Thread: Art Rooney II needs to bring pride back to Steelers

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Art Rooney II needs to bring pride back to Steelers

I heard a theory the other day that the Antonio Brown mess never would have happened if Dan Rooney still were alive and in charge of the Steelers.

I’m buying it.

Rooney was incredibly respected around the NFL and especially at team headquarters where he had a presence every day and routinely waited his turn in the lunch line with the players. I remember the time he asked Ike Taylor to get the players to stop using the N-word in the locker room and stop playing music with it in the lyrics. Taylor complied immediately. Rooney’s son, Art II, doesn’t command that sort of respect. I’m not sure anyone does.

What I do know is a lot of people – players and fans – are watching to see how Rooney II deals with the Brown fallout. Reports have the two meeting this week, although it won’t come as a surprise if Brown calls it off or fails to show. He has treated Rooney and the organization like trash every step of the way since he skipped out on the team before its last regular-season game against Cincinnati.......

read more @ https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201902190029

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

Re: Art Rooney II needs to bring pride back to Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I heard a theory the other day that the Antonio Brown mess never would have happened if Dan Rooney still were alive and in charge of the Steelers.

I’m buying it.

Rooney was incredibly respected around the NFL and especially at team headquarters where he had a presence every day and routinely waited his turn in the lunch line with the players. I remember the time he asked Ike Taylor to get the players to stop using the N-word in the locker room and stop playing music with it in the lyrics. Taylor complied immediately. Rooney’s son, Art II, doesn’t command that sort of respect. I’m not sure anyone does.

What I do know is a lot of people – players and fans – are watching to see how Rooney II deals with the Brown fallout. Reports have the two meeting this week, although it won’t come as a surprise if Brown calls it off or fails to show. He has treated Rooney and the organization like trash every step of the way since he skipped out on the team before its last regular-season game against Cincinnati.......

read more @ https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201902190029
    `

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

AR2 is definitely not the man his father was. He's in over his head.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Baghdad Art and Tomlin is holding the mic. This entire shitshow belongs at the feet of these two

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I think people conveniently forget that Art II has been running the ship for quite a while. He most certainly is NOT in over his head. That being said, I think that the respect that Dan Rooney commanded is and was hard to overlook.

In my humble opinion, the biggest adjustment that the Steelers organization needs to make is how to conduct business without Dan Rooney around. No one will ever be Mr. Rooney, and shouldn't try to be. He was a living legend in the NFL world. I think that we need to realize that the Steelers will forever be different. That's not necessarily going to be a bad thing, but it sure as heck is one big adjustment for everyone in Steelers nation...coaches, FO, players, and us impatient fans.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If he doesn’t know how to conduct business without his dad around then he’s in over his head. You can’t have it both ways. Some guys are not made for the top. Some coordinators are not made to be HC’s. Some owner’s sons, while great around the office, are not meant to run teams.

If AR2 is, he needs to prove it now.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If he doesn’t know how to conduct business without his dad around then he’s in over his head. You can’t have it both ways. Some guys are not made for the top. Some coordinators are not made to be HC’s. Some owner’s sons, while great around the office, are not meant to run teams.

If AR2 is, he needs to prove it now.
    He proved it before when he fired Arians after his head coach wanted Arians to stay one season after a Super Bowl appearance and added years to Ben's career.

IMO he is gathering intel on how this franchise reached its current state and part of that includes finding out, regardless of the mental state of the source, whether AB has any credible information to share on how the head coach and/or QB may have operated in a manner that has not always been in the best interests of the organization.

Maybe Dan Rooney would have moved sooner but AJRII's father gave Noll several bad years before stepping up in 1988 and then let matters slide for several more mediocre seasons until Noll left after the 1991 season. And Dan Rooney let Cowher ride out several bad seasons rather than just canning Cowher after the abysmal 1999 season. So consider the possibility AJRII is proceeding with the patience of his father.

AJRII may not be up to the job but since he is going to be the one to decide if Tomlin is the first Steelers head coach to get fired since 1968 we can only hope for the best.

And FWIW the last person AJRII needs to receive advice from is a front runner like Ron Cook. This was Cook in December 2017.

I admit, my hand went up when they asked for a count of those who believed the Steelers were foolish to give Brown a four-year, $68 million contract extension in February. He still had a year left on his old deal and wasn’t a free agent. You don’t pay a receiver who touches the ball five or six times a game that kind of money in the salary-cap era. He had some baggage. Plenty of baggage....

Well, I was wrong.

Now, I’m wondering if the Steelers are paying Brown and Bell enough.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2017/12/03/antonio-brown-steelers-offense-le-veon-bell-contract-fantasy/stories/201712030078