Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Former Steelers RB Accuses Roethlisberger Of Fumbling On Purpose In 2014 Game

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Former Steelers RB Accuses Roethlisberger Of Fumbling On Purpose In 2014 Game

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Guy just wanted his 15 minutes of fame
    That’s the feeling I got.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Former Steelers RB Accuses Roethlisberger Of Fumbling On Purpose In 2014 Game

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...erious-fumble/

Another former Steeler Bruce Gradkowski is defending Ben (of course no one will pay attention to Gradkowski). Mike Pouncey, (not Maurkice) meanwhile is clowning Harris, LOL

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    How long have you been sitting on that video waiting for just the right time to post it?
    I have a repertoire of clips from Airplane!, Top Secret, and The Naked Gun.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Apparently J. Harris blamed his college coaches for him not getting drafted, claiming they told pro scouts he was a malcontent and a bad influence in the locker room. Whether they did or didn't it seems the critique was most likely right.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

debate over ................... checkmate Josh Harris

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Apparently J. Harris blamed his college coaches for him not getting drafted, claiming they told pro scouts he was a malcontent and a bad influence in the locker room. Whether they did or didn't it seems the critique was most likely right.
    I’d be willing to bet that he did have those issues, the coaches didn’t tell pro scouts anything like that but that Harris tatted himself out like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I actually think it would be hilarious and the passive aggressive move of the year if he did do what Harris is claiming.

I've always suspected guys occasionally do or don't execute certain assignments to their full abilities to prove a point - whatever it may be.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I actually think it would be hilarious and the passive aggressive move of the year if he did do what Harris is claiming.

I've always suspected guys occasionally do or don't execute certain assignments to their full abilities to prove a point - whatever it may be.
    I agree, I think it is hilarious. No secret that Ben didn't like Haley and its not like he wouldn't do that to prove a point.

Come on, are we really to believe that a veteran HOF QB forgot to reverse pivot on a lead handoff to the tailback? I guess he is known to not get in that playbook as much as others, so could have easily forgot how to execute a highschool run play with the game at hand. To me the best part of that video is the flop. Its awkward, clumsy looking, but a soft enough landing and well positioned so he can see what is going on.

My feeling is, who cares!!!?? We’re talking about one play, that happened four seasons ago, in a game that was all but over. If it was so upsetting for Harris, why didn’t he say something when he was released by the team? Did he feel like he should jump on the bash Ben wagon with AB and Bell? I’m a little embarrassed for the talking heads who thought this was newsworthy. Even if it’s true, I’m pretty sure it’s not the first time a QB, or player has made a statement by intentionally blowing a play. Hell, O’Donnell could have thrown those interceptions because he hated Cowher.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree, I think it is hilarious. No secret that Ben didn't like Haley and its not like he wouldn't do that to prove a point.

Come on, are we really to believe that a veteran HOF QB forgot to reverse pivot on a lead handoff to the tailback? I guess he is known to not get in that playbook as much as others, so could have easily forgot how to execute a highschool run play with the game at hand. To me the best part of that video is the flop. Its awkward, clumsy looking, but a soft enough landing and well positioned so he can see what is going on.

In all your years of football, you've never seen a quarterback turn the wrong way on a running play or screw up a handoff?

Come on Gonzo....

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    In all your years of football, you've never seen a quarterback turn the wrong way on a running play or screw up a handoff?

Come on Gonzo....
    Yeah, totally agree. Even elite pros make mistakes. I've even seen the great Jimi Hendrix fuck up.

- - - Updated - - -

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Jussie Smollett has video proof that supports this claim...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Jussie Smollett has video proof that supports this claim...
    If you look real close you can see AB wearing a MAGA hat on the sideline.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Come on Gonzo....
    Sure I have seen a QB turn the wrong way on a run play...12 year olds do it frequently when they learn the game. I can think of a sophomore QB in highschool doing it. Heck, we all saw Dan Orlovsky run out the back of the end zone and still think the play was alive when he was a rookie with the Detroit Lions.

But an experienced QB that has been in 3 Super Bowls and has taken thousands of snaps over his career? On a play that there was no pre snap reads to be had or any kind of distraction, because it was a handoff to kill the clock in the final seconds of a victory? Do you really think Ben is that dumb or absent minded that he forgot how to reverse pivot on a handoff, after being in the NFL for 10 seasons??

The history of the NFL is full of cases where a QB didn't like the OC call and then called an audible. The possibility that Ben didn't like the run play and instead thought a knee should be taken isn't a far fetched thought. I think it was a passive aggressive way to show Haley what could go wrong, rather than taking a knee and I find it amusing. What is more amusing is all the posters with their #7 jerseys on that look at that play and don't see that it looks like something a Highschool freshman QB would play like and not a 2-time Super Bowl winning QB.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Yeah, totally agree. Even elite pros make mistakes. I've even seen the great Jimi Hendrix fuck up.

- - - Updated - - -

Alex Kozara watched that entire game again. He said the Steelers ran from the 2 back set 5 times that game. Every other time the backs were split. So it seems way more likely that Ben's focus was probably to blame rather than an intentional act to sabatoge the team.

The amusing thing here is that fandom prevails over logic. Nobody on this thread can seem to admit that QB's at times disagree with their OC and that is quite possibly this was something that was the result of Ben-Haley relationship. It is being blown out of proportion, because the tweet was an attack on the character of Steeler fans favorite player.

If you look at it objectively, it looks like a 10 NFL veteran, Hall of Fame QB making a mistake of a highschool freshman and flopping on the ground in a safe position where he can see the outcome. No game lost, no harm by the fumbled play, but maybe the seed was planted in the mind of the OC that next time....just get in Victory formation.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The bigger-balls thing to do would have been to overrule Haley and just take a knee anyway.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The bigger-balls thing to do would have been to overrule Haley and just take a knee anyway.
    So you presume guilt? Not one player in that huddle or on that sideline corroborates the theory put forth by a known malcontent, and you're all in? Damn...

Sure I have seen a QB turn the wrong way on a run play...12 year olds do it frequently when they learn the game. I can think of a sophomore QB in highschool doing it. Heck, we all saw Dan Orlovsky run out the back of the end zone and still think the play was alive when he was a rookie with the Detroit Lions.

But an experienced QB that has been in 3 Super Bowls and has taken thousands of snaps over his career? On a play that there was no pre snap reads to be had or any kind of distraction, because it was a handoff to kill the clock in the final seconds of a victory? Do you really think Ben is that dumb or absent minded that he forgot how to reverse pivot on a handoff, after being in the NFL for 10 seasons??

The history of the NFL is full of cases where a QB didn't like the OC call and then called an audible. The possibility that Ben didn't like the run play and instead thought a knee should be taken isn't a far fetched thought. I think it was a passive aggressive way to show Haley what could go wrong, rather than taking a knee and I find it amusing. What is more amusing is all the posters with their #7 jerseys on that look at that play and don't see that it looks like something a Highschool freshman QB would play like and not a 2-time Super Bowl winning QB.
    If Ben was that much against the play call I would imagine he would have just gone ahead and taken the knee anyway. Doesn't even have to change the play. Just take a knee. I can't see him putting the defense back on the field in that situation even though the game was pretty secure. As Grobowski has said and others, Ben is a fierce competitor. To think he would deliberately sabatoge the team is a joke. Yeah we get it you dislike him. But to believe this sort of accusation based on such flimsy evidence is pretty sad. Maybe there's a team in Oakland you'd be more comfortable cheering for?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I know that Ben can be an asshat at times, and I also know that every QB hates play calls from time to time. But that doesn't mean that he fumbled intentionally.

I just find it odd that everybody wants to bang on Ben and is doing so on the credibility of a guy that had a cup of coffee in the NFL and almost no playing time with the team. Where was this claim when it was relevant? He did this to support his buddy AB and when people are crushing Ben. I think anybody loses credibility when they come out of the woodwork years after an event with public claims against a former teammate. He just tweeted that claim from out of the blue. He wasn't asked a question. It just came from nowhere at a moment when he was trying to pile on in support of another player. I don't buy it.

I'm sure Ben hated a lot of Haley's play calls, but I just don't see what you are seeing.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

The amusing thing here is that fandom prevails over logic. Nobody on this thread can seem to admit that QB's at times disagree with their OC and that is quite possibly this was something that was the result of Ben-Haley relationship. It is being blown out of proportion, because the tweet was an attack on the character of Steeler fans favorite player.

If you look at it objectively, it looks like a 10 NFL veteran, Hall of Fame QB making a mistake of a highschool freshman and flopping on the ground in a safe position where he can see the outcome. No game lost, no harm by the fumbled play, but maybe the seed was planted in the mind of the OC that next time....just get in Victory formation.
    You don’t think it’s possible that Ben’s frustration at the call put him in a screwed up mindset and contributed to him making a mistake?

I don’t see any logic in fumbling on purpose. You don’t have to be a Ben cheerleader to acknowledge that even if Ben is a total A-hole and diva, he is NOT an A-hole in this particular way. He is an A-hole in the competitive, hates to lose way.

And what is the logic behind making what looks like a bone headed mistake on purpose? How does that make the OC look bad? It gives the OC the best defense of all: Ben screwed up the easiest play in the world. It wasn’t a bad play call, it was bad execution.

I can buy that subconsciously Ben was in pissed off diva mode that can lead to brain fart like this. I can also see him flopping right after making the brain fart because people do that sometimes when they embarrass themselves.

But you think is logical that Ben made himself look like an idiot, risked injury to his teammates by a loose ball play, risked more injury by potentially putting the defense on the field, risked actually losing a game... for what gain exactly?

To show the OC that he’s too incompetent to be trusted to run that play?

Unless Ben was willing to admit that he did it on purpose, and I suppose claim that he’d do it again if the OC ran a play he disagreed with, then doing it on purpose gains him nothing. No leverage. No black mark against the OC.

It is literally a high risk, NO reward move. It has no upside. It makes no sense.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t get why you’d think Ben would believe fumbling so ineptly in this situation makes the OC looks bad. You think Ben went to the HC and said “See? You can’t call that play in that situation because I’m obviously too retarded to be relied on to run it correctly. So fire Haley.”

But I’m absolutely not going to accuse you of being a “bad fan” or a Ben hater. I think that accusation makes no sense as well. I really don’t like when fans question the fandom of those who simply disagree with them. You wouldn’t be on here stating your opinion if you weren’t as much of a die hard fan as the rest of us.

I wish we could just have these debates without jumping to silly conclusions about each other’s fandom.

I know that Ben can be an asshat at times, and I also know that every QB hates play calls from time to time. But that doesn't mean that he fumbled intentionally.

I just find it odd that everybody wants to bang on Ben and is doing so on the credibility of a guy that had a cup of coffee in the NFL and almost no playing time with the team. Where was this claim when it was relevant? He did this to support his buddy AB and when people are crushing Ben. I think anybody loses credibility when they come out of the woodwork years after an event with public claims against a former teammate. He just tweeted that claim from out of the blue. He wasn't asked a question. It just came from nowhere at a moment when he was trying to pile on in support of another player. I don't buy it.

I'm sure Ben hated a lot of Haley's play calls, but I just don't see what you are seeing.
    I just see a 10 year NFL veteran QB with 2 Super Bowl rings and over 100 victories....make a mistake like a 16 year old rookie QB and forget to reverse pivot on a simple lead handoff running play.

I really don't care what the circumstance, or who thought what, or who made the play call, or what was posted on twitter...because it really has no bearing on my daily life. I have no stake in whether Ben intended to do this or not. I am just stating that objectively its very odd and very rare that an experienced player make such an elementary mistake. I think the percentages that somebody of Ben's experience and skill level made such a blatant error and forgot to reverse pivot to handoff and just stepped play side is about 0.1%.

If people on this board want to argue that Veteran QB like Ben makes the correct reverse pivot on a handoff 99.9% of the time, but this 0.01% rare mistake just happened to be the one at the end of a game, where he didn't agree with the call. Don't stop believing.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

ANYTHING can happen when human beings are involved.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

This.

I agree, but, again who cares? Why are people listening to Josh Harris? Four years ago, on one play. I guess a defender could have picked up the ball and run it back for a TD, kicked onside, recovered and tied the game. I’m just sick of the Steelers/Ben bashing now that we are officially done with AB and Bell. I don’t know about you folks, but I would really love for the Steelers to be out of the news cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I agree, but, again who cares? Why are people listening to Josh Harris? Four years ago, on one play. I guess a defender could have picked up the ball and run it back for a TD, kicked onside, recovered and tied the game. I’m just sick of the Steelers/Ben bashing now that we are officially done with AB and Bell. I don’t know about you folks, but I would really love for the Steelers to be out of the news cycle.
    Why does Josh Harris opinion/statement not deserve listening to? Is it due to his draft status and NFL stats that decides he should not be able to speak as a human being? Who is doing the Steeler/Ben bashing that you are tired of....the media? I see the media reporting on issues surrounding why the best WR in the NFL was traded out of PIT and a top 3 RB chose not to play and left the Steelers. Those are legit sports news stories, positive or not to Steeler fans.

As for being out of the news cycle, yes it will happen in a week or 2. Kevin Colbert needed to either learn some media savvy or keep his mouth shut about the 52 kids on the team, as that just opened him up to relevance with Manny Sanders recent comments. You are correct, in that the play happened in the past and the Steelers won the game despite the fumble, whether intentional or not.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Maybe never know the whole truth on that one play. But we already know what smart football vs dumb football looks like. I can’t see any player fumbling on purpose in that situation, but let’s say Ben did. First it would be dumb football because his OL doesn’t know and that increases the chance for injury with players on the ground going after a fumble right behind them. Big guys fall hard. Second it’s a dumb football play call. Running out the clock there is the one and only goal in this situation. This doesn’t make these guys dumb at football but for one play it sure looks like it.