Thread: LB D. Bush Does Drill better than 90% of The DB's

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

LB D. Bush Does Drill better than 90% of The DB's

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: LB D. Bush Does Drill better than 90% of The DB's

Weaknesses

Lands below size standards as inside linebacker

Average reaction time in early response

Slow to process and diagnose against misdirection

Big boys can swallow him on second level

Needs to mitigate size concerns with more downhill shots

Too many block challenges and not enough block slips

Will require better pursuit leverage and feel for angles

Runs himself out of tackle attempts by coming in too steep

Out of position when he starts guessing rather than responding

Misses out on tackles in space due to lack of length

I wouldn't use a first him. The Steelers haven't been so great with their first round selections. If they are going to gamble again they should just trade down. Jones, Dupree and Burns were just dreadful reaches for the first round.

I haven't seen a single highlight(yet) of Bush covering any players in the open field. Can he do it?

He is explosive, but does he have the strength to make up for his reported lack of instincts? Can he play inside?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

My question was his size, isn't he under 6 foot?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yes. 5’11”.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Weaknesses

Lands below size standards as inside linebacker

Average reaction time in early response

Slow to process and diagnose against misdirection

Big boys can swallow him on second level

Needs to mitigate size concerns with more downhill shots

Too many block challenges and not enough block slips

Will require better pursuit leverage and feel for angles

Runs himself out of tackle attempts by coming in too steep

Out of position when he starts guessing rather than responding

Misses out on tackles in space due to lack of length

I wouldn't use a first him. The Steelers haven't been so great with their first round selections. If they are going to gamble again they should just trade down. Jones, Dupree and Burns were just dreadful reaches for the first round.

I haven't seen a single highlight(yet) of Bush covering any players in the open field. Can he do it?

He is explosive, but does he have the strength to make up for his reported lack of instincts? Can he play inside?
    You are not wrong. These concerns are valid. I have warmed up to the idea of him being the 1st round target because he does get in on so many plays but his size has remained a concern for me. 5'11' IS ONLY 2" shorter than Shazier. That is not necessarily a tackling concern but is a cover concern, especially TEs and taller slot guys. His athletic measurables at the combine were very impressive. But again, those tests are practiced and perfected by these guys all year. That brings us to his tape.

The Draft Network calls this game against Notre Dame Bush's best game film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTJAmXM8q9s

I honestly don't see anything on this tape that alleviates those concerns. Bush looks undersized against this Notre Dame team. He does move around well and looks fast. I did not see a single wrap up tackle or pass defensed though. If this is his 'best' game film I would love to find his "worst" vs Penn State 2017, according to the same site. Like I said before I have warmed up to the idea of Bush being the 1st round target but still not in love with that idea.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Bush has the speed & athleticism to cover TEs, but not the height.

Bostic has the height... ...but, that didn’t work out this far.

SUMMATION:
    What does the game tape show? Born2Steel analyzed one game for us. Anyone else (Wolverine fans) watch has any other games?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

One thing that might be relevant is that the MICH defense was pretty well loaded. So was Bush able or asked to make many plays? Sometimes a good player on a bad team looks better than a good player on a great team on tape.

Shaziers scouting reports all indicated he struggled getting off big boy blocking as well. And he did for a season or so until he learned and adjusted his game.

That’s the big question for any draft pick and it is a total unknown - can they still add to their game? Why some guys can take a weakness and learn to correct it and other guys can’t is really the difference between a great draft pick and a bad draft pick. Every kid in every class has several aspects of their game they need to develop.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/fu...res-devin-bush

Detailed breakdown of all things Devin Bush.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bush has the speed & athleticism to cover TEs, but not the height.

Bostic has the height... ...but, that didn’t work out this far.

SUMMATION:
    What does the game tape show? Born2Steel analyzed one game for us. Anyone else (Wolverine fans) watch has any other games?
    Bush is a stocky fire hydrant built kind of guy from the games I have watched over the past few years. He must be a student of the game or film, as his pre snap movements always seem to have him in position to make plays. Solid tackler, flows sideline to sideline and will make tackle between the tackles as well as for loss. He is a team leader, defensive leader and the defense was different when he wasn't playing.

His lack of ideal height or long arms is what keeps him from being a top 15 pick IMO. He can get engulfed by larger blockers between the tackles. He isn't going to take away the downfield seam passes as well as somebody with more height and length like Shazier, Darius Leonard, CJ Mosely, etc. Also, he has great pursuit speed, but in space I think his change of direction isn't the greatest, so he may flow well to the outside on WR screens, but can lose the WR in space.

Basically, if the guy was 6'2" tall, he is a top 15 pick IMO. I think he will last to #19, because there will be a team with ILB needs that knows they will have to jump ahead of the Steelers to get him.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Bush is a stocky fire hydrant built kind of guy from the games I have watched over the past few years. He must be a student of the game or film, as his pre snap movements always seem to have him in position to make plays. Solid tackler, flows sideline to sideline and will make tackle between the tackles as well as for loss. He is a team leader, defensive leader and the defense was different when he wasn't playing.

His lack of ideal height or long arms is what keeps him from being a top 15 pick IMO. He can get engulfed by larger blockers between the tackles. He isn't going to take away the downfield seam passes as well as somebody with more height and length like Shazier, Darius Leonard, CJ Mosely, etc. Also, he has great pursuit speed, but in space I think his change of direction isn't the greatest, so he may flow well to the outside on WR screens, but can lose the WR in space.

Basically, if the guy was 6'2" tall, he is a top 15 pick IMO. I think he will last to #19, because there will be a team with ILB needs that knows they will have to jump ahead of the Steelers to get him.
    So after that analysis, what do you think of the Steelers picking him (assuming he is available)? Is he our answer to our ILB woes?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    So after that analysis, what do you think of the Steelers picking him (assuming he is available)? Is he our answer to our ILB woes?
    I think that if Bush is there at the Steelers pick, they should take him. The best comparison I can think of is Jonathan Vilma and maybe a young version of Vilma might not be the answer to the ILB woes completely, I think he helps upgrade the position a bunch.