Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alabama ILB Mack Wilson

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Alabama ILB Mack Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I watched the SEC game that you mentioned and he doesn't look like he wants to engage in the run game. IMO, Wilson looks like a dime LB, rather than a complete ILB. He isn't an effective blitzer, nor does he seem interested in pursuing in the run game. Maybe there is something in his mental makeup that he isn't a guy that likes to give full effort, but its frightening to me to see an ILB that plays with so little interest.

Watch Wilson on the drive at the 12:00 mark of the video. He gets engaged with blocker and doesn't even try to get off the block to get to the RB Swift. Then the next play he dances in the wrong gap and fails to get involved in tacking the RB. The following play he takes on the block of the guard and then is 3rd man in on the tackle, while the following play the WR blocks him in the slot and he shows no interest in getting of the block as the RB is running the lane right next to him.

At around the 16:00 mark the 3 plays in a row he 1. shows little interest in attacking the RB in a run play, then play 2 he gets blown up on a run blitz, then play 3 he loses the RB in coverage out of the backfield and then looks silly in the missed tackle.

He honestly looks like an ILB that doesn't want to tackle in the run game, but just play coverage. Basically he plays the game of a situational coverage dime LB. By his game play I would say that Mike Hilton would have more interest in run support than Mack Wilson shows and that is absolutely scary to me if the Steelers were to think of selecting him.

I see exactly that as well. Some plays he literally flies in to make a tackle. Other plays it almost seems he is afraid of the contact. Maybe the dimebacker role is where he ends up. Right now that is the Burnett/Barron role.

I mis-posted earlier. I mentioned ND’s Coney as a MACK I would make a new thread on for dissection. Coney is not who I was thinking of obviously.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I see exactly that as well. Some plays he literally flies in to make a tackle. Other plays it almost seems he is afraid of the contact. Maybe the dimebacker role is where he ends up. Right now that is the Burnett/Barron role.

I mis-posted earlier. I mentioned ND’s Coney as a MACK I would make a new thread on for dissection. Coney is not who I was thinking of obviously.
    Agreed. That is why the Arkansas tape to me is frightening as he looks dis-interested in playing. The interview process of the draft might reveal some of that but I think he is a guy that teases with his talent, but doesn't have the "want to" in order to be productive in the NFL. Again, similar to a certain Steeler CB selected in the 1st round.

Steelers need somebody with the speed to run sideline to sideline and also drop in coverage and lets not forget there are some more nimble QB's in the AFC North now, so should have that speed. White, Bush, Wilson will go in the first 2 rounds I am pretty sure. The next couple guys I think that are athletes at ILB are Pratt and Hanks. Will be interesting to see where they land(I'm thinking 3rd to 5th rounds)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Agreed. That is why the Arkansas tape to me is frightening as he looks dis-interested in playing. The interview process of the draft might reveal some of that but I think he is a guy that teases with his talent, but doesn't have the "want to" in order to be productive in the NFL. Again, similar to a certain Steeler CB selected in the 1st round.

Steelers need somebody with the speed to run sideline to sideline and also drop in coverage and lets not forget there are some more nimble QB's in the AFC North now, so should have that speed. White, Bush, Wilson will go in the first 2 rounds I am pretty sure. The next couple guys I think that are athletes at ILB are Pratt and Hanks. Will be interesting to see where they land(I'm thinking 3rd to 5th rounds)
    I read in one of the other threads(post draft ILBs I think) Pratt is very active on social media with ‘money’ posts. Interviews will be extra important with him, IMO. Hanks and Kirven are 2 I would like to dissect and discuss here too. Maybe a Khalil Hodge one too if there’s game tape to watch.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I read in one of the other threads(post draft ILBs I think) Pratt is very active on social media with ‘money’ posts. Interviews will be extra important with him, IMO. Hanks and Kirven are 2 I would like to dissect and discuss here too. Maybe a Khalil Hodge one too if there’s game tape to watch.
    Yeah, if Pratt is all about the $ and less about the work, definitely something to watch. But, I do like his game and think he is making himself $$ in the postseason all star games and such.

Burr-Kirven was a 7th round pick or FA in September. He wasn't invited to the Senior Bowl and thought of as a 4th-5th round pick. He looks like an undersized, all heart and all hustle guy. Doesn't look to take on blocks well inside or take great angles, so apparently not a lot of TFL's. I think he is a Patrick Bailey type special teamer and backup LB.

Hodge, I watched some tape and have the East-west Shrine game recorded. I would not spend a draft pick on Hodge. I think he is a FA and apparently by not getting a combine invite. Hodge stats at Buffalo pro day were 6'1-3/8", 234LBS, 4.95 and 5.00 40-yd dash and 29" vertical. I said that the tape of Hodge reminded me of a slower version of former Steeler ILB Earl Holmes, from Florida A&M. Holmes ran a 4.85 at the combine, so Hodge IMO isn't worth the time as they don't need a guy with less athleticism than Matakevich on the squad.

Yeah, if Pratt is all about the $ and less about the work, definitely something to watch. But, I do like his game and think he is making himself $$ in the postseason all star games and such.

Burr-Kirven was a 7th round pick or FA in September. He wasn't invited to the Senior Bowl and thought of as a 4th-5th round pick. He looks like an undersized, all heart and all hustle guy. Doesn't look to take on blocks well inside or take great angles, so apparently not a lot of TFL's. I think he is a Patrick Bailey type special teamer and backup LB.

Hodge, I watched some tape and have the East-west Shrine game recorded. I would not spend a draft pick on Hodge. I think he is a FA and apparently by not getting a combine invite. Hodge stats at Buffalo pro day were 6'1-3/8", 234LBS, 4.95 and 5.00 40-yd dash and 29" vertical. I said that the tape of Hodge reminded me of a slower version of former Steeler ILB Earl Holmes, from Florida A&M. Holmes ran a 4.85 at the combine, so Hodge IMO isn't worth the time as they don't need a guy with less athleticism than Matakevich on the squad.
    I read an analysis on Burr-Kirven that talked about how he was kept clean by Washington’s DL and was therefore more productive. I would still like to see some game film of him diagnosing plays at the snap and his movement to the ball. I think the Steelers DL and OLBs do enough to keep a MACK clean to make plays also. But not if he’s slow to diagnose or too slow of foot. Steelers will select an ILB this draft. If not at 20, then one of these mid round guys is the pick.
    I understand Hanks is a guy to watch some games on as well. Harder to find him though.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If Wilson drops to the 2nd round and is available when the Steelers pick, I'm in. But at 1/20, I'm out.

I read an analysis on Burr-Kirven that talked about how he was kept clean by Washington’s DL and was therefore more productive. I would still like to see some game film of him diagnosing plays at the snap and his movement to the ball. I think the Steelers DL and OLBs do enough to keep a MACK clean to make plays also. But not if he’s slow to diagnose or too slow of foot. Steelers will select an ILB this draft. If not at 20, then one of these mid round guys is the pick.
    I understand Hanks is a guy to watch some games on as well. Harder to find him though.
    Hanks doesn't have a big body of work, as I think he only converted to LB this year. He had a good week at Senior Bowl apparently, so maybe NFL coaches in more NFL scheme helped evaluate that week. I think he ends up round 4-5.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If Wilson drops to the 2nd round and is available when the Steelers pick, I'm in. But at 1/20, I'm out.
    I agree. Its kind of a Mike Adams pick in round 2....if he plays up to his talent, then you get a steal. But if he only plays coverage and not the run game well, then you didn't waste a 1 on him when you could get a real good player.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I agree. Its kind of a Mike Adams pick in round 2....if he plays up to his talent, then you get a steal. But if he only plays coverage and not the run game well, then you didn't waste a 1 on him when you could get a real good player.
    First Mike Adams reference in a looooooooong time!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Wilson ran a 4.65 at his Pro Day today.

2 tackles vs ASU .

2018 highlight video. D line keeps him clean and he is mostly waiting for the RB and not attacking the LOS

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Wilson ran a 4.65 at his Pro Day today.
    Not what I expected. I still personally like Germaine Pratt over Wilson. Pratt looks for work, while Wilson looks to avoid work on the field, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Not what I expected. I still personally like Germaine Pratt over Wilson. Pratt looks for work, while Wilson looks to avoid work on the field, IMO.
    I like Pratt also, but he plays a little too high and seems raw and a bit of a project to me.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I dont see a guy worth taking in the first, or a guy who ends up a difference maker. Not even sure I take him at 52. Keep in mine this team is poorly coached especially defensively as well