Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Charlie Batch sucks" what?

Re: "Charlie Batch sucks" what?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I love it when a guy has a good game and all of a sudden ........he didnt belong on the bench for the past 3 years.

12/17 for 186 yds, 3TD and 2 INT's vs the Bucs. Start fitting him for a yellow blazer and put him in Canton already.

Appreciate the dose of reality Gonzo.

Batch was opportunistic...and moved the ball when he needed to. He did exactly what we needed for him to do as a backup QB and I take my hat off to him for his effort. We can appreciate his efforts and still keep them in the right perspective.

Batch ignited the offense this week...but lets not confuse the spark with the fire.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

I admit though,batch does look like a coach forth coming.LOL
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    Think htg would agree to that on her birthday? With a record of 5-1 as a starter,i don't see how he aquired a name like that anyhow.
    It was my b-day yesterday.

3-0 is what counts

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Haven't had the chance to read the thread yet, but this is something I posted on another forum a few days ago:

How ya like me (and Batch) now??

Nice call Wallace!
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Am I missing something here? I don't recall hearing anyone saying Chuck should be in the HOF or even the 2nd team QB. Amazing folks can't be happy for the old guy and the team ..

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    And I wanted him cut....

so who leaves when ben comes back? Dixon IR? or leftwich?
    dixon IR, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they cut him when he's healthy. any way you cut it dixon's probably played his last down with the Steelers.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

I was not a batch supporter but i will gladly eat crow

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Am I missing something here? I don't recall hearing anyone saying Chuck should be in the HOF or even the 2nd team QB. Amazing folks can't be happy for the old guy and the team ..
    Thats what I'm saying...give Charlie his love...he deserves it today.

Anyone downplaying what he did..OR...trying to make it more than it is...need to to watch this game again. He is a backup QB who sparked a win for the Steelers when it was needed. Kudos to Batch!!! But all emotion aside...this is one SERIOUSLY talented team...and I cant wait to see what Ben does with it when he gets back!!!

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    I have always given the credit he deserves. The Steelers kept this guy on the team for a reason and this game proved every reason why. He knows this offense and team and knows how to lead us to a W! Great job Batch on shutting the people up who ever doubted you!
    OK - THIS GAME, I will eat my crowburger and like it. I haven't watched the game as of yet and will reserve my critique until then, but from what I hear, he played well. While I still don't have enough confidence in him to start every game, if, God forbid, Ben goes down, he did what he had to do to get the win and tonight I give him mad props.

As for "Leftoverwich", he didn't get the chance to show us his stuff in a regular season game this season, so it is unfair to toss darts at him imho. When he was a Steeler several years ago, he played admirably in his backup role.

BUT - the fact remains that our opponent was the Bucs. I will annoint Charlie the second coming of Joe Montana after he faces and wins against the Rats D.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    OK - THIS GAME, I will eat my crowburger and like it. I haven't watched the game as of yet and will reserve my critique until then, but from what I hear, he played well. While I still don't have enough confidence in him to start every game, if, God forbid, Ben goes down, he did what he had to do to get the win and tonight I give him mad props.

As for "Leftoverwich", he didn't get the chance to show us his stuff in a regular season game this season, so it is unfair to toss darts at him imho. When he was a Steeler several years ago, he played admirably in his backup role.

BUT - the fact remains that our opponent was the Bucs. I will annoint Charlie the second coming of Joe Montana after he faces and wins against the Rats D.
    Exactly...

and I did watch the game. Batch had a TD that for all intents and purposes was a pick. It simply BOUNCED off the hands of the DB and into the hands of the receiver. He had another TD pass that was caught because of a very bad defensive mistake. He threw a pick driving for another TD to shut down the game... and it allowed TB to actually put a TD on the board.

If Batch was a starter, he would get a C- for the game, MAYBE. However, coming in after playing so little over so many years, shaking off the INT and controlling the offense the way he did, I'll give him a C+, maybe even a B-. One thing he reminded all of us... he has a rocket of an arm. I still remember the pass into the flat... the ball was just a blur... wow.

Batch vs. Dixon... I'd take Batch.

Leftwich and Batch, I'd still take Leftwich term. Next week however, I'd stay with Batch for 2 reasons. 1. Let Leftwich's leg heal. 2. Ride the wave. There is only one more game before Ben comes back. Don't introduce anymore changes.
    ---------------

When Ben comes back- We have to keep in mind age.

Leftwich as backup. Dixon as 3rd string. Let Batch go, and resign him as a coach.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    Think htg would agree to that on her birthday? With a record of 5-1 as a starter,i don't see how he aquired a name like that anyhow.
    The only thing I WILL agree with is that Charlie came in and did what he needed to do to help the team win this game and as I said - I give him mad kudos. Beyond that, I can only say that I have never been overly impressed with him as a QB either with the Lions or the Steelers. He's had a good game here and there but has never been consistently reliable. He's a great mentor, teammate and person and I feel he would make a kick ass coach and/or a terrific color commentator as he is very intelligent and well spoken. If you take a look at his career stats and game logs, you'll get what I'm saying.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    He still looked a damn sight better than Dixon. Nice to see some offensive TDs for a change instead of FGs all day again.
    Yes, he threw TD passes today.

I liked Charlie Batch back when he was in Detroit and getting replaced by Mike McMahon and I still keep in mind that he is nothing more than an experienced journeyman QB, who is a year away from retirement. So he had a good game. I think if we start him 4 times, he goes 2-2.

Thanks Charlie for the solid performance. Lets hope he can get a couple TD's next week and our defense can add some more points again to help go 4-0 into the bye.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

let it be known i voted for Batch for week 1 starter

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...ults&pollid=27

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Hey!! I am jumping on the bandwagon also.. Yahoo.. Go CB..

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I truly hope that Charlie throws for 6 TDs by halftime next week, but I wouldn't expect this kind of game out of Charlie again any time soon. I don't dislike him, but would still be uncomfortable with him as a long term replacement.

AML

Senior Member Array title="atlsteelers is an unknown quantity at this point">

During the 4th quarter chants of charlie, charlie were extremely loud @ the stadium

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

I was driving the Charlie bandwagon to church last Sunday!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Batch tries to make his dream last one more week. A month ago, Charlie Batch was the Steelers' fourth quarterback. He faced an uncertain future, even with Roethlisberger suspended for the first four weeks, because the Steelers might have chosen to start the season with only Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon as quarterbacks, leaving him on the street. One of the most philanthropic players in the league, Batch runs a summer basketball league for the kids in the hardscrabble, gang-ridden area of town where he grew up, trying to keep kids from meeting the same fate his sister met in 1997 -- when she was murdered as an innocent bystander in the crossfire between rival gangs.

All Batch wanted, really, was one chance to shine for the team he grew up worshiping. Sunday in Tampa, he got it. Taking advantage of an injury to Leftwich to stick on the opening day roster, and then an injury to Dixon last week to become the starter, Batch used the entire playbook instead of the slimmed-down game plan Dixon had been using. He threw deep to Mike Wallace twice, connecting on 46- and 41-yard touchdowns --once beating the son of former Steeler assistant Russ Grimm, rookie safety Cody Grimm -- among his three scoring passes.

"Honestly, I didn't think I'd ever get a chance for another start here,'' Batch told me from Tampa. "But what was great today was we had everything in the game plan, and we were going to take our shots downfield early. We were just trying to open it up, because we weren't playing us, honestly. And before the game, Mike [Wallace] said to me, 'Give me an opportunity, Chuck. Throw it up there for me.' We decided that if 35 [Grimm] ever turned his back to me, I was putting it up there.''

That's exactly what happened on one of the TD bombs to Wallace. Batch put it up for Wallace, and Grimm lost the ball, and Wallace won it in the end zone. Just like the Steelers drew it up.

"Game ball goes to Chuck,'' said coach Mike Tomlin after the game, tossing him the ball.

Sweetest words he's heard in years. Now he'll have to stare down the barrel of Ray Lewis, and the 3-0 Steelers will have to beat Baltimore to come out of their Ben-less period undefeated.

Not to keep you hanging, but in tomorrow's column I'll update you on what Roethlisberger's been doing while suspended

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz10klI8HO9

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I am totally thrilled that Charlie got this one last chance to shine. He's a Pittsburgh guy to the core and I have been really bothered by the thought of him just being cut and put out to pasture. You're a good man....Charlie Batch.

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    You're a good man....Charlie Batch.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I just want to thank the forum for NO ONE saying that Aqib Talib was "Charlie's Byatch"
    I did drop B-I-A-T-C-H on the first page ... do I get half-credit?

EDIT: Nope, strike that. It was a different thread. I'm all confused.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I say give Wallace half a credit.

If Talib doesnt have hands like Ike Taylor, then Chuck was gonna be his BIATCH. Sports is so cool how a guy can go from Zero to Hero so fast.........Kind of reminds me how Tommy Maddox was the toast of the town, then the goat of the team.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Don't remind me. We almost missed the playoffs in 2005 because of Maddox. Batch held up yesterday. We need him to play mistake free on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I say give Wallace half a credit.

If Talib doesnt have hands like Ike Taylor, then Chuck was gonna be his BIATCH. Sports is so cool how a guy can go from Zero to Hero so fast.........Kind of reminds me how Tommy Maddox was the toast of the town, then the goat of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Don't remind me. We almost missed the playoffs in 2005 because of Maddox.
    And without Maddox, the Steelers would not have made the playoffs in 2002 nor would they have gotten as far as they did in those playoffs. Had it not been for Joe Nedney's academy award winning performance, Maddox would have led the team into the AFCC that season. I wish people would give Maddox his due.

Sunday's game against an above-average D will be a real eye-opener as to Batch's reliability and worth. If the OL protects him on pass plays (especially from Stabbit Ray who will be gunnin' for him) and he doesn't make costly errors, I think we have a really good shot to stick it to the Rats.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    And without Maddox, the Steelers would not have made the playoffs in 2002 nor would they have gotten as far as they did in those playoffs. Had it not been for Joe Nedney's academy award winning performance, Maddox would have led the team into the AFCC that season. I wish people would give Maddox his due.
    excellent post. i agree.

maddox also ended the absurd kordell experiment
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Batch has started only three games in five seasons — and Sunday's start was his first since 2007 — yet has a combined eight touchdown passes in those starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    excellent post. i agree.

maddox also ended the absurd kordell experiment
    And for that I'm enternally gratefull.