Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rebuild of the Offense Has Already Begun

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Rebuild of the Offense Has Already Begun

I have seen several mentions about having to begin a rebuild of the offense starting next year. Folks, the rebuild is already under way. Look at the starters on offense:

QB:

RB: rookie

WR: 2nd year
    WR: 3rd year

TE: rookie

LT: rookie
    LG: 2nd year
    C: rookie
    RG:
    RT:

That is 7 of 11 starters who are on their first contracts… and just beginning to learn how to play in the NFL. Add another couple of O-linemen, and voila!!! the rebuild is complete. (We will also need a quarterback, but that topic has been discussed as nauseum.)

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: The Rebuild of the Offense Has Already Begun

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I have seen several mentions about having to begin a rebuild of the offense starting next year. Folks, the rebuild is already under way. Look at the starters on offense:

QB:

RG:
    RT:

OC: TBD

That is 7 of 11 starters who are on their first contracts… and just beginning to learn how to play in the NFL. Add another couple of O-linemen, and voila!!! the rebuild is complete. (We will also need a quarterback, but that topic has been discussed as nauseum.)
    Fixed!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

QB:

RG:
    RT:

I could also see us adding a Manny Sanders/JuJu type WR this draft.

OT is the biggest question mark for me today. Yes, even more than QB. Do they like Moore at LT or consider drafting/FA a LT and making Moore the RT? Chuks is UFA and Banner just got an extension but is coming off ACL injury.

Dotson is the only OL I see that has earned his spot on this OL and hopefully he can get back from his ankle injury before our playoff run. Maybe they bring Turner back next season?

A vet Center pickup would be a great move IMO. Hassenauer is an ERFA so I think that means he will be here next season. Finney is UFA so wait and see. Green just hasn't shown that he has it yet.

I still would like a RB that can be a grind out a 3-4 minute drive moving the chains and eating clock but that requires run blockers up front.

At QB I am firmly on the Desmond Ridder train if drafting one this year. He hasn't done anything to WOW! you exactly but he has great size, mobility, arm strength, and experience. I read his decision making can be suspect at times. Whose isn't though?

There are some pretty good names in the TE FA market also. Still have Freiermuth and Gentry on rookie deals. I don't understand Ebron's restructure deal so I don't know if he's an UFA or not.

All this to say, the rebuild is definitely already under way but very few actual decisions have been made. I think the OL and QB are still very much in flux and any number of directions can be taken from here. Just my opinion but I would like Ben to stay 1 more season. Give Haskins a look as primary backup over Rudolph. AND draft Ridder in the 1st/2nd round. Sorry Dobbs/Rudolph. Also either 'veteran up' the OL in FA or draft OL early and often because the 'flashes' just haven't been there with this group.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Just sign JuJu.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Just sign JuJu.
    I’d be okay with that!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Just sign JuJu.

Plus, on the topic of youth… he’s younger than DJ.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

So what you're saying is the rebuild is taking place and we already have our Bridge QB

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Plus, on the topic of youth… he’s younger than DJ.
    So…I’m gonna get killed for this…but who is better?

They do different things. But while I like Juju far more; DJ is more valuable.

So better might not be the right word but if you only pay one of them big $$$, I say hold your nose and call DJs agent first.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So…I’m gonna get killed for this…but who is better?

They do different things. But while I like Juju far more; DJ is more valuable.

So better might not be the right word but if you only pay one of them big $$$, I say hold your nose and call DJs agent first.
    Johnson is the better one between the two. It's like the Hines Ward vs AB conversation. If there's a way to keep both though, do it. But DJ is the guy who's gonna give D-coordinators more headaches than Juju

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Johnson is the better one between the two. It's like the Hines Ward vs AB conversation. If there's a way to keep both though, do it. But DJ is the guy who's gonna give D-coordinators more headaches than Juju
    Ok. If you’re saying that I’m not totally crazy. Or at least I’m in pretty decent company.

Have a good Holiday.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Not a capologist by any stretch, but I'm of the understanding that the Steelers are going to have a lot of cap space in '22 (for a change)?

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not a capologist by any stretch, but I'm of the understanding that the Steelers are going to have a lot of cap space in '22 (for a change)?
    Neither am I. I think the “difficult” bit is that they also have a low number of players rostered for next year. Big cap space and also big roster numbers to fill out…so how much to any one position group.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Neither am I. I think the “difficult” bit is that they also have a low number of players rostered for next year. Big cap space and also big roster numbers to fill out…so how much to any one position group.
    could be the largest roster turnover in recent memory
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This is true.

And...Colbert doesn't go into draft weekend with glaring holes to fill. I think the Steelers will hit the FA market early, often, and at several position groups once the FA period opens. Most of that cap space could be used up by draft day.

In the vein of 'fixing the run game', which was the overall plan in place prior to last draft, I think the cap money will be spent to plug the OL weaknesses with veteran help. And looking at the lists of guys I think this could be the perfect year to do just that. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Tackle:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle//

Guard:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/guard//

Center:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/center//

Tight End:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tight-end//

Running Back:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...running-back//

Just ONE name from each of these FA position groups could change the entire dynamic of the Steelers' offense. I am still of the opinion that this team's defense when healthy, plus a modest to good running game, plus just an average QB that doesn't turn the ball over, puts us in championship contention every year. I don't think an 'Aaron Rodgers" type is needed honestly. Here's the QB FA list though just because 3 Steelers are currently on it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age.../quarterback//

And this is only looking at the possibilities for the offense pre-draft. I think it's pretty exciting.

@Born2Steel
    I’m a strong believer in Dan Moore. (I might be the only one. ) He’s a rookie who has rookie moments, and the sacks he gives up are to guys who are known for getting sacks. People point to Rashawn Slater as the standard, when Slater is an anomaly. But, as far at the other OTs go, I think we need an upgrade.

If a LT is there in R1, I’d be fine with moving Moore to RT. If we go another route in R1, I’m also fine with leaving Moore at LT… and drafting a RT on Day 2.

Similarly, if Linderbaum drops to us, I move Green to RG. If we go a different route in R1, then depending on who gets drafted on Day 2 (OG or C) will decide whether he stays at C or moves.

@mojoUW
    I wasn’t saying to replace DJ with JuJu. I was just pointing out how YOUNG this offense is. But, to answer you question: Why not BOTH? Really. As has been mentioned/linked, we have the ninth most cap room next off-season.

@Born2Steel
    I’m a strong believer in Dan Moore. (I might be the only one. ) He’s a rookie who has rookie moments, and the sacks he gives up are to guys who are known for getting sacks. People point to Rashawn Slater as the standard, when Slater is an anomaly. But, as far at the other OTs go, I think we need an upgrade.

If a LT is there in R1, I’d be fine with moving Moore to RT. If we go another route in R1, I’m also fine with leaving Moore at LT… and drafting a RT on Day 2.

Similarly, if Linderbaum drops to us, I move Green to RG. If we go a different route in R1, then depending on who gets drafted on Day 2 (OG or C) will decide whether he stays at C or moves.

@mojoUW
    I wasn’t saying to replace DJ with JuJu. I was just pointing out how YOUNG this offense is. But, to answer you question: Why not BOTH? Really. As has been mentioned/linked, we have the ninth most cap room next off-season.
    I'm not 'quitting' on Dan Moore yet. I wouldn't say "strong believer" yet either. I agree his toughest moments came from players everybody has tough moments with. I just don't know that he did enough to say stop looking for a LT. Another issue with our rookies has been the revolving door of players at LG this season. The left side of our OL looked like rookie-this week's new guy-rookie. Very hard to get any consistency or trust that way. I think the surplus of cap room this offseason could be used to bring in a veteran at each OL spot and at TE and RB as well. Get the leadership for the offense that we see from Cam, Haden, Minkah, and TJ on the defensive side. A veteran OT(right or left), maybe re-sign Turner, and a veteran at Center. That's where I would begin this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm not 'quitting' on Dan Moore yet. I wouldn't say "strong believer" yet either. I agree his toughest moments came from players everybody has tough moments with. I just don't know that he did enough to say stop looking for a LT. Another issue with our rookies has been the revolving door of players at LG this season. The left side of our OL looked like rookie-this week's new guy-rookie. Very hard to get any consistency or trust that way. I think the surplus of cap room this offseason could be used to bring in a veteran at each OL spot and at TE and RB as well. Get the leadership for the offense that we see from Cam, Haden, Minkah, and TJ on the defensive side. A veteran OT(right or left), maybe re-sign Turner, and a veteran at Center. That's where I would begin this offseason.
    Yep… Dotson is young. So, even when he was in, it was a learning curve for all three. Then, having a “left guard du jour” certainly didn’t help.

could be the largest roster turnover in recent memory
    Can't wait! I think it will be a good thing in the long run.

Here is an example. Joe Haden is a favorite of mine. Joe Haden just preserved the Titans victory with an amazing display of technique, strength, and grit on an open field tackle. Joe Haden also can barely run as an NFL CB anymore. Haden is a good use of cap space on a strong playoff contending team as his grit and guile has real benefits. Haden is too old and too expensive for a rebuilding team.

That calculation has to happen up and down the roster. Likely results in some lesser quality starters BUT hopefully the depth is massively upgraded. Right now, the Steelers have a decent top 22 guys and a veteran minimum rest of the roster. Would be nice to balance those scales a bit. For instance, wouldn't it be nice if when one of the 216 annual injuries hit the defense, maybe a guy better than Mondeaux or Spillane was on the bench ready to play? I applaud the efforts and growth both of those guys have showed as players. But lets be honest...those guys are not on a lot of rosters across the league. Or take my point another way...so as not to be critical to any specific player. Adams was on the practice squad of a pretty good defense. He shows up in Pittsburgh and looks better than the top depth guys. That means your depth is not good.

On other notes in this thread:

Sticking with Moore at LT seems to he the Steelers style. Oh, cool, you have a really awesome first round LT there. Amazing player. Did you see ours? Yeah, we built him out of spare parts and mid round draft picks. Makes the same plays your guy does.

They get an interior OL that either allows them to use Green as the RG or is the new RG AND Green develops (which I honestly am really optimistic that he will) and then you have a potentially highly athletic and talented young interior core of your OL. All 3 guys could move and put people on their backsides...Harris would love it.

So that leaves us with RT...and I still believe in Banner. Don't ask me why...but I do.

I dunno...might be a pipe dream but I have this idea that they are ONE player away from a decent OL for 2022 and a dominant OL in 2023+.

Also...how the heck is Chuks Okorafur still only 24 years old? Isn't he a 12 year veteran at this point...

I mean heck at that age and if he doesn't want a massive contract or a guaranteed starting spot....do you consider bringing him back...

Also...how the heck is Chuks Okorafur still only 24 years old? Isn't he a 12 year veteran at this point...

I mean heck at that age and if he doesn't want a massive contract or a guaranteed starting spot....do you consider bringing him back...
    I had considered adding him, but he’s a 4th year guy… so, it doesn’t quite have the same pizzazz. Regardless, he is indeed YOUNG.

I’d bring him back… he’s had a good season except for the false starts (which Balinger blamed on the snap not occurring when the snap count happens).

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

@mojoUW
    As they always do, if they want both guys, they’ll find a way to do it…

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I would rather keep Johnson than Juju. Neither is who I would want as my #1 guy, but between the two of them, DJ has the ability to take over a game once in a while and Juju a lot less so.

I tend to think there are three kinds of players in the NFL - the guys who create the action; the merely good players who can make plays, but do better if they're alongside the action-creators; and everybody else. Juju to me is squarely in the second group, but Johnson shows flashes of the first. Other recent examples might be players like Minkah in the first group and Edmunds in the second; Watt in the first group and Dupree in the second; A. Brown in the first group and any number of WRs in the second, and so on.

Johnson is kind of equivalent to, say, if Mike Mitchell had played offense - worth keeping around if you can, and capable of making some big plays on his own, but not enough that you would want to build the whole unit around him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Hoping we sign Orlando Brown, Jr.
    Praying that Tyler Linderbaum drops.

Expecting to draft Trevor Penning in R1 , and Jarrett Patterson in R2.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Boy, looking back at my last post in this thread - holy shit, that didn't age well. The past few weeks sure have been something. Johnson has been the exact opposite of a guy who steps up during crunch time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

This rebuild could also use some coaching talent, of which we are sorely lacking, squarely compared to our opponents tonight, who seem to have high IQ imaginations at work, drawing up unorthodox plays that fit their personnel, which work marvelously, albeit against teams and coaches that only think 1-dimensionally, and that's us through-and-through. We were more than simply out-played tonight, and our mental weaknesses were exposed to everybody, possessing very little player talent with which to compensate. This team can only rebuild through demolition, as the last 5 years have thus revealed to me.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Hoping we sign Orlando Brown, Jr.
    Praying that Tyler Linderbaum drops.

Expecting to draft Trevor Penning in R1 , and Jarrett Patterson in R2.
    That sounds perfect…so yeah…none of that happens…

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

So are the Steelers picking at 20?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    So are the Steelers picking at 20?
    Yes indeed

I could see us going OL in round 1 and also picking up a solid vet in FA. With this line I’m convinced it doesn’t matter who we play at QB

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I could see us going OL in round 1 and also picking up a solid vet in FA. With this line I’m convinced it doesn’t matter who we play at QB
    Orlando Brown, Jr.