Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign WR Donte Moncrief to a 2 year contract.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Steelers sign WR Donte Moncrief to a 2 year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    But did we actually suck at backup OLB and ROLB?
    yes, pretty much

Or did those players do their job adequately enough to earn a 1 year or 2 year deal
    Not in my opinion. Maybe for half that much

while they either prove they can perform better
    spoiler: they won't

or their replacement is drafted in 2019
    that's what we should be doing anyway, no need to keep them around at that price while we do it (I would not expect any performance drop from Dupree to, say, a 3rd-round rookie)

or found in FA with much more cap space in 2020?
    why not find them now. For $13.2M, we'd need to find a below-average player and a league-minimum guy. Not a tall order.

Or better yet, just draft a guy in the middle rounds to replace Dupree and sign a street free agent instead of Chickillo. There, same talent level and production and you have $12M to go find something else you need.

The salary cap was explicitly designed so that you have to release players like this.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Maybe signing Chickillo was to prevent him from being an intel spy for the Patriots******

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    yes, pretty much

Not in my opinion. Maybe for half that much

spoiler: they won't

that's what we should be doing anyway, no need to keep them around at that price while we do it (I would not expect any performance drop from Dupree to, say, a 3rd-round rookie)

why not find them now. For $13.2M, we'd need to find a below-average player and a league-minimum guy. Not a tall order.

Or better yet, just draft a guy in the middle rounds to replace Dupree and sign a street free agent instead of Chickillo. There, same talent level and production and you have $12M to go find something else you need.

The salary cap was explicitly designed so that you have to release players like this.
    Zero teams in the NFL enact the roster construction approach you are advocating. I am not aware of any team that would enter the draft with only one "capable" player on their entire roster at a given position. Everyone signs someone, anyone, that can potentially go out there and play each spot so that you don't have a massive hole on your roster with no plan if the draft doesn't break right for you.

Additionally, you present assumptions about costs of signing replacements that has yet to be demonstrated. So far, Chickillo is the cheapest FA OLB that has signed a 2019 contract. That may not even last out the day, but it is, to the best of my knowledge, where things are at right now.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I still think they need to go TE or WR in the first two rounds, I hope it is TE!
    After signing Moncrief I wouldn't go WR in the first 4 rounds.
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I definitely do...unless you have confidence in Washington. Which I don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Zero teams in the NFL enact the roster construction approach you are advocating. I am not aware of any team that would enter the draft with only one "capable" player on their entire roster at a given position. Everyone signs someone, anyone, that can potentially go out there and play each spot so that you don't have a massive hole on your roster with no plan if the draft doesn't break right for you.

Additionally, you present assumptions about costs of signing replacements that has yet to be demonstrated. So far, Chickillo is the cheapest FA OLB that has signed a 2019 contract. That may not even last out the day, but it is, to the best of my knowledge, where things are at right now.
    Every year, many players at all positions sign minimum contracts. Of course you're not going to have any right at the start - why would you sign a minimum contract now if you are a player, even a street-level free agent? You can nab a minimum contract any time between now and training camp, but right now you might luck into a Chickillo deal.

Chickillo is not even a roster hole. If you don't have a player filling that spot adter the draft, that's a league-minimum guy or an UDFA. Those players exist and they are everywhere. Perhaps that says something about our previous state of affairs that we do not want to admit, but the situation is what it is, and paying a minimum-salary guy $4M does not mean that he was (is) not one.

We are talking about a shortage of one player: who would replace Dupree. Plenty of teams in the NFL enact the roster approach I am advocating. You are short one player at a position and you draft one. I fail to see what is so outlandish about that. It's not as if either one of those moves is a high-stakes gamble.

It's like ... "Oh no, what would I ever do if I didn't have my 1998 Volkswagen Passat with a blown head gasket? I might have to find a new car! omg I'm SCREWED - what if it broke down??"

"lol, who even cares? Just find any car for like 4 grand, that one's junk."

"But it's a CAR!"

"Plenty of cars in the world."

"But I don't have the money for a new car! I already have to spend $22,000 to fix this one first!"

"You know there's an easier way to do that, right?"

"WHAT??? Explain how."

"Just get the other car. You know, with that $22,000, you could get a pretty good car, or you could try out three or four cars and just keep the one that's best."

(rocking while holding knees to chest) "nope nope nope ... never work, never work. No new cars. There's no new cars."

"I don't understand. Used cars come up for sale every day. Is there any reason you have to keep pouring money into that broken-down Passat?"

"YES! Because it's A CAR!!! Duh!!!"

"Uh, all right then."

"Ok. I have to go step around all these piles of junk now and go feed my 170 cats." (whispering) "you're safe, my pretty. safe, my pretty."

See you Space Cowboy ...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I definitely do...unless you have confidence in Washington. Which I don’t.
    More pressing needs in the first two rounds than grabbing a WR, in my opinion. ILB, OLB , S, TE
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Not bad at all. Fits the role more than others on the market.

Colbert doing his usual. Collecting enough okayish players that he doesn’t need to force a pick at a specific position on draft day.

Really hope they still find a way to adding to LB group.
    That may be Colbert’s strongest suit.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What are the $$ on this deal??

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

well that can't possibly be true , Ben wouldnt wanna hang out with a WR just ask AB

where I do agree with him is I would not have paid Dupree , I would have instead signed Hicks ( huge upgrade at ILB for less money ) in fact hicks and Chicky for almost the same money as dupree ....

go into the draft looking for a OLB instead ... more Rush OLBs to be had than sideline to sideline coverage ILBs ...

so I get 2 roster spots filled with Duprees money and still have Chicky's contract money in my hand for someone else ( perhaps Houston ) to mentor my rookie ...

that IMO would have been a better plan

consequently the 3.5 million saved would have signed HaHa Clinton Dix

BBQ at Ben’s house tonight!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

where I do agree with him is I would not have paid Dupree , I would have instead signed Hicks ( huge upgrade at ILB for less money ) in fact hicks and Chicky for almost the same money as dupree ....

go into the draft looking for a OLB instead ... more Rush OLBs to be had than sideline to sideline coverage ILBs ...

so I get 2 roster spots filled with Duprees money and still have Chicky's contract money in my hand for someone else ( perhaps Houston ) to mentor my rookie ...

that IMO would have been a better plan
    I've never been confused by the plan. I understand it and agree with it to a degree. But not a single NFL team would ever follow that blueprint. Outside of QB, no team is ever going to go into draft day with a position where if they had to play a game that day they would not have a starter - however crappy or overpaid.

Bottom line - sign Dupree, cut him, or fire him into the sun -- someone was going to be paid by the Pittsburgh Steelers to play OLB on the other side of Watt between the start of the league year and draft day. They were also going to pay someone who has taken more than the 9 regular season snaps that Alpabet soup has to be the top OLB back-up They were paying someone to do that no matter what. At present, Dupree and Chick-filet at $13 million is cheaper than what ANY other OLBs have signed for in the current FA period.

Cut whoever and sign whoever else, but no way they were going into the draft with the depth chart reading: Watt/Chickillo/Alphabet Soup/Practice Squad Dudes.

They would have needed to sign someone. So far, those "someones" have cost between 16-20 million in guaranteed cash.

munchy

what a lousy leader

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I've never been confused by the plan. I understand it and agree with it to a degree. But not a single NFL team would ever follow that blueprint. Outside of QB, no team is ever going to go into draft day with a position where if they had to play a game that day they would not have a starter - however crappy or overpaid.

Bottom line - sign Dupree, cut him, or fire him into the sun -- someone was going to be paid by the Pittsburgh Steelers to play OLB on the other side of Watt between the start of the league year and draft day. They were also going to pay someone who has taken more than the 9 regular season snaps that Alpabet soup has to be the top OLB back-up They were paying someone to do that no matter what. At present, Dupree and Chick-filet at $13 million is cheaper than what ANY other OLBs have signed for in the current FA period.

Cut whoever and sign whoever else, but no way they were going into the draft with the depth chart reading: Watt/Chickillo/Alphabet Soup/Practice Squad Dudes.

They would have needed to sign someone. So far, those "someones" have cost between 16-20 million in guaranteed cash.
    This is my read as well. Yes there are other guys I would rather sign but not at the going price. You simply cannot enter into the draft with a ‘must fill’ role(other than QB). Plus I think players like Chickillo are worth more than most of you guys do apparently. $4M is a decent price for him IMO. I hate Dupree’s contract like everyone else. I could be happy with Bud on a 2year $9.2M. I think that would be cheap for him.

Houston just followed 4 steelers ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers sign WR Donte Moncrief to a 2 year contract.

Houston just followed 4 steelers ...
    Interesting...

Shazier, Pouncey, Haden and Nelson

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Member Array title="Devil's D will become famous soon enough">

After watching this highlight video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDRP7DIxrZE

I’m even happier about the signing. If nothing else, it is a great defensive move…..he will not be scoring on/embarrassing the Steelers defense.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I like Moncrief a lot. I believe he will fit right in with this offense. We definitely need another WR. Washington hasn't proven anything, so some insurance there would be great.

I think we try to move up in the 1st round to get our guy. Our guy has gotta be ILB, TE, or WR imo.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Cant wait to hear more on the weekly radio show!!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Cant wait to hear more on the weekly radio show!!
    Does he have the radio show in the offseason?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

What an asshole......

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Can't wait to hear more on the weekly radio show!!
    You will...like a drive-by fart.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

i feel like he will be a better younger jerricho cotchery. i think ben will feed him.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Every year, many players at all positions sign minimum contracts. Of course you're not going to have any right at the start - why would you sign a minimum contract now if you are a player, even a street-level free agent? You can nab a minimum contract any time between now and training camp, but right now you might luck into a Chickillo deal.

Chickillo is not even a roster hole. If you don't have a player filling that spot adter the draft, that's a league-minimum guy or an UDFA. Those players exist and they are everywhere. Perhaps that says something about our previous state of affairs that we do not want to admit, but the situation is what it is, and paying a minimum-salary guy $4M does not mean that he was (is) not one.

We are talking about a shortage of one player: who would replace Dupree. Plenty of teams in the NFL enact the roster approach I am advocating. You are short one player at a position and you draft one. I fail to see what is so outlandish about that. It's not as if either one of those moves is a high-stakes gamble.

It's like ... "Oh no, what would I ever do if I didn't have my 1998 Volkswagen Passat with a blown head gasket? I might have to find a new car! omg I'm SCREWED - what if it broke down??"

"lol, who even cares? Just find any car for like 4 grand, that one's junk."

"But it's a CAR!"

"Plenty of cars in the world."

"But I don't have the money for a new car! I already have to spend $22,000 to fix this one first!"

"You know there's an easier way to do that, right?"

"WHAT??? Explain how."

"Just get the other car. You know, with that $22,000, you could get a pretty good car, or you could try out three or four cars and just keep the one that's best."

(rocking while holding knees to chest) "nope nope nope ... never work, never work. No new cars. There's no new cars."

"I don't understand. Used cars come up for sale every day. Is there any reason you have to keep pouring money into that broken-down Passat?"

"YES! Because it's A CAR!!! Duh!!!"

"Uh, all right then."

"Ok. I have to go step around all these piles of junk now and go feed my 170 cats." (whispering) "you're safe, my pretty. safe, my pretty."

This avatar must go. I get the dry-heaves every time I see it.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Does he have the radio show in the offseason?
    He should....at least would be something interesting to discuss here instead of 9 reason why the Steelers suck. Really...why stop at 9?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

On paper, Moncrief provides a 2nd proven wr on the team. He also has had at least a better career than dhb abd justin hunter.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    On paper, Moncrief provides a 2nd proven wr on the team. He also has had at least a better career than dhb abd justin hunter.

I also like the fact that they are going to have big-bodied receivers that can compliment the running game. If you have receivers that are willing to block, they can help turn 8-yard runs into 50-yard runs.