Thread: Potential 2nd round pick Jermain Pratt ILB NC State

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Potential 2nd round pick Jermain Pratt ILB NC State

A question came up of who might the Steelers look at in the 2nd round if they don't pick ILB in the first round. Below are some videos of Germain Pratt from UNC. 6'2.5" approx. 240 lbs, a converted safety that has projected 4.6 speed in the 40 and was clocked at running 20.4mph by Next Gen stats at this years Senior Bowl.

Pratt is athletic, fluid in coverage and draft analyst Tony Pauline mentioned him in a Senior Bowl podcast using the words, a physical specimen, smart, instinctive LB, always around the football. "A 2nd or 3rd round grade".

I think the negatives on him are that he plays high at times. He can get locked in and trying to peek in the backfield at the RB, but doesn't move his feet towards the hole and is not always great at taking on blockers. I think he is more of a weak side pursuit ILB and a guy that can cover in the pass game, which would fit with some of the strong ILB's like Williams and Bostic who operate better between the tackles.

Lots of the draft process to go, but have a look at #3 in Red and see if he might fit with the Steelers 2nd round pick, as I don't think he will be around when they pick in the 3rd.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Potential 2nd round pick Jermain Pratt ILB NC State

Nice breakdown. Thank you

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

kid reminds me of a guy many of us were pretty high on Darius Leonard

( high praise at this point but if going back to last year and if BOTH where in same draft we may think flip a coin )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    kid reminds me of a guy many of us were pretty high on Darius Leonard

( high praise at this point but if going back to last year and if BOTH where in same draft we may think flip a coin )
    I would still pick Leonard over Pratt...all day, every day. Leonard reminded me of Deion Jones as a lanky 225-230lb guy that can run sideline to sideline, make tackles and cover man to man TE and RB's. Pratt looks thicker at around 240Lbs and not as fluid in change of direction, but still straight line fast. I have seen a comparison of Raekwon McMillan of Miami...the former Ohio State ILB and I think that is close.