Thread: New fun draft game/discussion thread

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

New fun draft game/discussion thread

Here’s the idea. The Steelers select at pick 20. Make a list of ‘your’ top 20 players for the Steelers in this draft. So rank players 1-20 with 1 being your favorite pick if your 2019 draft wish came true. Then we can all discuss, debate, and have player names to look at film on for our own evals if we are that kind of nerd. I am.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: New fun draft game/discussion thread

Boy! 20 is a lot to commit to huh? Well, here's my list so maybe we can get 1 of these 20 players day 1. Discuss or ignore...Every player is available...GO!

1. Nick Bosa
    2. Josh Allen
    3. TJ Hockenson
    4. DK Metcalf
    5. Brian Burns
    6. Clelin Ferrell
    7. Devin White
    8. Hakeem Butler
    9. Quinnen Williams
    10. Greedy Williams
    11. Christian Wilkins
    12. Deandre Baker
    13. Byron Murphy
    14. Noah Fant
    15. Mack Wilson
    16. Devin Bush
    17. Irv Smith Jr
    18. AJ Brown
    19. Deebo Samuel
    20. Kelvin Harmon

Who did I leave off? Who should I leave off? What is your list?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This is actually how draft boards are created.

They list the players they want AND the players they don’t want/don’t need. Every time a player from list two gets drafted, a player from list one gets closer to their pick.

Then, they have trades set up (how much it would cost to move up to each pick).

If at 16, they have 5 players left from their list, then there is no need to trade up (unless someone from high up in that list has fallen). Whereas, if there is only two players left from that list, then they might trade up to get one of those two.

I’ll work on this.

Junior Member Array title="Leopardo will become famous soon enough"> Leopardo's Avatar

My list:

1. Nick Bosa
    2. Devin White
    3. Josh Allen
    4. Quinnen Williams
    5. Clelin Ferrell
    6. D.K. Metcalf
    7. T.J. Hockenson
    8. A.J. Brown
    9. Byron Murphy
    10. Jawaan Taylor
    11. Ed Oliver
    12. Montez Sweat
    13. Noah Fant
    14. Brian Burns
    15. DeAndre Baker
    16. Deebo Samuel
    17. Rashan Gary
    18. Jonah Williams
    19. Jonathan Abram
    20. Cody Ford

I've based my list on a combination of our needs and player skills. If a player who's not a need is clearly in a higher tier than a player who's a need I go with the player who's clearly better. Nick Bosa is my clear #1. It's very close for me between Devin White and Josh Allen, but I believe ILB is a bigger need. After those 3 there's a big gap to the other players of need so I've put Quinnen Williams at 4 because he's at Nick Bosa's level. Again very close for me between 5 and 9. I really like A.J. Brown, he reminds me a lot of JuJu. Jawaan Taylor and Ed Oliver are 2 other players at a position that aren't a big need for us, but for me they are better than the next tier. It's close again between 12 and 16. Between 17 and 20 other players who aren't a need, but who are first-round prospects imo.

Not on my list: other ILB's than Devin White because I haven't a first-round grade on them, Greedy Williams because he's too raw for me and the Steelers can't develop CB's, and Marquise Brown who I consider the best WR in this draft but someone who's a cousin of AB and which nickname is Hollywood is a red flag for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopardo View Post
    My list:

1. Nick Bosa
    2. Devin White
    3. Josh Allen
    4. Quinnen Williams
    5. Clelin Ferrell
    6. D.K. Metcalf
    7. T.J. Hockenson
    8. A.J. Brown
    9. Byron Murphy
    10. Jawaan Taylor
    11. Ed Oliver
    12. Montez Sweat
    13. Noah Fant
    14. Brian Burns
    15. DeAndre Baker
    16. Deebo Samuel
    17. Rashan Gary
    18. Jonah Williams
    19. Jonathan Abram
    20. Cody Ford

I've based my list on a combination of our needs and player skills. If a player who's not a need is clearly in a higher tier than a player who's a need I go with the player who's clearly better. Nick Bosa is my clear #1. It's very close for me between Devin White and Josh Allen, but I believe ILB is a bigger need. After those 3 there's a big gap to the other players of need so I've put Quinnen Williams at 4 because he's at Nick Bosa's level. Again very close for me between 5 and 9. I really like A.J. Brown, he reminds me a lot of JuJu. Jawaan Taylor and Ed Oliver are 2 other players at a position that aren't a big need for us, but for me they are better than the next tier. It's close again between 12 and 16. Between 17 and 20 other players who aren't a need, but who are first-round prospects imo.

Not on my list: other ILB's than Devin White because I haven't a first-round grade on them, Greedy Williams because he's too raw for me and the Steelers can't develop CB's, and Marquise Brown who I consider the best WR in this draft but someone who's a cousin of AB and which nickname is Hollywood is a red flag for me.
    First off, great post. And I put my list together in a similar mind.

As for Marguise Brown I don’t have him on my list either. I think he is a 1st round talent but not what I would want size-wise. Plus the Lisfranc injury is a bigger red flag for me than being AB’s cousin. If he gave himself the nickname ‘Hollywood’ I would be more concerned as well.

I went size, speed, and athleticism on offense. Hockenson ahead of Metcalf mostly because he’s more important for the run game as well.

I don’t disagree with your thoughts on the ILB class. Just think it is too big of a need not to have these 3 on my 1st round board.

There are some very intriguing edge rushers in this class. With their skill sets and the Steelers’ defensive scheme I put them higher on my list than edge need would suggest. I think there are some dominant guys in that group.

CBs are lower because I don’t see any of them starting over anyone currently on the roster barring some injury.

Junior Member Array title="Leopardo will become famous soon enough"> Leopardo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    First off, great post. And I put my list together in a similar mind.

As for Marguise Brown I don’t have him on my list either. I think he is a 1st round talent but not what I would want size-wise. Plus the Lisfranc injury is a bigger red flag for me than being AB’s cousin. If he gave himself the nickname ‘Hollywood’ I would be more concerned as well.

I went size, speed, and athleticism on offense. Hockenson ahead of Metcalf mostly because he’s more important for the run game as well.

I don’t disagree with your thoughts on the ILB class. Just think it is too big of a need not to have these 3 on my 1st round board.

There are some very intriguing edge rushers in this class. With their skill sets and the Steelers’ defensive scheme I put them higher on my list than edge need would suggest. I think there are some dominant guys in that group.

CBs are lower because I don’t see any of them starting over anyone currently on the roster barring some injury.
    Thanks!

I believe edge rusher should actually be one of our top needs. We only have Watt who's very good and we're overpaying both Dupree and Chickillo. We lack both quality and depth at the position and Dupree only has one year left on his contract. It's typically a position where it's difficult to find value after round 2, so if they want one they should grab him early. I predict that Winovich in round 2 is their pick if he's still on the board.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I could put 20 names down , but why ...

only 10 guys I would go after at 20 ( several of them will be gone )

if I cant nail one of them I am trying very hard to move back and collect more picks in the top 100

1 Nick Bosa -- gone
    2 Josh Allen -- gone
    3 Devin White -- likely gone
    4 Devin Bush -- 50/50 chance
    5 Montez Sweat -gone
    6 Byron Murphy --- likely one or more of these 3 are on the board
    7 Greedy Willians---likely one or more of these 3 are on the board
    8 Deandre Baker----likely one or more of these 3 are on the board
    9 Deionte Thompson --would be a steal top 15 player without a doubt
    10 Hakeem Butler --- 50/50 if he is there
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 03-23-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

A few names I see on here I have questions about.

1. I could understand taking Jawaan Taylor to become the RT with Gilbert gone, Hawkins unknown, and Feiler basically it. For me though an OL pick would come at highest value at 20. Taylor would be in my bottom 3 for the first round had I included an OT. Definitely should be a consideration at 20. Why is he in the top 10 for the Steelers?

2. I would not take a Jonah Williams in the first. I don't think he works in the Steelers system. Ben does not "hold the ball too long" but he will hold it longer than most. Williams' will struggle in protection with that, IMO.

3. Montez Sweat, Rashan Gary, and Ed Oliver are most suited for 4-3 defense. That's what everything I read on them suggests anyway. Do you guys see them moving to an OLB role or as DE/DT in our 3-4? What is interesting about them is when we go with 2 DL and 2 OLB front can they rotate in at any position then?
    Does the Montez Sweat heart issue concern you enough at pick 20?
    What role does Rashan Gary play for the Steelers?
    Ed Oliver looks like this year's Carl Lawson to me. I was big on Lawson in the draft but he ended up playing DE in the NFL. Another where would you play him guy.

4. I moved Hakeem Butler into my top 20 because he is one of those 'nobody else can do what he does' type of guys. At least for the immediate future he is a mismatch against every defense. Do you see him on the outside or in the slot for the Steelers?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I think Sweat could play OLB in a 3-4 he has the speed and wicked first step .... the heart question is what looms and we as fans will likely never know the true results of that where he is drafted will be our best tell .....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    This is actually how draft boards are created.

They list the players they want AND the players they don’t want/don’t need. Every time a player from list two gets drafted, a player from list one gets closer to their pick.

Then, they have trades set up (how much it would cost to move up to each pick).

If at 16, they have 5 players left from their list, then there is no need to trade up (unless someone from high up in that list has fallen). Whereas, if there is only two players left from that list, then they might trade up to get one of those two.

I’ll work on this.
    Well.... we're waiting.

A full 2 weeks later so here's a new top 20 list. A little different approach. This time I am grouping players by position instead of a 1-20 ranking.

Edge - Nick Bosa, Brian Burns, Josh Allen, Clelin Ferrell, Rashan Gary, Jachai Polite

ILB - Devin White, Devin Bush

CB - Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy, Trayvonn Mullen, Julien Love

Safety - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Darnell Savage

WR - DK Metcalf, Hakeem Butler, Kelvin Harmon

TE - TJ Hockenson

DL - Quinnen Williams, Charles Omenihu

This list puts 16 defensive players and 4 offensive players in my top20 for pick number 20.