Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Steelers preparing for a big trade up in the draft?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Are the Steelers preparing for a big trade up in the draft?

Are the Steelers preparing for a big trade up in the draft?

By Curt Popejoy

It is starting to look like the Pittsburgh Steelers have stockpiled some draft picks with the intention of moving up at some point. The 2019 NFL draft class has a few top tier players at key positions for the Steelers but none of them are likely to be on the board when Pittsburgh picks. Whether it is inside linebacker, edge rusher or even wide receiver, most of the top names will be long gone before the No. 20 overall pick.

This got us thinking about what the Steelers would need to do in order to get into the Top 10 and land one of those prospects. Here’s what the Steelers current crop of picks look like:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...-in-the-draft/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Are the Steelers preparing for a big trade up in the draft?

I wouldn’t give up both 3rds to move up to #10. Too much. There’s good players in the 3rd round.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I wouldn’t give up both 3rds to move up to #10. Too much. There’s good players in the 3rd round.
    I believe we want Devin White, imo it's why we were willing to make the AB trade with Buffalo to get their #9 pick.

Sure,
    But one thing we know. This defense scheme has a flaw that's as old as the first time Dick LeBeau implemented his fire-blitz scheme here (and now the morphed scheme we're currently playing), it depends on that superstar player to make the big plays. When Troy P. was out, our defense was bad. When a young James Harrison was playing and then went out, we were bad. When we lost Shazier, we were bad (stats noticeably dipped after his injury). So, if we continue in that system, then we'll have to make a move up into the upper first for that star player because a third rounder just isn't going to do it. Not unless he's the next Antonio Brown, but this time on defense.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I believe we want Devin White, imo it's why we were willing to make the AB trade with Buffalo to get their #9 pick.

White would be my first choice at ILB. He's the guy with the least questions to me. I think he's plug and play, and will be a very good, maybe great, player for a long time.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Do the Steelers have the picks needed to trade up? Yes

Has a “trade up” been their plan all along? No

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

They're not drafting 10 guys. If you do, chance your drafting 2-3 to just cut them.

They trade up. Likely in the 2nd.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Sure,
    But one thing we know. This defense scheme has a flaw that's as old as the first time Dick LeBeau implemented his fire-blitz scheme here (and now the morphed scheme we're currently playing), it depends on that superstar player to make the big plays. When Troy P. was out, our defense was bad. When a young James Harrison was playing and then went out, we were bad. When we lost Shazier, we were bad (stats noticeably dipped after his injury). So, if we continue in that system, then we'll have to make a move up into the upper first for that star player because a third rounder just isn't going to do it. Not unless he's the next Antonio Brown, but this time on defense.
    TJ and Cam are the stars up front. We sure need somebody on the back though who can ball. I still wouldn't give up those two 3's for White, who may be gone by 10 anyway.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

They've done pretty well when trading up.

One was a DPOY and first ballot HOF'er (Troy)

The other was a SB MVP/Pothead (Sandoobio)

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    They've done pretty well when trading up.
    as long as it's not for Ricardo Colclough or a punter...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I want him too , have wanted him for months ...

that said I wouldn't make the trade up its just to costly and we have to many holes to fill ...

we could come out of rd 3 with a very nice WR /TE/ OLB ( pick 2 )

we probably move up somewhere but hopefully its later when the cost is more friendly...

if White /Bush are gone that means someone fell thats a pretty damn good football player ...

we need to come away IMO with a starter quality ILB/CB/WR and would like to see a do it all TE that is capable of stealing some snaps ...

OLB needs more talent in the room Chicky is not a starter in waiting and Dupree is making his last money here ( should have been gone this year )

we should get a Tackle and a RB at some point too ....

that is 6 spots with 10 picks and would be wise to double down at WR /ILB IMO ( so 8 picks out of 10 ? )

but that is just me ....

side note we WANTED Patrick Willis too , ended up with Lawrence Timmons and it worked out ok
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Or Sharknado Thomas lol, but I guess 4th round is kinda a crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    yeah, good thing we gave up a 3rd round pick for Sharknado

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    wasn't a trade but I shudder when I think of "cream of da crop Senquez Golson" in R2

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Only thinking 1st round trade ups lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Only thinking 1st round trade ups lol.
    I believe there have only been 2 of those in Steelers history, for Troy and Sanstonio.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    They're not drafting 10 guys. If you do, chance your drafting 2-3 to just cut them.

They trade up. Likely in the 2nd.
    Tomlin always tries to trade up to the top of R2. This year, he has the firepower to do so.

I’d also like to see them trade away four picks, for four picks in the 2020 draft... for two reasons: Fromm & Herbert.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Tombert always tries to trade up to the top of R2. This year, he has the firepower to do so.

I’d also like to see them trade away four picks, for four picks in the 2020 draft... for two reasons: Fromm & Herbert.
    fixed it
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Doubtful that Bush gets past Cincy.

I have a hard seeing them move up.

As fans we should be expecting a surprise pick again. Pay attention to the prospects they take out to dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Doubtful that Bush gets past Cincy.

I have a hard seeing them move up.

As fans we should be expecting a surprise pick again. Pay attention to the prospects they take out to dinner.

I have been saying that for years.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...015-nfl-draft/

Dinner list for this year:
    -Winovich
    -Renfrow

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I have been saying that for years.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...015-nfl-draft/

Dinner list for this year:
    -Winovich
    -Renfrow

They better get a much bigger dinner list, because if they pick one of those two guys in the first round...….this place is going to implode and I'm not going to be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    They better get a much bigger dinner list, because if they pick one of those two guys in the first round...….this place is going to implode and I'm not going to be happy!
    Another day, another few tweets about Winovich at 20. Ugh.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I've been unnecessarily harsh on both guys - especially Winovich. But I would throw up in my mouth a bit if either of those guys got drafted in the first 2 rounds even - let alone the first.

These are the exact kind of guys that people get the vapors for prior to every draft. And they are the exact kind of guys that get to the NFL and don't really matter.

Just look at guys on the Steelers own roster:
    Matakevich
    Chickillo
    Switzer
    until recently Jesse James
    DHB (version 2.0 of his career)

But they are all so gritty. So tough. So non-stop with the motors. Great! But they are not players that you take in the top 25 picks of the draft! You can succeed in the NCAA by trying harder and working more than the other guy. Not in the NFL.

But I've been wrong before. And I will be wrong again. Likely sometime in the next few minutes...so what do I know?

Thoughts on a trade up:

1. Is Devin Bush or Devin White a good enough player for that to be basically the evaluation of the draft class?
    2. If necessary, how much would you take from next year's class for either guy?
    3. Are the Pittsburgh Steelers a rookie ILB away from going on a deep playoff run?
    4. Is either Devin Bush or Devin White a certain enough NFL projection to build your defense around?

I suspect that the answers to those questions will guide the team's decision(s). I find it interesting that they either were not able or were unwilling to execute a trade to move up and get guys from a deeper and maybe better ILB class last year. Makes me wonder why they would be more willing to do it this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I suspect that the answers to those questions will guide the team's decision(s). I find it interesting that they either were not able or were unwilling to execute a trade to move up and get guys from a deeper and maybe better ILB class last year. Makes me wonder why they would be more willing to do it this year?
    Colbert has admitted he didn't do enough last year to replace Ryan Shazier.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

According to some draft nerds I listen to from time to time, unless the player you want falls to within 5-7 spots of where you are already picking the cost is simply too high to move up. Example trade would be trade our 1st and 3rd to move to 15, or our 1st and 2nd gets us to 13. Then you actually have to find the team willing to make the trade. Who in this draft is worth that trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    According to some draft nerds I listen to from time to time, unless the player you want falls to within 5-7 spots of where you are already picking the cost is simply too high to move up. Example trade would be trade our 1st and 3rd to move to 15, or our 1st and 2nd gets us to 13. Then you actually have to find the team willing to make the trade. Who in this draft is worth that trade?
    Maybe no one. This kind of hooks into the post about whether it is better to load up on a few stars or spread that sweet cap money out over several players.

Maybe trading up is the draft version of the same thought process?

- - - Updated - - -

Colbert has admitted he didn't do enough last year to replace Ryan Shazier.
    Solid point. But we could argue that enough was not done to replace Polamalu either. Some guys you just don't ever get to replace. I don't know. I can see this from all sides and think there is a strong argument from every angle. Hard to make a call one way or the other, at least for me.

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Do the Steelers have the picks needed to trade up? Yes

Has a “trade up” been their plan all along? No

I concur

Time for a change, be bold!

Be like the Pens!

Don't be afraid to make big moves

Watch for droppers.... two potential ones are Sweat and Oliver.

Watch for droppers.... two potential ones are Sweat and Oliver.

If Sweat drops to them, they will have to think about it.