Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers re-sign Chickillo to a 2 year deal.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers re-sign Chickillo to a 2 year deal.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers re-sign Chickillo to a 2 year deal.

$4 million a year? For what exactly?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I was just going to say "ok" but then I saw the price ... that's a lot for a shaky backup, isn't it?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Have anyone seen the market for these edge rushers?

Not surprised he got $4m per for 2 years.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

These are the kinds of moves I was hoping for!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

He's a back up so he won't have the statistics, but Chick is a very good ST player and can play on both sides.

Also, cap going up means more $$$

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

4 million for a backup. why can't my job have this kind of inflation?

limited cap space and we blow it on overpriced backups..man im really starting to question this organization

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Meh. Not terrible but I’d rolled the dice on something else.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Meh. Not terrible but I’d rolled the dice on something else.

Now they can pick up Dupree's fifth-year option and trade him. He's a young edge player and they can move him after they come to a secret agreement with Ansah!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Now they can pick up Dupree's fifth-year option and trade him. He's a young edge player and they can move him after they come to a secret agreement with Ansah!
    So the Steelers could trade Dupree?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

SUPERBOWL!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Chick Filet is a better OLB than Bud Dupree.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Taperiots offered Chickillo the same contract... but, Chickillo opted to stay with the Steelers.

“Why?” you ask.

Chickillo said that he wants to prove “those who have doubted the Steelers” wrong.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Everyone's counting us out already, and i think that's premature

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Way too much.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Could this mean Buds 5th year isn’t guaranteed

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

S-U-P-E-R-B-O-W-L!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

$4M a year is a good deal for Chickillo. True he’ll never be more than depth but the guy comes to play every down. The only issue I take with this deal is it’s the deal Dupree should be on. 2years at $4M each instead of 1year for $9M. But now that we signed Nelson I feel better about upgrading the OLB position with an early draft pick. I haven’t really looked at them for 1st/2nd round yet.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    $4M a year is a good deal for Chickillo. True he’ll never be more than depth but the guy comes to play every down. The only issue I take with this deal is it’s the deal Dupree should be on. 2years at $4M each instead of 1year for $9M. But now that we signed Nelson I feel better about upgrading the OLB position with an early draft pick. I haven’t really looked at them for 1st/2nd round yet.
    I agree and disagree.

If $4 million per year is the deal that Chickillo should be on, it also can' t be the deal that Dupree should be on. Dupree is better than Chickillo. While it may not be by leaps and bounds, he is the superior player. Chickillo is regularly targeted and victimized in both the short passing game and outside runs by teams forcing him to play in space, where he is stiff and sometimes hesitant. His pass rush is not excellent either. Dupree is more fluid and decisive in space (it may be the wrong decision...) and his pass rush is more effective. Dupree is overpaid. But if Chickillo is not overpaid, then Dupree is only overpaid by about 1-2 million. Additionally, let's see what guys get on the FA market after the top pass rushers are signed...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I agree and disagree.

If $4 million per year is the deal that Chickillo should be on, it also can' t be the deal that Dupree should be on. Dupree is better than Chickillo. While it may not be by leaps and bounds, he is the superior player. Chickillo is regularly targeted and victimized in both the short passing game and outside runs by teams forcing him to play in space, where he is stiff and sometimes hesitant. His pass rush is not excellent either. Dupree is more fluid and decisive in space (it may be the wrong decision...) and his pass rush is more effective. Dupree is overpaid. But if Chickillo is not overpaid, then Dupree is only overpaid by about 1-2 million. Additionally, let's see what guys get on the FA market after the top pass rushers are signed...
    It’s a good deal FOR Chickillo, but it should be Dupree’s deal. I expect one to be cut after the draft now.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    It’s a good deal FOR Chickillo, but it should be Dupree’s deal. I expect one to be cut after the draft now.
    I figure that prior to this off-season Dupree should be playing for about 6-8 million bucks. After this round of FA signings is done - Dupree might end up being a bargain.

Let's see what Shaq Barrett, Shane Ray, and Eli Harold end up getting. Also keep an eye on the 2019 performance of the duo of pass rushers that Green Bay signed. They threw a ton of money at guys that are statistically within shouting distance of Dupree.

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Taperiots offered Chickillo the same contract... but, Chickillo opted to stay with the Steelers.

“Why?” you ask.

Chickillo said that he wants to prove “those who have doubted the Steelers” wrong.

oh oh, sounds like chickillo took a few too many shots to the head
    nice for him to make that comment but no way he stayed because that. we simply offered more money

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I agree and disagree.

Chickillo is a year-to-year league-minimum guy, at most a $2M a year temporary backup and special teamer. Talent level, not contract offer. If someone else offered $4M a year, then fine, that's exactly who you let go and replace with a draft pick without even a half-second of hesitation.

Dupree is the guy who some team offers $7 million and you let walk because you know he's going to produce about half that much value. Or pay him $9 million preemptively, your call.

To clarify: It is not about "who are you going to sign in free agency for less / that is better" ... it is about "These are the kinds of guys that you HAVE to let go under the salary cap, and yes, that means you are going to have to take some chances on unproven players who cost less." Paying through the nose for proven junk is exactly what you get punished for.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Chickillo is a year-to-year league-minimum guy, at most a $2M a year temporary backup and special teamer. Talent level, not contract offer. If someone else offered $4M a year, then fine, that's exactly who you let go and replace with a draft pick without even a half-second of hesitation.

Dupree is the guy who some team offers $7 million and you let walk because you know he's going to produce about half that much value. Or pay him $9 million preemptively, your call.

To clarify: It is not about "who are you going to sign in free agency for less / that is better" ... it is about "These are the kinds of guys that you HAVE to let go under the salary cap, and yes, that means you are going to have to take some chances on unproven players who cost less." Paying through the nose for proven junk is exactly what you get punished for.
    Right. Which is what my post was talking about. It all depends on where you set the numbers. If the Chickillo signing is a "good signing" @ $4 million than it is hard to simultaneous argue that the Dupree signing @ 9 million is terrible. If the Dupree signing is terrible, then so is the Chickillo signing.

I think Chickillo is the Matakevich of outside linebackers. He tries real hard and plays a great ST role. But he just isn't playable in base defense for more than a snap here or there. Why he was resigned over almost anyone else...I don't really know. I mean I do know...no holes on the roster prior to the draft...solid veteran... blah blah blah.

Look, we can all argue about individual player evaluations but what remains to be seen and it will crystalize in the next 3 weeks or so, what is the cost for a back-up OLB not on a rookie deal? We assume it is less than $4 million. Perhaps that needs recalibrated. Same with a mediocre starting OLB not on rookie deal. We assume it is far south of 6 million. Maybe that isn't the case any longer.

And I reject the argument that it isn't about who you can or can not sign in FA. You have to back-fill any roster holes you create by cutting players for performance, attitude, or salary reasons. So what filling that position costs is a massive part of the overall evaluation. I mean we can talk about imaginary players that are unproven roles of the dice all day long. But you have to get one or three of them on your roster. And that costs something either in draft picks or cap dollars. Attempting to judge what that would be is an important consideration.

I really think that Barrett, Ray, and the Green Bay duo will be excellent measuring sticks for the Steelers OLB decisions. If Dupree equals or exceeds the pressures and sacks that either one of the GB duo generates, then he is a bargain. If he falls flat - then it was a large scale overpay. If Barrett and Ray sign for 7 million or under and outproduce Dupree, then it was a waste of resources. If they sign for 4 million or under and outproduce Chickilllo, then we are really talking about a series of terrible decisions.

If Toledo Alphabet Soup pushes hard for snaps and emerges as a holy terror off the edge, then the whole thing is a moot point and the team wasted a great deal of cap space.

However if Dupree has about 8 sacks and isn't a complete liability in the run game, then the Steelers got themselves a solid bargain.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Is Shane Ray really that much better than Dupree?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Is Shane Ray really that much better than Dupree?
    I honestly have no idea. I keep bringing him up because others have indicated that he either is better or could be at worst equally as good for far less money. So, 2019 is a great test laboratory for those claims. Someone will sign him before the draft. After that pretty easy to track production versus contract dollars between the two.

Chick probably would've been All-Pro for the Patriots... Plus he would've got to say Hi to Tommy Brady every day.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Chick a slow...