Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bell to Jets 4 for 52.5M

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Bell to Jets 4 for 52.5M

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I believe they need to follow the rest of the league and guarantee more of the contract, but in hindsight they were dealing with two players who were going to be a problem in any negotiation

It appears a big part of what was upsetting Brown was he just wanted more $$$ midway through the contract after the OBJ deal - it was not as if the Steelers were going to release him during his contract absent a Shazier type injury - not certain how you can deal with that since the going rate for the top of the pyramid increases every year as the cap increases. Add to that Brown might want/need more of the contract paid out upfront again given his cavalier way with cash.

Bell was simply convinced the Steelers as oppressor robber barons would not pay him market rate, which Bakari fed with the legacy of struggle/social warrior for justice bullshit, and found out to the contrary - he reportedly got $35 million guaranteed from the Jets while Rapoport last summer said the Steelers offer included $33 million guaranteed with $45 million payable in the first three years
    Agree with all of that as well. Honestly, I remember reading somewhere that Aaron Rodgers and his camp proposed a salary structure that scaled with the cap on a yearly basis. While it was an innovative idea that got rejected by the Packers, it might go a long way towards keeping these contracts for star players from become outdated a season after they are signed.

But as I have posted elsewhere, the NFL is such a change averse environment that I don't see any teams that would be willing to be the first to try something radically new out.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Le'Veon Bell reportedly a no-show at Jets' voluntary minicamp just weeks after signing huge contract

The Jets biggest free agent signing wasn't on the field for their first official practice of the offseason

by John Breech

If the New York Jets thought a $52.5 million contract was going to be enough to get Le'Veon Bell to show up to voluntary minicamp this offseason, they thought wrong.

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...huge-contract/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Le'Veon Bell reportedly a no-show at Jets' voluntary minicamp just weeks after signing huge contract

The Jets biggest free agent signing wasn't on the field for their first official practice of the offseason

by John Breech

If the New York Jets thought a $52.5 million contract was going to be enough to get Le'Veon Bell to show up to voluntary minicamp this offseason, they thought wrong.

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...huge-contract/
    Three days after 4/20 that guy's not going to be anywhere NEAR an official team facility. You gotta give him at least another 30 days.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Three days after 4/20 that guy's not going to be anywhere NEAR an official team facility. You gotta give him at least another 30 days.
    so true but dayum when do you get to lose that horrible avatar
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

So glad he's the Jets problem now.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    so true but dayum when do you get to lose that horrible avatar
    Oh yeah! Shit, that was 4/20 also (4/19 was the last day). I had become so numb to it that I forgot all about it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Oh yeah! Shit, that was 4/20 also (4/19 was the last day). I had become so numb to it that I forgot all about it.
    you're a man of your word, in a way you were right because Le'Veon did receive a lot lower contract than he had hoped for...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

You're the only one that was numb to it!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Bell cut by the Ravens today.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Bell cut by the Ravens today.
    that's gotta be the end of Le'Veon's NFL career.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Now he can focus on rapping and jet skying.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

He earned $45 million over his career, so at least he should have some funds to pursue whatever may be next.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    that's gotta be the end of Le'Veon's NFL career.
    I agree. I can't see him playing again elsewhere unless he really commits himself to getting if top shape and being prepared to play football. I don't know LeVeon or his motivations in life, but it appears to me that he no longer really cared about professional football once he got the big contract from the Jets with guaranteed money.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    He earned $45 million over his career, so at least he should have some funds to pursue whatever may be next.
    One can hope that he saved some of it.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

One can hope that he saved some of it.
    Yes, that can be the issue with a lot of pro athletes. Good representation and good planning can be their best friend.

Darrius Heyward Bey was reportedly a guy that lived well within his means and managed his finances well. Something about him driving a used GM sedan as his primary vehicle and living modestly.

I have no ill will to Bell. Enjoyed his time as a Steeler and never blamed him for wanting to get a long term contract and one of value. He just over negotiated himself and lost focus on football by focusing too much on his contract.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Now he can focus on rapping and jet skying.
    he should find another passion because he sure aint gonna find success in the rap game, he sucks at it

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Yes, that can be the issue with a lot of pro athletes. Good representation and good planning can be their best friend.

Darrius Heyward Bey was reportedly a guy that lived well within his means and managed his finances well. Something about him driving a used GM sedan as his primary vehicle and living modestly.

I have no ill will to Bell. Enjoyed his time as a Steeler and never blamed him for wanting to get a long term contract and one of value. He just over negotiated himself and lost focus on football by focusing too much on his contract.
    His mother watched over the books.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bell was a fun player to watch while he was in Pittsburgh.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Bell was a fun player to watch while he was in Pittsburgh.

No doubt

No doubt at least a few million is earmarked for a failed record label.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Back when the QB and O-line play on this team helped elevate whoever was at RB. Hopefully they can get back to that soon

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

No doubt at least a few million is earmarked for a failed record label.
    and child support for 6 different women lol

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Meh…so he got laid a lot…he’s got the money for the kids…lol. If he knows them all…

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Meh…so he got laid a lot…he’s got the money for the kids…lol. If he knows them all…
    I don't know ... child support for pro athletes seems to be set up so that you are paying each kid's mom as if she was in the NFL. Like, $30k-$50k a month each would not surprise me if they negotiated it stupidly while he was earning the most (which I have no doubt he did). Keep an eye out for him in a few years, arguing he doesn't have enough money to pay it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

DHB’s mom is a financial planner. He has budgeted his yearly-spending based on the interest from his rookie signing bonus/rookie deal ($9 million). Even at 1% interest, his income is $90,000 per year.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I agree. I can't see him playing again elsewhere unless he really commits himself to getting if top shape and being prepared to play football..
    The guy is turning 30 in three months. It's over.

I have no ill will to Bell. Enjoyed his time as a Steeler and never blamed him for wanting to get a long term contract and one of value.
    Especially since it was the Steelers who drank the cream with this guy as he hasn't done squat since he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Between that and his "posse" I'm sure that $45 mil is gonna last...

Le'Veon, Le'Veon likes his money
    He made a lot, they say
    Spends his days countin'
    In a garage by the motorway...

(One more "Levon" reference for the road before the guy fades into total obscurity - with apologies to Elton John and Bernie Taupin)

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

That “hesitate, wait and find the hole” style works…when you have a decent OL. It sounds like Bell was a decent fit in the clubhouse, but he didn’t do much on the field.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I don't know ... child support for pro athletes seems to be set up so that you are paying each kid's mom as if she was in the NFL. Like, $30k-$50k a month each would not surprise me if they negotiated it stupidly while he was earning the most (which I have no doubt he did). Keep an eye out for him in a few years, arguing he doesn't have enough money to pay it.
    Yep, he will literally be drained of all his money. And then when he's flat broke, the kids will suffer. The only ones who make out on these cases are the attorneys.

the Steelers and Chiefs? is this writer smoking crack?

3 Potential Landing Spots For Le’Veon Bell

https://www.thecoldwire.com/potentia...r-leveon-bell/