Thread: Tomlin Confirms Teryl Austin Will Assist With Challenges, Judgement Calls On Game Day

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Tomlin Confirms Teryl Austin Will Assist With Challenges, Judgement Calls On Game Day

Tomlin Confirms Teryl Austin Will Assist With Challenges, Judgement Calls On Game Day

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on March 25, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made a number of changes to their coaching staff over the past two years, some being made by choice, others forced upon them. In some cases, they have reduced their numbers, folding the quarterback and outside linebacker position coaches into the duties of their offensive and defensive coordinators’ purview, respectively.

But this offseason they also added an additional coaching position to the staff in order to accommodate the hiring of Teryl Austin, an area native who has most recently served as defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions and Cincinnati Bengals and has been interviewed for head coaching positions for several years.

Austin’s official title is ‘Senior Defensive Assistant/Secondary’, where he will work with Tom Bradley with the defensive backs. I believe it was Gerry Dulac who suggested that the two would divide responsibilities between the safeties and cornerbacks. But Head Coach Mike Tomlin has a larger role in mind for him.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/to...s-on-game-day/

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

Re: Tomlin Confirms Teryl Austin Will Assist With Challenges, Judgement Calls On Game Day

IMO if I understand this addition Austin will be the Intelligence Coach. Considering who is the head coach in title this is a good move.

munchy

Re: Tomlin Confirms Teryl Austin Will Assist With Challenges, Judgement Calls On Game Day

lol............that must killl tomlin to have to say those things.
    'ummm, he's been given the responsibilities that usually fall on the HC'

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Anyone other than Tomlin in charge of making challenges = a win

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Multiple NFL teams have an assistant in charge of clock management and end game scenarios. It is an increasingly smart and clever tactical choice. I believe we had discussions on this board where the examples from around the league were brought up and discussed.

As to challenges, Tomlin's biggest problem is that he throws too many flags that support his players. So and so is sure he caught the ball and begs Tomlin to challenge it, so he does. I also think that Tomlin regularly gets burned by actually being right -- but the replay being too close to over-turn. Maybe a voice of reason/common sense will be helpful. This makes me wonder who the hell is upstairs and where their opinion falls. Someone has been in his headset all these years, did they either agree with Tomlin or Mike just didn't respect the opinion enough?

The interesting thing I would like to know about challenges, is what have the cost of Tomlin's poor challenge record the past 2-3 seasons been? From my flawed memory, it has been basically neutral. In other words, the team saw no benefit because plays were not overturned to their advantage. They also saw no detriment, because a later play that clearly would have been overturned was not challenged because the team was out of challenges. While, I am not saying that this never happened, I can not remember a time where we all went over a lost game and where like "if only they had another challenge flag". Timeouts, yes -- challenge flags, no.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hasn't won a challenge since the 2016-17 playoffs.

He needs to do something because what he's been doing the past few years ain't working.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Multiple NFL teams have an assistant in charge of clock management and end game scenarios. It is an increasingly smart and clever tactical choice. I believe we had discussions on this board where the examples from around the league were brought up and discussed.

As to challenges, Tomlin's biggest problem is that he throws too many flags that support his players. So and so is sure he caught the ball and begs Tomlin to challenge it, so he does. I also think that Tomlin regularly gets burned by actually being right -- but the replay being too close to over-turn. Maybe a voice of reason/common sense will be helpful. This makes me wonder who the hell is upstairs and where their opinion falls. Someone has been in his headset all these years, did they either agree with Tomlin or Mike just didn't respect the opinion enough?

The interesting thing I would like to know about challenges, is what have the cost of Tomlin's poor challenge record the past 2-3 seasons been? From my flawed memory, it has been basically neutral. In other words, the team saw no benefit because plays were not overturned to their advantage. They also saw no detriment, because a later play that clearly would have been overturned was not challenged because the team was out of challenges. While, I am not saying that this never happened, I can not remember a time where we all went over a lost game and where like "if only they had another challenge flag". Timeouts, yes -- challenge flags, no.
    That's a good point. The true cost of a bad challenge is the loss of a challenge flag and timeout. I don't remember the last time it came back to bite us in the butt.
    The frustrating part about this season is that we were 1 point away from the playoffs. With a margin that thin, pretty much anything can be cited as the cause.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

munchy

the ultimate responsibility should be given to an individual not emotionally involved

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    the ultimate responsibility should be given to an individual not emotionally involved
    Who would that be?

munchy

Who would that be?

someone up in the booth with less chaos and noise around
    someone with access to instant replay

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    someone up in the booth with less chaos and noise around
    someone with access to instant replay
    Ok. But gotta figure anyone employed by the team is emotionally involved.

I think I saw that Austin is going to be up in the booth. If they haven't had a guy up in the booth looking at the replays and talking with Tomlin, then goodness.

munchy

Ok. But gotta figure anyone employed by the team is emotionally involved.

I think I saw that Austin is going to be up in the booth. If they haven't had a guy up in the booth looking at the replays and talking with Tomlin, then goodness.
    obviously
    i would think they did but am wondering if tomlin ignored them and did his own thing.
    the decision needs not to be his........

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Assistant, no assistant... it still wouldn’t have helped Al Riveron make the correct call.

#Jessecaughtit