Thread: NFL Players Are Like Delicate Flowers

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

NFL Players Are Like Delicate Flowers

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/cl...atural-leader/

Reading this it is just shocking and head-shaking that Ryan Clark's and by extension many other players definition of leadership is being your best friend and a bit of ass kissing.

Ryan Clark's stated reason for liking/respecting Ben R -- he went to his kid's little league game while he was suspended. For real? The reason they met during Ben's rookie year -- because he was withdrawn and not hanging out with all the "fellas". For real?

I have coworkers I like and respect that don't even know where I live or if I have a family.

These guys live in their own little ego centered bubbles. I think I am out on ALL comments by NFL players about "leadership". These guys wouldn't know leadership if it bit them in the ass.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: NFL Players Are Like Delicate Flowers

The players only meeting in 2006 was corroborated by Mike Logan and Dookie Davenport. Ben, himself, said he sucked as a teammate/leader back then. Also, Charlie Batch had a sit down w/Ben and told him he sucked. This is all old news.

Not directed at you, Moj, but to the media in general. They need to do their homework.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5132299

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...reat-teammates

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    The players only meeting in 2006 was corroborated by Mike Logan and Dookie Davenport. Ben, himself, said he sucked as a teammate/leader back then. Also, Charlie Batch had a sit down w/Ben and told him he sucked. This is all old news.

Not directed at you, Moj, but to the media in general. They need to do their homework.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5132299

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...reat-teammates
    No doubt. I just think that it is hilarious what "leadership" means to these guys. Apparently it means hanging out with their kids, meeting their families, and generally acting like you are BFF's. Ridiculous. I don't need to like people at work. I just need them to excel at their job and provide the opportunity for me to excel at mine. Notice how none of the criticism of Ben is that he didn't know the gameplan, couldn't make the throws, wasn't hitting open guys, etc. It is all about not being guy's friend.

Maybe the NFL is different because you can't really just go down to the bar and hang out with random regular folks, so you need 50 some artificial friends on the team. Or maybe these guys are so enculturated with the "team=family" coach-speak stuff that they need everyone to live that reality. But it just seems dumb and weird.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    No doubt. I just think that it is hilarious what "leadership" means to these guys. Apparently it means hanging out with their kids, meeting their families, and generally acting like you are BFF's. Ridiculous. I don't need to like people at work. I just need them to excel at their job and provide the opportunity for me to excel at mine. Notice how none of the criticism of Ben is that he didn't know the gameplan, couldn't make the throws, wasn't hitting open guys, etc. It is all about not being guy's friend.

Maybe the NFL is different because you can't really just go down to the bar and hang out with random regular folks, so you need 50 some artificial friends on the team. Or maybe these guys are so enculturated with the "team=family" coach-speak stuff that they need everyone to live that reality. But it just seems dumb and weird.
    You're right. Seems like they are full of cliques and it's 5th grade.

My take is I guess Ben wasn't part of the Poker Club at Potsie's house. Potsie, Big Snack, Hines, Peazy, Bus, and alot of those guys from the 04-08 teams played poker and had their little cliq and Ben wasn't part of it.

Ben "hung out" with the o-line, Heath, and Keisel, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    You're right. Seems like they are full of cliques and it's 5th grade.

My take is I guess Ben wasn't part of the Poker Club at Potsie's house. Potsie, Big Snack, Hines, Peazy, Bus, and alot of those guys from the 04-08 teams played poker and had their little cliq and Ben wasn't part of it.

Ben "hung out" with the o-line, Heath, and Keisel, I guess.
    That sounds like you nailed it. Just reinforces my opinion that most of these guys are egocentric developmentally stunted man-children. Why I have almost no interest in what any of them have to say once they become "former players".

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

All they've known in life is school and playing a game. So it's easy to understand why they are that way. That said, some have have very difficult life experiences, so I hesitate to paint with a broad brush. But the one experience they haven't dealt with is working like an ordinary Joe.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Just reinforces my opinion that most of these guys are egocentric developmentally stunted man-children.
    Well, sure... I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case most of the time. They've been raised to be exactly that since high school. Football players don't have the luxury of "normal" interpersonal relationships.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    All they've known in life is school and playing a game. So it's easy to understand why they are that way. That said, some have have very difficult life experiences, so I hesitate to paint with a broad brush. But the one experience they haven't dealt with is working like an ordinary Joe.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Well, sure... I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case most of the time. They've been raised to be exactly that since high school. Football players don't have the luxury of "normal" interpersonal relationships.
    You guys make excellent points. Just means I am all the way out on giving any credence to sources say so and so lacks leadership or sources indicate the locker room is a mess because we can get a window into what these morons think is leadership and not a mess. And it is grade school nonsense.

More and more I find I just want to read and hear about what happens on the field for 60 minutes on Sundays and the rest of it is just noise. Mostly made by people trying to sell something or at least compete for attention.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

More and more I find I just want to read and hear about what happens on the field for 60 minutes on Sundays and the rest of it is just noise. Mostly made by people trying to sell something or at least compete for attention.
    I think you'll be happier that way
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Nuh uh, he fumbled on purpose...

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post

Clearly.....just ask any of the experts here that have intimate knowledge of the entire playbook and all formations.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

There's a great book called Johnny U, by Tom Callahan, obviously about the life and career of HOF QB John Unitas. In it Unitas talks about how he purposely separated himself from teammates off the field. In his long career about the only players he became close to were Gino Marichetti, and Earl Morrall. Not because he thought he was all that. But because he didn't want to be perceived to be playing favorites. Also players come and go, and when they get cut you can't be emotionally tied down to someone. Anyway somehow or other his Colts teammates describe their relationship with him as friendly but distant. And they all seemed to accept it without any problem. Though some did express a desire to have been closer personally with him ( Lenny Moore in particular stated this, but then Moore followed with that Johnny wasn't that kind of cat with anyone, so he didn't take it personally.)
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Harris doubled down with a rambling instagram message where he looks to be half stoned where he ridicules Gradkowski's claims.

My opinion. That's a serious accusation to make and if you can't support it with anything better than I didn't like him and he did fumble, therefore I must be right without a single corroborating witness ( teammate) then you should probably keep your mouth shut.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’ll take Gradkowski’s word over JH any day. Gradkowski, albeit a back up QB has a really good football mind, knows what he’s talking about and knows the game...much better than JH. Gradkowski also is extremely good as a radio host on NFL network. Where’s JH credentials? JH is trying to become relevant at the expense of Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Jussie Smollett has video proof that Ben purposefully fumbled.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Ohh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He also said he had proof that Mike Trout signed w/the Pirates for $430 million.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You know you cannot compare them to delicate flowers like this. It makes their petals fall off.