Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your expectations for Devin Bush in his rookie year?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: What are your expectations for Devin Bush in his rookie year?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I expect him to pick up J.D., and spin him around as they both scream “EEEEEEEAGLE!!!”
    No, you’re thinking of Turk.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I know he will be a huge upgrade over Bostic in the speed, coverage and tackling dept. He wont be the between the tackles thumper, but that is what Williams is here for. Really gonna be fun to watch him fly around out there.

Now, if the game slows down for Edmunds in his 2nd season, it should be interesting to see these picks stand out on defense.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    No, you’re thinking of Turk.
    We already have a head coach who is a doctor (Eric Foreman). So, it makes sense to have a surgeon on defense...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I know he will be a huge upgrade over Bostic in the speed, coverage and tackling dept. He wont be the between the tackles thumper, but that is what Williams is here for. Really gonna be fun to watch him fly around out there.

Now, if the game slows down for Edmunds in his 2nd season, it should be interesting to see these picks stand out on defense.
    There was an article from PFF (take that as you will) that listed the top three most improved Steelers defenders... from the first half of the 2018 season to the last half.

T.J. Watt

1-9: 60.8
    10-17: 87.7

Javon Hargrave
    1-9: 69.1
    10-17: 86.2

Terrell Edmunds
    1-9: 54.9
    10-17: 71.6

I know that PFF’s “grades” should be taken with a grain of salt, but regardless, the improvement of these three YOUNG defenders is a promising sign that the defense is on the upswing.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    There was an article from PFF (take that as you will) that listed the top three most improved Steelers defenders... from the first half of the 2018 season to the last half.

T.J. Watt

1-9: 60.8
    10-17: 87.7

Javon Hargrave
    1-9: 69.1
    10-17: 86.2

Terrell Edmunds
    1-9: 54.9
    10-17: 71.6

I know that PFF’s “grades” should be taken with a grain of salt, but regardless, the improvement of these three YOUNG defenders is a promising sign that the defense is on the upswing.
    Yeah, I think we know what we have in Watt and Hargrave, now they just need to be consistently solid in performance. Edmunds improvement was likely a result of all the reps and continuing to learn. I really hope that Teryl Austin isn't just here to advise on challenge flags, as I think he can impact guys like Edmunds, Davis, Sutton, Layne and maybe even Burns in a real positive way.

Yeah, I think we know what we have in Watt and Hargrave, now they just need to be consistently solid in performance. Edmunds improvement was likely a result of all the reps and continuing to learn. I really hope that Teryl Austin isn't just here to advise on challenge flags, as I think he can impact guys like Edmunds, Davis, Sutton, Layne and maybe even Burns in a real positive way.
    I would be very surprised if Austin is only there for red flag or clock management, otherwise it would be stupid for him to take this job just for that!

I mean, I could do a good job for the clock management and for the challenge if that would be the only job that I would have to do!

one of the big reason why the steelers trade up for Bush.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

👍
    My only concern with Bush is getting overpowered on running plays.
    Can only hope that Butler’s schemes get the most out of him.
    Edmunds better start to show his draft pedigree.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    ��
    My only concern with Bush is getting overpowered on running plays.
    Can only hope that Butler’s schemes get the most out of him.
    you can bet other teams will run straight at him early and often to find out.

and yes, sure hope Bush can cover other teams' #1 WRs better than Bostic and VW were able to...

Austin will improve the secondary.

Another PFF stat. In the second half of the season, TJ Watt has a pass-rusher rating of 90.1... second-highest of any player in the NFL.

Ryan Shazier played a big role in our last 3 playoffs wins.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Bush skills and playing style really suits the modern game. If there were the 1990's, he might struggle. But this is 2019, and teams don't grind the ball or use a FB to take out the ILB as much.