Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranking positional needs 2019

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Ranking positional needs 2019

NFL free agency is a little over a week away so it is time once again to rank the positional needs from most pressing to least pressing. Usually there are 3 pressing needs on the team, this year I thought up 4.

1. Cornerback: The position conists of Joe Haden who is hitting 30 and has missed some time, Mike Hilton who is a solid slot corner but too small to be a boundary corner, and players ranging from backups at best (and that may be generous) to guys who shouldn't be on active rosters. The need remains after the Artie Burns experiment crashed and burned (get it?)

2. Inside Linebacker: This was a pressing need last year, but all they did was sign backup journeyman Jon Bostic and sign athletic Matthew Thomas as an UDFA before letting him go to the Ratbirds late in the year. Predictably the defense suffered from it. Bostic is a back-up level player who can't player, Vince Williams is solid against the run but not against the pass and he should not be your team's best ILB. The loss of Shazier was devastating and he will likely not be replaced fully but they at least need to upgrade to at least solid

3. Outside Linebacker: This was another need from last year that wasn't sufficiently addressed. TJ Watt had a nice year overall and made a splash in some games but outside of him there isn't a starting caliber OLB on the roster. Contrary to what the FO and some fans will try and argue Bud Dupree is a mediocre at best player who only occasionally does something and he has woefully underperformed his first round billing, and the depth is non-existent. At the very least they need another starting caliber edge rusher and some backups to effectively spell the starters and keep them fresh

4. Wide Receiver: AB, or Mr. Big Mouth, or wannabe Hulk Hogan or whatever he wants to call himself now is gone. If they don't trade him, all indication is he will pull a Carson Palmer and sit out until he is traded. Without Mr. Big Ego they will need another starting WR behind Juju as the rest of the WRs did not step up much last year

5. Safety: There are definitely bodies on the roster but question marks remain. Morgan Burnett (supposedly the top free agent safety last year) was utterly useless and now wants to be released for being utterly useless. Sean Davis is athlete who hasn't panned out as an NFL draft pick. The most promising at this point is Terrell Edmunds who looks like he could develop into a solid player if the Steelers ever decide to get solid defensive coaching but talent is scarce here.

6. Tight end: There could be depth issues with Jesse James presumably wanting to leave the Pittsburgh circus and Vance McDonald remains an injury concern, however I don't think they are as bad a shape here as they are in the places above

7. Offensive Line: Depth is an issue, Ramon Foster is likely gone, and now this unit looks like it will regress after Munchak decided the shitshow in Denver was more palatable than staying in Pittsburgh. The bright side is annual pro bowlers DeCastro and Pouncey

8. Running back: I don't think RB is much of an issue though they may regress if the O-line regresses. I think the biggest issue is getting someone better than Ridley as the no. 3 back. Connor proved how expendable Bell was and was dynamite when Fichtner actually ran the ball. Even Jaylen Samuel as a 6th round rookie had a 100 yard game in relief of Connor. I don't think this is worth spending significant resources on

9. Quarterback: Ben is still here and they have drafted a couple young guys to serve as backup/understudy. They drafted Rudolph who appears to have the right attitude, just needs better coaching

10. Defensive Line: The strongest position right now. Cam, Tuitt, Hargrave when he plays, Alualu as a nice back-up. Biggest issue is finding someone better than McCullers which doesn't make much if anything

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Re: Ranking positional needs 2019

I would swap O Line and D line.

An updated look at positional needs headed to the draft
    1. OLB: Their only moves thus far have been grossly overpaying to keep Bud Dupree and Anthony Chickillo. They still need a viable starter and some depth here (and no despite what some instance, Bud Dupree is not a viable starter, and paying him $9.2 mil to make minimal impact is not the best option at OLB)

2. ILB: With the addition of Mark Barron combined with Bostic and VW, they have an amalgamation of a high impact starter. However, they don't have a high impact starter, as the loss of Ryan Shazier continues to hurt the team. Unfortunately in such an incredibly weak class, all the potential high impact starters are likely gone at pick 20

3. TE: I underestimated the need for a TE the initial go-round as I accounted for Jesse James' likely departure. Vance McDonald is the only viable TE and he is injury prone. After that it is Xavier Grimble, one of a handful of shitty players and coaches the Steelers are keeping.

4. S: Morgan Burnett is now a Brown (he was useless anyway). What remains at the position is 2nd round flop Sean Davis and the organization hoping someone on the coaching staff can develop Terrell Edmunds into a functional safety. Starter upgrade is needed

5. CB: Some will disagree and put it higher. While free agency is no sure thing, on paper Steven Nelson mitigates the need for a CB (albeit many mock drafts I have read act like the Steven Nelson signing never happened). Heading into '19 you got Haden, Nelson, and Hilton. Depth is an issue and Haden has age concerns but I don't see this as a pressing need others do. There isn't a CB worth taking at pick 20 anyway

6. WR: AB was officially traded.....for probably a project that never develops and a practice squad player. While WR is another popular position mocked they signed Donte Moncreif who looks like an able no. 2 behind Juju. Again depth is needed but I don't see this as an immediate need that is was before free agency.

7. OL: Gilbert was (somehow) traded for a 6th. While they have starters, they could use depth.

8. RB: For some reason, people act like this is some pressing need. It isn't. I've even seen someone mock RB to the 3rd round. Connor and Samuels behind an elite run-blocking OL is fine. At most they need a no. 3 RB, a guy who likely doesn't reach 20 carries on the season. A UDFA can do that job.

9. QB: They still have the starter and they still have youth at the backups.

10. DL: This position is fine, even with Fat McCullers re-signed for 2 more years for some reason

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

ILB
    OLB
    S
    WR
    CB
    TE
    DL

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. OLB
    4. WR
    5. TE
    6. Safety
    7. RB
    8. OL
    9. DL
    10. QB

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I am having a hard time on postions. But I do know what "roles" the roster is in need of:

1. Someone who causes turnovers.
    2. Someone else who causes turnovers.
    3. Someone that causes some more turnovers.
    4. Someone with an otherworldly ability to create plays in the most critical situations when the entire universe knows they are getting the ball.
    5. A TE who can block someone.
    6. Someone who can provide a passing allusion to actual coverage between the hashes and 6-15 yards down the field.

What that translates to in terms of draft picks....no idea.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I am having a hard time on postions. But I do know what "roles" the roster is in need of:

4. Someone with an otherworldly ability to create plays in the most critical situations when the entire universe knows they are getting the ball.
    6. Someone who can provide a passing allusion to actual coverage between the hashes and 6-15 yards down the field.

we need "defensive playmakers", where are the splash plays from our secondary?

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Our current splash plays barely make a ripple anymore...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

That would be [player A] and [player B]... I hope they are available when we pick. =)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Our current splash plays barely make a ripple anymore...

- - - Updated - - -

That would be [player A] and [player B]... I hope they are available when we pick. =)
    As long as it's not Player C. Clearly gonna be a bust!

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

CB
    OLB
    S
    ILB
    TE
    WR
    DL
    OL
    K
    RB
    QB

Did everyone forget the kicker? Snag a top kicker in the late rounds. Or is everyone confident that Boswell will return to his first year form?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

kickers rarely recover because they can't get over the mental hurdles necessary to do so. If Boswell starts shaky, I would not let that linger as they did last year. If his 3rd miss of an xtra or under 45 yard FG comes prior to 10 makes, he should hit the street.

munchy

ilb
    olb
    cb
    te
    wr
    s
    dt
    rb
    ol

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As mojoUW stated:

1. Someone on defense who can generate turnovers.
    2. Everything else.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    As mojoUW stated:

1. Someone on defense who can generate turnovers.

2. Everything else.
    7 interceptions - 20 pass breakups in just 87 career targets met with Steelers at combine and was in for a personal visit .... Byron Murphy
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Remember that if we don't do something with OLB, that 4-year, $48 million contract for Dupree won't be an April Fools' joke next time. Think about how mad THAT will make you.

While adding Nelson does give us two decent CBs in the short term, remember that Haden is in the last year of his contract, so that could be a problem too if not addressed.

I think the Barron signing may well be their plan for ILB, so we may let that one go until the middle-round depth picks.

Translation: This is setting up perfectly for another "incredible raw talent, needs coaching" pick at CB or OLB, the two positions where we have done SO well with that kind of player. The need is even there but not so immediate we need a polished player this year ... I mean, how much more can we justify it to ourselves. I can practically hear Tomlin and Colbert dry-humping their list of athletic players who are dumbfucks right this moment. Crinkle crinkle crinkle.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    7 interceptions - 20 pass breakups in just 87 career targets met with Steelers at combine and was in for a personal visit .... Byron Murphy
    There are many logical reasons why he could indeed be the pick:
    -two meetings
    -he creates turnovers
    -Joe Haden is turning 30

https://triblive.com/sports/draft-cb...-byron-murphy/

(As you know, my dark horse pick is Lonnie Johnson. The Steelers didn’t meet with him, but he’s really good.)

Another general individual they need is a defensive leader/alpha dog, someone the players can respond to

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Another general individual they need is a defensive leader/alpha dog, someone the players can respond to

As good as TJ Watt and Cameron Heyward are, they aren’t a$$holes. Every good defense needs an a$$hole. Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, Deebo...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

(As you know, my dark horse pick is Lonnie Johnson. The Steelers didn’t meet with him, but he’s really good.)
    WR/TE in R1 and LJ in R2. And the Alabama ILB in R3a.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Every good defense needs an a$$hole. Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, Deebo...
    one of my fave Steelers pics ever:

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Dwinsgames.. Who in your opinion is the better pick if they both are avaliable.. Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams? Only asking because I don't follow the draft as much as I should.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    WR/TE in R1 and LJ in R2. And the Alabama ILB in R3a.
    If the R1 TE is Hockenson, then 100%!!!

Hakeem Butler has has been my guy for months, but AJ Brown is like the perfect mixture of Hines Ward & JuJu. I could see the latter being picked at 20 (and heads immediately exploding).

Johnson “was” a R4 pick just a week ago, but he’s the hottest riser in this draft.

In R3, Mack Wilson is good value; I don’t think he warrants consideration at 20 (sorry, Born2Steel). An ILB who would be a very good pick in R3 would be David Long (WVU).

RE-CAP:
    R1: pass-catcher
    R2: CB
    R3: ILB

R1: Hockenson, Brown, or Butler
    R2: Lonnie Johnson
    R3: Long or Wilson

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

As good as TJ Watt and Cameron Heyward are, they aren’t a$$holes. Every good defense needs an a$$hole. Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, Deebo...
    Unfortunately, we put all the assholes on offense lately ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Hakeem Butler has has been my guy for months, but AJ Brown is like the perfect mixture of Hines Ward & JuJu. I could see the latter being picked at 20 (and heads immediately exploding).

Johnson “was” a R4 pick just a week ago, but he’s the hottest riser in this draft.

In R3, Mack Wilson is good value; I don’t think he warrants consideration at 20 (sorry, Born2Steel). An ILB who would be a very good pick in R3 would be David Long (WVU).

RE-CAP:

I can get on board with that -- with a couple of minor concerns.

Lonnie Johnson is like an Artie Burns 2.0. All the physical tools are there, but he is just unrefined. He misses tackles, and sometimes seem to have guys just run past him because...? I think he has a low overall understanding of his role in the defense. If Johnson plays to his tools -- wooo boy! If he plays to his worst instincts....woo boy! Makes me nervous!

Also, I have decided to drive the Germaine Pratt over David Long or Mack Wilson train. Pratt is a bigger body than Long or Wilson. He is a better tackler than Long. Wilson makes me nervous because he has the risk of being just another in a long line of 'Bama defenders that looks great but never really amounts to much. Everything I have read on Pratt can only find a variety of ways to say the same negative - doesn't diagnose as quick as he should and needs work fighting through traffic. Basically EXACTLY what you would expect of a safety still learning to play LB. Long story short, Pratt made more splash plays in college, tackled better, and is a bit bigger. Only held back by his inexperience and unrefined technique. Lower floor, but higher ceiling. Gotta go Germaine.

But first round -- totally agree. And the other two rounds, wouldn't be mad at all. Just got concerns and a draft crush to get over!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

RE-CAP:

In my (drive? eagerness? hunger?) QUEST to find an ILB in this draft class I guess I have lowered my standards on what I would accept at 20 at that position. Mack Wilson is most likely a round 3 talent that will be selected in round 2 and well before pick 52. I think Blake Cashman fits into that exact same box. Probably Germaine Pratt as well. My concern I guess is that when the run on safeties happens(Rd2 I think) it will also spur a run on 2nd tier ILBs/middle field defenders. I also see Tre Lamar as a poor man's Timmons, great size and speed, may go earlier than projected. I'm very ok with and actually hoping for these guys to be there in the 3rd round. That would be a very good thing. I am ok with, this draft only because need is so huge, reaching for the ILB position. It's not something I want or on my wishlist, I could understand if the Steelers did reach this year. AND if one of these guys is the answer at ILB, was it really a reach in the long run?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Dwinsgames.. Who in your opinion is the better pick if they both are avaliable.. Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams? Only asking because I don't follow the draft as much as I should.

IMO Murphy is the more ready player , for me the only knock on him is 5'11 , would like to see him 2 inches taller but he is as much of a shutdown corner as you will find in this draft ( Baker is close for me shutdown wise ) but the ball skills of Murphy is a deal breaker for me and we without question need some guys with ball skills in the secondary our turnover ratio is abysmal ...

as to whom will have the better pro career its truly anyone's guess ... Murphy /Baker / Greedy all have the potential to become outstanding corners but likely only 1 or 2 of them do and 1 will become a Justin Gilbert / Artie Burns type ( that is what normally happens )

IMO Murphy is the more ready player , for me the only knock on him is 5'11
    and his slow 40 time of 4.55 he ran at the Combine.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    and his slow 40 time of 4.55 he ran at the Combine.
    Joe Haden 4.57

Joe Haden 4.57
    Jerry Rice 4.71

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Jerry Rice 4.71
    we all know he didn't play at that speed ( hence the problem with 40 times while wearing shorts vs being in pads )