Thread: based on the data next CBA could be a long long messy ordeal

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

based on the data next CBA could be a long long messy ordeal

a lot of issues to be hammered out like every time a CBA deal is renegotiated BUT this to me should be the biggest deal of all ....

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: based on the data next CBA could be a long long messy ordeal

That's a disgraceful amount of money for a league that makes more money than both of the other leagues combined. That needs to be fixed so that the players are protected and can live a comfortable life in retirement.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    That's a disgraceful amount of money for a league that makes more money than both of the other leagues combined. That needs to be fixed so that the players are protected and can live a comfortable life in retirement.
    it is a huge disparity and I can see it being a huge part of the next CBA ...

that said ,

on one hand .....
    while I feel a 10 year vet deserves a nice retirement check from the league

on the other hand .....
    if you played 10 years in the league you should already be set for life if you didnt spend like a fool .....

so I can see both sides of it but that gap must close considerably ..... that said should a retired sports personality of any kind make more in retirement than an 8 year President ??

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    it is a huge disparity and I can see it being a huge part of the next CBA ...

that said ,

on one hand .....
    while I feel a 10 year vet deserves a nice retirement check from the league

on the other hand .....
    if you played 10 years in the league you should already be set for life if you didnt spend like a fool .....

so I can see both sides of it but that gap must close considerably ..... that said should a retired sports personality of any kind make more in retirement than an 8 year President ??

I get that. You're right. Anybody that makes millions of dollars for 10 years or more should not have any financial difficulties.

I think I have a bigger problem with the league not giving more support to players that never made big money and didn't play in the NFL for a long period of time. There are guys that never made the big money and still had their bodies ravaged by injuries and will negatively affect them for the rest of their lives. IMO, those people need to be taken care of as well.

The NFL generates so much money, it is difficult to understand how this hasn't been addressed long ago.

I get that. You're right. Anybody that makes millions of dollars for 10 years or more should not have any financial difficulties.

I think I have a bigger problem with the league not giving more support to players that never made big money and didn't play in the NFL for a long period of time. There are guys that never made the big money and still had their bodies ravaged by injuries and will negatively affect them for the rest of their lives. IMO, those people need to be taken care of as well.

The NFL generates so much money, it is difficult to understand how this hasn't been addressed long ago.

I would be 100% behind making sure guys from older eras that didnt get rich playing the game got a nice check monthly from the league to supplement their income ( great starting point ) what would that number look like IDK but perhaps 1000 bucks a month to every guy who played 2 seasons in the league .... 1500 a month for 3 seasons 2 grand for 4 seasons 2500 for 5 etc then step it up a bit more 6 years 4 grand a month ,7 at 4500 etc etc ...this could make a huge difference in the old timers lives and without them the league isnt were it is today ... and then continue to give them the yearly if they are getting it .... the league is rolling in $$ they can give back more than they are and still be rolling in it ...

but at the same time I think guys who have huge contracts should not be getting this money .... perhaps their contracts be set up so 2% goes into a IRA that they can not touch until x amount of years after retirement ....and then at 65 the league pension kicks in ? why should these guys get paid a kings ransom and still get the same rewards as the much lower paid guys ... complicated and not everyone will be happy with it for sure

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Not difficult at all. Just spell it out.... G R E E D.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The NFL also has more players than the other leagues combined. Sorry, but the math just does not add up when you have 53-man rosters.

$200K would mean over $10 million per year, per team, and that's for one 53-man group. Figure your average player will retire in his early 30s and live another 30-40 years, and that means you've got at least three or four full rosters per team floating around, which would be more like $40-$50M per team, per year, or $1.5 billion annually. And even that depends; if you're paying the 3-year and 5-year veterans something comparable to the 10-year veterans, then it could easily triple the number of players and raise it to $4 billion or $5 billion per year. And now you see why pensions make companies go bankrupt left and right.

It is not "greed," it is that the rosters are too big to accommodate that level of pay, and it is not like a normal company where you retire at age 60 or 65, meaning you have a 40-year career and a 10- or 15-year retirement. It's the reverse of that, you have a 10-year career and a 40-year retirement.

Really, I don't even see why there's any obligation to provide ANY pension plan. You choose a job that you know is only going to last for 10 years, no one is obliged to make sure you are provided for without working for the rest of your life. Yeah, you can get beat up on the job, but the compensation for that is the high pay. It's dangerous to work in a mine or on a fishing boat too, except the payoff is nowhere close, and the risk is that you actually die.

tl;dr - Applying normal conventions of jobs and labor and pay to professional sports is dumb and doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by steelreserve; 03-05-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I never thought about roster sizes, that's a good point.