View Poll Results: Under/Over how long after retirement until AB is broke.

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 years

4 26.67%
  • 5 years

8 53.33%
  • 10 years

0 0%
  • Never, he's a secret financial genius!

3 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under/Over how long after retirement until AB is broke.

Member Array title="Devil's D will become famous soon enough">

Re: Under/Over how long after retirement until AB is broke.

Even if the Raiders don’t move, and he pays California income taxes all three years, he will still be getting about 15 million more than if he remained a Steelers. I would gladly get high on PCP and roll around in shit all day for 15 million!

But, even if AB somehow loses money on the deal…is broke, and in an institution for the criminally insane before training camp…….no matter what happens in the future…..the Steelers got played! He punked the Steelers into giving away the best WR in the NFL for a 3rd & a 5th.

No amount of Schadenfreude is going to compensate for The Steelers offense (the only facet of the team that still justified them as contenders) taking a HUGE step backwards. The window on Ben winning another SB closes even more (shut at this point…in my opinion). The loss to the Raiders killed our chances last year, but they did far more lasting damage with the AB trade.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's D View Post
    Even if the Raiders don’t move, and he pays California income taxes all three years, he will still be getting about 15 million more than if he remained a Steelers.
    Steelers' contract would have paid $38.9M over the next 3 years; Raiders' deal is for $50.1M over 3 years, so that's $11.2M difference. He'll be paying $6.7 million to the Communist Party in his new home (13.3 percent!), so overall it's a $4.5 million increase over three years. Call it $750K a year in take-home after all taxes and fees are added in.

I would gladly get high on PCP and roll around in shit all day for 15 million!
    So would I, but most likely people would just tell me, "Get out of here, you're covered in shit!"

The point is that one had nothing to do with the other. He may have stumbled into more money, but certainly not because he is a master tactician who figured it all out.

But, even if AB somehow loses money on the deal…is broke, and in an institution for the criminally insane before training camp…….no matter what happens in the future…..the Steelers got played! He punked the Steelers into giving away the best WR in the NFL for a 3rd & a 5th.
    This is true. We got absolutely shit on, no two ways about it. The sad part is that we LET him punk us - we did it to ourselves! I will never understand what we could have possibly been thinking, except that it reeks of incompetence and spineless leadership.

While I will not pretend to know what went on behind closed doors to lead us to this decision ... given the circumstances, at any point in the process, the owner easily could have stepped in and said, "This is bullshit, we are not playing this game - THE END, I am hanging up the phone. See you in September."

That it did not go that way suggests one of two things: That our ownership/front office is HOPELESSLY incompetent to a degree that portends a stunning franchise decline ... or the real reason is that Brown has actually lost his mind - gone completely cuckoo-for-Cocoa-Puffs - and there was no way out, we are just taking the high road by not saying it publicly. For the sake of the team, I hope it's the second one.

No amount of Schadenfreude is going to compensate for The Steelers offense (the only facet of the team that still justified them as contenders) taking a HUGE step backwards. The window on Ben winning another SB closes even more (shut at this point…in my opinion). The loss to the Raiders killed our chances last year, but they did far more lasting damage with the AB trade.
    You got that right. While I do think it's fine to hope nothing good happens to Brown - fuck that guy - there is no getting around the fact that we have taken two huge body blows in consecutive years (three if you count Bryant), and that can only go on for so long before it's too much to recover from. Probably is too much, at this point.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'm afraid AB will be broke before he even gets the chance to retire. He'll probably end up owing millions. He's one of those people who wins the lottery and winds up ruined.

I say "afraid" because I honestly bear no ill will towards the dude. I'm sure that makes me a minority on this forum.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland