Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Brown to meet with Art Rooney II

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: UPDATE: Brown to meet with Art Rooney II

When already???

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Thanks for the update the sit down went down

Doubtful AJRII thinks it is time to "move on" the same way AB does.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I Hope they do the right thing and trade him to a shit team

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Wow, AB must have taken an English composition refresher course since his last barrage of tweets.
    The sentences actually make sense, spelling and punctuation were checked.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    I Hope they do the right thing and trade him to a shit team
    If moving on means trading him, then they’d better get great value for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Does anyone else have a feeling the Steelers already have a trade done?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

AB: I want more money. Straight cash.
    Rooney: No.
    AB: Trade me! Business is Boomin' and I need paid!
    Rooney: OK.
    AB: Crap...that wasn't the love fest I thought....better post something soothing on social media!

Wanna bet that's pretty close to how it went?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    AB: Crap...that wasn't the love fest I thought....better post something soothing on social media!

Agreed

As posted above, that tweet is too well written for AB to have done it

Placeholder tweet by Rosenhaus as he tries to keep AB from tweeting up a bigger mess

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

He could have went to Rooney a month ago and demanded a trade and got easily traded for a high pick. Now he has went off the rails so bad it'll be hard for teams to forget that in the next few weeks when it's likely a deal will come together.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I heard on NFL Radio today from Alex Marvez that the team AB gets traded to won’t be able to redo his contract for a certain amount of time? It’s that accurate?

Follow up report and anonymous quote I would bet came from Rosenhaus

Brown's agent Drew Rosenhaus joined the meeting, as did Steelers GM Kevin Colbert and executive Omar Khan, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The meeting was cordial and "everyone agreed the trade will be for the best," a source told Schefter.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-agree-move-on

Trade will be for the best for AB but doubtful Steelers will give him away

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Agreed

As posted above, that tweet is too well written for AB to have done it

Placeholder tweet by Rosenhaus as he tries to keep AB from tweeting up a bigger mess
    No doubt. I am by no means taking up for AB, but the Steelers better figure out this guaranteed cash crap soon. Or we are gonna watch Juju and Watt (in a very polite way) walk right the hell out of the building when their rookie deals are up.

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

So true Mojouw! The Steelers need to adapt and change with the rest of the NFL or be left behind

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    So true Mojouw! The Steelers need to adapt and change with the rest of the NFL or be left behind
    This list is comical how little the team guarantees -- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/

20-30% less than the rest of the league. Honestly, I had no idea until the recent outbursts of pettiness by Bell and AB, but I can kind see it...

If I knew I could get paid the same or even a bit more to sell widgets across town and only 50% of my wages would be commission based unlike my present job where 60-80% is commission based, I would be selling widgets across town in a second.

I realize the analogy is not great, but I can get why the players are finally starting to realize the system is rigged not in their favor. And it will never change because the vast swath of players are too dumb to understand what the CBA says, agents are predatory, and the union leadership is a notch above awful.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Let's hope Rooney and Tomlin learned a lesson here. Its mind-boggling to me that these two with so much NFL experience would powder puff a players ass by giving him such special treatment over the other players. How in the hell did they think this wouldn't get in the craw of the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Let's hope Rooney and Tomlin learned a lesson here. Its mind-boggling to me that these two with so much NFL experience would powder puff a players ass by giving him such special treatment over the other players. How in the hell did they think this wouldn't get in the craw of the team?
    I wonder if it isn't more common then we'd think. No idea. But I gotta figure this gang of MENSA members isn't exactly breaking new ground on anything else. So why on this one issue?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I wonder if it isn't more common then we'd think. No idea. But I gotta figure this gang of MENSA members isn't exactly breaking new ground on anything else. So why on this one issue?
    Well if it is it sure as hell doesn't benefit the "team spirit." Human nature is the same if you are a factory worker or a pro football player. AB is neither, he's just an asshole.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Brady has his own trainer (does not use the team’s trainers). Brady doesn’t eat with the team; he has his own chef/meals made. Et cetera. Sure, Brady is “never late for meetings”, but don’t think for a minute that he doesn’t get special treatment.

Oh, and while Brady didn’t demand a trade for himself, he sure as heck stomped his feet until he got the heir-apparent QB traded.

SUMMATION:
    If we are going to go by the mantra of “If Belichick does it, it must be good”... then, Tomlin’s treatment of AB is right in line.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Brady has his own trainer (does not use the team’s trainers). Brady doesn’t eat with the team; he has his own chef/meals made. Et cetera. Sure, Brady is “never late for meetings”, but don’t think for a minute that he doesn’t get special treatment.

Oh, and while Brady didn’t demand a trade for himself, he sure as heck stomped his feet until he got the heir-apparent QB traded.

SUMMATION:
    If we are going to go by the mantra of “If Belichick does it, it must be good”... then, Tomlin’s treatment of AB is right in line.

People that don't think players on every other team get special treatment are just being naïve. It happens on every team.

Where Tomlin and the organization screwed up is not jumping on this sooner from a disciplinary standpoint to try to control the problem, or seeing the signs that this was coming and trading him before it reached the media and became a huge story. They probably could have gotten a ton in return.

To be fair, I don't think any form of discipline would have stopped this with Brown's current personal meltdown.

It is a terrible situation.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    People that don't think players on every other team get special treatment are just being naïve. It happens on every team.

Where Tomlin and the organization screwed up is not jumping on this sooner from a disciplinary standpoint to try to control the problem, or seeing the signs that this was coming and trading him before it reached the media and became a huge story. They probably could have gotten a ton in return.

To be fair, I don't think any form of discipline would have stopped this with Brown's current personal meltdown.

It is a terrible situation.
    As Bill Parcells used to say: “You treat every player equally... it’s just that some get treated more equally than others.”

(After saying this, one of his trainers went out & purchased some cocaine for LT.)

In hindsight, trading AB at the trading deadline for a “then disgruntled” Patrick Peterson (and a R1 pick) would have been a great move... and, a move that would have brought the ire from the fanbase.

What is naive is a Head Coach that is weak on discipline, who fines some players and not others. Then the ones you don't discipline like AB & Harrison turn around and bite you in the ass. As for Brady he was a R6 pick also but he doesn't miss meetings, hold the team aircraft up from departing, toss furniture out of a high rise and isn't a moron. Yet nothing was done to AB. It's bullshit

As Bill Parcells used to say: “You treat every player equally... it’s just that some get treated more equally than others.”

(After saying this, one of his trainers went out & purchased some cocaine for LT.)

In hindsight, trading AB at the trading deadline for a “then disgruntled” Patrick Peterson (and a R1 pick) would have been a great move... and, a move that would have brought the ire from the fanbase.
    How about when Terry Glenn was injured and When asked about Glenn’s injury Parcells said “She’s making progress.”

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

SUMMATION:
    No I would not equate your own nutritional guy and your own trainer the same as skipping meeting and living off campus during training camp. That just BS

Merry Christmas

Read about the Jimmy Johnson era Cowboys. There were no rules on that team for good players. Anyone think that Nate Newton just decided to become a drug kingpin after he was done playing ball? Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, and rules are not things that go together.

This type of high school ego stroking and wiener measuring has been going on since they started paying guys to play ball. We just hear about it now because social media and the internet gives everyone a megaphone to talk about stuff. I'm sure in the 1930's there were some guys that got to ride in better train cars or sleep in nicer hotels or whatever. No fans care as long as you win. No players care as long as you win and get paid.

This was all fine and dandy with AB until guys that are lesser players than him and/or haven't been in the league as long started getting paid the same yearly $$$ average as him and got far more up front guarantees. Odell Beckam, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Sammy Watkins, and Stefon Diggs are a few of the WRs who have similar yearly pay-outs and 2-3 times the guaranteed cash as AB. Couple that with the harsh reality that the Pittsburgh Steelers organization is going to cater to the likes and dislikes of Ben Roethlisberger over and above anyone else, and you have a (in hindsight) totally predictable toxic situation.

I fully believe, based on the current evidence available, that there was NOTHING that Mike Tomlin could have done that would have changed where things stand. The only thing that would have changed this is if the Steelers would pay AB more money. That was never going to happen. No amount of fines, benchings, or suspensions was or is going to change that fact.

Bottom line, the best WR on the planet is now playing under a contract that is heavily tilted in the favor of the team when compared to other WRs and their more recent contracts. His ego can't handle that and here we are.

Read about the Jimmy Johnson era Cowboys. There were no rules on that team for good players. Anyone think that Nate Newton just decided to become a drug kingpin after he was done playing ball? Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, and rules are not things that go together.

This type of high school ego stroking and wiener measuring has been going on since they started paying guys to play ball. We just hear about it now because social media and the internet gives everyone a megaphone to talk about stuff. I'm sure in the 1930's there were some guys that got to ride in better train cars or sleep in nicer hotels or whatever. No fans care as long as you win. No players care as long as you win and get paid.

This was all fine and dandy with AB until guys that are lesser players than him and/or haven't been in the league as long started getting paid the same yearly $$$ average as him and got far more up front guarantees. Odell Beckam, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Sammy Watkins, and Stefon Diggs are a few of the WRs who have similar yearly pay-outs and 2-3 times the guaranteed cash as AB. Couple that with the harsh reality that the Pittsburgh Steelers organization is going to cater to the likes and dislikes of Ben Roethlisberger over and above anyone else, and you have a (in hindsight) totally predictable toxic situation.

I fully believe, based on the current evidence available, that there was NOTHING that Mike Tomlin could have done that would have changed where things stand. The only thing that would have changed this is if the Steelers would pay AB more money. That was never going to happen. No amount of fines, benchings, or suspensions was or is going to change that fact.

Bottom line, the best WR on the planet is now playing under a contract that is heavily tilted in the favor of the team when compared to other WRs and their more recent contracts. His ego can't handle that and here we are.
    Right, you keep believing that. I say bullshit

Right, you keep believing that. I say bullshit
    How could Mike Tomlin have convinced AB that he doesn't need more guaranteed money in his contract? As soon as the ink dried on Odell Beckham Jr's contract the current situation was inevitable.

AB saw a guy act the fool on a consistent basis and get paid better than he did. AB saw a guy do what he had done for a career for about a hot minute and get paid better than he did. AB saw a guy behave in a ridiculous manner and get rewarded.

I'm not saying that AB is without blame or the Steelers are to be blamed or it is all some other player's fault. But I am saying that there is not a blessed thing that a coach can do when a guy decides he needs to be paid in a different way than he is. The only option that the Steelers didn't use was the NE model of trading the guy a year before the contract stuff becomes an issue. And that is totally out of Tomlin's hands.

AB is a creation of his own ego, social media focused narcissism, and rampant "Why Not Me-ism?". Throw in a dash of Rosenhaus enabling and "BOOM". Additionally, Tomlin made his point with AB pretty clear after the infamous Facebook Live incident. He said nonsense is tolerated until it is too much or a player doesn't perform. Basically, don't write checks you can't cash. AB did that in Week 17 of the 2018 season, just as Tomlin predicted he would. Then Tomlin acted exactly as he told AB he would.

I'm honestly not trying to be difficult, but what else could've been done? Ground him and send him to bed without supper? Most people want to pivot to either fines or suspensions. The max fine would've been chump change to AB. And you have to have a reason to suspend guys. Prior to Week 17, what would've been the reason -- petulant childish attitude?

A good answer is why didn't someone spot Thai behavior coming and make a block buster trade to move him before he hit the fan

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    A good answer is why didn't someone spot Thai behavior coming and make a block buster trade to move him before he hit the fan
    Is that even possible? I mean if teams could accurately predict player behavior, wouldn't 60% of the NFL's problems be solved overnight?

Is that even possible? I mean if teams could accurately predict player behavior, wouldn't 60% of the NFL's problems be solved overnight?
    It seems some inside the Steelers have known this was escalating, obvious not to this point but maybe we should become a little more like the Patriots in the way they structure deals and trade players. How is it they seem to always have an out on a player going south . For every branding cooks leaving to soon there is another they seem to cut or trade just in time.

Merry Christmas