Thread: TE Lee Smith Makes Sense As Fit For Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

TE Lee Smith Makes Sense As Fit For Steelers

BlackandGold made mention of the Steelers picking up Smith yesterday.

There’s no doubt the two positions that the
    Pittsburgh Steelers could further address coming out of the draft are tight end and safety. That’s even after choosing Zach Gentry in the 5th round. But when your group is Vance “Can He Stay Healthy”McDonald, Xavier Grimble, and Gentry, it’s not a bad idea to explore options.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/te...-for-steelers/

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: TE Lee Smith Makes Sense As Fit For Steelers

I’m not really sure what the point is of having a TE that will ONLY block. Why not just put in an extra OT in those situations?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I’m not really sure what the point is of having a TE that will ONLY block. Why not just put in an extra OT in those situations?
    That is exactly what the Steelers do. And they do it very well too.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

I do not know much about Lee Smith, but I prefer to see him as TE than to see an extra lineman ... since at least Smith may have some pass to him during the season, who is what a lineman is not able to do.

When you have an extra lineman, only 4 players of the team are comfortable to catch the ball, so it's easier for the opponent to defend, since they can double our best receiver or put a lot of players in the box to stop the run or do both.

I always hated when Todd Haley did that ....

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I do not know much about Lee Smith, but I prefer to see him as TE than to see an extra lineman ... since at least Smith may have some pass to him during the season, who is what a lineman is not able to do.

When you have an extra lineman, only 4 players of the team are comfortable to catch the ball, so it's easier for the opponent to defend, since they can double our best receiver or put a lot of players in the box to stop the run or do both.

I always hated when Todd Haley did that ....
    What do you think the 'tackle eligible' is for? That is basically what we'd have with a blocking only TE. Yes he 'could ' step out for a pass but we already run that play with an extra tackle. Why would we spend money on that? I have no issue bringing in a TE but at least get a 50/50 guy. In 8 seasons(107 games) Lee Smith has 56 catches.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Bills bring back tight end Lee Smith

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 13, 2019

Free agent tight end Lee Smith is returning to Buffalo.

The Bills announced this morning that they have signed Smith. He previously played in Buffalo from 2011 to 2014 and played the last four years in Oakland. He was a 2011 fifth-round pick of the Patriots, but New England released him as part of its final roster cuts after his rookie preseason.

The 6-foot-6, 265-pound Smith is more a blocker than a receiver, and the Bills have been looking to upgrade at blocking tight end this offseason...

to read rest of article:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...end-lee-smith/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

You have a blocking TE in case you want to run counter from a formation, put him in motion for an inside wham block or maybe have him get 2nd level on a combination block. It adds a few other options than a 300LB OT as your TE.

When you just want to play Benny Snell Football and run it at the defense on 3rd and 1, then you put in your reserve OT and let Benny Snell do, what Benny Snell do.

There is room for both formations in an offense .

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Ryan Griffin was just released by the Texans for getting shmammered and breaking a business window. Talented TE, stupid and immature act, but this would not prevent me from signing him. Was no violence against any children or women. I remember be in my twenties and doing a lot of dumb things