Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FA John Brown!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

FA John Brown!

I think he will be a huge pick up for the Steelers. The Steelers 2018 offense lacked a speddy deep threat and Brown fits that perfectly. If they acquire him no need to draft a wr in early rds or at all. Then if the Steelers get a 1 pick for AB, use one of their 1 picks to get a top TE in the coming draft. 3rd or 4th rd get a rb to go with Conner & Samuels. If these moves are done I believe this offense will be even better then when all the killer B's was on the field together. If the Steelers don't get Brown, Then they will need to draft a speedy wr in the early rds.

PS. sorry for another Brown post!

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Re: FA John Brown!

Steelers need a field stretcher and there is not a lot of them in free agency. I would be happy with John Brown as a Steelers

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If JB were added, I think it’s a bigger move with AB on the roster. I don’t think he’d have even close to the impact without AB around. Would still be a good signing but with AB on the roster it would be a great signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Offense never reached its full potential even with Bell and Brown, downgrade the talent and we're left with something worse.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Id be for it. Didn't he attend college in the Pittsburgh area

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Id be for it. Didn't he attend college in the Pittsburgh area
    yes, he attended Pittsburgh State Univ

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here is the thing with Brown. He has rarely been healthy. And he has only once caught more than 50% of his targets. For most of his career he has been hovering around Sammie Coates catch %. Now, I don't watch a ton of Cardinals games, so maybe it is more QB play than Brown dropping passes. But something to think about.

Also, and this is just me being a jerk, but he isn't exactly a quite citizen. And drama seems to be the biggest concern for some -- http://arizonasports.com/story/17113...on-in-arizona/ -- basically said he didn't like the situation in Arizona so he just checked out for a whole year.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Here is the thing with Brown. He has rarely been healthy. And he has only once caught more than 50% of his targets. For most of his career he has been hovering around Sammie Coates catch %. Now, I don't watch a ton of Cardinals games, so maybe it is more QB play than Brown dropping passes. But something to think about.

Also, and this is just me being a jerk, but he isn't exactly a quite citizen. And drama seems to be the biggest concern for some -- http://arizonasports.com/story/17113...on-in-arizona/ -- basically said he didn't like the situation in Arizona so he just checked out for a whole year.
    ever watch any Ravens games?

The thing is, if AB is traded the Steelers will need a field stretcher or JuJu is going to get bracket coverage. I’d take John Brown over DHB or Hunter. Not seeing to many teams worrying about DHB or Hunter. The question is, if not John Brown then who? Who is a realistic option for the Steelers to add to the WR core if AB is delt. Golden Tate is a slot guy, we already have an abundance of them.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Yup . And Brown looked like a guy who runs really fast in a straight line and that's about it.

As to the other valid questions about stretching the field, wasn't that what the spent a high draft pick on James Washington to do?

I don't think that adding Brown would be any detriment to the roster, but I also don't think he is really all that good.

Yup . And Brown looked like a guy who runs really fast in a straight line and that's about it.

As to the other valid questions about stretching the field, wasn't that what the spent a high draft pick on James Washington to do?

I don't think that adding Brown would be any detriment to the roster, but I also don't think he is really all that good.
    John Brown runs in the 4.3s, James Washington in the 4.5s. can't really compare their straight line speed...

Unfortunately Washington hasn’t shown enough yet during his rookie year, unless you think he has. No one is saying John Brown is a number one, but he would be a significant upgrade over DHB and Hunter. If AB goes, you can’t count on JuJu getting doubled.

Can count on JuJu getting doubled

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    Can count on JuJu getting doubled
    if the season ending game against the weak Bengals pass defense is any indication, JuJu was doubled most of the game and ended up with 5 catches for 37 yards a 1 TD.

Yep, probably want some speed across from him to keep the safeties honest. I’m up for whoever works, but I already know DHB and Hunter aren’t it

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

yes, he attended Pittsburgh State Univ
    but that is in Pittsburg Kansas
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

but that is in Pittsburg Kansas
    lol didn't know that.

Pittsburg State being in Kansas makes sense though

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

lol didn't know that.

Pittsburg State being in Kansas makes sense though
    I am sure you are not alone lol

John Brown runs in the 4.3s, James Washington in the 4.5s. can't really compare their straight line speed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    Unfortunately Washington hasn’t shown enough yet during his rookie year, unless you think he has. No one is saying John Brown is a number one, but he would be a significant upgrade over DHB and Hunter. If AB goes, you can’t count on JuJu getting doubled.
    I understand that Brown is faster. He is also smaller. Washington was billed, when drafted, as the fastest player in pads at the Senior Bowl, a tremendous catcher of the ball, and a guy who could impact deep down the field. Now, he has shown almost none of that during his rookie year. Apparently he's really good in practice, but he isn't good on the field. Now, Brown comes with his own issues, primarily that he doesn't catch about 50-60% of the passes thrown in his direction.

So that leaves you with Juju as the #1. Washington as the #2. Switzer and a resigned Rogers as the slot guys. Where do you play a "one trick pony" like Brown? If you pencil him as the #4/Deep Threat -- then every time he steps on the field, teams will know what's going to happen. We've seen with Bryant (when he wasn't good) and the struggles of Coates and Washington that unless teams feel that you are a threat to run more than a "Go" or "Post" route -- you are pretty easy to defend.

I think that Hunter needs to go. And DHB should be pushed for his roster spot (which might have to be pried from his cold dead hands). If AB and Hunter go away, then you have two WR spots to fill. I guess John Brown is as good as anybody for one of them. But you are looking at a need for a top 70 pick for the other spot.

Honestly, I guess it is that I strongly believe you can always find guys in the draft that can run a 4.3 and sometimes catch the ball. At this point in his career, John Brown is what he is. I would rather role the dice on the kid from Nowhere State in the 5th round that can fly.

I understand that Brown is faster. He is also smaller. Washington was billed, when drafted, as the fastest player in pads at the Senior Bowl, a tremendous catcher of the ball, and a guy who could impact deep down the field. Now, he has shown almost none of that during his rookie year. Apparently he's really good in practice, but he isn't good on the field. Now, Brown comes with his own issues, primarily that he doesn't catch about 50-60% of the passes thrown in his direction.

So that leaves you with Juju as the #1. Washington as the #2. Switzer and a resigned Rogers as the slot guys. Where do you play a "one trick pony" like Brown? If you pencil him as the #4/Deep Threat -- then every time he steps on the field, teams will know what's going to happen. We've seen with Bryant (when he wasn't good) and the struggles of Coates and Washington that unless teams feel that you are a threat to run more than a "Go" or "Post" route -- you are pretty easy to defend.

I think that Hunter needs to go. And DHB should be pushed for his roster spot (which might have to be pried from his cold dead hands). If AB and Hunter go away, then you have two WR spots to fill. I guess John Brown is as good as anybody for one of them. But you are looking at a need for a top 70 pick for the other spot.

Honestly, I guess it is that I strongly believe you can always find guys in the draft that can run a 4.3 and sometimes catch the ball. At this point in his career, John Brown is what he is. I would rather role the dice on the kid from Nowhere State in the 5th round that can fly.
    Brown is explosive .............

but he is unreliable both as a pass catcher and in the availability department , like many of these speed demons he has issues staying on the field .

I still like him , but not enough to put all my chips in his basket ... would have to be ( cap friendly ) and be accompanied with a draft pick as insurance with Hunter and DHB gone

he seemingly got less reliable in Baltimore than in Arizona with Palmer at QB so I guess some of that may be attributed to Moonball joe just not being as accurate of a passer as Palmer

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Pass

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

And in football, there’s pretty much no such thing as straight line speed because of a million variables.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I’m down with whoever will make the defenses we play stay honest. If they don’t we need someone who will make them pay.Dont care who it is, I just know that if AB leaves he isn’t currently on the Steelers roster.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Hed be good as a complimentary piece.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    And in football, there’s pretty much no such thing as straight line speed because of a million variables.
    Plus, when the pads go on, most players lose speed. Washington does not. His 4.5 speed stays as 4.5 speed... as evidenced during last year’s Senior Bowl, where Washington was the fastest player in pads.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Plus, when the pads go on, most players lose speed. Washington does not. His 4.5 speed stays as 4.5 speed... as evidenced during last year’s Senior Bowl, where Washington was the fastest player in pads.
    But Brown proved in the past he is a burner in the NFL while wearing pads. I think Washington will be good and maybe soon. Though Brown would beat him easy in a race wearing pads. Again I love Washington's potential and think he will be good. He won't be the speedster deep threat the Steelers are missing.

At this point in his career, John Brown is what he is. I would rather role the dice on the kid from Nowhere State in the 5th round that can fly.
    we don't have a 5th round pick this year

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    But Brown proved in the past he is a burner in the NFL while wearing pads. I think Washington will be good and maybe soon. Though Brown would beat him easy in a race wearing pads. Again I love Washington's potential and think he will be good. He won't be the speedster deep threat the Steelers are missing.
    We already have a burner with questionable receiving skills. The difference is our guy, DHB, is a hard worker, a great teammate, and a special teams ace.

I think James Washington will be a better wr in 2019 in our system than John Brown. I also think JW in year two is better bet than anyone coming out of the draft in year one.

So we really don’t have great options in FA or in the draft to replace AB.

So the answer is keep AB and work things out like adults. AB’s a nut job, but I firmly believe that he’s good enough to be net positive, even if it might mean a little of the dreaded... DUH DUH DUH... “drama!”

And all you geniuses who fear drama more than losing, then at least be consistent. Tell me how big a mistake it was for Chuck Noll, who lost the locker room in ‘77, to keep “problem players” who wanted out for awhile - you know, locker room cancers like Jack Lambert and Mel Blount among others. Tell me that we should have gotten rid of them because... DRAMA!

Or maybe, just maybe, bringing them back into the fold had SOMETHING to do with winning two more Super Bowls.

I mean it’s not like AB is suing the head coach or anything.

Too bad Chuck Noll and Art Sr. didn’t have such knowledgeable fans as we have today to school them about drama in the locker room being a fate worse than death.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

There will be good WR's that are released by teams in preseason. There always are.

Teams will draft players that look good in training camp and some of preseason, and they'll take the chance that they develop into good players, so they'll cut quality wide receivers that are making much more money for a talented, cheaper option through the draft. Either that, or they'll cut a veteran making big money that they feel isn't worth it anymore. Once on the market, teams can sign them for a much more reasonable salary.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Yes but look at the guys he had throwing to him. Moonball Joe, and I can't see past 10 yards Jackson.