Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers and free agent CB Steven Nelson agreed to terms on a 3-year deal

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Steelers and free agent CB Steven Nelson agreed to terms on a 3-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That's a good question. The Chiefs by most accounts have cap space. They also have one of the best QBs currently on rookie deals. So...the logical play is to spend ALL the money everywhere else on the roster. Instead, the seem to be shedding salary.

They got out of the Dee Ford and Justin Houston business. They are rumored to be considering getting out from Berry's contract. And they signed Matthieu. Tyreek Hill likely gets a record extension, but I have no idea why they seem to be holding onto cap space.

In other words, their move so far make no sense to me and I am not sure that the Chiefs failing to resign someone at this point is a barometer of anything good or bad.
    That's a lot of turnover on their defense, even with signing Matthieu, I don't see how their defense can make a positive step going into next season.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So if Nelson was that good (playing devils advocate), why would the Chiefs let him go?
    they also parted ways with Marcus Peters , granted in different fashion but he is gone regardless
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

andy reid is the gm correct?

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Chiefs moves so far make no sense. They are a team with lots of money and they are steady dropping decent players and getting no draft picks for them . IDK, seems like a defense implosion

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Nelson was somebody that I liked as a 3rd or 4th round pick in his draft year. At 5'10" and quicker than fast, I thought that he looked like more of a guy to play slot CB, but I guess he will be on the outside opposite Haden. An upgrade over Sensabaugh or Burns.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Chiefs moves so far make no sense. They are a team with lots of money and they are steady dropping decent players and getting no draft picks for them . IDK, seems like a defense implosion

New DC and I hear they're switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Needs different types of players and an overhaul

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

He's no Artie Burns, so there's that.

OK, we'll see how this goes.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    He's no Artie Burns, so there's that.

OK, we'll see how this goes.
    My favorite thing this week is how the talking heads have said that Nelson is being signed as a nickel back because the Steelers have Haden and Burns starting outside. You know that first round draft pick Artie Burns from a couple years ago...(Brady Quinn being a major one). It just continues to show that no one prepares for their job and if they don’t know the answer, instead of saying they don’t know, they just spew some facts that are so far untrue...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Anybody see Nelson’s Tweets from back in 2011 and 2012 bashing the Steelers? It’s actually pretty funny. Sounds like he was a Steelers fan back then...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Anybody see Nelson’s Tweets from back in 2011 and 2012 bashing the Steelers? It’s actually pretty funny. Sounds like he was a Steelers fan back then...
    There was Twitter back then?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

He thought that the Steelers were going to draft him...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Nelson was somebody that I liked as a 3rd or 4th round pick in his draft year. At 5'10" and quicker than fast, I thought that he looked like more of a guy to play slot CB, but I guess he will be on the outside opposite Haden. An upgrade over Sensabaugh or Burns.
    Nelson is better as a slot corner.

on the outside this past season he allowed 14.1 yds per reception, probably why KC was willing to let him go.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Nelson is better as a slot corner.

on the outside this past season he allowed 14.1 yds per reception, probably why KC was willing to let him go.
    That is the exact opposite of everything I read. Not the ypr figure, but the idea that Nelson is not a boundary CB. Several articles I read basically said he got far better as KC moved him outside from the slot.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

That is the exact opposite of everything I read. Not the ypr figure, but the idea that Nelson is not a boundary CB. Several articles I read basically said he got far better as KC moved him outside from the slot.
    I read that at Pro Football Focus so you do have to take it with a grain of salt.

nevertheless, giving up an average of 14.1 yds per reception isn't good no matter how you slice it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I read that at Pro Football Focus so you do have to take it with a grain of salt.

nevertheless, giving up an average of 14.1 yds per reception isn't good no matter how you slice it.
    Fair enough. I found this earlier https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/11/...-nelson-2019/:

"There’s also the fact that Nelson has finally stuck to a specific role instead of moving back and forth between the boundary and slot positions. Playing in a boundary role helps Nelson’s style of play using that boundary as another defender considering he tends to play more aggressively."

No idea if that is a decent report or not.

As to the 14.1 #, I didn't find that. I found a variety of #'s listed around 12 yards. I did see somewhere that not only did Nelson face more pass targets than any other DB, but they were deeper than any other DB as well. He did have a fairly high incompletion rate on those targets. So, maybe he actually defends a # of passes, but if they are all 10, 20, or more yards downfield, any completions you do allow are going to spike that yard per reception #?

Hard to tell because some much of these advanced stats are behind pay-walls.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

Smart man.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

He’s going to wear 22.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

With the Steelers able to start Nelson and Haden on the outside how important does it become to get Sensabaugh re-signed to back up either/both? Just talking boundary defense Allen or one of the safeties is all there is behind them. Colbert and Tomlin were both at LSU, Clemson, Michigan, and Notre Dame pro days which puts guys like Greedy Williams, Trayvon Mullen, and Julien Love in the mix for 1st round possibilities if tradition continues. I have paid Nelson zero attention for his career so I have no idea how to expect him to play for us.Is he head and shoulders better than Sensabaugh? Does signing Nelson take the 1st round CB draft prospects off the Steelers board? For me this signing helps solidify depth but how do you guys feel moving forward at boundary?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Nelson I think lessens the need for a corner. Depth is still an issue but I don't consider a round 1 presser of a need. For round 1, I would like to see some others areas addressed such as TE (who plays when Vance goes down), Safety, a OLB (don't tell me Bud Dupree is a viable answer as a starting OLB, 4 years and he hasn't made an impact), ILB (Not sold on Barron as more than depth). With Moncrief I would also wait on WR ((especially since I am not sold on this WR class)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Nelson I think lessens the need for a corner. Depth is still an issue but I don't consider a round 1 presser of a need. For round 1, I would like to see some others areas addressed such as TE (who plays when Vance goes down), Safety, a OLB (don't tell me Bud Dupree is a viable answer as a starting OLB, 4 years and he hasn't made an impact), ILB (Not sold on Barron as more than depth). With Moncrief I would also wait on WR ((especially since I am not sold on this WR class)
    In your opinion is Nelson a good enough signing to take the top listed boundary CBs off the Steelers 1st round board? Sensabaugh is not re-signed at this time, and Brian Allen is the only CB behind Nelson and Haden at this time. How much dropoff in boundary CB talent between the 1st round and the 3rd round? I think Nelson is a very good, much needed signing. I just don't know if it does lessen the need for a boundary CB moving forward, or if it does lessen the need, to what extent. Not trying to turn this into another draft thread, I am asking about what Nelson brings to the position.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    In your opinion is Nelson a good enough signing to take the top listed boundary CBs off the Steelers 1st round board? Sensabaugh is not re-signed at this time, and Brian Allen is the only CB behind Nelson and Haden at this time. How much dropoff in boundary CB talent between the 1st round and the 3rd round? I think Nelson is a very good, much needed signing. I just don't know if it does lessen the need for a boundary CB moving forward, or if it does lessen the need, to what extent. Not trying to turn this into another draft thread, I am asking about what Nelson brings to the position.
    Depth is still an issue, and yes I am well aware that free agency is no sure thing but they have Haden and Hilton already and now they are paying over $8 million a year on Nelson. With some measures it seems on paper they addressed no. 2 CB and if they aren't sold on Nelson that they still want to spend a 1st round pick on a corner, why pay him $25 million over 3 years especially with other positions that still need immediate starters

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Depth is still an issue, and yes I am well aware that free agency is no sure thing but they have Haden and Hilton already and now they are paying over $8 million a year on Nelson. With some measures it seems on paper they addressed no. 2 CB and if they aren't sold on Nelson that they still want to spend a 1st round pick on a corner, why pay him $25 million over 3 years especially with other positions that still need immediate starters
    As for the 'why', Colbert never goes into a draft with a position empty. Comparatively the Nelson signing is inexpensive for a boundary CB to a boundary CB hungry team. My previous thought was the same as what you are saying here too. Why sign Nelson to a multi-year deal if he's not at least your 2019 starter? I just no longer think this signing drops the need for a boundary CB enough to take one off the 1st round board, or at least makes me question that move if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    In your opinion is Nelson a good enough signing to take the top listed boundary CBs off the Steelers 1st round board? Sensabaugh is not re-signed at this time, and Brian Allen is the only CB behind Nelson and Haden at this time.
    you forgot about Artie Burnt.

this is going to be his breakout year...

Haden is approaching the “drop off” point in his career. So, a CB is still a very real option at 20.

I mean, we have had two good CBs in the past twenty years... so, I wouldn’t stop trying to fill that void (just because we just signed Nelson). Personally, I’d draft a CB (by the end of R3) every single draft.

Sidenote: I could see Haden switching to FS (in 2020).

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I wonder if Haden moving to FS after this season is a viable option? Sean Davis' contract is up after this year I believe, and I am not sure he is the long term answer at that spot. I could see Haden going the Rod Woodson route and switching to FS for the remainder of his career. I think CB is a definite possibility in the first round.

(OK, just saw Teegre's post after writing the above.......so obviously some of you all are thinking like me regarding Haden and the FS spot).

Counting on Haden for much beyond this year is unwise, in my opinion. DB play quality and injury seems to fall off a cliff at some random point over 30 years old. Haden turns 30 in April. Revis fell out of the league starting in his age 31 season. Richard Sherman began to break down and struggle with injuries at 29. Of course the Woodsons (Rod and Charles) and Darell Green played forever, so who knows? But I would start throwing draft picks higher than the 4th round at the situation immediately. Burns is toast unless Austin is the same level of position coach that Munchak was. Sutton is not even close to what he was billed as being. Allen just never panned out. That is about as bad as the LB room.

Counting on Haden for much beyond this year is unwise, in my opinion. DB play quality and injury seems to fall off a cliff at some random point over 30 years old. Haden turns 30 in April. Revis fell out of the league starting in his age 31 season. Richard Sherman began to break down and struggle with injuries at 29. Of course the Woodsons (Rod and Charles) and Darell Green played forever, so who knows? But I would start throwing draft picks higher than the 4th round at the situation immediately. Burns is toast unless Austin is the same level of position coach that Munchak was. Sutton is not even close to what he was billed as being. Allen just never panned out. That is about as bad as the LB room.
    Agree with this. At 20 I would look for Greedy, Mullen, Love, possibly Murphy, Gardner-Johnson, or Bush/Wilson. I think the need is simply too great to find somebody at CB and ILB that the Steelers are forced to go there at 20. 31 players will come off the board before they pick again.

Haden has even said he expects to make the move to FS later in his career so that wouldn't surprise a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

you forgot about Artie Burnt.

this is going to be his breakout year...
    LOL! I didn't forget him, I actually no longer count on him at this point.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Could just throw spaghetti at the walls. Draft nothing but DBs from rnd 4 on.surely one of them will be decent

Merry Christmas