Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Devin White: I’ll be looking for $100 million in five years

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Devin White: I’ll be looking for $100 million in five years

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    We'll disagree. It's speaking the truth for Aaron Donald or JJ Watt to say that. Not so for a guy who's only played against college boys. Again, he's in a job interview and it sends the wrong message that you're only interested in money. I guess I'm just old school on that stuff.

#straightcashhomey
    I think of it as similar to Skier Mikeala Shiffrin in 2014 as saying " I want to win 5 gold medals in the 2018 Olympics". Be bold, have lofty ambitions and tell people about it, so that you are going to have to work to be accountable for achieving those goals.

She only won 2 medals in 2018, but she wasn't afraid of people doubting her because she wanted to achieve greatness. I don't know the context of Devin White's statement, but I hope he just doesn't give a Fu@k about the doubters and is gonna grind the next 5 years and make his bank.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think of it as similar to Skier Mikeala Shiffrin in 2014 as saying " I want to win 5 gold medals in the 2018 Olympics". Be bold, have lofty ambitions and tell people about it, so that you are going to have to work to be accountable for achieving those goals.

She only won 2 medals in 2018, but she wasn't afraid of people doubting her because she wanted to achieve greatness. I don't know the context of Devin White's statement, but I hope he just doesn't give a Fu@k about the doubters and is gonna grind the next 5 years and make his bank.
    This quote, referring to himself in the third person, is far different than your example. Different strokes for different folks. I find it obnoxious, but you like it. Either way, I don't think it'll have any effect on the Steelers since he'll be long gone before they pick.

“People know ‘Devin isn’t going to be on the board long, and we’re not going to find another Devin 10 years from now. He’s rare,’” White said, via Roy Lang of the Shreveport Times. “Draft me, because when I hit free agency in five years, the price will go up. I’ll be looking for $100 million then.”

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

This quote, referring to himself in the third person, is far different than your example. Different strokes for different folks. I find it obnoxious, but you like it. Either way, I don't think it'll have any effect on the Steelers since he'll be long gone before they pick.

“People know ‘Devin isn’t going to be on the board long, and we’re not going to find another Devin 10 years from now. He’s rare,’” White said, via Roy Lang of the Shreveport Times. “Draft me, because when I hit free agency in five years, the price will go up. I’ll be looking for $100 million then.”
    Yeah, I don't mind people with confidence articulating that and putting in the work to achieve it. Its the talkers that don't think they need to put in the work to achieve lofty goals that I am not a big fan of. That quote sounds like he is trying to pump up his draft stock as far as possible.

But....I loves me some people talkin bout themselves in the 3rd person!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    But....El-Gonzo loves him some people talkin bout themselves in the 3rd person!
    Fixed it for you.

Here’s my kind of guy:

"Going in the NFL, I think some guys look at the money aspect," Hockenson told reporters during Iowa's pro day. "Don't get me wrong, you're playing football for a living. What's a better job than that? On the same hand, you're playing football. You're playing the best game on earth. It's a lot of fun. You can only play this game so much. I want to push myself. I want to go to the next level and see what I can do. I'm not in it for the money. I want to see how far I can go, see what my work-ethic does at the next level."

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here’s my kind of guy:

"Going in the NFL, I think some guys look at the money aspect," Hockenson told reporters during Iowa's pro day. "Don't get me wrong, you're playing football for a living. What's a better job than that? On the same hand, you're playing football. You're playing the best game on earth. It's a lot of fun. You can only play this game so much. I want to push myself. I want to go to the next level and see what I can do. I'm not in it for the money. I want to see how far I can go, see what my work-ethic does at the next level."
    You're right. That comes across far better.

I always wonder if the childhood backgrounds of each guy plays a role in how they prioritize why they play. I suspect it does, but am not going to try and speak for any of these kids.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I always wonder if the childhood backgrounds of each guy plays a role in how they prioritize why they play. I suspect it does, but am not going to try and speak for any of these kids.

Ohhhhh noooooooooo's he called them kids ..............................

somewhere Antonio Brown is about to read mojouw the riot act
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Ohhhhh noooooooooo's he called them kids ..............................

somewhere Antonio Brown is about to read mojouw the riot act
    I'm glad someone caught it! I've been trying to drop it into as many posts as I can.

Once I hear from AB, I will update everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

No doubt. I'd suggest that they all get a little life coaching as part of their draft prep. But then some people in this thread really like Devin White's approach so beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I would take this guy in a heartbeat. Worry about the rest later. I think too many people are just looking at a couple sentences by this kid. I saw an interview with him yesterday on ESPN. He is confident in his skills and strives to be the best, but he seems humble about life. He seems intelligent, and speaks of helping his family when he gets his first check.

I think this kid is going to be a great player, and some of his words scare people because of how a couple of players acted in the last year.

I'll take a great player for 5 years and then take my chances on signing him. If he doesn't work with the team on a new contract going into his final season......trade him.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

You know who is reeeally humble: Tyler Matakevich

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I've heard Burns and Dupree are super humble as well.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

We need 10 more just like him.....humble.

Special teams coverage units will be killer...….

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

No problem with Devin White's goals. I hope he earns it then gets it.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’d take five years of “125 tackles, 12 TFLs, 5 FFs, 5 sacks, 3 INTs” per season... and then seeing White leave as a free agent -wait- in five years he wants $20 million per season. Deal!!! There are scrub players making close to that now (let alone in 2024).