Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5 Most Overrated NFL Head Coaches Heading Into 2019 Season

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: 5 Most Overrated NFL Head Coaches Heading Into 2019 Season

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Now I have my summer reading all lined up.

That example (brain teaser) is designed to take advantage of the flaws in our brains. I haven’t read the book, but I am guessing that there are times when one’s “brain 1 / blink brain” produces false answers (such as with math) and other times when it is deadly accurate (art, social interactions, sports... Polamalu leaping over the LOS).

btw: Brain teasers are one of my favorite things.
    I often sit down with a book and say to myself, “Today......I’m going to take advantage of the flaws in my brain”.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Now I have my summer reading all lined up.

That example (brain teaser) is designed to take advantage of the flaws in our brains. I haven’t read the book, but I am guessing that there are times when one’s “brain 1 / blink brain” produces false answers (such as with math) and other times when it is deadly accurate (art, social interactions, sports... Polamalu leaping over the LOS).

btw: Brain teasers are one of my favorite things.
    I think you got it. I can not remember all the examples, but the fast blinky part of our brain is really useful for a ton of things. I mean, after all, it is basically what has kept the species alive over the past 5 million years or so.

This is a total tangent, but I kinda think the NFL is an example of both at the same time. The fast/blink part is where great plays come from and amazing athletic feats. It is also where grindingly frustrating hawt taaakes and bad scouting comes from. The slow/non-blinky part is where great scouting and innovative analysis and gameplanning comes from. Trouble is, the fast/blink part of our brain is really really loud and talkative!

The other thing the book talks a lot about how we just ignore things we don't or can't know. I know I do that all the time and it seems like NFL coaches and draft scouts do as well. "We can totally fix that guys footwork!" or "Dude has never played press coverage before, but he is tall and fast -- so it will totally work!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I often sit down with a book and say to myself, “Today......I’m going to take advantage of the flaws in my brain”.
    THat's great stuff! Made me laugh out loud.

I did the audiobook version on my long commutes several days a week a few years back and learned that brain teasers are not conducive to attentive driving!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Interesting. This book says the total opposite:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

Classic example is the following. “A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?”

If you answered $.10 your fast thinking system 1 brain bits shouted down your slower thinking system 2 brain and arrived at the wrong answer.

https://www.psychologicalscience.org...ic-puzzle.html

Anyways, if you like Gladwell, check this book out. It's mind boogling how our brains work. Seems we take mental shortcuts without realizing it all the time.
    The answer is that it is impossible. It makes no sense.

That's is a really good brain teaser. I actually did first answer .10.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I think you got it. I can not remember all the examples, but the fast blinky part of our brain is really useful for a ton of things. I mean, after all, it is basically what has kept the species alive over the past 5 million years or so.

This is a total tangent, but I kinda think the NFL is an example of both at the same time. The fast/blink part is where great plays come from and amazing athletic feats. It is also where grindingly frustrating hawt taaakes and bad scouting comes from. The slow/non-blinky part is where great scouting and innovative analysis and gameplanning comes from. Trouble is, the fast/blink part of our brain is really really loud and talkative!

The other thing the book talks a lot about how we just ignore things we don't or can't know. I know I do that all the time and it seems like NFL coaches and draft scouts do as well. "We can totally fix that guys footwork!" or "Dude has never played press coverage before, but he is tall and fast -- so it will totally work!"

- - - Updated - - -

THat's great stuff! Made me laugh out loud.
    Forgot to mention......I rarely win

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The answer is that it is impossible. It makes no sense.

That's is a really good brain teaser. I actually did first answer .10.

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    So you aren't going to debate the talent......what a surprise.

And just to mention the 2012 roster.....there was plenty of dogshit......30-something year old dogshit all over the roster. That's why it had to be replaced.

But hey....if you really think I need someone here to save me, maybe you could explain the old personnel, the players that replaced them, and any scheme changes......and what you thought about them at the time.

I await your answer with your deep understanding of all things football. Enlighten me.

lol.............the team had 7 pro bowlers on it. PLUS antonio brown, emanuel sanders, heath miller, larry foote, lawrence timmons, brett keisel, lamar woodley, ike taylor, casey hampton, jason worilds, david decastro, ramon foster, marcus gilbert, willie colon, cam heyward..................

consider yourself enlightened ....l

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    lol.............the team had 7 pro bowlers on it. PLUS antonio brown, emanuel sanders, heath miller, larry foote, lawrence timmons, brett keisel, lamar woodley, ike taylor, casey hampton, jason worilds, david decastro, ramon foster, marcus gilbert, willie colon, cam heyward..................

consider yourself enlightened ....l

As usual, you just avoid talking about actual football. You're a fraud with little football knowledge that likes to make smartass remarks rather than discussing real football, scheme, and technique.

I asked you to list players and to discuss changes in personnel and scheme changes. Way to dodge having an actual conversation about real football. All you do is avoid talking about the ins and outs of football by changing the discussion and ignoring stuff you don't understand. It doesn't make you look smart. It makes you look like an abrasive idiot.

I guess you're too busy stalking a member here about where Devin Bush is drafted to try to embarrass him....You've been acting like a clown since you got here, so I'm not surprised. If you want to continue to pretend that you know everything, and try to belittle anyone that doesn't agree with you to make yourself feel smart......have at it. The problem is that you're the only one that thinks you are crushing people here. It's pretty sad.

munchy

As usual, you just avoid talking about actual football. You're a fraud with little football knowledge that likes to make smartass remarks rather than discussing real football, scheme, and technique.

I asked you to list players and to discuss changes in personnel and scheme changes. Way to dodge having an actual conversation about real football. All you do is avoid talking about the ins and outs of football by changing the discussion and ignoring stuff you don't understand. It doesn't make you look smart. It makes you look like an abrasive idiot.

I guess you're too busy stalking a member here about where Devin Bush is drafted to try to embarrass him....You've been acting like a clown since you got here, so I'm not surprised. If you want to continue to pretend that you know everything, and try to belittle anyone that doesn't agree with you to make yourself feel smart......have at it. The problem is that you're the only one that thinks you are crushing people here. It's pretty sad.

nice try. its people like you who run their mouth and then cant back it up, (just like the bush fan) are the issues here.
    you make an idiotic statement to defend tomlin then when i call you out on it you change the narrative, just like the bush fanboy.
    you said the roster was dogshit. you asked me to list the players that i didnt consider 'dogshit'. now you change the narrative and act as if the discussion was about changes in personnel; and scheme.
    it appears that you fanboys take the low road and try to insult my 'football' knowledge when you get your feelings hurt. the ones that start the belittling are you guys, all you have to do is go back and read the threads and see who started the name calling.......pretty simple

so, why dont you dispute the players that i said werent dogshit and you go ahead and tell me what ones you think are.....just like your original claim........lets see that football, knowledge of yours

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Where did I call you a name? I told you to read better draft sites...but that is far from a personal attack. I likely did call you a name somewhere or other, but I don't know its the internet -- get over it?

However, you seem to want to make this personal. Like it appears to be a goal in each of your posts to specifically needle people in order to drag them into a personal argument. I have, in the past, popped off at people on this board on a personal level -- and later I always feel bad. I'm gonna try to avoid it here, but you are making it so hard.

If you really want to get back into the Bush stuff, we can. I'm not even sure I'm totally in support of the Steelers making that pick if he is on the board. I'm struggling with say, Bush versus Greedy or even a TE or WR at 1.20. But, assume we want to say that if he is there, Bush should be the pick...raises an interesting series of questions:

1. Are there going to be enough QBs, WRs, and RBs taken to push Bush down the draft into the low teens and early 20's?
    2. Do teams like the OTs enough to load up on them and pass on LBs?
    3. With a deep edge rusher and DL class compared to a shallow ILB and CB class, does that make ILBs and CBs go higher than they might due to scarcity?

There are others as well, but those are the highlights of a discussion about where any given prospect will or will not be picked. Do you have actually coherent english language full sentence thoughts on those questions or do you just have word salad cobbled together from draft sites?

Also, I get to post this again - -CLASSIC!

munchy

Where did I call you a name? I told you to read better draft sites...but that is far from a personal attack. I likely did call you a name somewhere or other, but I don't know its the internet -- get over it?

However, you seem to want to make this personal. Like it appears to be a goal in each of your posts to specifically needle people in order to drag them into a personal argument. I have, in the past, popped off at people on this board on a personal level -- and later I always feel bad. I'm gonna try to avoid it here, but you are making it so hard.

If you really want to get back into the Bush stuff, we can. I'm not even sure I'm totally in support of the Steelers making that pick if he is on the board. I'm struggling with say, Bush versus Greedy or even a TE or WR at 1.20. But, assume we want to say that if he is there, Bush should be the pick...raises an interesting series of questions:

1. Are there going to be enough QBs, WRs, and RBs taken to push Bush down the draft into the low teens and early 20's?
    2. Do teams like the OTs enough to load up on them and pass on LBs?
    3. With a deep edge rusher and DL class compared to a shallow ILB and CB class, does that make ILBs and CBs go higher than they might due to scarcity?

There are others as well, but those are the highlights of a discussion about where any given prospect will or will not be picked. Do you have actually coherent english language full sentence thoughts on those questions or do you just have word salad cobbled together from draft sites?

but yet you cant figure out how im the one trying to make it personal..............

[/B]

but yet you cant figure out how im the one trying to make it personal..............
    Fine. I'm the jerk. Whatever. The question still stands, do you have detailed thoughts to share in an ongoing conversation or simply repetition of previous statements?

I've offered that in a weak CB, QB, And LB class against a deep pass rusher and WR cohort, guys like Greedy, Bush, and White will go higher than their "grade" as teams attempt to ensure they grab one of the prized players at high value positions.

You have yet to counter that opinion with much of your own opinion. That's all I'm asking.

Again, if you can't take a few potshots while debating on the internet, I don't know what to say.

munchy

Fine. I'm the jerk. Whatever. The question still stands, do you have detailed thoughts to share in an ongoing conversation or simply repetition of previous statements?

I've offered that in a weak CB, QB, And LB class against a deep pass rusher and WR cohort, guys like Greedy, Bush, and White will go higher than their "grade" as teams attempt to ensure they grab one of the prized players at high value positions.

You have yet to counter that opinion with much of your own opinion. That's all I'm asking.

Again, if you can't take a few potshots while debating on the internet, I don't know what to say.
    yet you continue to call me out for taking shots...............once again

yet you continue to call me out for taking shots...............once again
    Once again, you dodge the direct and specific question in favor of a vague allegation.

If you need an apology, you can have one. It doesn't bother me in the least to offer it. If I've somehow offended you, sorry.

With that out of the way, do you care to address the actual question?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

nice try. its people like you who run their mouth and then cant back it up, (just like the bush fan) are the issues here.
    you make an idiotic statement to defend tomlin then when i call you out on it you change the narrative, just like the bush fanboy.
    you said the roster was dogshit. you asked me to list the players that i didnt consider 'dogshit'. now you change the narrative and act as if the discussion was about changes in personnel; and scheme.
    it appears that you fanboys take the low road and try to insult my 'football' knowledge when you get your feelings hurt. the ones that start the belittling are you guys, all you have to do is go back and read the threads and see who started the name calling.......pretty simple

so, why dont you dispute the players that i said werent dogshit and you go ahead and tell me what ones you think are.....just like your original claim........lets see that football, knowledge of yours

I mention how you're treating someone else here and you immediately start ragging again, even though he's not part of this attempt at a conversation.

Way to stay classy and show what a standup guy you are.

Let us know when you actually start talking about football instead of acting the fool. If not, you'll eventually be thought of as an annoyance here, and it will be just like all the other message boards where you are despised and everyone thinks you're a jerk when they interact with you.

People here warned me about even trying to discuss anything with you, but I try to only judge people on how they interact with me....not on what other people say about their experiences with you. People even brought up that they now have to deal with you at this message board because they can't stand you at the other board where they listen to your act.

When that many people are saying that, you would think that maybe you would do a little self assessment, and come to the conclusion that maybe you need to change some things in your approach so that people want to talk to you. You go the other way with it and double down.

We're all hoping you're just a young kid that hasn't figured it out yet, because it's hard to imagine a grown man acting like a child and saying and doing some of the stuff you have posted in your short time here.

Trying to belittle another member here by putting his quote in your signature because you disagreed with him about a player coming out of the draft that you don't seem to know much about?

Think about that for a second. Does that sound like someone you would want to talk to and discuss anything with?

munchy

I mention how you're treating someone else here and you immediately start ragging again, even though he's not part of this attempt at a conversation.

Way to stay classy and show what a standup guy you are.

Let us know when you actually start talking about football instead of acting the fool. If not, you'll eventually be thought of as an annoyance here, and it will be just like all the other message boards where you are despised and everyone thinks you're a jerk when they interact with you.

People here warned me about even trying to discuss anything with you, but I try to only judge people on how they interact with me....not on what other people say about their experiences with you. People even brought up that they now have to deal with you at this message board because they can't stand you at the other board where they listen to your act.

When that many people are saying that, you would think that maybe you would do a little self assessment, and come to the conclusion that maybe you need to change some things in your approach so that people want to talk to you. You go the other way with it and double down.

We're all hoping you're just a young kid that hasn't figured it out yet, because it's hard to imagine a grown man acting like a child and saying and doing some of the stuff you have posted in your short time here.

Trying to belittle another member here by putting his quote in your signature because you disagreed with him about a player coming out of the draft that you don't seem to know much about?

Think about that for a second. Does that sound like someone you would want to talk to and discuss anything with?

so is this where i am suppose to take the high road and change my ways while you guys continue to insult me by saying im a fool, dont know football, say im a little kid etc etc etc?

i'll even start by removing the signature. lets see how you guys act now....

Ok. I will play. Here is a summary version of how I see the "value" in the first round of the draft:

1. Offense and defense have fought to a stalemate along the boundary in the secondary. Big plays can be be had if you have a good enough QB to fit the ball into the windows along the sideline and a talented enough WR to fight through the coverage to get to the ball. But, defenses can scheme around a good deal of that - hence you can get away with starting Coty Sensabaugh on the outside.

2. Offenses are now making their living between the hashes in the short and intermediate zones. They are stressing defenses horizontally at the same time as they flood them vertically. It is pulling LBs into deeper coverages than they would like and making safeties and nickel corners make "no win" choices. Additionally, the spread and RPO concepts filtering into the NFL are showing offenses how to isolate a particular defender in a match-up you should win every time (LBer on slot WR, TE on smaller nickel CB, etc) much like basketball does.

3. As a result, defenses are now placing a priority on two things - pass rush from the front 4 and 3 down LBs that are equally comfortable stopping the run as they are defending the pass down the field. To see the dramatic impact of these types of players, look at how Atlanta's defense fell apart when Neal (a safety, but played an important part in defending the middle) and Jones went down. Or look at the pre-Shazier Steelers defense versus the post-Shazier defense. I truly believe that if Shazier doesn't get hurt, that team makes a SB and Shazier might have played his way to a DPOY award. Another excellent example is how the Cowboys blunted the Saints attack with how they used LVE and Smith as hunter-killers in the middle of their defense. Or look at how Derwin James was instantly able to emerge as an highly impactful player only a few games into his rookie season. The fact that the Steelers and others teams valued Edmunds as highly as they did when most of the draft "experts" did not is another piece of evidence pointing towards how strong NFL teams are looking for these middle of the field flexible defenders.

What is my point? Defensive players that can dictate things to the offense (instead of merely responding) from the middle of the field are becoming more important than in the recent past where the game was played mostly on the edges. So DT that can generate pressure regardless of scheme, LBs that can play all 3 downs and impact at all 3 levels of the defense, and safeties that can flourish as anything from a "dimebacker" to a deep centerfielder are coveted chess pieces. In the current draft you have 2 guys that stand out at LB from all the rest based on pedigree and testing numbers -- White and Bush. I think as a result of all of the above combined with the "lack" (who knows if it is real, but I think teams think it is) of these impact LBs in the rest of the class, both guys will go higher than an objective grade might have them.

You, I believe, do not think that to be the case. If I have things correct, what do you think will be the "trend" in the draft? Pas rushers? OT's? WRs? Additionally, if Bush is NOT a top 10, 12, or even 15 prospect -- should the Steelers shy away from picking him even if he is on the board at #20? Are their other guys that they should be hoping fall to them rather than Bush?

munchy

i actually agree with every ting you have said regarding the defensive players that can dictate things to the offense. i also agree that white and bush have set themselves apart from the rest of the ilbs but dont believe either is worth trading our 2nd and third rounder or both 3rd rounders to get them.
    demand is high and supply is low this year for those ilb types
    i dont think there will be any trend different than the previous years. teams will still draft the way the always do. the qb needy teams will reach for one. some will draft for need, some bpa and most will draft bpa at a position of need. i see lots of wrs and rbs being available in rounds 3-5. so i dont see a need for us to grab one the first few rounds.
    although our cbs look to be in place for this year, it looks as tho our spot at #20 is prime for an elite cb.
    i dont think bush falls to 20 but if he does i would be happy to draft him.
    IMO, we need an ilb, olb, cb, wr, dt, te, rb.........basically in that order.
    and i see ilb as the number 1 need to be a starter this year on the defense

id like to see these guys fall, hockenson, ferrell, burns, wilkins, gary........

i agree that matchups are huge but dont believe there are that many qbs that can really do it consistently.
    if i thought this team was a impact defender or two away from being elite, i could buy into going all in this draft, but i feel there are too many areas that need to be addressed

i actually agree with every ting you have said regarding the defensive players that can dictate things to the offense. i also agree that white and bush have set themselves apart from the rest of the ilbs but dont believe either is worth trading our 2nd and third rounder or both 3rd rounders to get them.
    demand is high and supply is low this year for those ilb types
    i dont think there will be any trend different than the previous years. teams will still draft the way the always do. the qb needy teams will reach for one. some will draft for need, some bpa and most will draft bpa at a position of need. i see lots of wrs and rbs being available in rounds 3-5. so i dont see a need for us to grab one the first few rounds.
    although our cbs look to be in place for this year, it looks as tho our spot at #20 is prime for an elite cb.
    i dont think bush falls to 20 but if he does i would be happy to draft him.
    IMO, we need an ilb, olb, cb, wr, dt, te, rb.........basically in that order.
    and i see ilb as the number 1 need to be a starter this year on the defense

id like to see these guys fall, hockenson, ferrell, burns, wilkins, gary........

i agree that matchups are huge but dont believe there are that many qbs that can really do it consistently.
    if i thought this team was a impact defender or two away from being elite, i could buy into going all in this draft, but i feel there are too many areas that need to be addressed
    Ok. Solid thoughts. So where was the initial pushback against Bush going high? High value defender in short supply - that to me has top 12 pick written all over. Steelers would have to get ahead of teams 11-15 to ensure they get him, so hence my original thought he goes really high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

munchy

Ok. Solid thoughts. So where was the initial pushback against Bush going high? High value defender in short supply - that to me has top 12 pick written all over. Steelers would have to get ahead of teams 11-15 to ensure they get him, so hence my original thought he goes really high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thanks.
    my initial push back was you saying bush was the most prized player that wasnt a qb, edge or lt and that you had several draft sites having him go top 10.
    it went south from there when i simply asked you to provide those sites

thanks.
    my initial push back was you saying bush was the most prized player that wasnt a qb, edge or lt and that you had several draft sites having him go top 10.
    it went south from there when i simply asked you to provide those sites
    I still stand by that statement. Bush and White are the Crown Jewels of the LB class and I believe they will go top 10-12.

munchy

I still stand by that statement. Bush and White are the Crown Jewels of the LB class and I believe they will go top 10-12.

i guess we will find out shortly whether bush gets picked before white and any other position other than qb, edge and lt.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

When Cowher players left (like Farrior, Aaron Smith, Hines Ward), the culture of this team has never been the same

Of course, it may not be all his fault but if the locker room is still toxic in the next 2-3 years, it's going to be time for a change.

The steelers had maybe as much talent in this decade as the steelers had in the 2000s(2004 to 2010) but the results were not the same because of a very toxic lockroom.

Also, my other problem is on the games against the bad teams (especially against the raiders) and when they are in the west .... the focus of this team has often been very mediocre, but maybe if the steelers have less drama that will help ... let's see.

8-8 in 2012 and 2013 is not a great accomplishment even if our roster was old or not very good.

Just look at 2013, our roster was not very good, but still better than the roster that the New York Jets under Rex Ryan had in the same year .... The Jets finished at 8-8 too.

Also, 3 times under Tomlin (2009,2013 and 2018) that a loss against a very weak raiders team has cost us the playoffs ..... it's not acceptable!

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    The thing is only one team can win it every year, and when you have an all time franchise in your conference it's tough. Look how Shula with Unitas couldn't win because of Lombardi. For that matter how was it Shula only made one SB with Marino? Those great Raiders teams of the 70's ,hall of famers all over the roster, only won 1 SB in that era because of the Steelers. The Chargers with Fouts and K. Winslow never won anything. George Allen, great coach never won the big one. Took Landry 11 years to finally win one.

I've got problems with some of the things Tomlin does. But at the same token I'm not sure who is out there that would be better?
    The Patriots are not a excuse when your team has only lost once against them in the playoffs since our last super bowl.
    Last edited by polamalubeast; 04-25-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Over rated head coaches? Tomlin should rate.