Thread: Steelers To Release S Morgan Burnett Before April 1

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers To Release S Morgan Burnett Before April 1

According to Adam Schefter:

Steelers have informed veteran S Morgan Burnett that they will release him by April 1, per the player’s request, said his agent Kevin Conner. Burnett was told release would occur Weds, but Steelers say accounting issues will delay it another week. Another S about to be on market

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steelers To Release S Morgan Burnett Before April 1

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Not sure why this move before the draft other than playing nice with Burnett and his agent. Moving into the draft we have Davis, Edmunds, and Dangerfield. Is that it? Will Barron move between safety and ILB? I thought it made sense today to let Burnett play his safety role and have Edmunds play the more hybrid role. But whatever really. Maybe just need the cap money to sign another FA. Have to wait and see.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Not sure why this move before the draft other than playing nice with Burnett and his agent. Moving into the draft we have Davis, Edmunds, and Dangerfield. Is that it? Will Barron move between safety and ILB? I thought it made sense today to let Burnett play his safety role and have Edmunds play the more hybrid role. But whatever really. Maybe just need the cap money to sign another FA. Have to wait and see.
    If they were playing nice with Burnett I would think they would have released him before free agency started - less slots available for him now

May have kept him on until now in case they struck out on signing a CB and/or ILB who could somewhat help the pass defense and would have been desperate to keep him as a possible option.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    If they were playing nice with Burnett I would think they would have released him before free agency started - less slots available for him now

May have kept him on until now in case they struck out on signing a CB and/or ILB who could somewhat help the pass defense and would have been desperate to keep him as a possible option.
    Agreed. But if so why not hang on to Burnett until AFTER the draft? Still one rolled ankle away from PS/ST guys back there. I think if we get news fairly soon that somebody else has also been let go, or restructured, then I think this is more of a pre draft cap move. I’m just bored and spit balling though really. Just something to speculate on.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Agreed. But if so why not hang on to Burnett until AFTER the draft? Still one rolled ankle away from PS/ST guys back there. I think if we get news fairly soon that somebody else has also been let go, or restructured, then I think this is more of a pre draft cap move. I’m just bored and spit balling though really. Just something to speculate on.
    If they hung on to Burnett until after the draft they would really be screwing with him

Releasing him does free up cap space of around $5 million, which is about the amount of Ben’s roster bonus that came due last week after anything for the team Ben did not get his new contract done in time for that bonus to be rolled into his new contract that presumably will help out on 2019 cap relief

Well then there it is. The numbers match. Add safety to the 1st three round watch list if one wasn’t already there.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Add safety to the 1st three round watch list if one wasn’t already there.
    I agree, plus Sean Davis will be an UFA next season.

I believe the delay is due to something with “accounting”.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They have to "fix the glitch"

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

the release will probably have a June 1 designation.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

We’re screwed.
    We didn’t use him correctly.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Good riddance, another fail in FA for the defense

Joe Haden has been the one, single, exception

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TD's & Beer View Post
    Good riddance, another fail in FA for the defense

Joe Haden has been the one, single, exception
    Hilton and Alualu were good pickups. Yeah I know they're depth players, but you need that for any good team.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    We’re screwed.
    We didn’t use him correctly.
    there goes our Super Bowl window...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    If they hung on to Burnett until after the draft they would really be screwing with him
    They are trying their best to not treat him like a human.