Thread: Tomlin ‘Comfortable’ With Depth At Safety, Citese Versatility Of Hilton, Sutton To Play There

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Tomlin ‘Comfortable’ With Depth At Safety, Citese Versatility Of Hilton, Sutton To Play There

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Tomlin ‘Comfortable’ With Depth At Safety, Citese Versatility Of Hilton, Sutton To Play There

In a perfect world, they would actually have enough capable outside CBs that Haden would move to FS. Since he might still be the only guy on the roster with both ball skills and awareness to generate turnovers. Then Davis plays some sort of "hybrid" DB/LB position and uses his athleticism to rove around and create havoc. Kind of the way Green Bay used to use later career Charles Woodson.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Tomlin ‘Comfortable’ With Depth At Safety, Citese Versatility Of Hilton, Sutton To Play There

Tre Boston is still out there in free agency. He can't tackle but he produces turnovers.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Tre Boston is still out there in free agency. He can't tackle but he produces turnovers.
    I like the idea. But I think that in the "real world" it runs into problems. Who goes to the bench between Boston, Davis, and Edmunds? There are strong reasons that none of them should:

1. Davis needs to play as many snaps as possible to see if he is worth re-upping as the FS solution. Two years in a row at the same spot for the first time might be worth taking a really long look at. First time playing safety surrounded by mentally competent CBs should be interesting as well.

2. Edmunds needs snaps to develop his game. No point in sending him to the bench this year. You don't draft guys in the first round to have them sit.

3. Boston would have no incentive to sign with the Steelers and play a rotational role. That his the whole stereotype he is trying to break out of.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I like the idea. But I think that in the "real world" it runs into problems. Who goes to the bench between Boston, Davis, and Edmunds? There are strong reasons that none of them should:

1. Davis needs to play as many snaps as possible to see if he is worth re-upping as the FS solution. Two years in a row at the same spot for the first time might be worth taking a really long look at. First time playing safety surrounded by mentally competent CBs should be interesting as well.
    Since he was drafted in the second round this is the last year on his rookie contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...n-davis-19007/

If he does not get a new deal this summer (tough to do given both questions as to whether Davis is worth it and the Steelers cap situation) if Davis has a good season he probably will be too expensive to keep unless he is tagged for 2020

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

2. Edmunds needs snaps to develop his game. No point in sending him to the bench this year. You don't draft guys in the first round to have them sit.

3. Boston would have no incentive to sign with the Steelers and play a rotational role. That his the whole stereotype he is trying to break out of.
    This is true but unfortunately this is the likely outcome for Boston. The Steelers of course play in their sub package(nickle, or dime) 75 to 80 percent of the time. Boston would still see a good amount of playing time.

Though it's unlikely the Steelers show interest in Boston until late in training camp if someone doesn't prove worthy of the #3 safety spot. They sure seem high on Allen, he is in the build of an ideal dime safety. Hell of a tackler during his time at Penn State.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Interesting that Cam Sutton has gotten some mention at FS. I still think of him as a slot corner, but I guess he has the awareness to play FS as well in a bind.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Since he was drafted in the second round this is the last year on his rookie contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...n-davis-19007/

If he does not get a new deal this summer (tough to do given both questions as to whether Davis is worth it and the Steelers cap situation) if Davis has a good season he probably will be too expensive to keep unless he is tagged for 2020
    Are you predicting that the safety market will skyrocket in 2020? I mean I guess if he gets to a Pro Bowl or something and someone wants to hand him 10 million per year.

Adrian Amos would be a good comp for Davis' free agency. Mid 20's one really good year. And he got 9.0 million per year (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/safety/)

I get that right now the 2020 cap sheet is tight. But they could just cut Mark Barron and solve that. Redo VW's contract a bit (or cut him) and that is another big stack of cash.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I get that right now the 2020 cap sheet is tight.
    I know Ben is getting a boatload of $$$ but AB's $20 something million dollars contract coming off the books should help.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Are you predicting that the safety market will skyrocket in 2020? I mean I guess if he gets to a Pro Bowl or something and someone wants to hand him 10 million per year.

Adrian Amos would be a good comp for Davis' free agency. Mid 20's one really good year. And he got 9.0 million per year (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/safety/)

I get that right now the 2020 cap sheet is tight. But they could just cut Mark Barron and solve that. Redo VW's contract a bit (or cut him) and that is another big stack of cash.
    I think players are more inclined to leave if a team takes the risk of letting them get to free agency (aka you did not respect me) unless there is no real market for their services - plus JuJu will be the player from the 2017 class that will be first in line for a new contract next off season as he enters the last season of his rookie new deal

Of course if this season goes south and Tomlin goes with it if he does not get a new deal this summer lots of faces may be moving on

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I think players are more inclined to leave if a team takes the risk of letting them get to free agency (aka you did not respect me) unless there is no real market for their services - plus JuJu will be the player from the 2017 class that will be first in line for a new contract next off season as he enters the last season of his rookie new deal

Of course if this season goes south and Tomlin goes with it if he does not get a new deal this summer lots of faces may be moving on
    2020 is going to be an odd offseason, because they are listed as only having $8 million in cap space. And a # of guys will need extensions.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

The Steelers did not pick on safety in the draft. The depth here is not good. Davis needs to be replaced as the starter. Tomlin should not be comfortable with what he has.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    The Steelers did not pick on safety in the draft. The depth here is not good. Davis needs to be replaced as the starter. Tomlin should not be comfortable with what he has.
    I agree, I was very surprised we didn't draft a safety.

that's one way for Cam Sutton to get the coaches to notice him -