blitz. If the team has a really good slot receiver, or back who can catch the ball and do something with it, the zone blitz looses its value.

We can't zone blitz Brady or Mahomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So what do you want to replace it with?

Not a defense of the scheme. But everything got lit up last year.

Cover 0-4, zone blitz, various flavors of the 4-3. Across the NFL every scheme got gouged for pinball #s.

At least this system puts the QB on his butt at a high rate. If they start hanging on to INTS it starts really paying off.
    3 things I hate

I hate so much to see our pass rusher like Watt in coverage .... I do not compare Watt to Von Miller or Mack, but we do not see that in Chicago or Denver .... My point is that you can not put your best pass rusher in coverage too often.

Also, all that is zone, it does not work against the best QB of the NFL ..... We still saw that again in the game Chargers vs Patriots in the playoffs where the chargers played a lot of zone and it was predictable that Brady was going to have a big game like 30-40 for over 300 yards or something like that. The chargers had a great pass rush with Bosa and others but you have no chance to put the QB on the ground when the QB already knows where to throw before the snap.The game was over at halftime...35-7.

Put your ILB on a WR, also it is certain that your defense will not be good even if you have 11 pro bowl defense.

These are the 3 things I hate ... No scheme is guaranteed to be successful, but the 3 things I said is a guarantee of failure

at least the steelers have played more man to man last year, which is a great step.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvhjEmNU...pg&name=medium

at least the steelers have played more man to man last year, which is a great step.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvhjEmNU...pg&name=medium
    A zone really doesn't work as well vs a 4 or 5 receiver set unless have a good cover linebacker and safety to cover the middle areas of the field.

Oh how this team could use Carnell Lake. I hope Bush can be that cover LB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

3 things I hate

I hate so much to see our pass rusher like Watt in coverage .... I do not compare Watt to Von Miller or Mack, but we do not see that in Chicago or Denver .... My point is that you can not put your best pass rusher in coverage too often.

Also, all that is zone, it does not work against the best QB of the NFL ..... We still saw that again in the game Chargers vs Patriots in the playoffs where the chargers played a lot of zone and it was predictable that Brady was going to have a big game like 30-40 for over 300 yards or something like that. The chargers had a great pass rush with Bosa and others but you have no chance to put the QB on the ground when the QB already knows where to throw before the snap.The game was over at halftime...35-7.

Put your ILB on a WR, also it is certain that your defense will not be good even if you have 11 pro bowl defense.

These are the 3 things I hate ... No scheme is guaranteed to be successful, but the 3 things I said is a guarantee of failure
    The difficult thing is that offensive schemes are designed to force those things to happen, regardless of defensive alignment or formation.

All the RPO's and pre-snap motions are specifically drawn up to isolate a LB in coverage on someone that you don't want them to be on. Or if no LB is available, then you force a mismatch in the mix of DBs on the field.

As to the pass-rusher dropping...What are you going to do? Just declare where your rush is coming from? Steelers do not have a pass rusher that is good enough (like a Mack or Miller or Donald) to get sacks when every one knows they are pass rushing every snap.

Most NFL passing plays are out of the QBs hand between 2 and 2.5 seconds after the snap. That is down by a full second or two from not all that long ago. Offenses are designed to negate everything most defenses do well. Defenses simply have not developed a counter.

The difficult thing is that offensive schemes are designed to force those things to happen, regardless of defensive alignment or formation.

All the RPO's and pre-snap motions are specifically drawn up to isolate a LB in coverage on someone that you don't want them to be on. Or if no LB is available, then you force a mismatch in the mix of DBs on the field.

As to the pass-rusher dropping...What are you going to do? Just declare where your rush is coming from? Steelers do not have a pass rusher that is good enough (like a Mack or Miller or Donald) to get sacks when every one knows they are pass rushing every snap.

Most NFL passing plays are out of the QBs hand between 2 and 2.5 seconds after the snap. That is down by a full second or two from not all that long ago. Offenses are designed to negate everything most defenses do well. Defenses simply have not developed a counter.

We have just seen more scoring super bowl ever this year!

I do not think it's impossible to defend ..... I mean, it's very hard, but good defense in the playoffs find a way ... Of course in the regular season, we often see defenses given a lot of points, but when game are important like the end of the regular season or in the playoffs, the defenses play much better ... The key against QB (like Brady or Brees) that pass under 3 seconds is to force the QB to hold the ball so the pass rush can put the QB on the ground .... You can do that with man to man, but with the zone it's impossible.

For the pass-rusher dropping, I know that Watt is not the same caliber as Mack or Miller right now, but even when we have James Harrison in his peak, he was often in the coverage, same thing for Woodley.I do not see the problem of seeing our pass rusher always rushing the QB, since you can have success even if the opponent knows that .... Just to look at the teams that uses the 4-3 defense.

We have just seen more scoring super bowl ever this year!

I do not think it's impossible to defend ..... I mean, it's very hard, but good defense in the playoffs find a way ... Of course in the regular season, we often see defenses given a lot of points, but when game are important like the end of the regular season or in the playoffs, the defenses play much better ... The key against QB (like Brady or Brees) that pass under 3 seconds is to force the QB to hold the ball so the pass rush can put the QB on the ground .... You can do that with man to man, but with the zone it's impossible.

For the pass-rusher dropping, I know that Watt is not the same caliber as Mack or Miller right now, but even when we have James Harrison in his peak, he was often in the coverage, same thing for Woodley.I do not see the problem of seeing our pass rusher always rushing the QB, since you can have success even if the opponent knows that .... Just to look at the teams that uses the 4-3 defense.
    You are not wrong. I just think the scheme doesn't really matter. Maybe gameplan...but not what your starting formation is.

I honestly believe you can not currently play shut-out caliber defense in the NFL. Maybe if some new defensive wrinkle or rule changes come online...but not based on what we saw last year.

I think the key is turnovers. Generate turnovers and play decent offense. That is the best you can hope for.

You are not wrong. I just think the scheme doesn't really matter. Maybe gameplan...but not what your starting formation is.

I honestly believe you can not currently play shut-out caliber defense in the NFL. Maybe if some new defensive wrinkle or rule changes come online...but not based on what we saw last year.

I think the key is turnovers. Generate turnovers and play decent offense. That is the best you can hope for.
    The only offense that was impossible to stop for an entire game last year was the Chiefs

I do not think a defense can stop an elite offense every time, but it's possible to contain them, especially if you have some help by your offense like you said....Pressure and very good man to man coverage is the key.

The only offense that was impossible to stop for an entire game last year was the Chiefs

I do not think a defense can stop an elite offense every time, but it's possible to contain them, especially if you have some help by your offense like you said....Pressure and very good man to man coverage is the key.
    It would be fascinating to see if there was somewhere that tracked success rates of each offense against coverage type and scheme/formation.

I really do think your on to something. But, we do have to stop and ask why NFL teams play so much zone if man is the answer (or at least part of it!).

I don' t have any answers, but it certainly is fun to talk about!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If a team struck gold with a draft like the following, they certainly could have a “2008 Steelers defense” for a few years:

2019:
    R1: TJ Watt, OLB
    R2: Buddy Baker, SS
    R3: Eddie Jackson, FS

2020:
    R1: Xavien Howard, CB
    R2: Deion Jones, ILB
    R3: Yannick Ngakoue, OLB

2021:
    R1: Byron Jones, CB
    R2: Benardrick McKinney, ILB
    R3: Danielle Hunter, OLB

Notice how none are in the top 20 picks. Plus, most are around 25-30 in their respective rounds. As in: in three years, one could certainly compile a fierce defense.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If a team struck gold with a draft like the following, they certainly could have a “2008 Steelers defense” for a few years:

2019:
    R1: TJ Watt, OLB
    R2: Buddy Baker, SS
    R3: Eddie Jackson, FS

2020:
    R1: Xavien Howard, CB
    R2: Deion Jones, ILB
    R3: Yannick Ngakoue, OLB

2021:
    R1: Byron Jones, CB
    R2: Benardrick McKinney, ILB
    R3: Danielle Hunter, OLB

Notice how none are in the top 20 picks. Plus, most are around 25-30 in their respective rounds. As in: in three years, one could certainly compile a fierce defense.
    I wanted Howard over Burns. Good post, just fix the dates.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Good post, just fix the dates.
    I had originally planned to use “fake” future draft picks, but then switched it to real picks from three consecutive drafts (and forgot to change the dates).