Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Many have said it , many have disagreed ...

munchy

Re: Many have said it , many have disagreed ...

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    don't try to change the subject because you're losing the argument.

you said Tomlin only won because of Cowher's players. do you mean the same ones that had a 6-7 playoff record under Cowher and went 8-8 the year before Tomlin took over?

lol.............losing, i just won
    you said cowher didnt value the qb position.
    i then asked you who he should have drafted if he indeed valued the position.
    you could easily win this argument if you list all of the great qbs that cowher passed over..........pretty simple really

- - - Updated - - -

Tom Brady?
    yup, i sixth rounder that everybody passed on 5 times...................seems like no coach valued him

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    you could easily win this argument if you list all of the great qbs that cowher passed over..........pretty simple really
    Cowher only needed one... why would he need both Brees and Brady???

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

looks like I'm playing chess with a 5th grader here...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Yea, but every time you set up the board, he tips it over and screams, “EARTHQUAKE!!!”

munchy

nice try, but big fail. thanks for playing tho

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

nice try, but big fail. thanks for playing tho
    I hereby dub thee "Strawman"

Cowher could have traded for any number of QBs... specifically, Brett Favre.

But, he didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

But, he didn’t.
    are you attempting to introduce logic here?

are you attempting to introduce logic here?
    As long as there isn’t any math...

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

But, he didn’t.
    Why would he do that when he had the mighty Kent Graham, Mike tomczak, Kordell Stewart etc etc

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

munchy

lol................now 2 are grasping.
    since when do coaches made trades?

- - - Updated - - -

why doesnt tomlin trade for every player that makes pro bowl every year?

lol................now 2 are grasping.
    since when do coaches made trades?
    Exactly... they were NOT Cowher’s players. They were Colbert’s players. Colbert drafted them and/or signed them as free agents and/or traded for them.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Why would he do that when he had the mighty Kent Graham, Mike tomczak, Kordell Stewart etc etc
    I’m still pissed that Kordell didn’t remain as Slash. He would have been a HOFer.

munchy

Exactly... they were NOT Cowher’s players. They were Colbert’s players. Colbert drafted them and/or signed them as free agents and/or traded for them.

then why did you say cowher should have traded for favre.......................hmmm, sorry i knocked you off your square. have a good night

I’m still pissed that Kordell didn’t remain as Slash. He would have been a HOFer.
    I have always said the same exact thing. He ruined his legacy trying to be a full time QB.

then why did you say cowher should have traded for favre.......................hmmm, sorry i knocked you off your square. have a good night
    Because, you said that they were “Cowher’s” players. I’m simply replying to your original assertion.

And, you said: “who should he have drafted?” Again, I’m replying to your post about Cowher.

Then, you suddenly say: “since wen do coaches make trades?”

SUMMATION:
    It’s okay to move the goalposts. I can debate it either way you want.

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Tomlin is a politician not a coach. He's got the #1 skill of one. Bullshit
    That's it. pure and simple.

Tomlin is a politician not a coach. He's got the #1 skill of one: orange hair

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Ain't that the truth. The first true multi-tool player in the NFL on offense to play at the level he played at in all three positions (QB, RB, WR). It's only when he switched to pure QB that he became average because now, he gets compared to all the other QBs.

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

Tomlin is a politician not a coach. He's got the #1 skill of one. Bullshit
    So true ,,so obvious . It amazes me that more people don't see this reality. He is really getting away his show.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

and Cowher only won one Super Bowl in 16 years with Cowher's players, I wonder why that was since they were so good?
    And please give me a list of the starting QBs Cowher had? If Ben came along earlier he wins a lot more than one.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Can we just clone Ben already and sign him to a multi-life time contract? We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Can we just clone Ben already and sign him to a multi-life time contract? We can rebuild him. We have the technology.
    If Ben wins a third ring he likely is considered top 10 all time. It’s not going to be easy. Brady retiring will certainly help.

munchy

Because, you said that they were “Cowher’s” players. I’m simply replying to your original assertion.

And, you said: “who should he have drafted?” Again, I’m replying to your post about Cowher.

Then, you suddenly say: “since wen do coaches make trades?”

SUMMATION:
    It’s okay to move the goalposts. I can debate it either way you want.
    who's moving the goalposts?
    you knocked cowher for not valuing the qb position.
    i then asked you who he should have drafted.........you had no response, or listed 1 qb
    so how can you say tomlin didnt value the qb position but not be ablke to come up with a list of good/great qbs that he passed over?

your buddy tried to come to your rescue and said cowher should have trade for a brett favre, you agreed with him
    i said since when do coaches gtrade for players?....you then got confused and had to agree with me that coaches dont make trades, colbert does
    you then try to clean it up by saying they were colberts players. i guess you were insinuating that they are the gms players BUT earlier you said bellichk won with pete carrols player(who is a coach)

so, seeing that you talked in circles, what point are you actually trying to make?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The only difference between the two coaches is that Cowher yelled more and it gives some of you the damn vapors. Cowher teams started slow, sometimes lost to head scratching teams, shat the bead in the playoffs on more than one occasion despite having the more talented squad, and Cowher coached with his gut all the time - often resulting in head scratching calls.

But Cowher never kept bad coaches around. Really? Go look up the idiots he let coordinate his offenses. Take a gander at the non Capers and Lebeau D coordinators. But Cowher never coddled players and the locker room had no distractions? OK. Keep believing that. I’m sure the first time Faneca shot his mouth off was Ben’s rookie year. Also, Plaxico Burress existed and was on the team. What about Chad Brown refusing to play ILB and moaning his way out fo town to Seattle? Maybe if Cowher just spit on him some more he would have accepted the teams decision to pay him decently and make him an ILB. How much more could or would Cowher have won if he actually ever adapted to the changes in the league? He deserves his HOF jacket, but make no mistake about it - he was in danger of having the game pass him up. Three yards and a cloud of dust wasn’t gonna cut it anymore. Anyone wanna bet me that Joey Porter was a living breathing distraction? What about drafting guys because he like the look in their eye?

This idea that Tomlin doesnt know anything is just so damn stupid. Read about how he can identify and diagnose who had what assignment and how well they executed it in real time. Read about how he knows more about football than this whole board put together. Read about how 99% of his players would run through a wall for him. Think back to the fact that no matter the situation, no matter the top guys missing, no matter the score, a Mike Tomlin led team has never done anything less than compete and play hard for each and every game. All those last minute comebacks that Ben leads only happen if the other guys ball out and believe. That comes from somewhere. But he can’t develop players - really? That is stupid. More UDFAs and late round draft picks make the roster and excel in Pittsburgh under Mike Tomlin than almost anywhere else. You cant just say that any player that does well is on the player and any player that doesnt is on the coaches. Think about it this way. Most spin Martavis Bryant and Todd Haley as Mike Tomlin leadership failures. Maybe it is the exact opposite. Maybe Mike Tomlin was the one who enabled both those guys to experience success, even if short lived and problematic — because they certainly flamed out when they left Tomlin’s guidance. Maybe it was a master class of leadership that he held an offense together where the quarterback and coordinator hated each other. Haley certainly talked his way out of Cleveland in a hot minute.

Oh. Yeah. On the player development thing. Go look at Cowher’s draft picks and then try and remember how many guys on that list actually played. I mean Scott Frost happened. Look this rant is too long and barely coherent, but I’m sick of this cherry picked comparison argument. It is useless and stupid. They are both great coaches and both will be in the HOF one day. Both had their strength and weaknesses.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The only difference between the two coaches is that Cowher yelled more and it gives some of you the damn vapors. Cowher teams started slow, sometimes lost to head scratching teams, shat the bead in the playoffs on more than one occasion despite having the more talented squad, and Cowher coached with his gut all the time - often resulting in head scratching calls.

But Cowher never kept bad coaches around. Really? Go look up the idiots he let coordinate his offenses. Take a gander at the non Capers and Lebeau D coordinators. But Cowher never coddled players and the locker room had no distractions? OK. Keep believing that. I’m sure the first time Faneca shot his mouth off was Ben’s rookie year. Also, Plaxico Burress existed and was on the team. What about Chad Brown refusing to play ILB and moaning his way out fo town to Seattle? Maybe if Cowher just spit on him some more he would have accepted the teams decision to pay him decently and make him an ILB. How much more could or would Cowher have won if he actually ever adapted to the changes in the league? He deserves his HOF jacket, but make no mistake about it - he was in danger of having the game pass him up. Three yards and a cloud of dust wasn’t gonna cut it anymore. Anyone wanna bet me that Joey Porter was a living breathing distraction? What about drafting guys because he like the look in their eye?

This idea that Tomlin doesnt know anything is just so damn stupid. Read about how he can identify and diagnose who had what assignment and how well they executed it in real time. Read about how he knows more about football than this whole board put together. Read about how 99% of his players would run through a wall for him. Think back to the fact that no matter the situation, no matter the top guys missing, no matter the score, a Mike Tomlin led team has never done anything less than compete and play hard for each and every game. All those last minute comebacks that Ben leads only happen if the other guys ball out and believe. That comes from somewhere. But he can’t develop players - really? That is stupid. More UDFAs and late round draft picks make the roster and excel in Pittsburgh under Mike Tomlin than almost anywhere else. You cant just say that any player that does well is on the player and any player that doesnt is on the coaches. Think about it this way. Most spin Martavis Bryant and Todd Haley as Mike Tomlin leadership failures. Maybe it is the exact opposite. Maybe Mike Tomlin was the one who enabled both those guys to experience success, even if short lived and problematic — because they certainly flamed out when they left Tomlin’s guidance. Maybe it was a master class of leadership that he held an offense together where the quarterback and coordinator hated each other. Haley certainly talked his way out of Cleveland in a hot minute.

Oh. Yeah. On the player development thing. Go look at Cowher’s draft picks and then try and remember how many guys on that list actually played. I mean Scott Frost happened. Look this rant is too long and barely coherent, but I’m sick of this cherry picked comparison argument. It is useless and stupid. They are both great coaches and both will be in the HOF one day. Both had their strength and weaknesses.
    NICE!

who's moving the goalposts?
    you knocked cowher for not valuing the qb position.
    i then asked you who he should have drafted.........you had no response, or listed 1 qb
    so how can you say tomlin didnt value the qb position but not be ablke to come up with a list of good/great qbs that he passed over?

your buddy tried to come to your rescue and said cowher should have trade for a brett favre, you agreed with him
    i said since when do coaches gtrade for players?....you then got confused and had to agree with me that coaches dont make trades, colbert does
    you then try to clean it up by saying they were colberts players. i guess you were insinuating that they are the gms players BUT earlier you said bellichk won with pete carrols player(who is a coach)

so, seeing that you talked in circles, what point are you actually trying to make?
    Are you being willfully obtuse?... or, are you truly not understanding?

munchy

Are you being willfully obtuse?... or, are you truly not understanding?
    i understand just fine.
    i backed you in a corner and you cant get out. i gave you a chance to prove me wrong and you couldnt. your attempt to spin this on me isnt working on anyone but you.
    lets just move on