Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Are the Steelers preparing for a big trade up in the draft?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Are the Steelers preparing for a big trade up in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Draft trade chart time!!!

If the Steelers trade their R1-R4 picks, they could get up to #5 overall.

The rest of their picks (their entire draft) could maaaybe get them up to #3.

They have no shot at #1.

QUESTION:
    If Bosa is there at #3, would you trade your entire draft to acquire him?

QUESTION 2:
    At #5 it becomes a little more interesting, because you’d still have five picks to fill holes. Yes, they’d be Day 3 camp fodder, but even if one of the five panned out... Bosa & another starter. That is very tempting. Do you do it???
    Not worth it. I do think we'll package a 3 or 4 with the #20 and move up about 5 spots.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Bell had only one interception and an average of 62 solo tackles during the 2001-03 seasons and followed that up with a whopping 6 solo tackles in 3 games played during his last season with the Steelers in 2004.

not exactly great, imo.
    Yea, 2004 sucked for Bell. No argument about that.

Bell’s first three seasons, though, were great. Yea, his INTs were pedestrian, but as an ILB, he had 9, 5, & 6 sacks... which was better than we have had for a long while (until VW two seasons ago). Plus, I remember that Browns playoff game where Bell absolutely dominated (on a hobbled ankle).

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I wouldn't trade my entire draft for Ricky Williams either.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’d have traded the entire 2008 draft to have acquired Adrian Childbeater in the 2007 draft.

Imagine that defense along with Ben, Heath, Hines... and The Scrotum Whipper.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I hope they trade the Oakland 5th ( damn near a 4th ) and our 4th to move up to early rd 3 ...gonna be a ton of good value picks 65-80
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I hope they trade the Oakland 5th ( damn near a 4th ) and our 4th to move up to early rd 3 ...gonna be a ton of good value picks 65-80
    we already have #66, you want to trade up from our #83?

Junior Member Array title="Leopardo will become famous soon enough"> Leopardo's Avatar

He means our #122 and #141. But that's only 85 points in trade value, while a top 3rd round pick is around 250 points. No team is going to take that. If a player they really like drops to day 3 they can use them to trade up to the top of the 4th round though. I would do that.
    http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Va...equestTeam=PIT

Draft Trade Value time (part II):

R3 worth 175 points
    R4 worth 50 points
    R5 worth 35 points

R4 (50) + R5 (35) = 85 points ... Pick 104 (SanFran... note: Oak has at Pick 102)

R3 (175) + R5 (32) = 207 ... Pick 77

R3 (175) + R4 (50) = 225 ... Pick 73

*R3 (175) + R4 (50) + R5 (82) = 257 ... Pick 67*

*Trading R3 & R4 & R5 to move up in R3:
    *67*
    No R4
    No R5
    early R6
    R6

That said, the early R4 pick is a highly coveted spot to be picking. There’s always 4 or 5 players forgotten about. Teams try like crazy to get into the ”top five” of Day 3.

Trading the R5 pick moves us up six spots (into Dwins’s 65-80 range).

83 (175) + R5 (32) = 207 Pick 77

*77*
    early R4
    No R5 (traded)
    early R6
    R6

Trading the R5 pick AND the early R6 pick moves us up ten spots (waaay up into Dwins’s 65-80 range).

83 (175) + R5 (32) + R6 (21) = 228 ... Pick 73 (technically, we “could”’get pick 72, but that’s Cincy, who simply isn’t trading with us).

*73*
    early R4
    No R5 (traded)
    no early R6 (traded)
    R6

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Late R3-early/mid R4 is the area for RB value. A lot of RB needy teams will be jockeying for those spots.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Junior Member Array title="Leopardo will become famous soon enough"> Leopardo's Avatar

As I understand Dwinsgames' post he isn't using our #66 pick to trade up, just our #122 and #141. But I can be wrong of course. Maybe he can clarify what he meant

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leopardo View Post
    As I understand Dwinsgames' post he isn't using our #66 pick to trade up, just our #122 and #141. But I can be wrong of course. Maybe he can clarify what he meant
    he must mean using our 3(83) pick also.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopardo View Post
    Indeed. Dwins is not using pick #66. Likewise, in my trade scenarios, we always kept 66. I listed the following trading options:

122 & 141
    83 & 141
    83 & 122
    83 & 122 & 141
    83 & 141 & 175

Indeed. Dwins is not using pick #66. Likewise, in my trade scenarios, we always kept 66. I listed the following trading options:

122 & 141
    83 & 141
    83 & 122
    83 & 122 & 141
    83 & 141 & 175
    using pick #66 would allow us to trade up about 2 spots higher than #83.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I’d have traded the entire 2008 draft to have acquired Adrian Childbeater in the 2007 draft.

Imagine that defense along with Ben, Heath, Hines... and The Scrotum Whipper.
    To be fair, you could've traded the entire 2008 and 2009 drafts for a railroad car full of dogshit and come out no worse off than with the players we got, so that's not saying much.

At least the dogshit wouldn't play horribly and still keep getting on the field, and it'd leave town without drama. Hell, when you were done with the dogshit, you could just feed it to other dogs and it'd make a yummy snack. Or dump it all on Tommy Maddox's lawn.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

If I’m Colbert, I’m willing to trade one of our thirds and a sixth to move up and that’s it. The Steelers could use an influx of young talent on this team. Colbert has done an outstanding job for years, considering the Steelers usually pick toward the end of the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    To be fair, you could've traded the entire 2008 and 2009 drafts for a railroad car full of dogshit and come out no worse off than with the players we got, so that's not saying much.

At least the dogshit wouldn't play horribly and still keep getting on the field, and it'd leave town without drama. Hell, when you were done with the dogshit, you could just feed it to other dogs and it'd make a yummy snack. Or dump it all on Tommy Maddox's lawn.
    There is no question that 2008 sucked. As I already said, I’d have traded all of 2008 to get AP in 2007. Hindsight helps, but even in 2006, I was a tad bit “conflicted” about beating the Bengals... because, that victory knocked us out of the top ten (just a little too far to trade up for Captain CPS).

The consolation prize was supposed to be Darrelle Revis. I mean, Lawrence Timmons was a very good player for us, but the other two are on another level.

I disagree about the 2009 draft. People always rag on it, but it wasn’t anywhere as bad as 2008.

HOOD: Miscast as a 3-4 DE. He was a 4-3 DT. He’s never been great, but he’s like Tyson Alualu: a rock-solid player who has had a ten-year career. Should have he been the R1 choice? Probably not. But, he’s not a total “bust”.

URBIK: This one hurts, because we cut him... and he had a decent career in Buffalo. Considering how bad our O-line was at the time, a “decent” player would have been an upgrade.

WALLACE: The dude had 32 TDs in his first four seasons. No other Steelers receiver can say that (Louis Lipps was on that pace, but he got injured in his fourth season). Wallace’s last season and/or his departure tainted people’s view of him.

LEWIS: This was a head-scratcher. The dude looked great, but then had a meltdown after a pre-season game against the Giants (he smashed a glass case). He finally put it together in his final season... and then, was gone.

SHIPLEY: The man has started at OC for a decade. Alas, like Urbik, we cut him.

JOHNSON: Decent career fir a R7 pick. But... he missed that block in Super Bowl XLV (which caused the momentum-changing fumble).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There is no question that 2008 sucked. As I already said, I’d have traded all of 2008 to get AP in 2007. Hindsight helps, but even in 2006, I was a tad bit “conflicted” about beating the Bengals... because, that victory knocked us out of the top ten (just a little too far to trade up for Captain CPS).

The consolation prize was supposed to be Darrelle Revis. I mean, Lawrence Timmons was a very good player for us, but the other two are on another level.

I disagree about the 2009 draft. People always rag on it, but it wasn’t anywhere as bad as 2008.

HOOD: Miscast as a 3-4 DE. He was a 4-3 DT. He’s never been great, but he’s like Tyson Alualu: a rock-solid player who has had a ten-year career. Should have he been the R1 choice? Probably not. But, he’s not a total “bust”.

URBIK: This one hurts, because we cut him... and he had a decent career in Buffalo. Considering how bad our O-line was at the time, a “decent” player would have been an upgrade.

WALLACE: The dude had 32 TDs in his first four seasons. No other Steelers receiver can say that (Louis Lipps was on that pace, but he got injured in his fourth season). Wallace’s last season and/or his departure tainted people’s view of him.

LEWIS: This was a head-scratcher. The dude looked great, but then had a meltdown after a pre-season game against the Giants (he smashed a glass case). He finally put it together in his final season... and then, was gone.

SHIPLEY: The man has started at OC for a decade. Alas, like Urbik, we cut him.

JOHNSON: Decent career fir a R7 pick. But... he missed that block in Super Bowl XLV (which caused the momentum-changing fumble).
    In hindsight, that was a year where trading out of Round 1 for future picks would have been ideal. For better or worse, the organization really liked most of their 53 man roster and felt that many spots were not up for grabs. It just in retrospect seems like a situation screaming for them to find a trade partner for 2010 or 2011 draft picks. One of the things I dislike most about the Tomlin/Colbert draft approach is that they never seem to get bold. They are going to take 5-7 picks every year.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    In hindsight, that was a year where trading out of Round 1 for future picks would have been ideal. For better or worse, the organization really liked most of their 53 man roster and felt that many spots were not up for grabs. It just in retrospect seems like a situation screaming for them to find a trade partner for 2010 or 2011 draft picks. One of the things I dislike most about the Tomlin/Colbert draft approach is that they never seem to get bold. They are going to take 5-7 picks every year.
    Yeah, they seem to like their camp fodder and warm bodies. Probably the biggest reason they keep scooping up all these AAF guys. Unfortunately, it's usually not enough talent to even challenge the mediocrity already established...

They should invest more picks to move up to more quality of talent. Sure, 10 picks may give you more chances to find that diamond in the ruff, but if only 4 guys end up with a chance to make it anyway, lets get 4 better guys earlier.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I don't know about that one, man. It wasn't as bad as 2008 because we at least got one decent player for a few years (Wallace), but beyond that it was bottom-of-the-barrel awful.

Hood was quite probably our worst draft pick of this milennium. Worse than just a normal R1 pick who turns out to be a bust, because he sat there ACTUALLY playing in games as a starter and doing badly, and we stuck with him and suffered through five years of that because of his draft status. And that, in turn, set back our efforts to find a real replacement for Aaron Smith by years more than it should have. I don't know where you get "rock-solid" from unless you had eye problems from 2009-13 or so, because he was absolutely horrible for us. Zero impact ever. It was bad enough to cancel out one or two good picks, if you ask me.

We get zero points for drafting players who went on to play well for other teams. All we get out of it is a draft pick spent for zero return. Emmanuel Sanders was not a "home run" pick for us, as so many claim. He was an ok pick for us who filled the #3 receiver role for a couple years with some minor issues. Being great for Denver did not help us one iota.

So basically, four years of Wallace, a guy in the first round whose negative effects weighed us down enough to make up for that, and one guy (Johnson) who was barely acceptable. Not a great haul if you ask me; the dogshit has a pretty strong argument.
    Last edited by steelreserve; 04-12-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Ramon Foster wasn't drafted but he was apart of that 09' class also.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Yeah, they seem to like their camp fodder and warm bodies. Probably the biggest reason they keep scooping up all these AAF guys. Unfortunately, it's usually not enough talent to even challenge the mediocrity already established...

They should invest more picks to move up to more quality of talent. Sure, 10 picks may give you more chances to find that diamond in the ruff, but if only 4 guys end up with a chance to make it anyway, lets get 4 better guys earlier.
    Can't argue with any of that. I wish they traded more often than they do. I think an under-used strategy on draft day is to trade picks for players. I know it is hard to find a dance partner -- but I would gladly ship some picks out of town for a disgruntled Jalen Ramsey. Rams and Eagles seem to be acquiring some well regarded players this way...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    We get zero points for drafting players who went on to play well for other teams. All we get out of it is a draft pick spent for zero return. Emmanuel Sanders was not a "home run" pick for us, as so many claim. He was an ok pick for us who filled the #3 receiver role for a couple years with some minor issues. Being great for Denver did not help us one iota.
    True
    Alas, it’s a shame that the O-line coach could not only “coach”, but he also couldn’t “evaluate” talent.

(Agree to disagree about Hood.)

Bill Cowher Thinks Colbert Will ‘Entertain’ Trade Up In First Round

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on April 20, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin has never been involved in a draft-day trade involving the first round, in spite of the fact that he has been with the team for 12 years now. General Manager Kevin Colbert, on the other hand, has participated in two trades up in the first round, in 2003 for Troy Polamalu and then in 2006 for Santonio Holmes, the year before Tomlin was brought in.

Colbert’s partner during those two drafts in which trades took place was Bill Cowher, who took over the team as head coach in the early 90s. when Colbert was brought in, they seemed to have a connection, which was part of the puzzle that added up to their being able to reach an agreement to trade up.

With the Steelers entering another big draft and rumors of their potential to trade up this year looming, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reached out to Cowher to get his thoughts on the team’s current situation, calling upon his insights from working with Colbert.

“I certainly think they’re targeting a linebacker. It’s a question of how much do you have to give up to get there?”, he told Ray Fittipaldo. “It’ll be something they’ll entertain. When you get within 10 picks, that’s when you start to think about it. Need has to play into your decision-making. Taking best athlete is great if you don’t have needs. But sometimes need puts a greater value on players”.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/bi...n-first-round/

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I would like to see them trade the 122 and 141 and get back into rd 3
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

I would like to see them trade the 122 and 141 and get back into rd 3
    122 (50 points) + 141 (35 points) = 85 points... pick 104

That is the second pick on Day 3. Adding a R7 should get us up into the end of R3.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This is where it gets very interesting if Devin White drops out of the top 10. Many recent rumors have the Bengals choosing a quarterback in the first round instead of ILB as most had them taking early in the process. If White gets past the Bengals, I think they could get very interested in moving up I to the teens to get him. I know that I would.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

SI throws a curve and rather than having the Steelers trade up has the Steelers trading down and out of the first round in this mock draft

20. *PROJECTED TRADE UP* San Francisco (from Pittsburgh): Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
    The 49ers, in need of some defensive backs that can catch the ball now that they’ve upgraded their pass rush, jump up from Pick 36, giving the Steelers a third-rounder (No. 67) and a 2020 sixth-rounder for this pick and the Steelers’ fifth-rounder (No. 141)…

36. *PROJECTED TRADE DOWN* Pittsburgh (from San Francisco): N’Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State
    As my co-host and candidate for state comptroller Andy Benoit and I have discussed a couple times on The Monday Morning NFL Podcast: Antonio Brown is secretly one of the best contested-catch receivers in football. So why not replace him with the best contested-catch receiver in this draft class? Harry can play the slot early on as JuJu Smith-Schuster spends more time outside to replace Brown.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/20/mo...ntent=20190421

AJRII might fire Colbert immediately on Thursday night if the Steelers did this

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    SI throws a curve and rather than having the Steelers trade up has the Steelers trading down and out of the first round in this mock draft

20. *PROJECTED TRADE UP* San Francisco (from Pittsburgh): Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
    The 49ers, in need of some defensive backs that can catch the ball now that they’ve upgraded their pass rush, jump up from Pick 36, giving the Steelers a third-rounder (No. 67) and a 2020 sixth-rounder for this pick and the Steelers’ fifth-rounder (No. 141)…

36. *PROJECTED TRADE DOWN* Pittsburgh (from San Francisco): N’Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State
    As my co-host and candidate for state comptroller Andy Benoit and I have discussed a couple times on The Monday Morning NFL Podcast: Antonio Brown is secretly one of the best contested-catch receivers in football. So why not replace him with the best contested-catch receiver in this draft class? Harry can play the slot early on as JuJu Smith-Schuster spends more time outside to replace Brown.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/20/mo...ntent=20190421

AJRII might fire Colbert immediately on Thursday night if the Steelers did this

I would be perfectly fine with trading down if a player like White doesn't drop to them. I think the meat of this draft if you don't have a top 15 pick is in the late 1st through the 4th round. Trade down, get additional picks, then use the existing picks to move up a couple times to snag specific players they covet.

I can dig it!

If they trade down everyone will argue that it was dumb because they need immediate help because SB. If they stay put it will be bad because they’ll just reach for a guy that could’ve been on the board 4 rounds later. If they trade up it’ll be bad because they’re gonna be giving up too much to get a raw player who needs coaching the team doesn’t have.

Should be a fun weekend.