Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reimagining Steelers' offense without Antonio Brown

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Reimagining Steelers' offense without Antonio Brown

Reimagining Steelers' offense without Antonio Brown

Feb 13, 2019
    Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- What was once the NFL's most formidable threesome has one Killer B left.

Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown are top-10 playmakers in their primes who will -- barring a major upset -- no longer be Steelers in 2019.

That leaves Ben Roethlisberger working with an offense that must utilize different parts to win games.

Bell and Brown are irreplaceable talents. More pointedly, the chemistry between Roethlisberger and Brown might never be replicated in Pittsburgh. The duo broke records with Brown's six straight 100-catch seasons. But what many have described as a love-hate relationship seemed to boil over in late 2018, and Brown wants his proverbial fresh start.

The Steelers never got to a Super Bowl with these three as primary playmakers, and now they have no choice but to make a retooled offense work.

This is how it happens.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...-antonio-brown

Senior Member Array title="hwalker84 will become famous soon enough">

Re: Reimagining Steelers' offense without Antonio Brown

I wouldn't mind getting San Fran's #1 pick moving back and taking AB's cousin. As long as he picks #84 so i don't have to switch jersey's.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What a fascinating article. Imagine that if you remove the best WR from an offense the remaining players on the roster will have to pick up the slack and new players may have to be brought in from outside to replace the player on the roster.

Like Fowler got paid to write this. Unbelievable.

FWIW, I would say that Randall Cobb is a big avoid. He can not stay healthy and really only had one good year. I think he is over-rated and more name than game. I would rather give Eli Rogers a chance to elevate his game than throw $$$ at Cobb.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

We have slot receivers. Between JuJu, Rogers, and Switzer we’re good there. We hope we have Wash on one side, and I don’t know who on the other. I would wager we take an early round WR.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

"It's like they'll have the same offense with the same players except Brown."

There, I saved you three useless minutes.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    "It's like they'll have the same offense with the same players except Brown."

There, I saved you three useless minutes.
    Exactly! ESPN should be sending your $5K check any day now.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Washington on one side, JuJu on the other, and Switzer in the slot.

Unfortunately, journalists get paid by the word and that's only 13...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don’t know why we automatically move JuJu outside. He has dominated from the slot in a Hines Ward kind of way. I like him there and I’m not sure moving him helps us more.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Really need a Holmes/martavius down the field guy. True statement these guys have never lead the Steelers to a Superbowl.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Maybe we need Swan
    Maybe we need Bettis back
    SuperBowl Haiku

I think you should make a list of ALL the things that have not lead the Steelers to a SuperBowl. Whatever is left must be just the thing we need.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    What a fascinating article. Imagine that if you remove the best WR from an offense the remaining players on the roster will have to pick up the slack and new players may have to be brought in from outside to replace the player on the roster.

Like Fowler got paid to write this. Unbelievable.

FWIW, I would say that Randall Cobb is a big avoid. He can not stay healthy and really only had one good year. I think he is over-rated and more name than game. I would rather give Eli Rogers a chance to elevate his game than throw $$$ at Cobb.
    You’re quite the journalism critic lol.

You have to remember that he’s a national writer not just to in-the-know yinzers.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Maybe we need Swan
    Maybe we need Bettis back
    SuperBowl Haiku

Brown's a big dickhead
    He can chug a fuckin dick
    Tom Brady is gay

Hey, this game really works well.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Brown's a big dickhead
    He can chug a fuckin dick
    Tom Brady is gay

Hey, this game really works well.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Really need a Holmes/martavius down the field guy. True statement these guys have never lead the Steelers to a Superbowl.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Free agent John Brown from Balt would be perfect. Speedy deep threat who I would go after if I'm Pitt. Get him and then no need to use a high pick on a wr.

What really is rolling on the floor funny is the opinion that the Steelers don’t need to replace the offense when players are lost. Just blame Ben for the woes on offense. “He has Conner and JuJu. What else could he possibly need to be successful”? “Washington(who has shown nothing up to this point) is going to be awesome next year. JuJu(who has been wonderful as a slot receiver) can just move outside and produce like AB. Rogers and/or Switzer will readily replace JuJu’s production from the slot”. Absolutely genius.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    You’re quite the journalism critic lol.

You have to remember that he’s a national writer not just to in-the-know yinzers.
    Right but there is NO way that AB leaves and the scheme and strategy doesn’t change. Fowler’s analysis is lazy and superficial.

People like to rag on bloggers and podcasters or whatnot but this is what one of ESPNs most prominent football writers can come up with?

This board could cobble that together in 32 seconds.

Fowler has the entire resources of ESPN at his disposal. Force Skippy the intern to add up the # of and % of targets AB takes with him. Then ask the research department to see if AB catches passes short, middle, or deep. How often is he doubled?

I can think of several other actual questions that I would love to know the details of and if I had the resources of ESPN at my disposal (wanna bet Fowler can just text someone and make them do stuff?) I’d darn sure come up with something more interesting than other guys catch more passes

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What really is rolling on the floor funny is the opinion that the Steelers don’t need to replace the offense when players are lost. Just blame Ben for the woes on offense. “He has Conner and JuJu. What else could he possibly need to be successful”? “Washington(who has shown nothing up to this point) is going to be awesome next year. JuJu(who has been wonderful as a slot receiver) can just move outside and produce like AB. Rogers and/or Switzer will readily replace JuJu’s production from the slot”. Absolutely genius.
    Yeah it’s not like they’re playing for the Patriots!!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah it’s not like they’re playing for the Patriots!!
    I don't even know what that is supposed to mean, but yeah that too.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Obviously they will need someone else at the position without ab

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Obviously they will need someone else at the position without ab
    Apparently that is not obvious. According to the brain trust on here you just move JuJu to AB's spot, watch Wash catch fire, and let Rogers and Switzer develop into what JuJu already is as the slot guys. Skills me nothing. You just move the next guy over and keep going better than before. Should be a superbowl team unless Ben blows it again.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Apparently that is not obvious. According to the brain trust on here you just move JuJu to AB's spot, watch Wash catch fire, and let Rogers and Switzer develop into what JuJu already is as the slot guys. Skills me nothing. You just move the next guy over and keep going better than before. Should be a superbowl team unless Ben blows it again.
    "We do not have back-ups, we have starters in waiting. Everybody with a helmet on is in the mix, and things of that nature. Next man up, we like their pedigrees if you will. The standard is the standard, our expectation level is very high. At this juncture it is what it is, such is life in the National Football League. We accept that, obviously we don't live in our fears."
    Last edited by hawaiiansteeler; 02-14-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    "We do not have back-ups, we have starters in waiting. Everybody with a helmet on is in the mix, and things of that nature. Next man up, we like their pedigrees if you will. The standard is the standard, our expectation level is very high. At this juncture it is what it is, such is life in the National Football League. We accept that, everybody with a helmet on is in the mix."
    Mike is that you ?
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Mike is that you ?
    he's like a son to me...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

he's like a son to me...

Was that picture taken before or after he told Tomlin to go fuck himself, and that he wouldn't be playing in the final game of the season with the playoffs on the line?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

That artcle reminds me of this bit of advice...

It shouldn’t be a case of either you are on AB’s side of the issue or you 100% want him gone. It does not matter at all what AB has said on social media, told reporters, not returnrd calls, etc....none of that fluff means anything. AB does not have the control. He is still under contract and he can do nothing about that. What needs to be the issue, and what seems to be the point of controversy on here, is what is best for the Steelers. If AB’s trade value is too low to make sense then what is best for the Steelers is to hold his feet to the fire and force him to honor the contract he signed, or he can retire. It’s not about his attitude or diva status, it’s about this team is better with AB on the field doing what he was born to do on a football field.

My point on simply moving players won’t work is basic football. Yes, it might work but at the point we are now you cannot bank on it. Just that simple sideline/Tony Toetap route that AB makes look easy is more than just throw and catch. There are no less than 6-7 other guys that must do their job right in order for that ball to even get to where it can be caught. AB does his job better than most we have ever seen. But a lot of credit goes to the team on those plays too. JuJu also plays his role very well. Now, if you move JuJu to AB’s role you no longer have JuJu doing what he does from the slot. Instead he’s trying to learn to play the AB role. This leaves 2 holes now. Who takes JuJu’s spot now? If Rogers could do what JuJu does, JuJu would not have been drafted in the 2nd round of 2017. It’s not about just sticking warm bodies in positions and everything works out. If AB leaves the Steelers will have to draft more talent to replace that loss. It’s not just shuffle everyone around and make it work. I wish it were but it’s just not.

It shouldn’t be a case of either you are on AB’s side of the issue or you 100% want him gone. It does not matter at all what AB has said on social media, told reporters, not returnrd calls, etc....none of that fluff means anything. AB does not have the control. He is still under contract and he can do nothing about that. What needs to be the issue, and what seems to be the point of controversy on here, is what is best for the Steelers. If AB’s trade value is too low to make sense then what is best for the Steelers is to hold his feet to the fire and force him to honor the contract he signed, or he can retire. It’s not about his attitude or diva status, it’s about this team is better with AB on the field doing what he was born to do on a football field.

My point on simply moving players won’t work is basic football. Yes, it might work but at the point we are now you cannot bank on it. Just that simple sideline/Tony Toetap route that AB makes look easy is more than just throw and catch. There are no less than 6-7 other guys that must do their job right in order for that ball to even get to where it can be caught. AB does his job better than most we have ever seen. But a lot of credit goes to the team on those plays too. JuJu also plays his role very well. Now, if you move JuJu to AB’s role you no longer have JuJu doing what he does from the slot. Instead he’s trying to learn to play the AB role. This leaves 2 holes now. Who takes JuJu’s spot now? If Rogers could do what JuJu does, JuJu would not have been drafted in the 2nd round of 2017. It’s not about just sticking warm bodies in positions and everything works out. If AB leaves the Steelers will have to draft more talent to replace that loss. It’s not just shuffle everyone around and make it work. I wish it were but it’s just not.
    Great posting. You can plug guys into roles, but the offense will change in a fundamental way. How JuJu plays the X or the Z or the Y will be different than how AB or Eli Rogers would do the same thing. And I don't know what those differences are or will be, but they will be critical for the Steelers coaching staff to honestly and proactively evaluate so that they can identify what the new strengths of the passing game are and what the new holes on the skill position roster are.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

An explosive offense without a reliable defense doesn’t work. We need to beef up our defense with better db’s and more athletic Lb’s to cover for our defensive scheme/prep shortcomings. On offense we need to go back to more of the running game and short passes: use more of the clock. In a way, it might be better if AB is not here. That way Ben won’t have to force it to him in double coverage anymore. It shouldn’t be that hard to get another receiver who can run routes and stretch the field so things can open up underneath.

Sell AB while he’s still relatively high in value. I think his value will drop off sooner rather than later, he’s turning 31. I actually think Bell would be better to keep at this point since Conner seems injury prone.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Steelers offense without AB? Less potent, unfortunately. The guy is still the best in the game at the moment, despite the recent wig outs.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

he's like a son to me...

My name is Abraham. This is my loving son Isaac. We’re going for a walk.