Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers sign WR Donte Moncrief to a 2 year contract.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Steelers sign WR Donte Moncrief to a 2 year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    On paper, Moncrief provides a 2nd proven wr on the team. He also has had at least a better career than dhb abd justin hunter.
    Who hasn't had a better career then them ?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Who hasn't had a better career then them ?
    Limas, lol

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    After signing Moncrief I wouldn't go WR in the first 4 rounds.
    Yea Moncrief does plug a hole in the ship and like the signing.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Yeah, I mean, speaking to the topic of this thread, it's great that they brought in someone with a solid grasp on how to play receiver in the NFL, so we're not left with Washington-or-nothing at #2. That would be kind of frightening. Still can't find out how much it cost us, but it can't be that much ... can it?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Limas, lol
    Yep he was the only one that came to mind that hadn't. Compared to those two Troy Edwards should be in the HOF.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Sounds like a good guy

https://www.steelers.com/video/moncr...ess-conference

Did pretty good against the Steelers.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Santonio Holmes, redux. I like it. Attitude, height , wing span, ready for action, always open when you need him.

I predict Ben will love this guy and go to him often

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Only negative is it looks like Moncrief sometimes just straight drops perfectly catchable balls.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a great idea. Same with Nelson’s penchant for penalties.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Hopefully both he and Nelson pan out. Free agency can sometimes be a crap shoot itself and other supposedly bigger recent acquisitions haven't panned out for the team recently. Hopefully moncrief can be a solid no. 2 for the team and hopefully Nelson can be solid cb and hopefully neither will bring any drama to the team

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Of the two, I’m more excited about Moncrief’s upside. I’d still like to know his $ though.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So Redman says he was mis-quoted with "suddeness and glide" by the SI reporter? I can see that.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Limas, lol
    Ouch! Sick Burn!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Numbers are in...

Two years totaling $9 million, including $3.5 million signing bonus, base salaries of $1.5 and $3.5 million and a roster bonus of $500,000 next year, according to Spotrac. Moncrief counts $3.5 million against the cap in 2019.

A very good bargain IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Numbers are in...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Two years totaling $9 million, including $3.5 million signing bonus, base salaries of $1.5 and $3.5 million and a roster bonus of $500,000 next year, according to Spotrac. Moncrief counts $3.5 million against the cap in 2019.

A very good bargain IMO.

Agreed, he seems like a really good guy too.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

A very good bargain IMO.

"A likely cap casualty in 2020 as he counts almost $6 million against the cap but only $1.75M in dead money if he's released."

"dead money if he's released."

Get used to that one folks, it's how we do all our contracts now.

Like - at least this one is somewhat within the realm of possibility that the second year could be worth bringing him back for, since the overall contract is a good deal.

But man, if you do ALL your FA contracts this way - two-year deal, cap hit doubles or triples in the second year ... well then, by definition you are going to have to cut most of those players after one year unless something else happens.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    "A likely cap casualty in 2020 as he counts almost $6 million against the cap but only $1.75M in dead money if he's released."

Get used to that one folks, it's how we do all our contracts now.

Like - at least this one is somewhat within the realm of possibility that the second year could be worth bringing him back for, since the overall contract is a good deal.

But man, if you do ALL your FA contracts this way - two-year deal, cap hit doubles or triples in the second year ... well then, by definition you are going to have to cut most of those players after one year unless something else happens.
    It is how they have done every contract during this CBA. 2 year deals are one year deals. 3 year deals are 1-2 year deals. 5 year deals are 2 year deals with 3 option years. This is not new.

If they want to keep Moncrief in 2020, they can approach him with a "new" deal and play the same game. Announce a 2 year extension that gives him new bonus money in 2020 and a low salary. Then a bigger cap hit in 2021 with no dead money. Problem solved.

The ONLY time this doesn't work is when you restructure the deal nine ways to Sunday and the guy's performance falls off a cliff (Woodley) or he freaks out and leaves town (AB). Other than those very real possibilities this is a totally standard way of doing business in the NFL.

Now we can debate about whether or not it is a good way to do business in the NFL...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It is how they have done every contract during this CBA. 2 year deals are one year deals. 3 year deals are 1-2 year deals. 5 year deals are 2 year deals with 3 option years. This is not new.

If they want to keep Moncrief in 2020, they can approach him with a "new" deal and play the same game. Announce a 2 year extension that gives him new bonus money in 2020 and a low salary. Then a bigger cap hit in 2021 with no dead money. Problem solved.

The ONLY time this doesn't work is when you restructure the deal nine ways to Sunday and the guy's performance falls off a cliff (Woodley) or he freaks out and leaves town (AB). Other than those very real possibilities this is a totally standard way of doing business in the NFL.

Now we can debate about whether or not it is a good way to do business in the NFL...
    Look, I know it is standard practice to manipulate some of the cap hit using tactics like this, but I have never, EVER seen us use the two-year-contract-as-one-year-contract, shoveling dead money into the second year to this degree. Yes, we did some of it before, but to a much lesser extent and the bonuses were what you would expect as a reasonable amount of guaranteed cash for a contract of that length.

These are basically contracts that are "restructured" from day one - nearly ALL the first year's salary shifted into the second year. But since it's only a two-year contract, you create a situation where you basically just shove two year's worth of pay into one and make an almost impossible do-or-die. Most of these do not get re-extended, the player gets cut - and in any case, an extension does not magically clear up the dead money, just re-spreads it and creates the same problem a year down the road unless it's a 3- or 4- year contract (which we restructure roughly 100% of the time anyway).

Look, I get what they're trying to do, spend AB's $21 million a year early, but other than maybe Moncrief, I can't really get too excited about the return on that. When the next offseason rolls around, I would prefer it if the cap space we finally got freed up from the guy who was not on the team anymore ... was not already largely spent on other guys who are not on the team anymore.

Like it or not, I think we are not really in contention this year. So pulling out all the stops to further jury-rig the house of cards that is the Steelers' cap situation, so that we may bring in a handful of mid-level one-year rentals to salvage an 8-8 season, at the expense of the following season, is not my first choice. Really looks like some people in the front office are just trying to scratch out one more year that's just good enough to save their own jobs, rather than what is actually going to dig out of the not-insignificant hole of losing three All-Pro level players in 16 months with no compensation at all, and that coming on the heels of two consecutive drafts (2015-16) that produced a grand total of zero solid starters and like, one-half an impact player, if that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Limas, lol
    Dude no joke, I lost a madden game once because Sweed dropped what would have been a 60 yard TD with time running out. Dude couldn't even catch in a video game

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Dude no joke, I lost a madden game once because Sweed dropped what would have been a 60 yard TD with time running out. Dude couldn't even catch in a video game