Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bell to Jets 4 for 52.5M

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Bell to Jets 4 for 52.5M

Beware...... reported by Rap

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Bell to Jets 4 for 52.5M

Report: Le'Veon Bell Agrees to Four-Year, $52.5 Million Deal With Jets

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED
    By KAELEN JONES March 13, 2019

Free-agent running back Le'Veon Bell has reportedly agreed to sign with the New York Jets, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Tuesday.

According to Schefter, Bell's contract is a four-year, $52.5 million deal. The deal has a max value of $61 million and includes $35 million guaranteed. Bell expressed his excitement following news of the deal.

to read rest of article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/13/le...agreement-jets

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

thats literally only $2 million more per year guaranteed than we offered him. and we offered him $14 million a year vs. $13.125 million a year from the jets. Factor in the whopping $14million plus that he lost out on by sitting out and its an absolute certainty that he lost out on a lot of money regardless of anything else that happens
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

At least we now know Bell and Brown will never own a SB Ring unless they buy one from Rick at Pawn Stars.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Seems Mr. Bell-Einstein cost himself about $18 million by turning down the 5-year, $70-million offer we made, since both contracts will finish at the same time. Hope you had fun.

Crap, that's still more than $12M a year, isn't it. Guess I'd better start doing "Tom Brady gay" searches in Google Images for an avatar. Glad they have incognito mode.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Seems Mr. Bell-Einstein cost himself about $18 million by turning down the 5-year, $70-million offer we made, since both contracts will finish at the same time. Hope you had fun.

Crap, that's still more than $12M a year, isn't it. Guess I'd better start doing "Tom Brady gay" searches in Google Images for an avatar. Glad they have incognito mode.
    To funny bro.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

love your new avatar, you have great taste in men

Yes and no. Remember, his whole thing was absolute guaranteed money. Only 10 mill was absolutely guaranteed on the Steelers offer. It seems here, 35 mill is absolutely guaranteed. So, he got what he wanted, or at least part of it.

My big thing is . . . why would a team give that much to a player who is not willing to bet on himself lasting five more years?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

yeah this dumbass lost out on a lot of money by sitting out. good

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

That's real courage you're showing by posting that terrifying pic so quickly to honor the bet.

A lesser man may have bailed on this message board......or I might have cried a little bit.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Bakari going to get roasted for this

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

I hope in two years the Steelers look very smart with both disloyal layers not performing as the foolish teams expected. This is a real possibility.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

All that for nothing. And your production is about to plummet

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I think its pretty clear that Bell and his agent are both idiots. I'm glad we don't have to deal with Bell again until we play the Jets later this year.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I love it. Bell and Brown on two horrible teams. Now let's see them put their Superman capes on and win. Man will the grass still be greener?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Let's see if he passes his next piss test.

J-E-T-Suspension!!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Extra funny now because it looks like his deal tops out at around $61M...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

AB - “right way” to get a raise...

LB - “wrong way” to get.a “raise”...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

munchy

so far this is the only sorta steeler related news that hasnt bummed me out the past year................bell is a moron

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Heckuva job by Le'Veon and Bakari

Le’Veon Bell becomes a Jet, reinforces the plight of NFL running backs

What was principle worth to Le’Veon Bell? It ended up costing him millions of dollars, and if taking a stand against the Pittsburgh Steelers mattered to him more than the dough, more power to him — he can rightfully, stubbornly claim victory. Strictly as a financial strategy, Bell’s season-long holdout failed....

From a purely monetary outlook, Bell’s decision backfired, which is what most everyone in the game expected. The Sports & Entertainment Group, Bell’s agency, “has the hardest job in the NFL,” a fellow agent said before free agency’s start. Bell had a threshold he needed to meet to validate his year-long hiatus, but the demand for running backs — especially 27-year-olds with more than 1,500 career touches — left no realistic chance he could....

The Indianapolis Colts, who showed no apparent interest in Bell, provide an example of how teams view running backs in free agency. The Colts currently use three running backs, Marlon Mack, Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins, all of whom are entering their second or third year, were picked in the fourth and fifth round and make less than $1 million per season. The Colts had more nearly $100 million available....

The message to running backs: Your job can be done on the cheap, by players who have fresh legs that teams view as interchangeable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.7cbb8b5c5a84

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    That's real courage you're showing by posting that terrifying pic so quickly to honor the bet.

A lesser man may have bailed on this message board......or I might have cried a little bit.
    I'm actually disappointed, last time I had a reason to search for "Tom Brady gay," there was a really good photoshopped picture that came up that looked like he was actually banging a dude. But either it got taken down or I have the search term wrong. Gonna have to expand the search to things like "Tom Brady goatse" and "Tom Brady lemon party." Which I'm certain will also yield results to a certain thread on this message board from a couple years ago. And eventually, now this one!

がんばります!!!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Nice that someone is willing to step up and spin this as a victory for Bell and Bakari

Le’Veon Bell Lit Some Cash on Fire, but It Was Never About the Money

At one point in The Dark Knight, Heath Ledger’s Joker lights a pile of money the size of a bodega on fire....

“It’s not about money,” the Joker says. “It’s about sending a message.”

Le’Veon Bell is the NFL’s Joker....

Many will point to Bell’s efforts over the past year and call them an abject failure, and Bell himself has been called many things—selfish, stupid, and much worse. If his attempt is viewed solely through the lens of maximizing his career earnings, it was a failure. But if people had listened to what he has said throughout this process (and you don’t have to parse his new rap album to do so), they would know that this has always been about sending a message....

Bell is not going to make up the $14.5 million he lost. But he had the opportunity to send a message, and he tried, though the message was clearly lost in translation.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3...eelers-holdout

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

"It was never about the money for Bell" -- Lol... especially since he came out behind!! Jets still overpaid. Credit to the Colts and Ravens who acted wisely. The Jets are a dumpster organization and the team will be looking to unload Bell within 2 years.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

So let me get this straight, he took less money to play for a perennial loser, lol. Big L by Bell here.

Sure, a little more guaranteed money, but he wasn't willing to take a bet on himself for 4 years? That doesn't necessarily scream confidence and maybe those kind of weak minded people don't belong with the Steelers

Bell caved in plain and simple! If we offered this contract to him, he would have ripped it up and thrown it back at us laughing. So much for the Steelers being 'cheap' lol Wasn't our offer more generous than this? It seems that if he even lasted 2-3 years he would have came out ahead, which isn't bad odds considering the caliber of player he was.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Steelers need to figure out somehow if the burning need for specifically up-front guaranteed cash was/is a Bell and Brown thing, or if it is part of a trend among players across the league. If it is, they may have to strongly reconsider how they do things. I am specifically thinking with Juju and Watt, who could be looking at early extensions with the team as soon as this next off-season.

Steelers have typically enticed players with longer deals worth a good deal of money. Maybe shorter deals, less overall but more guaranteed is what players want now?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Steelers need to figure out somehow if the burning need for specifically up-front guaranteed cash was/is a Bell and Brown thing, or if it is part of a trend among players across the league. If it is, they may have to strongly reconsider how they do things. I am specifically thinking with Juju and Watt, who could be looking at early extensions with the team as soon as this next off-season.

Steelers have typically enticed players with longer deals worth a good deal of money. Maybe shorter deals, less overall but more guaranteed is what players want now?
    I don't think this is the case, but Bell will say it is. His ego won't allow him to say he took an L, but plain and simple he bet on himself and lost. He wanted guaranteed money but also 15-17M per year. When he found out he couldn't get that much + guaranteed, his agent probably convinced him to just take the best offer and play, otherwise there'd be no takers. Sooner or later he'd come back because he needs to get that money.

AFAIK, his agent accepted the deal we offered him 2 years ago, but his dumb ass was the one who said no and started this whole mess.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I don't think this is the case, but Bell will say it is. His ego won't allow him to say he took an L, but plain and simple he bet on himself and lost. He wanted guaranteed money but also 15-17M per year. When he found out he couldn't get that much + guaranteed, his agent probably convinced him to just take the best offer and play, otherwise there'd be no takers. Sooner or later he'd come back because he needs to get that money.

AFAIK, his agent accepted the deal we offered him 2 years ago, but his dumb ass was the one who said no and started this whole mess.
    All true. But, while I have by no means looked at the terms of the recent contracts across the league, it seems guys are making more and more statements about guaranteed cash and not #of years or total value. I remember not all that long ago, it was all about total value and/or length of deal. Which teams then used to make "funny money" contracts. Players may have finally gotten wise to that and realized that 5 year deal is really only a 2 year deal with 3 team options...

Again, I don't know because it is too hard to use Twitter and the loud statements from a small # of players as a barometer for the league. But I don't get paid to know this stuff. Colbert and his minions do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I believe they need to follow the rest of the league and guarantee more of the contract, but in hindsight they were dealing with two players who were going to be a problem in any negotiation

It appears a big part of what was upsetting Brown was he just wanted more $$$ midway through the contract after the OBJ deal - it was not as if the Steelers were going to release him during his contract absent a Shazier type injury - not certain how you can deal with that since the going rate for the top of the pyramid increases every year as the cap increases. Add to that Brown might want/need more of the contract paid out upfront again given his cavalier way with cash.

Bell was simply convinced the Steelers as oppressor robber barons would not pay him market rate, which Bakari fed with the legacy of struggle/social warrior for justice bullshit, and found out to the contrary - he reportedly got $35 million guaranteed from the Jets while Rapoport last summer said the Steelers offer included $33 million guaranteed with $45 million payable in the first three years