Thread: Colbert Hints At Possible Busier Than Normal Steelers FA Signing Period

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Colbert Hints At Possible Busier Than Normal Steelers FA Signing Period

Colbert Hints At Possible Busier Than Normal Steelers Free Agent Signing Period

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on February 20, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers made it clear this week that wide receiver Antonio Brown will likely be traded in the coming weeks and months and that running back Le’Veon Bell will be allowed to shop his services to the highest bidder beginning roughly four weeks from now. Thanks to Bell not being given the transition or franchise tag this offseason, the Steelers should have plenty of salary cap space to go free agent shopping with in the middle of March. In fact, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert hinted on Wednesday that the we could potentially see a busier than normal Steelers free agent signing period this year due to all of the needs the team currently has and combined with Bell not getting tagged this offseason.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/02/co...igning-period/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Colbert Hints At Possible Busier Than Normal Steelers FA Signing Period

Another year of dumpster diving?

Just hold on to the money if so.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He usually doesn't smoke screen or bullshit...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

He usually doesn’t have this much cap space to work with. I think they go big at ILB and cb

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Compared to the rest of the league, they have very little cap $$ to spend. $20 million is nothing compared to $100 million

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

They can sign one elite player (if anyone even makes the open market) or multiple "bargain" second and third tier players to fill in around "prized" draft picks.

Wanna bet me what happens?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Compared to the rest of the league, they have very little cap $$ to spend. $20 million is nothing compared to $100 million

They can sign one elite player (if anyone even makes the open market) or multiple "bargain" second and third tier players to fill in around "prized" draft picks.

I bet he will spend the whole $20 million on signing Bell.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I bet he will spend the whole $20 million on signing Bell.
    That would be hilarious. A 275 Bell shows up to sign a one year 20 million dollar deal. People would stroke out.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I guess we can't expect to luck in to a Potsie ?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Not sure the cap space is there to warrant taking a risk in the type of big money free agent signing some fans believe is guaranteed for success and that some fans believe is the only way to build a team. They'll probably more of the low-key guys that are low risk but may provide great value. Of course not burning $9 mil hoping for the skin chance that bud Dupree breaks out would help

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Cap space can be created rather easily...that’s not an issue.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Will signing a big name FA offset what compensatory pick they would get for Lev Bell when he signs with another team?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Will signing a big name FA offset what compensatory pick they would get for Lev Bell when he signs with another team?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    most likely...

so any " splash" signings will have to be for an up and coming type player who hasn't gotten a true chance to shine yet ...

get him on the cheap and he immediately outperforms his deal ...

or the comp pick goes bye bye
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Whatever happens, I hope the Bell and AB drama is over for good before this season begins. It's become a tired theme, at this point I'm ready to roll with the new generation of players (Conner, Juju) being our core. Sure they don't have that elite talent, but good high character team players were what won us the super bowls. The Bus and Ward have rings, Bell and AB zero.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Knowing what will most likely happen, I am still hoping for a top FA CB this season, either in a trade for AB or just a FA. The dream would be to get Devin White also and good WR.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    The Bus and Ward have rings, Bell and AB zero.
    Bettis and Ward were part of a leadership group that had a championship mindset and worked toward greatness. The current Steelers don't have that kind of leadership or culture, so are extremely unlikely to sniff even an AFCCG at this point.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Whatever happens, I hope the Bell and AB drama is over for good before this season begins. It's become a tired theme, at this point I'm ready to roll with the new generation of players (Conner, Juju) being our core. Sure they don't have that elite talent, but good high character team players were what won us the super bowls. The Bus and Ward have rings, Bell and AB zero.
    The Bus and Ward also had superior coaching and a good culture of vets surrounding them.

Juju and Conner still have Mike "X-Ray Machine" Tomlin as coach and Ben Roethlisberger as the "Leader". Art II has the blessing of both of them.

Bell and AB are merely the end result of the disease, the source of the cancer is still on the team.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Knowing what will most likely happen, I am still hoping for a top FA CB this season, either in a trade for AB or just a FA. The dream would be to get Devin White also and good WR.
    I'm with you, Colbert has admitted our secondary needs a playmaker so I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Does that include the 2018 Bell money?

It's not hard for them to manipulate that $20M number via extensions and restructures which you know is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Does that include the 2018 Bell money?

It's not hard for them to manipulate that $20M number via extensions and restructures which you know is going to happen.
    I think so. I agree that the team can carve out cap space readily. So can any other team. What X dollars in cap space gets you in the FA market is a nasty relativistic game.

Two teams want to sign a CB. Team A has $76 million in cap space. Team B has $26 million. Wanna bet that Team A hands out some crazy contract and lands the FA?

That is how Watkins and Moncrief got paid like top tier WRs last off season.

The search is on for defensive playmakers

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019
    Bob Labriola
    STEELERS.COM

INDIANAPOLIS – Defensive playmakers. That’s what the Steelers need, and this is a week where the process of finding them, identifying the ones who will fit in with the rest of your team, and trying to project whether the ball skills they have shown to this point in their football lives will transfer to the NFL level.

Player workouts don’t begin until Thursday, but today was, for lack of an official label, media day, when teams offered up their coach or general manager to the room. When General Manager Kevin Colbert faced the expected barrage of Antonio Brown questions, he did so with primarily the same answers he had given back in Pittsburgh on Feb. 20, but eventually the subject turned to what is the major on-field issue facing the team this offseason.

That would be finding defensive playmakers, especially defensive playmakers on the back end, because over the past two seasons the same unit that posted 108 sacks and more than twice that number of pressures on opposing quarterbacks managed to parlay all of that pressure into only 37 takeaways, with just 24 of those being interceptions.

To recap, the Steelers defense faced 1,243 pass attempts over the previous two seasons and had only 24 interceptions, a 1.9 interception percentage.

Not good enough, and clearly not good at all.

to read rest of article:

https://www.steelers.com/news/the-se...ive-playmakers