Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Most Overrated NFL Head Coaches Heading Into 2019 Season

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

5 Most Overrated NFL Head Coaches Heading Into 2019 Season

Taylor Smith
    04 APR 2019

It can be hard to grade NFL head coaches. Some have immaculate supporting casts that do it all for them, while others have to mold late-round prospects into Super Bowl-winning players. The best way to evaluate them is whether they have performed above or below expectations.

Here are five NFL head coaches that have been underwhelming heading into 2019.

1. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers

Mike Tomlin is one of those coaches that looks great on paper. He excels in the regular season and has had double-digit wins in eight of his 12 seasons, including a Super Bowl win, but you have to put that into context. He has had the luxury of potential Hall of Famers at quarterback, wide receiver and running back for the last five seasons. He has also gone 3-5 in his last five postseason appearances prior to missing out on the playoffs entirely in 2018. Le'Veon Bell is gone, Antonio Brown has been traded, and Ben Roethlisberger is entering his age-37 season. If a coach can't consistently win in the postseason with that offensive core, what is he going to do without it?

to read rest of article:

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/post...XPxBmhnV89l_wc

munchy

Re: 5 Most Overrated NFL Head Coaches Heading Into 2019 Season

i think this is what divides most steeler fans.
    ones that think he is irreplaceable because of his regular season record and the fact he has never had a sub .500 season
    and ones that think because he has such as great regular season record that he seriously underachieves come post season............

im definitely in the second group

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Wow. The lack of information in that article was staggering.

I won't even touch the Steelers entry, because why? We have had that debate here ad infinitum. Look at the Falcons entry. Ignores the massive defensive injuries. Doesn't even mention the disastrous OC decisions. For NYG, just breezes right past the fact that Eli has a fork the size of Staten Island sticking out of him.

I mean, I guess we can go by this self-appointed fantasy guru -- or we could find stuff with facts and analysis. This is Exhibit 5 million and 3 why the internet is just a megaphone for stupid. Plus, any list that doesn't have Bill O'Brien on it or Mike Vrabel or Matt Patricia just isn't trying hard enough.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

In no particular order:

Jason Garrett - because he agreed to have Jerry Jones remove his spine and use him for a hand puppet in order to cash a pay-check. Dallas wasted the cheap years of Prescott and Eliot by running one of the most vanilla offenses in the league.

Matt Patricia - took a playoff team and made it terrible. But he can claim that he made the Lions tougher and brought a better culture.

Mike Vrabel - another Pats castoff that talks a good game about knowing how to win things and be tough and then fields a team that has a stone-age gameplan, ignores their best offensive weapons for stretches of the season, and runs a defense that no one can explain.

Bill O'Brien - just about the most unimaginative coach in the league. I mean I guess there have been injuries on defense and the RBs have stunk since Foster, but look at the roster and tell me how they keep losing so many games?

Adam Gase - I don't care where he coaches -- this guy is just over-matched. He has never done anything remotely well, but he keeps getting jobs because the NFL is full of risk-averse morons at the highest levels.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I agree. Guy gets praised by people whose standard of success is set at 8-8, but his team overall has woefully underperformed the last 8 years

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m so glad I only read what Mojouw wrote and not the article. He said all I needed to know.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Without reading the article, I can’t disagree with the conclusion. Tomlin, as Bradshaw said, is a cheerleader. He’s at his best when there’s adversity. But when real coaching is needed (e.g., game planning), he comes up small.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    In no particular order:

Jason Garrett - because he agreed to have Jerry Jones remove his spine and use him for a hand puppet in order to cash a pay-check. Dallas wasted the cheap years of Prescott and Eliot by running one of the most vanilla offenses in the league.

Matt Patricia - took a playoff team and made it terrible. But he can claim that he made the Lions tougher and brought a better culture.

Mike Vrabel - another Pats castoff that talks a good game about knowing how to win things and be tough and then fields a team that has a stone-age gameplan, ignores their best offensive weapons for stretches of the season, and runs a defense that no one can explain.

Bill O'Brien - just about the most unimaginative coach in the league. I mean I guess there have been injuries on defense and the RBs have stunk since Foster, but look at the roster and tell me how they keep losing so many games?

Adam Gase - I don't care where he coaches -- this guy is just over-matched. He has never done anything remotely well, but he keeps getting jobs because the NFL is full of risk-averse morons at the highest levels.
    Most of those guys aren’t highly thought of so how can they be overrated?

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Ha ha...how'd I know Tomlin would be first...ha ha

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Maybe so. But it's still clicbait masquerading as analysis

If you have an NFL job you are automatically well regarded. Out of all the coaches on the planet someone determined you were one of the 3 dozen best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Best Head Coaches in the NFL:

1. Bill Buticheat - Current dynasty is impressive.

2. Mike Tomlin - The only way he's not over-rated is if he's #1. He's the best head coach not named Bill Buticheat. Who's better?

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Ummmm................ okay. I don't think Tomlin should be on the list. I don't honestly think Gruden should be on the list. Gruden has had one season with almost zero talent to work with and a salary cap problem to deal with. Tomlin had to deal with two players making a fuss the whole season. These articles are just click bait bullshit.

Gruden may very well turn out to be deserving of being on the list... but not yet. Tomlin doesn't deserve to be there at all... despite what a lot of Steelers fans think.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Ummmm................ okay. I don't think Tomlin should be on the list. I don't honestly think Gruden should be on the list. Gruden has had one season with almost zero talent to work with and a salary cap problem to deal with. Tomlin had to deal with two players making a fuss the whole season. These articles are just click bait bullshit.

Gruden may very well turn out to be deserving of being on the list... but not yet. Tomlin doesn't deserve to be there at all... despite what a lot of Steelers fans think.
    Gotta disagree. 82-45 record during the last 8 seasons and only 3 playoff wins to show for it. With the level of talent that the Steelers have generally had? Hall of Fame QB with lots of talent around him, a defense that's had the same problems for the entire time with no major adjustments or corrections. Some will look at the 82-45 record and the fact that they made the playoffs 5 times but with the level of talent we've had and we're in a division that the Browns have continually been..well, the Browns and we had Marvin Lewis to make sure the Bengals did their usual choke routine you'd have to be useless not to make the playoffs most of the time. I think Tomlin is the new Marvin Lewis.

Ok. Try it this way. Take your top 3 criticisms of Tomlin. Now find a coach besides Bellichick they don't also apply to.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Ok. Try it this way. Take your top 3 criticisms of Tomlin. Now find a coach besides Bellichick they don't also apply to.
    1). Team is frequently unprepared to play
    2). Atrocious at adjusting during the game
    3). No significant changes to defensive approach or coaching in years

I agree these types of thing apply to many if not most of the coaches in the league, but the EXTENT of these issues is what's disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post

I agree these types of thing apply to many if not most of the coaches in the league, but the EXTENT of these issues is what's disturbing
    Is it? Turn the same level of detail on Ried, harbaugh, Carrol, Peyton, or whoever and is it really any different?

I'll leave number one alone. Number 2 and 3, however, are just not true. Let's start with 3. When Tomlin came on staff, we ran a fire-blitz defense putting outside CBs on an island and depended on linebackers, cbs, and even safeties firing from weird positions and odd angles to get to the QB. The front three were supposed to be pylons. Unmovable. They didn't need much forward push and they could not get moved backwards. Each guy was supposed to take up 2 blockers (including TE on run plays). That left the seams open for OLBs to stunt and sometimes, for ILBs to do the same. So, the ILBs had to be fast enough to cover but big enough to be run stuffers. The OLBs had to be bulls with speed to get to the QB or seal off the outside on run plays.

Then, football shifted to an even more focused pass attack. So, we shifted along with it. Front three now were not as responsible for eating up lineman. Instead, they were tasked with getting to the QB. The ILBs we drafted were smaller and better equipped (supposedly) to cover the third or fourth wide-out. That defense was just beginning to take shape when the major cog in the machine broke. However, the offensive side of the ball kept changing, so the defense kept changing as well. In the last year or so, they've tried moving to what has been termed the "dollar" defense or a 2-2-7 in specialized situations (.2percent of the snap) and playing more dime (37.2 percent) and as much nickel (29.4 percent) defense as their base defense (30 percent) (which has been going on for a few years now). They've also inserted a 4-3 they ran ten percent of the time last year. That's a 8 percent drop in dime defense, 7 percent rise in nickel defense, and a 13 percent increase in dime. As for blitzing, they went from 28 percent blitz in 2014 to 44.1 percent blitz in 2018. So, yeah, I'd say the defense has changed in approach quite a bit.

As for adjustments at half time, this is a real headscratcher. I know the mantra, but what do the stats say? Pittsburgh was the fourth best offense in the NFL last year in the tird quarter for 1st down percentage, tied for second for most TDs in the third quarter, and tied for seventh best in most plays ending in 1st down or TD. They were 1 behind Kansas in sacks allowed in the third quarter as well. Now, many of these compare about the same to the second quarter stats, all but one. Sacks. Pittsburgh allowed 8 sacks in the second quarter. I'd say that means adjustments were made to keep Ben clean.

The difference that you may be noticing in the defense. But, it's not that the Steelers failed to adjust. It's that other teams adjusted to the Steelers defense at half time. The stat difference is stark. Only 3 teams allowed less first downs in the second quarter than the Steelers. The Steelers were 9th in getting turnovers in the second quarter, and were in third place in TDs allowed and tied for second in 1st downs allowed. In the third quarter, 13 teams allowed less first downs, they were 31st in getting turnovers, 14th in fewest TDs allowed, and 16th in fewest first downs allowed.

So, no there's no problem with half time adjustments AND there's been significant changes. The problem is that our defense was too easily understood by opposing offenses and picked apart at half time by the other team, and our defensive changes haven't amounted to much due to a few bad draft picks an one major ​injury at the heart of the defensive scheme.

Junior Member Array title="Leopardo will become famous soon enough"> Leopardo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'll leave number one alone. Number 2 and 3, however, are just not true. Let's start with 3. When Tomlin came on staff, we ran a fire-blitz defense putting outside CBs on an island and depended on linebackers, cbs, and even safeties firing from weird positions and odd angles to get to the QB. The front three were supposed to be pylons. Unmovable. They didn't need much forward push and they could not get moved backwards. Each guy was supposed to take up 2 blockers (including TE on run plays). That left the seams open for OLBs to stunt and sometimes, for ILBs to do the same. So, the ILBs had to be fast enough to cover but big enough to be run stuffers. The OLBs had to be bulls with speed to get to the QB or seal off the outside on run plays.

Then, football shifted to an even more focused pass attack. So, we shifted along with it. Front three now were not as responsible for eating up lineman. Instead, they were tasked with getting to the QB. The ILBs we drafted were smaller and better equipped (supposedly) to cover the third or fourth wide-out. That defense was just beginning to take shape when the major cog in the machine broke. However, the offensive side of the ball kept changing, so the defense kept changing as well. In the last year or so, they've tried moving to what has been termed the "dollar" defense or a 2-2-7 in specialized situations (.2percent of the snap) and playing more dime (37.2 percent) and as much nickel (29.4 percent) defense as their base defense (30 percent) (which has been going on for a few years now). They've also inserted a 4-3 they ran ten percent of the time last year. That's a 8 percent drop in dime defense, 7 percent rise in nickel defense, and a 13 percent increase in dime. As for blitzing, they went from 28 percent blitz in 2014 to 44.1 percent blitz in 2018. So, yeah, I'd say the defense has changed in approach quite a bit.

As for adjustments at half time, this is a real headscratcher. I know the mantra, but what do the stats say? Pittsburgh was the fourth best offense in the NFL last year in the tird quarter for 1st down percentage, tied for second for most TDs in the third quarter, and tied for seventh best in most plays ending in 1st down or TD. They were 1 behind Kansas in sacks allowed in the third quarter as well. Now, many of these compare about the same to the second quarter stats, all but one. Sacks. Pittsburgh allowed 8 sacks in the second quarter. I'd say that means adjustments were made to keep Ben clean.

The difference that you may be noticing in the defense. But, it's not that the Steelers failed to adjust. It's that other teams adjusted to the Steelers defense at half time. The stat difference is stark. Only 3 teams allowed less first downs in the second quarter than the Steelers. The Steelers were 9th in getting turnovers in the second quarter, and were in third place in TDs allowed and tied for second in 1st downs allowed. In the third quarter, 13 teams allowed less first downs, they were 31st in getting turnovers, 14th in fewest TDs allowed, and 16th in fewest first downs allowed.

So, no there's no problem with half time adjustments AND there's been significant changes. The problem is that our defense was too easily understood by opposing offenses and picked apart at half time by the other team, and our defensive changes haven't amounted to much due to a few bad draft picks an one major ​injury at the heart of the defensive scheme.
    I totally agree with you on point 3.

To add to that, they also switched from 2 gap DT to their DL to cover 1 gap so the linemen now can go through those gaps to make plays in the backfield. That's why the last seasons and last year especially Heyward (8), Tuitt (5.5) and Hargrave (6.5) all can produce sacks. It's no coincidence that since they drafted Hargrave 3 years ago the Steelers are leading the league in sacks the last 2 years, while they were a bottom team in that category the years before. Opponents found a way to block our zone blitzes under Lebeau, but the Steelers adjusted to that.
    Last edited by Leopardo; 04-09-2019 at 05:15 AM. Reason: You already explained that with the front 3 getting to the QB

Coverage schemes on the back end have been almost totally revamped as well.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Sorry but 3 playoff wins in 8 years with a HOF QB ain’t gonna work for me. Calling Tomlin the second best coach with those results is a joke. Not to mention I actually watch every game and see the ineptitude in crucial situations. There are plenty of coaches who would’ve gotten more than 3 wins in 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Sorry but 3 playoff wins in 8 years with a HOF QB ain’t gonna work for me. Calling Tomlin the second best coach with those results is a joke. Not to mention I actually watch every game and see the ineptitude in crucial situations. There are plenty of coaches who would’ve gotten more than 3 wins in 8 years.

Looking at teams with "loaded rosters" and good Qb situations, I get the following (I might be off on the # of playoff wins by a game here and there as I made assumptions based on seeding and the round they lost in)

Sean Payton has 1 in the last 8 years. maybe 2.
    Andy Reid has 1.
    Chargers have 1.
    Packers have 1.
    Colts have 1.
    Since their SB loss in 2014, the Seahawks have won 0.

So applying the same evaluations to most of the rest of the league; all those coaches should be fired. 3 of them have been (Packers, Colts, and Chargers) but shouldn't Payton and Carroll be on the chopping block? Certainly Ried. Don't get me started on Harbs...

munchy

like i said, the fans that are happy with a great regular season record and substandard post season vs the fans that arent happy with our post season accomplishments

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    like i said, the fans that are happy with a great regular season record and substandard post season vs the fans that arent happy with our post season accomplishments
    Post season performance is a significant part of my disapproval of Tomlin. I personally do not like his bullshit style. Its almost insulting. I accept that many of you are Ok with Tomlin & I have no problem with that. I don't like him as a coach but I do hope he can change my attitude. If he does not change this year I do not think he ever will. I'm looking forward to it.

Looking at teams with "loaded rosters" and good Qb situations, I get the following (I might be off on the # of playoff wins by a game here and there as I made assumptions based on seeding and the round they lost in)

Sean Payton has 1 in the last 8 years. maybe 2.
    Andy Reid has 1.
    Chargers have 1.
    Packers have 1.
    Colts have 1.
    Since their SB loss in 2014, the Seahawks have won 0.

So applying the same evaluations to most of the rest of the league; all those coaches should be fired. 3 of them have been (Packers, Colts, and Chargers) but shouldn't Payton and Carroll be on the chopping block? Certainly Ried. Don't get me started on Harbs...
    Hate to tell you but all those teams except one (Saints) have fired their coaches.

(And Payton has 4, not 1 or 2; not great but better than 1)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Post season performance is a significant part of my disapproval of Tomlin. I personally do not like his bullshit style. Its almost insulting. I accept that many of you are Ok with Tomlin & I have no problem with that. I don't like him as a coach but I do hope he can change my attitude. If he does not change this year I do not think he ever will. I'm looking forward to it.
    I have a problem with his bravado rhetoric at this point. Obviously.

Hate to tell you but all those teams except one (Saints) have fired their coaches.

(And Payton has 4, not 1 or 2; not great but better than 1)

- - - Updated - - -

I have a problem with his bravado rhetoric at this point. Obviously.
    Yeah. Like I said, I was guessing at record based on playoff seeding and not really looking at whether or not they played on WC weekend. The point still holds that exactly 1 coach in the entire NFL has a significantly better playoff track-record than Tomlin under the time period set out. Maybe three if you don't worry about SB wins.

So if you devise a standard for evaluation and under 10% of the things under evaluation fail that criteria, you have to seriously consider whether or not your criteria are a valid standard for defining success/failure. And that is where things are setting up. Say that Payton, Billy B, and Carroll meet the X number of playoff games in Y years standard -- NO ONE else in the league does....so less than 1 in 10.

Yeah. Like I said, I was guessing at record based on playoff seeding and not really looking at whether or not they played on WC weekend. The point still holds that exactly 1 coach in the entire NFL has a significantly better playoff track-record than Tomlin under the time period set out. Maybe three if you don't worry about SB wins.

So if you devise a standard for evaluation and under 10% of the things under evaluation fail that criteria, you have to seriously consider whether or not your criteria are a valid standard for defining success/failure. And that is where things are setting up. Say that Payton, Billy B, and Carroll meet the X number of playoff games in Y years standard -- NO ONE else in the league does....so less than 1 in 10.
    Sometimes it's not just wins and losses. You also have to evaluate WHY a team is losing. Is there inferior talent? If so, there's only so much a coach can do. I don't think the cupboards in Pittsburgh have been bare the past 8 years. Even though it's the Rooney way to keep a coach until he retires, I just think a new voice is needed to take the Steelers back to the Promised Land. I was a Tomlin supporter until the past year-and-a-half. My posting record will show that. But unless he proves me wrong this coming year, he should be gone after 2019.

Sometimes it's not just wins and losses. You also have to evaluate WHY a team is losing. Is there inferior talent? If so, there's only so much a coach can do. I don't think the cupboards in Pittsburgh have been bare the past 8 years. Even though it's the Rooney way to keep a coach until he retires, I just think a new voice is needed to take the Steelers back to the Promised Land. I was a Tomlin supporter until the past year-and-a-half. My posting record will show that. But unless he proves me wrong this coming year, he should be gone after 2019.
    Fair points. But the cupboards are far from bare in many of the other NFL cities as well. In the last 10 years there are only a few truly hopeless franchises and still hardly any teams are meeting the standard that is being set out here. When that happens, be it football or something else, I think it is useful to turn the question around and determine if the standard is even a valid expectation.

For me the answer is maybe? I think it is far far harder to win in the NFL than most fans acknowledge. It is possible that Tomlin has gone stale and like Dungy and Cowher and others before him he needs to move aside and let a new voice take over. But I honestly doubt that. Talking with rabid fans of several other NFL teams - they all say the same things about their teams/coaches that we say here. "Never prepared." "No adjustments." "Same old crap. Same old sad story." and on and on. For instance, Saints staff is pretty well regarded and usually has those guys coached up really well, and then that whole thing in the playoffs happened where a guy just whiffed a tackle...can you imagine the response here?

There are 32 things under evaluation here and we only look at one of them in detail. We put the Steelers under a high-powered microscope that exposes all their flaws. Then we look at the other teams from across the room and say -- "See?! They are sooo much less flawed...!"

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Well, we did shut down the Patriots when we played them, so there's that. Though a big part of the result was a great effort by TJ Watt, he was in Brady's face half of the game.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

People here are forgetting how hard it is to rebuild a roster and win. He managed to do that yet somehow gets punished for doing it because people now claimed he had such great talent during this entire stretch. After they broke up the Super Bowl contending roster in 2011, the roster was dogshit. You had a couple guys like Polamalu there were still around but we're just shells of their former playing selves. The rest of the roster was complete and utter garbage with the exception of a couple players.

I'm not saying he's the greatest coach in history. What I'm saying is that there are so many people here that don't really know how to characterize the talent level on the rosters that Mike Tomlin has had since 2010 when they went to their last Super Bowl.

I am posting on this waaaaay to much and everyone is likely tired of hearing from me on this. I get that and I'll try and hold off. But this is kind of what sticks in my craw -- the idea that there are just tons of other coaches that would have done better. Are there? Where are they? They certainly are not stalking NFL sidelines on Sundays...

...And there are so many blanket statements just tossed off around here and across the internet when it comes to evaluating the success/failure of NFL teams and coaches. Most contain a number of unexamined assumptions that never seem to get questioned.

Take the challenge thing. Early in his career Tomlin was great at it. Middle of his career he was average at it. Last 2 seasons he has been awful. That is certainly more complicated and nuanced than Tomlin is terrible at challenges and shouldn't be allowed to make them. Additionally, what remains unexamined is whether or not losing ANY of those challenges actually took a W off the board for the team. I can not recall it doing so...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I must be one of those fans that is happy with regular season success. Because I am. That doesn’t mean I haven’t been disappointed at losing playoff games because I have been. But first you must make the playoffs. That is not easy to do consistently. It’s really not. You know who does make the playoffs though? Teams that are playing well. Winning in the playoffs is not easy either. It’s actually pretty tough. Tomlin doesn’t win them all and he can improve at some things, but he definitely does it better than most. If anything Tomlin is under-rated.