Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers reach a 2 year deal with linebacker Mark Barron

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers reach a 2 year deal with linebacker Mark Barron

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers reach a 2 year deal with linebacker Mark Barron

Gamble that the Mark Barron of 2 years ago shows back-up.

Positive side -- he doesn't count against the FA comp pick formula because he was cut.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Interesting signing. I know he was drafted as a safety, has had played any safety recently.

Also interesting as he injured Ben's mcl in 2015. Hopefully all water under the bridge now

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post

Also interesting as he injured Ben's mcl in 2015. Hopefully all water under the bridge now
    No chance - emergency out of season radio appearance coming on Tuesday morning to denounce signing

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Interesting signing. I know he was drafted as a safety, has had played any safety recently.

Not since his first 2 years with the Bucs.

He's what you call a dime backer. I expect a Burnett being released report soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Ben will fumble on purpose every game Barron plays.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think the Rams used him as an ILB in Wade Phillips' version of a 3-4.

He's 29 and has never really lived up to his draft status - he went 7th overall!

I suspect he is better than Bostic and Fort alongside VW.

Wonder what that deal really looks like?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Barron will be covering the other team's best WR...

Did anyone else forget he was on the market and a thing? I certainly did!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Did anyone else forget he was on the market and a thing? I certainly did!
    my friend who is a Rams' fan just gave me very mixed reviews about Barron.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    my friend who is a Rams' fan just gave me very mixed reviews about Barron.
    Yeah a quick tour around the internets seems to create a picture that Barron may be kinda sorta good if he isn't hurt and kinda sorta a liability. maybe both all at the same time.

If they designate Burnett a post 6/1 cut, then he frees up $5 million on the 2019 cap. I'm gonna bet that Barron's 2 year deal is not for $6 million each year. Something with a low 2019 salary and a medium signing bonus with a high salary in 2020 if he seizes a starting spot. So basically I'm gonna bet that it is a 1 year deal for a bit less than Burnett's cap charge with a 2020 "option" if Barron manages to end up on the positive side of those mixed reviews. So basically, Chickfilet's deal with bigger numbers...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Another oft-injured hybrid S/LB???

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

So it sounds like this guy might be twice as good as Cam Thomas for twice as much money. Sounds about right.

Yeah a quick tour around the internets seems to create a picture that Barron may be kinda sorta good if he isn't hurt and kinda sorta a liability. maybe both all at the same time.

If they designate Burnett a post 6/1 cut, then he frees up $5 million on the 2019 cap. I'm gonna bet that Barron's 2 year deal is not for $6 million each year. Something with a low 2019 salary and a medium signing bonus with a high salary in 2020 if he seizes a starting spot. So basically I'm gonna bet that it is a 1 year deal for a bit less than Burnett's cap charge with a 2020 "option" if Barron manages to end up on the positive side of those mixed reviews. So basically, Chickfilet's deal with bigger numbers...
    What a wonderful new strategy we've stumbled upon. If we keep giving everybody two-year contracts where it's basically impossible to keep them in year 2 ... and backload most of the first year's pay into year 2 dead money ... pretty soon we'll have a rolling $10M-$15M dead cap charge AND we'll have to cut all the players after one season!

And if we want to get into some REALLY advanced shit, like with Burnett, we can make ourselves eat dead money for TWO years for a guy who only played for us ONE season!

"Why didn't I think of this before?! It's a stroke of genius!"

"Uh, Mr. Rooney, that's not how --"

"A STROKE OF GENIUS!!"

"But Mr. Rooney --" ... (sigh) ... "You know what, it's fine. I'll get on it right away, sir."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3...-do-deals-last

Actual information and stuff that indicates that these types of deals are pretty common.
    But hey, nothing wrong with going off half-cocked and without the full information in order to ensure that you are first and everyone knows you were first.

In all seriousness, one version of this deal is likely pretty good for the team and another version of this deal is likely pretty piss poor. Hopefully the dump the details later this week. I suspect that since the details are not out right away, the deal is NOT in the players favor.

So the question becomes is Barron at 29 years old a better ILB/Dimebacker than anyone not named Devin in the 2019 draft? I don't know enough about guys not named Devin in the draft and Barron to answer. The internet seems to say probably?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Nice.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Meh...doesn’t excite me...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

So the question becomes is Barron at 29 years old a better ILB/Dimebacker than anyone not named Devin in the 2019 draft? I don't know enough about guys not named Devin in the draft and Barron to answer. The internet seems to say probably?
    there's no guarantee that either of the Devins will be available when we pick. we tried to draft an ILB in the first round last year and struck out so Barron may very well be an insurance policy against that happening again.

there's no guarantee that either of the Devins will be available when we pick. we tried to draft an ILB in the first round last year and struck out so Barron may very well be an insurance policy against that happening again.
    That's what I was driving at. He's a 1-2 year stopgap against having to force a draft pick.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

That's what I was driving at. He's a 1-2 year stopgap against having to force a draft pick.
    and IF ( there is that little word with so much meaning again ) he can stay healthy its not a bad move by the front office .... but again that 2 letter word is HUGE
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Actual information and stuff that indicates that these types of deals are pretty common.
    But hey, nothing wrong with going off half-cocked and without the full information in order to ensure that you are first and everyone knows you were first.

In all seriousness, one version of this deal is likely pretty good for the team and another version of this deal is likely pretty piss poor. Hopefully the dump the details later this week. I suspect that since the details are not out right away, the deal is NOT in the players favor.

Utah's Cody Barton is another one of those Dimebacker type LBs. So a sub-package player only probably.
    Texas Tech's Dakota Allen fits that same mold.

Both are probably 3rd round prospects, maybe 4th.

Mack Wilson, Alabama is going to be a better "Shazier" LB than both of the Devins. He's better in coverage and can hit as hard as anyone when tackling.

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

Interesting Barron and Edmonds are so similar, size, position and style.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Utah's Cody Barton is another one of those Dimebacker type LBs. So a sub-package player only probably.
    Texas Tech's Dakota Allen fits that same mold.

Both are probably 3rd round prospects, maybe 4th.

Mack Wilson, Alabama is going to be a better "Shazier" LB than both of the Devins. He's better in coverage and can hit as hard as anyone when tackling.
    You have a pretty unique Wilson take. I've read about how he kinda isn't that good. But I've not really understood what the criticism of Wilson has been.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You have a pretty unique Wilson take. I've read about how he kinda isn't that good. But I've not really understood what the criticism of Wilson has been.
    I started a thread on him today with game tape vs Texas A&M and Clemson, scouting profiles, highlight tape, and the LSU/Bama game tape from last season so you can watch Wilson and White in the same game. I have read the reports that he is more of a 2 down ILB at the NFL level, I just disagree with that assessment. That's all there is to it. I don't know any more than anybody else, just my football opinion.

Just realized Devin White did not play in the Bama game this season. But you can watch Mack Wilson vs LSU from that thread.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

BTW, this has to be about the eighth time the Steelers have handed out a two year contract to a player, new or existing. There's gonna be A LOT of free agents in the 2021 offseason

- - - Updated - - -

I started a thread on him today with game tape vs Texas A&M and Clemson, scouting profiles, highlight tape, and the LSU/Bama game tape from last season so you can watch Wilson and White in the same game. I have read the reports that he is more of a 2 down ILB at the NFL level, I just disagree with that assessment. That's all there is to it. I don't know any more than anybody else, just my football opinion.

Just realized Devin White did not play in the Bama game this season. But you can watch Mack Wilson vs LSU from that thread.
    Did you check the 2nd half, I know he had to sit out the first half due to a questionable targeting penalty the week prior

I'll check it out. Be interested to see if runs and does drills at his pro day.

BTW, this has to be about the eighth time the Steelers have handed out a two year contract to a player, new or existing. There's gonna be A LOT of free agents in the 2021 offseason

- - - Updated - - -

Did you check the 2nd half, I know he had to sit out the first half due to a questionable targeting penalty the week prior
    I have not yet. Only watched some of it so far. The announcers said something about the defense being without White in the first quarter when Battle went out injured. Maybe on Bama's first drive. I have mostly watched it from the Wilson side of things so far. But that is great news to me if I can get White in the same game footage. thanks for the info.

Steelers signed ILB Mark Barron, formerly of the Rams, to a two-year, $12 million contract.
    The Rams initially released Barron in early March with the idea they could re-sign him in the open market. He'll instead play behind Vince Williams in the middle of DC Keith Butler's modified version of the 4-3 defense. 30 in October, Barron's play plummeted last season and will need to be much better if he expects to compete for reps ahead of ILB Jon Bostic.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Sometimes I feel like the Steelers are like an old inner tube with about 25 patches on it.

Steelers signed ILB Mark Barron, formerly of the Rams, to a two-year, $12 million contract.
    The Rams initially released Barron in early March with the idea they could re-sign him in the open market. He'll instead play behind Vince Williams in the middle of DC Keith Butler's modified version of the 4-3 defense. 30 in October, Barron's play plummeted last season and will need to be much better if he expects to compete for reps ahead of ILB Jon Bostic.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
    Read that same blurb. Not gonna worry too much as it also claims the team runs a 4-3. So modified or not, unless I missed a pretty important story, it's Rotoworld revealing how little they sometimes know about individual teams.

Love the site and it's content but it's little capsule summaries are sometimes well off for non start or offense players.

That being said, Barron is no sure thing.

That being said, Barron is no sure thing.
    do you think it could affect our draft plans?