Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colbert Confirms Steelers Are Trying To Trade Morgan Burnett

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Colbert Confirms Steelers Are Trying To Trade Morgan Burnett

It’s no secret Morgan Burnett won’t be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers for much longer, a self-imposed April 1st deadline to move him. For Kevin Colbert, it’s only a question of if they can get something for him. At today’s Owner Meetings, Colbert confirmed media reports the team is attempting to trade Burnett.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/co...organ-burnett/

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Re: Colbert Confirms Steelers Are Trying To Trade Morgan Burnett

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

so far this is the only legitimate offer we have received for him:

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Haha. Could it be worse than the AB trade? The Steelers will probably give Burnett and a 4th for a 6th round pick.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    so far this is the only legitimate offer we have received for him:

Family size? Not bad at all.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It wouldn’t surprise me if Colbert got a R3 for Burnett. He stole a R3 for Bryant... and only got a R3 for AB.

A R3 pick seems to be Colbert’s cost for a trade... ANY trade... no matter who the player is .

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ross Jackson of ‘All Saints Considered’ says the Saints are interested. Looking to deal some of their late round picks for players. Possibly a 5th or 6th for Burnett there he says. Not great but better than nothing.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He should have been traded long ago. There’s a plethora of safeties on the FA market, it’s no secret Burnett wants out and the Steelers want to move on...if someone wants them, he will be easy to sign after release. A team would be stupid to give anything more than a 2020 7th round pick for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He should have been traded long ago. There’s a plethora of safeties on the FA market, it’s no secret Burnett wants out and the Steelers want to move on...if someone wants them, he will be easy to sign after release. A team would be stupid to give anything more than a 2020 7th round pick for him.
    Maybe. Why would a team with limited cap space want to spend that cap space anyway and throw in a draft pick? I don’t know. Just passing info I had heard on the Burnett front.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

(turns on megaphone)

"Attention! Everyone! ATTENTION! WE'RE ABOUT TO RELEASE THIS GUY BY THE END OF THE WEEK. YOU CAN SIGN HIM FOR FREE. DOES ANYONE WANT TO TRADE US FOR HIM INSTEAD AND ALSO TAKE OVER HIS KIND OF SHITTY CONTRACT. PLEASE STAY CALM, I KNOW THIS IS AN EXCITING OFFER, BUT WE'D APPRECIATE IT IF EVERYONE DID NOT TRY TO CALL US AT ONCE."

Not exactly the strategy for getting the best trade value; I'd be surprised if we got anything. But I would've beem surprised if we got anything in the first place, so I suppose in this case it's not too bad that we don't know how to do trades.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    (turns on megaphone)

"Attention! Everyone! ATTENTION! WE'RE ABOUT TO RELEASE THIS GUY BY THE END OF THE WEEK. YOU CAN SIGN HIM FOR FREE. DOES ANYONE WANT TO TRADE US FOR HIM INSTEAD AND ALSO TAKE OVER HIS KIND OF SHITTY CONTRACT. PLEASE STAY CALM, I KNOW THIS IS AN EXCITING OFFER, BUT WE'D APPRECIATE IT IF EVERYONE DID NOT TRY TO CALL US AT ONCE."

Not exactly the strategy for getting the best trade value; I'd be surprised if we got anything. But I would've beem surprised if we got anything in the first place, so I suppose in this case it's not too bad that we don't know how to do trades.
    conditional 2020 is about the best they could expect either way I am thinking ...someone MIGHT wanna take a chance on him for a conditional instead of having to take the long shot that he goes quickly ( ok well thats a long shot too )

colbert knows the above and doesn't wanna spend a lot of time on it is my guess so self imposed deadline lets him say well I tried , all the while not trying to hard because he already knows the outcome is bleak
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'm sure every team does this before they release a player.

But go ahead and overreact.

Junior Member Array title="Leopardo will become famous soon enough"> Leopardo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Exactly. And if a team really wants a player they will give a late round draft pick, because they don't want to risk that the player ends up signing for another team once he's FA.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

conditional 2020 is about the best they could expect either way I am thinking ...someone MIGHT wanna take a chance on him for a conditional instead of having to take the long shot that he goes quickly ( ok well thats a long shot too )

colbert knows the above and doesn't wanna spend a lot of time on it is my guess so self imposed deadline lets him say well I tried , all the while not trying to hard because he already knows the outcome is bleak
    Like I said, I didn't expect us to get anything for him in the first place ... but announcing ahead of time that you're releasing the guy is the equivalent of turning all your cards face-up at the start of a poker hand.

More of the principle of the thing. You want to set yourself a deadline, then fine, set a deadline, just don't announce it to the entire league first. I really cannot see the point of that at all, or why everything else could not have been done the same without announcing it publicly.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Like I said, I didn't expect us to get anything for him in the first place ... but announcing ahead of time that you're releasing the guy is the equivalent of turning all your cards face-up at the start of a poker hand.

More of the principle of the thing. You want to set yourself a deadline, then fine, set a deadline, just don't announce it to the entire league first. I really cannot see the point of that at all, or why everything else could not have been done the same without announcing it publicly.
    just answer me this .... how much longer do you have to have that HORRIBLE avatar ????

just answer me this .... how much longer do you have to have that HORRIBLE avatar ????
    Mr. Bell-Luther-King-Einstein signed his contract on March 13, so by my count, 20 more days counting today!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Family size? Not bad at all.
    I think Colbert is holding out for some sodas as well. Not everybody thinks its worth it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yup. This is reported dozens of times each and every off-season for multiple teams. But this place is going to react like Colbert is blazing a whole new trail.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yup. This is reported dozens of times each and every off-season for multiple teams. But this place is going to react like Colbert is blazing a whole new trail.
    Colbert doesn't care what you guys think. He has 31 kids in the NFL General Manager group that he has to show how things are done.

I mean yeah, of course you'd look for a trade. But why announce you're about to release the guy? Just release him if you can't get anything. There's no requirement to give everyone advance warning. That's the part I don't understand.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

uh for a 7th round comp pick? lol. If we get anything I'll be happy

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

(turns on megaphone)

munchy

ooh, colbert is playing hardball again and saying he will do it when it benefits the steelers................lol
    burnett should just tell him, 'release me now'. he'll do it............

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I doubt someone will trade for Burnett. They'll end up releasing him (in fact I am surprised they got something for Gilbert)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Teams trade for players (even when it’s obvious that they will be free agents) for a few reasons:

1. You don’t have to get into a bidding war with another team.

2. Similar to #1... the player already has a contract in place. You already know his price tag.

3. Teams get players regardless of where the player “wants” to play. Maybe Burnett “wants” to go to the Cowboys, but the Saints trade for him.. well, he’s a Saint. Period.

4. Trades do not count against your comp picks (I believe).

5. <1% of R6 & R7 picks make NFL rosters. At least with Burnett, the Saints’ know that he will make their roster.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

But remember, the Steelers always know what they are doing. Fans are always wrong.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

cut players do not count either ....

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Teams trade for players (even when it’s obvious that they will be free agents) for a few reasons:

1. You don’t have to get into a bidding war with another team.

2. Similar to #1... the player already has a contract in place. You already know his price tag.

3. Teams get players regardless of where the player “wants” to play. Maybe Burnett “wants” to go to the Cowboys, but the Saints trade for him.. well, he’s a Saint. Period.

5. <1% of R6 & R7 picks make NFL rosters. At least with Burnett, the Saints’ know that he will make their roster.
    With all due respect for Burnett, any "bidding war" for his services is going to be more like a race to the bottom. I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to give him more than the hefty salary increase that is already on his contract this year.

The comp picks do not come into play here, I believe - that's only for players with expiring contracts. (edit: oh yeah, and if <1% of R6-7 picks made the team, that would be like 1 player every 2 years in the whole league. It's probably more like 10%, but I get it, they suck.) The only part tthat makes sense is the certainty of getting the player.

I mean, this is not exactly high stakes we are talking about in this case, I just don't think we have done ourselves any favors this offseason by announcing "we are done with player X" ahead of actually trying to get anything of value for that player from other teams. Well, if I know that, of course I'm going to start by throwing you junk and hoping you swing at it, just like we did with Brown. That's the real example of this backfiring. At least keep up the pretense, dumbasses.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here is what I don't get in these types of discussions. Are we grading from a point where 31 other NFL teams do the exact same thing or are we just ignoring that and grading the Steelers against our own reality? Because we should realize that those two circumstances have totally different end grades, right?

This is exactly how and why conditional 6th and 7th rounders get traded every off-season. Hell, the Steelers did it with Gilbert. I mean some are essentially arguing that 31 other NFL GM's are incapable of doing simple addition and subtraction and can not determine if a team will release a guy or not until that team announces it. Really? Half this board claims annually that they are "certain" so and so will get cut or that this guy or that guy will get to the FA market. But, the folks that get paid oodles and oodles of money to do this for a living are confused? And that doesn't even count the players that are "if we can't trade him before X we will have to release him" each year.

Think the logic through from the other end. A team announces they are going to trade a player. What do you think they are going to do if they don't get an offer they like? Outside of high-level starters, they are going to release the guy. So the announcement is basically the same thing and carries the same information - come get him if you want him, if not wait 2 weeks and roll the dice on the open market.

There are tangible issues surrounding this football team, but what seems to make people the angriest are largely invented process issues. I can't wrap my head around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Here is what I don't get in these types of discussions. Are we grading from a point where 31 other NFL teams do the exact same thing or are we just ignoring that and grading the Steelers against our own reality? Because we should realize that those two circumstances have totally different end grades, right?

This is exactly how and why conditional 6th and 7th rounders get traded every off-season. Hell, the Steelers did it with Gilbert. I mean some are essentially arguing that 31 other NFL GM's are incapable of doing simple addition and subtraction and can not determine if a team will release a guy or not until that team announces it. Really? Half this board claims annually that they are "certain" so and so will get cut or that this guy or that guy will get to the FA market. But, the folks that get paid oodles and oodles of money to do this for a living are confused? And that doesn't even count the players that are "if we can't trade him before X we will have to release him" each year.

Think the logic through from the other end. A team announces they are going to trade a player. What do you think they are going to do if they don't get an offer they like? Outside of high-level starters, they are going to release the guy. So the announcement is basically the same thing and carries the same information - come get him if you want him, if not wait 2 weeks and roll the dice on the open market.

There are tangible issues surrounding this football team, but what seems to make people the angriest are largely invented process issues. I can't wrap my head around it.

There's not much to wrap your head around.

"Why say anything?" That's really all there is to it.

You can argue at length about how it's probably not that harmful and other teams probably do it all the time. But tell me - what is the advantage of saying "we're about to release this guy, any trade offers?" instead of simply "we're listening to trade offers for this guy?" There isn't any. Why not just keep your mouth shut about the releasing part until you do it.

Maybe the other GMs are all smart enough to figure it out, maybe not. The folks that get paid to do this for a living fuck up ALL the time. Is it really outside the realm of possibility that all 31 other teams might not have the right read on EVERY player's value and his odds of being released/traded/extended/some other move? As many people love to say, "all it takes is one team dumb enough to make an offer."

I just don't see why if you were a GM, you wouldn't take any chance you could get of gaining an advantage, even if it's a slim one. You get paid oodles and oodles of money to do this for a living, after all.
    See you Space Cowboy ...