Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAF is in Real Danger

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

AAF is in Real Danger

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/re...er-of-folding/

"The league is in danger of falling into the same trap as all the ones before it. Money. It’s obvious but true that is costs a lot to run an entire league and get everyone paid. Reportedly, some league vendors haven’t received their latest check. If Dundon pulls his investment, if the league can’t work out an agreement with the NFL and NFLPA, it feels certain the league will be one-and-done. And that’s if they can even make it to the finish line."

Article discusses how the league was counting on collaborating with the NFL on players. Basically getting access to NFL practice squad players and third string QBs in an arrangement that would allow those guys to play in the AAF while still under contract in the NFL in a minor league type situation. That does not look to be happening anytime soon. Apparently attendance is plummeting and the league may not have enough cash on hand to meet payroll - again.

Sad to say, but I guess we should all have enjoyed it more while it lasted!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: AAF is in Real Danger

Once I found out the AAF is structured more like a minor league/farm system, I really lost all interest at that point anyway. Teams have an assigned area to recruit/draft from and there are rules in place so the NFL can see how they woud work in real time. I was hyped about it at first but I keep learning things that make me more and more disinterested.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

XFL will be the “competition” for the NFL...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

XFL will fizzle as well. Can't compete for the dollars without the best players. Can't get the best players without the dollars.

Basically it's bad college football.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    XFL will fizzle as well. Can't compete for the dollars without the best players. Can't get the best players without the dollars.

Basically it's bad college football.
    I believe I read that the XFL is going to entice players to come out of college after their sophmore year with salary and sponsorship if I remember correctly. That means there's a good chance that they could sign them to a three year deal (Junior, Senior, NFL Rookie Year) and possibly keep them out of the NFL for a substantial amount of time if things are good there and developing. It would keep them out of the NFL for at least a season...if I recall correctly. Of course, they'd have to get the players to commit and the league have some sort of sustainablity and it definitely wouldn't happen right away as I think they expect the average player salary to be $75,000? Probably not enough to entice a first pick to come over but maybe it is if that KID can get a NIKE sponsorship on top of the $150,000 or whatever? That could be $450,000 plus a NIKE sponsorship deal...compared to one season in the NFL...which could be roughly the same...just get the money a couple yers earlier? Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I believe I read that the XFL is going to entice players to come out of college after their sophmore year with salary and sponsorship if I remember correctly. That means there's a good chance that they could sign them to a three year deal (Junior, Senior, NFL Rookie Year) and possibly keep them out of the NFL for a substantial amount of time if things are good there and developing. It would keep them out of the NFL for at least a season...if I recall correctly. Of course, they'd have to get the players to commit and the league have some sort of sustainablity and it definitely wouldn't happen right away as I think they expect the average player salary to be $75,000? Probably not enough to entice a first pick to come over but maybe it is if that KID can get a NIKE sponsorship on top of the $150,000 or whatever? That could be $450,000 plus a NIKE sponsorship deal...compared to one season in the NFL...which could be roughly the same...just get the money a couple yers earlier? Just a thought...
    Isn't that basically the business model that bankrupt the USFL?

Best hope is to keep a league going long enough that the next NFL CBA entices players to jump ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Isn't that basically the business model that bankrupt the USFL?

Best hope is to keep a league going long enough that the next NFL CBA entices players to jump ship.
    I’m not sure but the USFL got out of the gates running with some major players. If the XFL could get those names, in this day and age and into the “right markets”, maybe they could last a little longer. I think ultimately, it obviously would eventually come down to TV advertising dollars.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

That $250 million "last minute" donation was a warning sign.

It's hard to sell this type of league during March Madness and Opening day of the MLB was yesterday. NBA and NHL are heading to the postseason.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

It's hard to sell this type of league during March Madness and Opening day of the MLB was yesterday. NBA and NHL are heading to the postseason.
    And yet the NFL still manages to steal some headline thunder from them...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

NFL is being shortsighted. Good TV coverage and decent level of play. Meanwhile there’s very little development going on in the NFL. I fail to see the reason why the league won’t back it.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Idk about financials but I enjoy the AAF games when I can see them . The play isn't really that bad and the rules and announcers are fresh change from stodgy old NFL

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Looks like it's over.

AAF to suspend operations, reports say

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/n...f1n0quetf6e6vl

They can’t even get a champion out of it?

Oops. Cash and attendance seem to be important.

There are several reports out there that the major investor wanted some of the technology and information behind the league and now that he got that, he is bailing out.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It's a shame for San Antonio, a city that really wants a team.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's a shame for San Antonio, a city that really wants a team.
    QFT it really is a shame. The support here in San Antonio was 2nd to none and shows just how much support they would have if a team ever comes this way. San Antonio showed it when we had the Saints here as well. I doubt we will ever get an NFL team here as Jerry will never allow it.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted and I did have a blast at the one and only game I went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    QFT it really is a shame. The support here in San Antonio was 2nd to none and shows just how much support they would have if a team ever comes this way. San Antonio showed it when we had the Saints here as well. I doubt we will ever get an NFL team here as Jerry will never allow it.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted and I did have a blast at the one and only game I went to.
    Is anything in the works with the XFL? If not, Vince M. is a fool. That would be the marquee team.

Is anything in the works with the XFL? If not, Vince M. is a fool. That would be the marquee team.
    Houston, Washington, St. Louis, Dallas, Tampa, Seattle, New York...I believe.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I have haven't heard anything official yet but I agree there is definitely money to be had if someone does put a team here. San Antonio is a BIG football town. They even have a helicopter from one of the local news channels that flies out to all the San Antonio schools and the surrounding city's to follow ALL the local high school teams. Talk about getting the kids hyped over football early in life. Friday night lights is real down here. To bad Jerry Jones will never let us have an NFL team here.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They should at least give the league trophy to Orlando since they were the only consistent team in that league. Everyone else ranged from inconsistent to hot garbage

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

looks like this forum section is going to be short lived ..

its a shame for the young men who put it out there trying to get better and have a chance at the NFL ...

many guys showed worthy to at least get camp invites and that is all you could ask for ....

if the NFL truly did have a deal in place with the AAF to be the " minor leagues " for them why are they not stepping up to bail them out ????
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

looks like this forum section is going to be short lived ..

its a shame for the young men who put it out there trying to get better and have a chance at the NFL ...

many guys showed worthy to at least get camp invites and that is all you could ask for ....

if the NFL truly did have a deal in place with the AAF to be the " minor leagues " for them why are they not stepping up to bail them out ????
    Well that’s kinda the thing. If the NFL were serious about a “minor league”, the NFLPA and NFL would come to an agreement to lend some of the practice squad players to the AAF...NFL Europe was the closest thing to a minor league...the AAF was basically just un-rostered scrub players looking for a second, third or fourth chance...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

From my understanding the aaf was failing off the bat so they needed a bailout from a snake oil salesman to continue after a few weeks. Snake oil salesman couldn't get support from the nflpa and was tired of footing the bill so he suspended operations with a few weeks to go

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    From my understanding the aaf was failing off the bat so they needed a bailout from a snake oil salesman to continue after a few weeks. Snake oil salesman couldn't get support from the nflpa and was tired of footing the bill so he suspended operations with a few weeks to go
    Rumored that he just wanted the tech and database behind the gambling app the league was involved in developing. Once he got that he stopped paying bills. Not clear how true that all is...but yeah...snake oil salesman sounds about right...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Well that’s kinda the thing. If the NFL were serious about a “minor league”, the NFLPA and NFL would come to an agreement to lend some of the practice squad players to the AAF...NFL Europe was the closest thing to a minor league...the AAF was basically just un-rostered scrub players looking for a second, third or fourth chance...
    The NFL does have a minor league already. It is called the NCAA. I think that gets lost in the shuffle too often. There are big-time money interests that have little interest in another league.

All the NFL really needs is a developmental program for Quarterbacks. There's actually no other need. It's kind of hard to have a league for just QBs...

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

[QUOTE=stillers4me;687398]
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

AAF is in Real Danger

Always hesitant when the first interview question is: “What is your name?”.