Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 45

Thread: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    8,867

    Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    I know the Pittsburgh Steelers brought in three new toys for fans to get excited about: Devin Bush, Sutton Smith, andUlysees Gilbert III. It’s fun to think about their potential, their role, how they’ll help the Steelers win. And sure, hopefully they will. For Kevin Colbert’s sake, Bush better. And I think he will.

    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/wa...h-think-again/
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,723

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    There wont be much experience at ILB if Matakevich doesnt make the 53, but I think Sutton Smith can be an even better special teamer than Matakevich. Ulysses Gilbert played special teams a lot as a true freshman at Akron and he played it in the Shrine game and looked good in coverage.

    I think camp and preseason will determine if one of those guys will make the roster and make Matakevich obsolete at ILB for the Steelers.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    5,993

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    There wont be much experience at ILB if Matakevich doesnt make the 53, but I think Sutton Smith can be an even better special teamer than Matakevich. Ulysses Gilbert played special teams a lot as a true freshman at Akron and he played it in the Shrine game and looked good in coverage.

    I think camp and preseason will determine if one of those guys will make the roster and make Matakevich obsolete at ILB for the Steelers.
    Adding in this crop of rookies, how improved can this year’s ST squad be? This may be the most improved unit this season.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,723

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Adding in this crop of rookies, how improved can this year’s ST squad be? This may be the most improved unit this season.
    I agree. Compare Sutton Smith's measurables to Dirty Red and they are all better (40 time, vertical, broad jump, 3 cone, short shuttle, etc) and he is an all effort guy. Gilbert is something like 4.46 fast and I think Olsavsky can really coach him up. I think the Steelers really need a gunner that will get downfield and make tackles, or disrupt the punt returner...that is what is most needed IMO.

  5. #5
    munchy
    Guest

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Adding in this crop of rookies, how improved can this year’s ST squad be? This may be the most improved unit this season.

    yup, seems like there is no excuse this year to have anything but top 5 special teams

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    6,156

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Adding in this crop of rookies, how improved can this year’s ST squad be? This may be the most improved unit this season.
    did Danny Smith leave?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    6,156

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again


  8. #8
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    31,712

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    He’s the new DHB...but hey...cutting Big Red and Danny Smith gets canned? I’m all in.




  9. #9
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    6,156

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Special teams might not be sexy but it keeps some players on NFL rosters, and Matakevich is a prime example. Over the past three seasons, his 29 tackles on special teams rank second-best in the NFL.

    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...javon-hargrave

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    So weird to me why fans want to cut a great special teams players. They matter, and no, not every or any back up player can play on that unit.


    Wouldn't mind seeing Matakevich being kept around for a few more years.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,723

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Special teams might not be sexy but it keeps some players on NFL rosters, and Matakevich is a prime example. Over the past three seasons, his 29 tackles on special teams rank second-best in the NFL.

    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...javon-hargrave
    So Matakevich averages 9.6 special teams tackles a season. Is that a very compelling reason to keep him around, or an indication that a decent gunner like Justin Layne can shoot for making 10 tackles in 16 games and be the new hero?

    I'm good if Gilbert and/or Sutton push him off the roster.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a jewel in the rough">

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    325

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    There wont be much experience at ILB if Matakevich doesnt make the 53, but I think Sutton Smith can be an even better special teamer than Matakevich. Ulysses Gilbert played special teams a lot as a true freshman at Akron and he played it in the Shrine game and looked good in coverage.

    I think camp and preseason will determine if one of those guys will make the roster and make Matakevich obsolete at ILB for the Steelers.

    Good post, I see things the same. Tomlin for his own reasons loves these backup overachiever types. The Steelers will have two new inside starting linebackers, Bush and Barron. Plus we have Vince Williams, who might be cut as he is one expensive back up.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    6,156

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Good post, I see things the same. Tomlin for his own reasons loves these backup overachiever types. The Steelers will have two new inside starting linebackers, Bush and Barron. Plus we have Vince Williams, who might be cut as he is one expensive back up.
    Vince Williams won't be cut, I guarantee it. VW provides vital depth at ILB, would you want to see Dirty Red or Gilbert starting if Bush or Barron were injured?

  14. #14
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    31,712

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Williams adds better depth than Matekavich and the way Sutton is going, he may be able to fill that spot. Williams is also a much bigger abs better locker room prescience than big Red.




  15. #15
    Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a jewel in the rough">

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    325

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Vince Williams won't be cut, I guarantee it. VW provides vital depth at ILB, would you want to see Dirty Red or Gilbert starting if Bush or Barron were injured?
    At 3.8 million a year, Williams is an expensive back up. I'm with you Williams is a better two down Inside linebacker than Dirty Red is, who makes $735,763 this season, but is Williams worth 3 million more this season?
    Williams isn't very good on special teams, Dirty Red is.

    https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

  16. #16
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    9,044

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    If Mark Barron is starting instead of VW, then we’re in trouble.

    VW is vastly underrated. Just two seasons ago, he had 8 sacks... which is like really, really ridiculously good for an ILB.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    VW playing next to someone who isn't in the same mold as him(Bostic) will once again shine.

    Still one hell of a run defender and has shown the abilty to get after the QB. Williams is going nowhere.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    19,309

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Vince Williams is a lock in this roster.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    9,044

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    VW playing next to someone who isn't in the same mold as him(Bostic) will once again shine.

    Still one hell of a run defender and has shown the abilty to get after the QB. Williams is going nowhere.
    This

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Vince Williams is a lock in this roster.
    ...and, this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a jewel in the rough">

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    325

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If Mark Barron is starting instead of VW, then we’re in trouble.

    VW is vastly underrated. Just two seasons ago, he had 8 sacks... which is like really, really ridiculously good for an ILB.
    As they say in sports, that was then and this is now. Williams is a 2 down player. Yes, he has good timing on the blitz, but he's slow and can't cover. That's why Barron was brought in.

    I would not bet on Williams being cut, but it would not shock me if one of the rookie's bumps him off the roster.

    If you are a back up, you'd better be good on special teams. Williams isn't and he's a very expensive back up.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    9,306

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Vince Williams is the best run defending linebacker on the team.

    No way an NFL team starts two ILB that go about 230 in Bush and Barron.

    Plus, check out his cap terms. The dead cap ensures he is on the roster.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    19,309

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Bush and Barron will be in the passing down.....Williams and Bush will be in the other down.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a jewel in the rough">

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    325

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Bush and Barron will be in the passing down.....Williams and Bush will be in the other down.
    The defensive formation will dictate when Williams plays.


    Williams will be on the field in a 3-4 formation ONLY, and he'll need to prove this in camp that he is better than Barron.


    If its 4-3, Bush is the man.


    In nickel, it's Bush and Barron.


    In the dime it's Bush


    On goalline, I'm not sure, maybe Williams plays. His lack of range worries me a bit.


    In terms of total snap counts barring injuries, I expect Barron to have more than Williams.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    19,309

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again


  25. #25
    Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    3,813

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

    That tweet doesn't really explain much.

    How will they be used?

    Will they all be LB, or will someone actually be taking safety responsibilities.

    Who will come off the field? Dupree? Davis? Edmunds?

    Will that be a formation used in Goal line situations?

    Are they going to take a pass rusher off the field?

    Are they going to blitz more out of that look?

    That tweet sounds interesting, but it means nothing until we know each player's responsibilities, which offensive looks they will be used against, and how they will used within the scheme in regard to situational use.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    The defensive formation will dictate when Williams plays.


    Williams will be on the field in a 3-4 formation ONLY, and he'll need to prove this in camp that he is better than Barron.


    If its 4-3, Bush is the man.


    In nickel, it's Bush and Barron.


    In the dime it's Bush


    On goalline, I'm not sure, maybe Williams plays. His lack of range worries me a bit.


    In terms of total snap counts barring injuries, I expect Barron to have more than Williams.

    That makes a lot of sense. The one thing that seems obvious is that Bush has the skillset to never come off the field. That is what they have been trying to get on the field since Shazier went down.

    As far as Barron is concerned, we need to see how effective he is before we really know. With that said, I agree that Barron has the potential to take snaps away from Williams because of what he can do athletically....specifically in coverage.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    9,044

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    As they say in sports, that was then and this is now. Williams is a 2 down player. Yes, he has good timing on the blitz, but he's slow and can't cover. That's why Barron was brought in.

    I would not bet on Williams being cut, but it would not shock me if one of the rookie's bumps him off the roster.

    If you are a back up, you'd better be good on special teams. Williams isn't and he's a very expensive back up.
    IMO, VW’s coverage skills are underrated. For example, we’ve all been ripping the Steelers for having Jon Bostic cover Keenan Allen. In that same game, VW covered Allen (for a few snaps), but with far less detrimental effects.

    VW is our best ILB... although, Devin Bush should surpass him. But, VW is the perfect compliment, and until someone actually outplays him, he’s our starting ILB.

  27. #27
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,723

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    I think we will see VW and Barron start in camp as the starters and Bush will push Barron for that spot. If Bush takes the start, then I expect to see Barron complain about being brought here to be a starter and not a backup. I honesty expect Barron to take more of the load early in the season and possibly be the nickel backer in obvious passing downs, but if Bush plays to his potential, Mark Barron is likely a 1 year Steeler, unless his cap value doesnt allow for that.

    Barron was a hedge against not getting an ILB in the draft. Barron and Bush upgrade Bostic and Fort. The only other question is does Gilbert III replace Matakevich on the 53. My guess is yes he does.

  28. #28
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    6,156

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The only other question is does Gilbert III replace Matakevich on the 53. My guess is yes he does.
    the Steelers could keep 5 ILBers: VW, Bush, Barron, Dirty Red and Gilbert.

  29. #29
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,723

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    the Steelers could keep 5 ILBers: VW, Bush, Barron, Dirty Red and Gilbert.
    I agree, they could. I think it comes down to whether they keep 5 ILB or 5 OLB. (Watt, Dupree, Chickillo, Adeni, Sutton Smith).

    I am hoping the athleticism, versatility and upside of Smith and UG3 beats out the tradition of Tomlin keeping vets with no upside. Dirty Red could be the new DHB. SMH.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    6,156

    Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Dirty Red could be the new DHB. SMH.
    I read somewhere that he's 2nd in the NFL the last 3 years in special teams tackles.

    that's pretty impressive and could keep him on the roster ala DHB.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •