Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers re-sign Chickillo to a 2 year deal.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Steelers re-sign Chickillo to a 2 year deal.

Chickillo is a 4-3 DE playing OLB in a 3-4. He probably would have been better in NE.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Chickillo is a 4-3 DE playing OLB in a 3-4. He probably would have been better in NE. I think there will be an OLB drafted early this year since we signed a CB in FA. That may end Chickillo here after all. Trust the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Right. Which is what my post was talking about. It all depends on where you set the numbers. If the Chickillo signing is a "good signing" @ $4 million than it is hard to simultaneous argue that the Dupree signing @ 9 million is terrible. If the Dupree signing is terrible, then so is the Chickillo signing.

I think Chickillo is the Matakevich of outside linebackers. He tries real hard and plays a great ST role. But he just isn't playable in base defense for more than a snap here or there. Why he was resigned over almost anyone else...I don't really know. I mean I do know...no holes on the roster prior to the draft...solid veteran... blah blah blah.

Look, we can all argue about individual player evaluations but what remains to be seen and it will crystalize in the next 3 weeks or so, what is the cost for a back-up OLB not on a rookie deal? We assume it is less than $4 million. Perhaps that needs recalibrated. Same with a mediocre starting OLB not on rookie deal. We assume it is far south of 6 million. Maybe that isn't the case any longer.

And I reject the argument that it isn't about who you can or can not sign in FA. You have to back-fill any roster holes you create by cutting players for performance, attitude, or salary reasons. So what filling that position costs is a massive part of the overall evaluation. I mean we can talk about imaginary players that are unproven roles of the dice all day long. But you have to get one or three of them on your roster. And that costs something either in draft picks or cap dollars. Attempting to judge what that would be is an important consideration.

I really think that Barrett, Ray, and the Green Bay duo will be excellent measuring sticks for the Steelers OLB decisions. If Dupree equals or exceeds the pressures and sacks that either one of the GB duo generates, then he is a bargain. If he falls flat - then it was a large scale overpay. If Barrett and Ray sign for 7 million or under and outproduce Dupree, then it was a waste of resources. If they sign for 4 million or under and outproduce Chickilllo, then we are really talking about a series of terrible decisions.

If Toledo Alphabet Soup pushes hard for snaps and emerges as a holy terror off the edge, then the whole thing is a moot point and the team wasted a great deal of cap space.

However if Dupree has about 8 sacks and isn't a complete liability in the run game, then the Steelers got themselves a solid bargain.
    I may be approaching this FA from the wrong perspective entirely. But looking at position groups in a way similar to draft prospects the Chickillo/Dupree signings mean this we ensure the ‘floor’ is this high. By now we should have an understanding what the ceiling is too, but we have now established the floor is no lower than this level. Again, doesn’t mean the draft won’t make Chick’s contract null and void this preseason or that he can’t be traded ala Gilbert or another FA comes available ala Haden. As for $4M, I don’t know. Not my concern really.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/ne...ony-chickillo/

So what is really going on is that Chickillo is playing this year for for 2 million dollars and is being cut next year before he earns 6 million. Throw in some signing bonus cash and Chick gets 3 million this year and the team eats 1.1 million when they cut him this time next season.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Chickillo is a 4-3 DE playing OLB in a 3-4. He probably would have been better in NE.
    fuck new england

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    fuck new england

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    $4 million a year? For what exactly?
    Insurance if Bud gets hurt, or goes elsewhere in free agency.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Chick is fine for a backup. If he started he’d have more sacks than Dupree.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Chick is fine for a backup. If he started he’d have more sacks than Dupree.
    I agree, the Cheatriots offered Chick the same exact deal and he chose us. we have much bigger worries than Chickillo being a backup OLB and playing special teams very well for us.