Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FA John Brown!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: FA John Brown!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    But Brown proved in the past he is a burner in the NFL while wearing pads. I think Washington will be good and maybe soon. Though Brown would beat him easy in a race wearing pads. Again I love Washington's potential and think he will be good. He won't be the speedster deep threat the Steelers are missing.
    Yes, John Brown has already shown that he can be a burner in the NFL (whereas, James Washington has not).

My contention is that Washington is still faster (when they both have pads on).

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Yes but look at the guys he had throwing to him. Moonball Joe, and I can't see past 10 yards Jackson.
    Brown was actually fairly decent in the season when Flacco was throwing him the ball...at least through 7 weeks. He wasn’t an All-Pro but he put up low end 2 or high end 3 numbers. Which is what he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Brown was actually fairly decent in the season when Flacco was throwing him the ball...at least through 7 weeks. He wasn’t an All-Pro but he put up low end 2 or high end 3 numbers. Which is what he should be.
    I agree. If AB doesn't come back we need someone better than JB to take the heat off Juju who will suddenly be our #1 receiver and thus covered like a #1.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Brown had 3 receptions for 116 yds and a TD against us in Week 4:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...teelers-Week-4

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...wide-receiver/
    People want an established veteran who is better than John Brown, unfortunately this list is filled with a bunch of guys who’s best days are long behind them. Big difference between Ben (who threw the ball more than any other QB in 2018) then Joe and Lamar. I honestly feel like the Steelers won’t get John Brown, because other teams with a lot more money will be bidding on his services

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Unlike DBs, I do not need to bring in an established player at WR. The Steelers have proven themselves to be extremely adept at drafting (replacing) WRs.

Teegre, your good with who the Steelers have on their current roster and them drafting a rookie WR in the upcoming draft to supplement some of AB production if he is traded?

I guess I’m a little more concerned about the Steelers offense without AB. The Steelers barely moved the ball against a bad Cincinnati defense without AB.http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...sition/defense

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    I guess I’m a little more concerned about the Steelers offense without AB. The Steelers barely moved the ball against a bad Cincinnati defense without AB.http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...sition/defense
    Agreed and not only that, If the Steelers pass on Brown most likely they will use a high pick on a wr in the draft. That pick could be used to plug other needs if they get Brown.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yes, John Brown has already shown that he can be a burner in the NFL (whereas, James Washington has not).

My contention is that Washington is still faster (when they both have pads on).
    I seen a Brown play a good bit when he was with the Cards and saw almost all snaps Washington played last year. To me it's a easy eyeball test that Brown is faster in pads. Washington might have game speed as someone like Boldin who plays faster then his 40 times but he is not a burner. That said there is a lot to like about Washington but not sure he is ready to shine yet.

I also have faith that James Washington is going to be a player. I also would like to have a back up plan in case Washington or a rookie draft pick don’t step up in 2019. DHB and Hunter aren’t the plan, I’ve seen the end ov that movie, it’s not very good

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I guess it comes down to what the evaluation criteria is. AB is one of the 3 best WRs in the league. I think he is the best in the business. No one on the roster or the FA market is replacing him or even gonna come close to equaling his production. It will have to be spread over multiple guys.

That being said, Washington + A High Draft Pick is a plan I have more faith in than FA John Brown signing. But, what do I know? I've just always seen Brown as fragile speed guy with suspect hands.

Your 100% right, there is no way the Steelers are going to replace all of AB production! But they can replace inadequate WR who provide zero production in the passing game. What I’m trying to say is with AB probably leaving the stable of WR needs to be improved. The luxury of keeping a guy because he is just a good special teamer is gone. The fact that we do not have any speed that keeps the safeties honest is concerning. Rewatch the bengals game and watch how their secondary played us. Doesn’t have to be John Brown, but I hope the Steelers do bring in a deep play threat that will make other teams play more honest

I also agree it doesn't have to be Brown but I don't see to many other legit deep threat out there in FA. I really don't want them to use a high pick on a wr in the draft if Washington pans out in a year or so.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Wash was drafted for the sole purpose of stretching the field vertically. I don’t know why he didn’t see the field much but that raises concerns. IMO John Brown is another Hunter, tests great and checks a lot of boxes but doesn’t translate to game day results. Tevin Jones ran a 4.38, is 6’2” 217 and looked pretty good last preseason. He’s already on the Steeler’s PS. I have more confidence in him moving forward.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Sheriff John Brown always hated me, for what? I don't know.....

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    John Brown had a little indian...

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill it before it grow...