Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Want To Cut Tyler Matakevich? Think Again

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I read somewhere that he's 2nd in the NFL the last 3 years in special teams tackles.

that's pretty impressive and could keep him on the roster ala DHB.
    He was tied with 9 other players for 6th most solo tackles on ST last season (9 tackles). https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...s?season_id=16

In 2017 he was tied with 3 other guys for 8th place with 11 ST tackles. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...s?season_id=15

Here is 2016 when he tied with 6 other guys for 7th place and 11 tackles. http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...ch-Think-Again

So a blogger and Matakevich fan writes an article that says he was 2nd ranked in the past 3 seasons in ST tackles, when he never finished better than a 10 way tie for 6th most tackles in the season. Good way to manipulate statistics to advocate for a guy he is a fan of.

Is it really important that the Steelers keep a guy with 31 solo special team tackles over the period of 48 games??

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    He was tied with 9 other players for 6th most solo tackles on ST last season (9 tackles). https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...s?season_id=16

In 2017 he was tied with 3 other guys for 8th place with 11 ST tackles. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...s?season_id=15

Here is 2016 when he tied with 6 other guys for 7th place and 11 tackles. http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...ch-Think-Again

So a blogger and Matakevich fan writes an article that says he was 2nd ranked in the past 3 seasons in ST tackles, when he never finished better than a 10 way tie for 6th most tackles in the season. Good way to manipulate statistics to advocate for a guy he is a fan of.

Is it really important that the Steelers keep a guy with 31 solo special team tackles over the period of 48 games??

Exactly. This is not Steve Tasker we are talking about here.

I'm sick of Tomlin keeping pet players that offer almost zero ability to help the team if they get that far down the depth chart.

DHB was kept for years but was invisible and ineffective as an NFL WR. I'll take players with athleticism and upside any day.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

I'm sick of Tomlin keeping pet players that offer almost zero ability to help the team if they get that far down the depth chart.

DHB was kept for years but was invisible and ineffective as an NFL WR. I'll take players with athleticism and upside any day.
    There is a role for players like Matakevich in the NFL as long as they play special teams well. What gets me is expensive veterans who don't start or add much to special teams ( kick coverage units, blocking units or the return game ).

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

well, I suppose that depends on how much value you place on special teams.

Matakevich has been the Steelers #1 tackler on special teams each of the last 3 years and is still playing on his cheap rookie contract. unless Sutton Smith or Gilbert can step up and show the coaching staff that Dirty Red won't be missed on special teams I believe he will make the 53 man roster once again.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Maybe Matakevich is one of the best ST for the tackle in the league because the steelers are horrible in the ST for ever, so more opportunity for a player like him to have more tackle.

I compare that when a player has a lot of points or rebounds in the NBA because the rest of the team is bad ..... it's like empty stats.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Steelers new D is 3 ILBs and 5 S!!! Off-season is slowwwwww.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

You are correct. I think if you asked me who was a better Steelers special team LB, Matakevich, Stevenson Sylvester or Patrick Bailey, I select Bailey. We are talking about a LB that isn't as good on special teams as Patrick Bailey. I could care less if he gets cut from the 53 man roster.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I know it’s still football in shorts, but I’m hearing such great things about the new kids on defense that I’m not sure we’ll have room for him this year.

Regardless, the ultimate cut down to 53 will be hard to make (barring injuries). It’s a nice problem to have. I’m excited for preseason games and watching these guys compete for spots on the team.

Color me optimistic about the 2019 Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I think if you asked me who was a better Steelers special team LB, Matakevich, Stevenson Sylvester or Patrick Bailey, I select Bailey. We are talking about a LB that isn't as good on special teams as Patrick Bailey. I could care less if he gets cut from the 53 man roster.
    Matakevich has led the Steelers in special teams tackles in each of the last 3 seasons. he's the best guy we have, unless another player can prove that Dirty Red can be replaced on special teams there is a high likelihood that Matakevich makes the 53 man roster again.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Matakevich has led the Steelers in special teams tackles in each of the last 3 seasons. he's the best guy we have, unless another player can prove that Dirty Red can be replaced on special teams there is a high likelihood that Matakevich makes the 53 man roster again.
    I think you’re right that his spot on the active 53 is probably safe, but this year it might be primarily for depth in case of injury. If he gets passed on the linebacker depth chart will he even get a hat on most Sundays to even be able to contribute on STs?

I think we’ll see versitile guys like Smith dressing for most games. With the addition of Barron dressing every week for sure, is there a place for Red on the game day roster? Maybe it will come down to how well Gilbert plays on ST and ILB in the preseason.

Does anybody know how many LBs we usually dress on game day? Is there a consistent number or does it depend?

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I think you’re right that his spot on the active 53 is probably safe, but this year it might be primarily for depth in case of injury. If he gets passed on the linebacker depth chart will he even get a hat on most Sundays to even be able to contribute on STs?

I think we’ll see versitile guys like Smith dressing for most games. With the addition of Barron dressing every week for sure, is there a place for Red on the game day roster? Maybe it will come down to how well Gilbert plays on ST and ILB in the preseason.

Does anybody know how many LBs we usually dress on game day? Is there a consistent number or does it depend?
    Sutton Smith has yet to take any snaps at ILB, so Dirty Red's main competition for a roster spot will come from Ulysees Gilbert III.

and I do believe the hats handed out on game days largely depend on your contributions to special teams...

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Sutton Smith has yet to take any snaps at ILB, so Dirty Red's main competition for a roster spot will come from Ulysees Gilbert III.

and I do believe the hats handed out on game days largely depend on your contributions to special teams...
    Right they gave Smith a look at FB. Once the coaches figure out he's not beating NFL tackles for sacks, they should try him as inside linebacker as a back up.

Gilbert looks a bit small, and reports say he wasn't very aware. Not sure if his game translates in the NFL.

Right. I didn’t mean that Smith is in competition with Red for a roster spot - I’m stipulating that both Red and Gilbert get a roster spot - but that Smith, being kind of a utility guy who isn’t even a direct back up at OLB, might be in competition with Red for a hat on Sunday.

Our four starting LBs will dress, plus Barron, Ola, Smith, and Chickillo... do they still have to dress either Gilbert or Red? Or do they let Barron be the backup ILB for either spot?

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe Smith passes up Chickillo on the depth chart and Chickillo is the one who doesn’t dress on Sunday.

In any event, it will be fun to watch it all shake out in the preseason.

Sure, I am just saying that Matakevich is in the Terrence Garvin, Stevenson Sylvester zone of performance and also in the final year of his contract. The chance of him not making the 53 would not be that shocking.

I don't think that a guy who averages 10 tackles in 16 games is a lock by any means to make the team.

Inside linebacker - Really, all I want to watch is the development here, because a starting spot isn't even up for grabs. Vince Williams does too many things well not to be a significant part of a three-man rotation with exciting hybrids Mark Barron and Devin Bush. Looking for the exact starting two will be moot. But veteran reserve Tyler Matakevich had the best minicamp of all ILBs. Twice last week Tomlin chided him for a potential coverage mismatch just before snaps, and both times Matakevich intercepted the pass, once chiding Tomlin back as he passed him with the return down the sideline. Ulysees Gilbert is really smooth in coverage and I'm excited to watch him develop, but we're talking No. 5 ILB here. Special teams will determine these kinds of roster spots, and that show's reserved for preseason games.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...elf-132903958/

so the Steelers ranked 29th overall in special teams play.

how does Danny Smith keep his job?

so the Steelers ranked 29th overall in special teams play.

how does Danny Smith keep his job?
    I have no idea

I would love a media like Mark Kaboly, Ed Bouchette or other have the courage to ask Tomlin this question!

The great Danny Smith

The punt coverage need to be better too

PUNT COVERAGE

1. Indianapolis 4.4 yards

2. Jacksonville 4.9

3. New Orleans 5.0

4. Kansas City 5.7

5. Minnesota 6.1