Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers’ Mike Tomlin: ‘We can’t do this with hostages; we need volunteers’

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers’ Mike Tomlin: ‘We can’t do this with hostages; we need volunteers’

Steelers’ Mike Tomlin: ‘We can’t do this with hostages; we need volunteers’

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Monday, March 25

In his first public comments in almost 12 weeks, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of the offseason departures of Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell, “it’s probably best for all parties involved that we go our separate ways.”

Speaking Monday afternoon to reporters who traveled to Arizona for the annual NFL league meetings, Tomlin expressed contentment that two of his former All-Pro offensive stars were now the property of other AFC teams.

Wide receiver Brown was traded to the Oakland Raiders, and running back Bell signed with the New York Jets. Each, in his own way, had publicly expressed a strong desire to leave the Steelers.

“We can’t do this with hostages. We need volunteers,” Tomlin said, according to ESPN. “We need good players, good guys who want to be here. If guys can’t check those boxes, it’s probably best for all parties involved that we go our separate ways.”

Tomlin reportedly spoke with a small group of Pittsburgh-based reporters for 30 minutes — longer than he typically does at any other point during a given year. While Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and president Art Rooney II have each had multiple interactions with media since Brown’s Week 17 fiasco and Bell’s long-awaited foray into free agency, this was the first opportunity for Tomlin to weigh in.

to read rest of article:

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...ed-volunteers/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers’ Mike Tomlin: ‘We can’t do this with hostages; we need volunteers’

He's missing a piece, they need volunteers CAPABLE of doing the job. Someone who wants to be there is useless if they suck at what they are doing (this should sound obvious, but I think needs emphasized by this organization due to recent trends)

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Some other Tomlin comments from his sit down with Pittsburgh reporters at the league meetings

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'm really excited for the 2nd year of Okorafor. Believe he can be the future left tackle of this team once AV is retired, until then I can see him being one hell of a right tackle. Great talent but just needs to be coached up, still just 21 years old.

When it comes to Burns, you shouldn't have reached. Burns was a panic move 100% after Cincy stole William Jackson. Should've made a move to get their guy.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Burns doesn't care either, he said last year if he gets traded he'll have a job somewhere else.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'm really excited for the 2nd year of Okorafor. Believe he can be the future left tackle of this team once AV is retired, until then I can see him being one hell of a right tackle. Great talent but just needs to be coached up, still just 21 years old.

When it comes to Burns, you shouldn't have reached. Burns was a panic move 100% after Cincy stole William Jackson. Should've made a move to get their guy.
    I was screaming at the tv for us to select either Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack, when Artie Burns was chosen I just sat there in disbelief. a definite reach, it's what happens when you don't adhere to the BPA philosophy and pick for need instead.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I was screaming at the tv for us to select either Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack, when Artie Burns was chosen I just sat there in disbelief. a definite reach, it's what happens when you don't adhere to the BPA philosophy and pick for need instead.
    There were better CBs available straight-up, for that matter. I was kicking over garbage cans at the gas station because we skipped Mackenzie Alexander and Xavien Howard. We could've actually had BOTH Howard and Myles Jack if we'd taken the Cowboys' trade offer for that pick, I think. It was something like that.

Howard was a case where we let the pre-draft grades carry way too much weight and outsmarted ourselves. "omg he's rated a low second-round talent, you can't reach like THAT!" Well, except that we reached for someone completely off the radar who turned out to suck, so yeah.

Like, even drafting for need would have worked fine if we didn't pick the most retarded move available.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

munchy

didnt he already use that line a few months back?

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    There were better CBs available straight-up, for that matter. I was kicking over garbage cans at the gas station because we skipped Mackenzie Alexander and Xavien Howard. We could've actually had BOTH Howard and Myles Jack if we'd taken the Cowboys' trade offer for that pick, I think. It was something like that.

Howard was a case where we let the pre-draft grades carry way too much weight and outsmarted ourselves. "omg he's rated a low second-round talent, you can't reach like THAT!" Well, except that we reached for someone completely off the radar who turned out to suck, so yeah.

Like, even drafting for need would have worked fine if we didn't pick the most retarded move available.
    Xavien Howard sure would have been nice!

Mike Tomlin Sets Record Straight About Immediate Future Of Steelers CB Artie Burns

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on March 25, 2019

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/mi...b-artie-burns/

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    didnt he already use that line a few months back?

Last time I checked, people were allowed to use the same words more than once in a lifetime.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

The Steelers also need good coaches.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Some other Tomlin comments from his sit down with Pittsburgh reporters at the league meetings

I honestly hope Hawkins comes thru and wins the RT job. That way Chuks can be the swing tackle and Feiler work more at guard. Hawkins has LT talent and athleticism, but at times at LSU, looked better as a run blocker and project to RT. I like the potential of Chuks being the LT to take over for AV in the future and Hawkins being the RT going forward, with Feiler to eventually replace Foster at LG.

As for Burns, I too was disappointed they didn't view him as a 3rd-5th round pick. I would have rather seen KC pick him and make the mistake as it was rumored they were interested in Burns.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Last time I checked, people were allowed to use the same words more than once in a lifetime.
    Obviously.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

We would've done just as well if we'd used that draft pick on Ballsack Flanigan.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

We would've done just as well if we'd used that draft pick on Ballsack Flanigan.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Nah, we didn't need that kind of dissention in the locker room. Wasn't that the sweaty guy that called out Ben in the media?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Nah, we didn't need that kind of dissention in the locker room. Wasn't that the sweaty guy that called out Ben in the media?
    Yeah and all his passes were dong completions (cb slipped in the wet turf, safety forgot his assignment and let the receiver blow by, LB covering a WR, dump offs to RB), completions should only legitimately count if the receiver is covered by a pro bowl or all-pro CB, or thrown into triple coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Yeah and all his passes were dong completions (cb slipped in the wet turf, safety forgot his assignment and let the receiver blow by, LB covering a WR, dump offs to RB), completions should only legitimately count if the receiver is covered by a pro bowl or all-pro CB, or thrown into triple coverage.
    If he got a couple of dong interceptions or dong pass deflections a year, without any horse dick PI penalties, he'd still be doing better than Burns. Who cares if he was drafted as a QB, Ballsack Flanigan can play corner too.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Obviously.

Has he used that one before?

Has he used that one before?
    The good teams, the dominant teams, aren't necessarily dominant in stadiums, but they are dominant largely in moments, when they do what's required to get out of stadiums with victories.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

There are *some* words/ phrases that might not be repeatable in a single lifetime. "Hold my beer and watch this" and "oh, crap" come to mind.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The Jets haven't won a SB since before the first manned moon landing and Woodstock. Think there might be a reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    The good teams, the dominant teams, aren't necessarily dominant in stadiums, but they are dominant largely in moments, when they do what's required to get out of stadiums with victories.

I'm ready to run through a wall for you!

Quick question...….Am I being treated the same as everyone else?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Hurt or suspended.

I'm ready to run through a wall for you!

Quick question...….Am I being treated the same as everyone else?
    “I don’t know in what ways you are referring, we certainly treat people fairly here at Steelers Universe. we don’t aspire to treat everybody exactly the same, that’s just the reality of how we function.”

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    The Jets haven't won a SB since before the first manned moon landing and Woodstock. Think there might be a reason for that?
    Maybe they drop the brown acid in their Gatorade?

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    how stupid is tomlin?
    takes a shot at the jets BUT
    does he realize the steelers offered bell more than the jets did?

- - - Updated - - -

seeing that tomlin is good at running his mouth, i would have thought he could have come up with some new material the last few months
    i hope he isnt losing his edge