Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your expectations for Devin Bush in his rookie year?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

What are your expectations for Devin Bush in his rookie year?

I do not remember the last time the expectations were high on a rookie player like it going to be for Bush in his rookie season ... it's normal since Bush is the first top 10 pick by the steelers since 2000 ..... We have of course had big expectations on Polamalu and Roethlisberger, but the expectations were low before their rookie season (especially for Ben, since he was supposed to be on the bench).

So what are your expectations for Bush in his rookie season?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: What are your expectations for Devin Bush in his rookie year?

To start.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    To start.
    Yes and what are your expectations when he is on the field?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I expect some typical rookie struggles, decent season at best. Year 2 or 3 should be his break out, especially if Art wises up and FINALLY fire Butler (or should I say let his contract run out). I think it would be unfair to expect a Darius Leonard type rookie season

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I expect some typical rookie struggles, decent season at best. Year 2 or 3 should be his break out, especially if Art wises up and FINALLY fire Butler (or should I say let his contract run out). I think it would be unfair to expect a Darius Leonard type rookie season

Good point ... The important thing is to put him in a position to succeed...I mean if he's often against a WR from the other team, it'll be awful to watch.

Even Ray Lewis in his prime would not be the same player if he would often be in a matchup against a wide receiver.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Pro Bowl and top 3 for ROY.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I expect nothing, I hope his play is an improvement from the garbage we had out their last season. Although, we do have some help on the back end this year, a top DL and a superstar OLB (and one dud OLB) I would hope our def is improved next season. Hopefully we didn’t allow our offense to fall apart just as the def started turning the corner!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I expect nothing
    Devin Bust

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I'd like to see him start a few fights.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Super Bowl MVP

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Solid rookie effort. There will be some learning curve but I’d be looking for something in between Terrell Edmunds and Kendall Bell. Not necessarily ROY but in and around the conversation...similar to how Ben is in and around the MVP conversation at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Vince, Devin, Tyler, Barron, Smith, G3.....I think they all play. Devin will start and play the most snaps. Like Watt but at ILB.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'm sure he will do well but Butler will do his best to confuse him.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I expect him to find a starting role by week 6 at least. If he picks things up earlier I could see him starting. I honestly would not be surprised if he gets some votes for Devensive ROY. Although I thought Roquan Smith would have similar impact in Chicago last year.

What Should Expectations Be for Devin Bush’s Rookie Season?

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a team that preaches patience with their rookies. They are not a team to push them into the lineup if they are not ready. However, they are also a team that does not trade up into the top ten for game changing players.

The Steelers trade up for Devin Bush is the first defensive trade up since Troy Polamalu, who did not start a single game for the Steelers in his rookie season. Still, that was a different NFL. The Steelers need to replace Ryan Shazier was apparent in their playoff loss to the Jaguars at the end of the 2017 season and the hole got deeper the following year.

But before the draft, and before the Steelers moved up 10 spots, general manager Kevin Colbert didn’t feel that it was an absolute necessity that his first-round pick be an instant starter.

“The people we draft, the longer we can keep them off the field the better for them historically,” Colbert said. “You really want to go in with these players and delay them getting on the field as long as you can because over time I think coach would get comfortable with what they can do but to have them have to step out and play, more often than not I think it is more detrimental to the player and if he loses his confidence early it’s usually not returnable.”

read more

https://steelersnow.com/what-should-...rookie-season/

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

My expectations? He starts and tackles well. I can live with rookie mistakes.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'm sure he will do well but Butler will do his best to confuse him.
    what's so confusing about covering the other team's top WR?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Now that they cut Bostic it’s clear that the kid is gonna be thrown into the fire right away.

I think he’ll make a few mistakes but learn very quickly. From everything I’ve read the kid is a leader, a fierce competitor, and had a very high football IQ.

Color my expectations very high.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yes and what are your expectations when he is on the field?
    To justify his draft at 10, salary and what the Steelers gave up for him. I expect him to know the playbook and 100% effort.

I don't want to see any dancing or celebrating routine plays. Haha. Remain focused the entire time. Show early on he can be a leader.

He will make mistakes early on, but they should be quickly resolved.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

He will become the most divisive Steelers message board player. Replacing whipping boys Artie Burns and Bud Dupree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    He will become the most divisive Steelers message board player. Replacing whipping boys Artie Burns and Bud Dupree.
    there will always be a special place in our hearts for Artie Burnt and Bust Dupree. do you really think Devin Bust can join such elite company?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Those are high standards!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    there will always be a special place in our hearts for Artie Burnt and Bust Dupree. do you really think Devin Bust can join such elite company?
    It is an epic nickname potential.

Joey Porter Believes Rookie LB Devin Bush Will Make Steelers Defense Nasty Again

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on May 24, 2019

Former Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker coach Joey Porter was a guest Friday evening on NFL Network’s ‘Total Access’ and he certainly had a lot to say about his most-recent employer. During one of the segments that Porter was in, he was asked to comment some on the Steelers first-round draft pick this year, inside linebacker Devin Bush out of Michigan.

“I think he brings instant splash,” said Porter of Bush. “He’s going to be a guy that can go out there, that can call a defense. It makes the Pittsburgh defense not to have to try and use so many people to try and create a Ryan Shazier.. That’s what they did a year ago. You know, we had like a lot of different packages, we were trying to make two and three people be Ryan and when you have Devin Bush, you can leave him on the field. You know he’s a smart guy, his dad is a football coach. He’s been in football his whole life. So, I think he comes right into the system, does his job, makes a lot of plays and brings that nasty back to the defense.”

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/jo...e-nasty-again/

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I expect him to be named the starter by the 3rd pre-season game. We've got nothing at ILB besides him. If Bush can't start, then we have an issue. He's an NFL bloodline guy, tutored by Derrick Brooks, and loves the game,

As for his potential, I'd compare him to Timmons. A bit faster and quicker but not quite as physical ( or durable ) as a run defender. Bush is a 3 down guy. Fast enough to shut down mobile QB's, and quick enough to shadow backs. Excellent on the Blitz. Whether he's tall enough to match up with the taller TE's, that a question and I think the answer is no.

With Bush, I think he's a high football IQ type with top character. Perhaps the most underrated part of his game.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 05-25-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Future HOF?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I expect him to start. I expect results similar to Watt's rookie season. Teams that want to run wide on us are now in trouble. Teams that want to try the middle against us are now in trouble. High damn expectations, that's what.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

50 sacks, pro bowl and super bowl MVP.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

I expect him to be widely criticized and told to get stronger and move off blocks better.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I expect him to pick up J.D., and spin him around as they both scream “EEEEEEEAGLE!!!”