Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers and free agent CB Steven Nelson agreed to terms on a 3-year deal

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers and free agent CB Steven Nelson agreed to terms on a 3-year deal

I got my established CB.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I got my established CB.
    this begs the question, why wouldn't KC do this kind of a deal with him?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    this begs the question, why wouldn't KC do this kind of a deal with him?
    KC is having an odd off-season. They cut Houston, traded Ford, and let their best CB hit free agency.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    KC is having an odd off-season. They cut Houston, traded Ford, and let their best CB hit free agency.
    All while they should be following the Eagles, Rams, and Browns blueprint of throwing cash around while their QB is cheap.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Maybe those popping a Browns boner can do it in another thread? This is a thread to celebrate the Steelers actually signing a legit Cornerback!

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Probably a BPA of either OLB, ILB or TE.

Hockenson at 20��
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Hockenson at 20��

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

The Browns are much better at the skill position and their pass rush has improved. Saying that, the defense can still be hashed in the secondary and I do not see the run defense improved. Teams win football games not individuals. Let’s see when the cap hits for all these new toys and money needs to get paid. What happens when your not picking in the top ten in the draft every year. Rumor is Odell already wants his contract reworked.they probably are the team to beat, but I’m not worried

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    All while they should be following the Eagles, Rams, and Browns blueprint of throwing cash around while their QB is cheap.
    Word is that they are going to give Tyreek Hill a record-setting contract.

Whatever their rationale, I’m just glad that we got a quality CB.

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

After so much cynicism and disgust I applaud the addition of a young CB . Two critical positions left to fill. interior linebacker and W R. I would like add one more capable free agent and achieve an A rated draft. Right now IMO the arrow remains pointed down but that could change in the next two months. Go for smart hard workers. I am disgusted with the divas & narcissists. There are many excellent role model players on this team. The old saying "you are only as strong as your weakest link seemed true on this team.". My concern remains that the coach is the weakest link. I just hope he is not extended. If so then Rooney becomes the weakest link.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I'm excited to have the guy but the high passer rating makes you wonder if the other big stats are just a sign that everyone was tossing the ball against KC last year. 4 licks is good, but it doesn't mean much if you are thrown at 2 times more than any other defense. Idk stats can lie

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I don't think so. They made good progress last year.
    And then changed their whole coaching staff. I agree they are making good moves but we still don't know how good a HC third old RB coach can be

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    we had Nelson in for an official visit in 2015, but decided to select Senquez Golson and Doran Grant instead that year.
    We all know Steelers scouts can not I repeat can not evaluate DBs. That section of the staff should be fired

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Glad we filled this need in FA, now if we can get Bush in the draft then a tall WR in the draft I will be happy with our off season. I would like another WR in FA (Tate) though.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Good to see the Steelers have been able to fill the vacancy for the "it's all about the money" and surly interview position now that Bell and AB are gone

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Lots of mixed reports. Is Nelson any good or not??

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    good enough to instantly start. Which should mean they don't have to try and draft another CB in the first round. We all know how thats turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    good enough to instantly start. Which should mean they don't have to try and draft another CB in the first round. We all know how thats turned out.
    Given the competition that's not saying much.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Who knows - not Richard Sherman in his prime but none of those type talents are going to be on the market

Good enough that nobody will criticize Colbert & Tomlin for reaching for a ILB and/or WR in the early rounds of the draft even if a CB who has graded out significantly higher is available.

Now that WR is another need, they had to move on one of those three problem positions outside of the draft and the WR & ILB options in free agency at a rational price point (what the Jets paid Mosley and Bills paid John Brown is insane) were pretty grim

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It all depends on which Steve Nelson shows up in Pittsburgh. He has improved each of his years in the league and has changed positions/roles in KC's secondary almost every season. He started out in the slot. Then he went outside and played boundary CB that got thrown at all the time as everyone avoided Marcus Peters. Then Peters left and he played #1 CB that got thrown at a ton because everyone was playing from behind against Mahomes.

In each season, Nelson has improved his overall play. He has also stepped up his game and increased his INTs and decreased his completion percentage as he has moved outside. In other words, Nelson is better when he can use the sideline to help defend. In each season, he has been victimized for big plays. So...what is Nelson? I think he was, for me, the best CB FA behind Ronald Darby. He is young, has improved his play every year, is at worst a reliable #2 CB in the NFL that has an ability to get his hands on the football. He might even be more than that. I suspect he will never be regarded as a "lockdown" cover half the field guy. But, who is?

Bottom line, IMO, the Steelers got a bargain (Nelson may have been able to get 10+ a year from someone) and have vastly improved their CB position over Sensabaugh, Burns, and whoever. Haden/Nelson/Hilton is a good but not great starting 3. If Sutton can provide anything, you actually might have not hold your breath everytime Haden falls down...

Great write up from Alex K @ Steelers Depot on the good and the bad with Nelson:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/fi...plays-allowed/

"Realistically, Nelson is not a #1, shutdown corner. He’s not “the guy.” And I know that sorta sucks because of how much he’s getting paid but that’s just how the market works. I see it less of an overpay and more the cost of doing business.

I like Bradley Roby a lot. He was my #1 guy and evidently, the team’s too. Nelson is similar in some ways, his feast/famine tape, but isn’t as fast or twitchy as Roby is. It’s a good signing and is step one in fixing one of this defense’s largest problems, the ability to create splash and turnovers. And I’m certainly thrilled about that and the fact the team finally made an aggressive move. They couldn’t have gone through the offseason without one and expected to plug all the holes they have."

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I like nelson ...

he is not Revis or Woodson or Champ Bailey but he is a solid corner / above average

lets put it this way he will be making around the same money as Dupree and if I was the guy in charge I would rather pay TWO Nelsons than 1 Dupree
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I’m so happy this got done. I don’t care if it cost $50M. Needed to get done.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers and free agent CB Steven Nelson agreed to terms on a 3-year deal

So Nelson sounds a lot like Haden? Not a Top-Tier #1 but a Mid-Tier #1 or Top-Tier #2?

Still need to get CB help. Team needs 4 solid CBs to survive...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So Nelson sounds a lot like Haden? Not a Top-Tier #1 but a Mid-Tier #1 or Top-Tier #2?

I think he's more a solid #2 CB, but I can live with that.

The only thing I'm concerned with, is he's a bit of a one year wonder. He had a good season last year, but the previous 3 years? Goose eggs as far as INT's go. But a couple seasons ago he did break up a lot of passes, so perhaps last season wasn't entirely luck.

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...ack-in-the-nfl
    This shows Steven Nelson is a REALLY Good corner.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So if Nelson was that good (playing devils advocate), why would the Chiefs let him go?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

So if Nelson was that good (playing devils advocate), why would the Chiefs let him go?
    Not sure, but there's a good number of KC fans that seemed happy to see him go. My brother is a diehard KC fan since 1990 and he didn't text me anything about the signing which means he doesn't care.

Hopefully it's just their fans being overly critical like how a lot of us were with William Gay

That's a good question. The Chiefs by most accounts have cap space. They also have one of the best QBs currently on rookie deals. So...the logical play is to spend ALL the money everywhere else on the roster. Instead, the seem to be shedding salary.

They got out of the Dee Ford and Justin Houston business. They are rumored to be considering getting out from Berry's contract. And they signed Matthieu. Tyreek Hill likely gets a record extension, but I have no idea why they seem to be holding onto cap space.

In other words, their move so far make no sense to me and I am not sure that the Chiefs failing to resign someone at this point is a barometer of anything good or bad.

I still have hope for Sutton. None for Burns.