Thread: CB Mike Hilton To Wait Before Signing Tender With Team

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

CB Mike Hilton To Wait Before Signing Tender With Team

Pittsburgh Steelers Cornerback Mike Hilton To Wait Before Signing Tender With Team

March 20, 2019

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — One of the more productive Steelers defensive players is looking for a new deal with the team.

ESPN reports cornerback Mike Hilton is going wait to sign the exclusive rights free agent tender Pittsburgh placed on him earlier in the offseason.

“Contract situation to watch in Pittsburgh: After two productive years, slot corner Mike Hilton plans to wait to sign his ERFA tender while exploring a new deal, per source. One of team’s best tacklers won’t miss offseason work, though. Similar approach to Al Villanueva in ’17.”

to read rest of article:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...-for-new-deal/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: CB Mike Hilton To Wait Before Signing Tender With Team

Good for him.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

"How bad do you want to keep me beyond just this season - if you force me to play for the minimum, I'm not putting up with that shit when I'm a REAL free agent, see yuh."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Believe AV did the same thing.

Hilton has balled out for 2 years in a row. Give him his money.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Everybody loved him then last year everybody hated him...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Everybody loved him then last year everybody hated him...
    He was the one CB out of the whole truckload of young up-and-comers who didn't completely lose his shit. I'd love to see him back long-term for the right price.

It's just a little complicated because he's in that weird tweener spot where he's a stud nickel CB but only a situational #2, so how do you deal with that? Can't pay him $8 million a year for that role.

Maybe this is one case where it actually would make sense to do one of those dramatically escalating short term cap-trick contracts we've been handing out lately. Cheap for the next couple of seasons, and then bumps up to $8M around the same time we expect Haden to be gone. If he's ready for an everyday role then, great, it's not a bad price; if he's still a slot corner, then too bad but we've got to get someone else.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Hope we keep him, I have always liked him and feel his play has been solid.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I hope they keep him too, have always liked him despite the fact he was a patriot

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think Hilton deserves a 'real' contract. Give him one.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Didn't he get like soft benched end of last season? I feel like they started playing Sutton more. Can't remember.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Didn't he get like soft benched end of last season? I feel like they started playing Sutton more. Can't remember.
    Believe he was for two possession's and Hilton was brought back in.

He struggled a little down the stretch this past season but he's been more good than bad during his time with the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

He's our best slot CB and although he struggled at times last year (though seriously, what CB doesn't struggle sometimes?), he earned an extension. If anything, his blitzing ability is worth bringing back, he's one of the best blitzing CB's I've seen for a while. Pay him!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Would losing Hilton be that much of a blow? I mean one of the blog sites put up Hilton’s 2018 highlights video...the video was 1 minute and 1 second long. The first :30 there was one highlight and the rest of the “highlights” were much less than average. Actually am questioning why I was higher on him than any of the other guys not named Haden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Would losing Hilton be that much of a blow? I mean one of the blog sites put up Hilton’s 2018 highlights video...the video was 1 minute and 1 second long. The first :30 there was one highlight and the rest of the “highlights” were much less than average. Actually am questioning why I was higher on him than any of the other guys not named Haden.
    Depends how the staff feels about Sutton. IMO though, you can never have too much capable corners especially with the 3-4 wide pretty much almost being base formations in the modern nfl

Yeah, but highlights don't tell the real tale. If an opposing QB is watching film on the Steelers. He sees there's only two places where a throw might get challenged. Haden and Hilton. And, Haden's getting a bit older and having to rely on wiles as much as pure physical speed and talent at this point. So, challenge him before Hilton.

I'm not saying Hilton is the best overall CB on the field, just that he plays a better Nickel CB than anyone else but Haden plays their CB positions.

If he's willing to sign for like ... $3M, maybe $4M it makes sense. If he wants starting CB money, then you have to let him get it somewhere else. Not a gamble I'd feel comfortable making, and you can't afford to pay your slot corner $8 million.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I keep forgetting... do we like Mike Hilton or not???

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If he's willing to sign for like ... $3M, maybe $4M it makes sense. If he wants starting CB money, then you have to let him get it somewhere else. Not a gamble I'd feel comfortable making, and you can't afford to pay your slot corner $8 million.
    If he’s that good though, you need three starting CBS. You need a 1 and two 2s to succeed against the passing attacks in this league.

Sutton isn’t the answer to anything. If Hilton is the best nickel CB in the league, he deserves CB2 money. If he’s the CB in the “highlight” film, he does not deserve that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

If he’s that good though, you need three starting CBS. You need a 1 and two 2s to succeed against the passing attacks in this league.

Sutton isn’t the answer to anything. If Hilton is the best nickel CB in the league, he deserves CB2 money. If he’s the CB in the “highlight” film, he does not deserve that.
    That's the thing, I don't think anyone knows if he's that good. So far he seems to be in this odd place where he's really good situationally, but he struggles the more you use him.

Sutton crapping out has nothing to do with whether we need Hilton. We just need another totally different player who's better than Sutton, that's what it boils down to.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think Hilton deserves a 'real' contract. Give him one.
    That's what we all said about Boz.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Hilton's lack of size has become an issue, I think the Steelers would like to upgrade the slot CB position.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Hilton's lack of size has become an issue
    that's what she said

Hilton's lack of size has become an issue, I think the Steelers would like to upgrade the slot CB position.
    With their scouting abilty of defensive backs? good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    With their scouting abilty of defensive backs? good luck.
    good point, I'm hoping Teryl Austin has a clue.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

good point, I'm hoping Teryl Austin has a clue.

He can't hurt.....