Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Browns sign running back Kareem Hunt

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Browns sign running back Kareem Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Personally, I operate under the assumption that all these guys are not good role models and the whole business is sleazy from top to bottom.
    Agree. I think there are a few good ones, but they are few and far between and you don’t know when it could go wrong. Use AB as an example...he was humble and loved and could do no wrong and then just got too big for his own good...he’s an awful role model now. Pretty much everything you don’t want to be...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Browns sign running back Kareem Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    All I’m saying is that he deserves a second chance just like any of those other players listed above got second chances.
    He's getting a second chance because he's a highly talented player not because he deserves it. If he was an average talent he'd have played his last down in the NFL.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    He's getting a second chance because he's a highly talented player not because he deserves it. If he was an average talent he'd have played his last down in the NFL.
    Right. Exactly like the other guys on the list.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Will still face suspension.
    Yes but so did Elliott. To me this is a great move for the Browns and something we should have considered. I bet he'll be suspended for 8 games knocked down to 6 after an appeal by the NFLPA. We could have signed him for cheap and rolled with Conner/Samuels until his suspension was over.

The Browns are going to be a very good team in 1-3 years just about when Ben hangs it up. We could see a lot of lean years coming.

As far as what Hunt did it was wrong, but if he passes through anger management and really does turn his life around would anyone not want him to have a second chance if he were their son? Of course he would be on a short leash. If he jay walks I would come down hard on him from here on out. Make it clear this is his second and LAST chance.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It’s gonna take more than one season before I anoint Baker Mayfield as a franchise QB. Lots of guys have had a good one year. Additionally, I still expect some off the field stuff to surface with him the more his star power goes to his head.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Yes but so did Elliott. To me this is a great move for the Browns and something we should have considered. I bet he'll be suspended for 8 games knocked down to 6 after an appeal by the NFLPA. We could have signed him for cheap and rolled with Conner/Samuels until his suspension was over.

The Browns are going to be a very good team in 1-3 years just about when Ben hangs it up. We could see a lot of lean years coming.

As far as what Hunt did it was wrong, but if he passes through anger management and really does turn his life around would anyone not want him to have a second chance if he were their son? Of course he would be on a short leash. If he jay walks I would come down hard on him from here on out. Make it clear this is his second and LAST chance.
    How about getting through the anger management training first and getting off the commissioner's exempt list before someone is allowed to sign him? I assume that is governed by the CBA.

But these guys are just inventory so no surprise there are few impediments to encouraging someone to be a first mover in order to have a chance to buy low when the only real downside is having to take the PR hit.

As far as the Browns being on an upward slope, I suppose it depends a lot on how the egos and contract $$$ work out after their best players come off their rookie deals (see, e.g., L. Bell). Another wild card is that the owner is a jackass.

Pilot Flying J is pulling its extensive advertising and sponsorship agreement with ESPN two years into a four-year deal, sources say, after ESPN.com ran a critical story on the inner workings of the Browns. Jimmy Haslam, who owns the Browns with his wife, Dee, also is Pilot Flying J’s CEO.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-Flying-J.aspx

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The Browns had a connection with him and really it's a win win with them. If they get a clean bill of mental health from whatever "anger" management he's going through they let the suspension ride and have a guy for cheap. If something else happens they cut him for almost no cost/risk.

It's not like he wasn't getting back in the league. As 86Ward said it's not like the Ray Rice thing at all. Rice flat out knocked his GF/wife out with a punch. Hunt shoved someone into the chick then kicked at her. He was wrong and a douche but at his age with is talent he was definitely getting another chance. As far as when he got signed ... if the CBA wasn't violated there's nothing anyone can do.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    How about getting through the anger management training first and getting off the commissioner's exempt list before someone is allowed to sign him? I assume that is governed by the CBA.

But these guys are just inventory so no surprise there are few impediments to encouraging someone to be a first mover in order to have a chance to buy low when the only real downside is having to take the PR hit.

As far as the Browns being on an upward slope, I suppose it depends a lot on how the egos and contract $$$ work out after their best players come off their rookie deals (see, e.g., L. Bell). Another wild card is that the owner is a jackass.

Pilot Flying J is pulling its extensive advertising and sponsorship agreement with ESPN two years into a four-year deal, sources say, after ESPN.com ran a critical story on the inner workings of the Browns. Jimmy Haslam, who owns the Browns with his wife, Dee, also is Pilot Flying J’s CEO.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-Flying-J.aspx
    Someone could have signed him during the playoffs if they wanted. There was no grace period or whatever for not signing him.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

The Browns had a connection with him and really it's a win win with them. If they get a clean bill of mental health from whatever "anger" management he's going through they let the suspension ride and have a guy for cheap. If something else happens they cut him for almost no cost/risk.

It's not like he wasn't getting back in the league. As 86Ward said it's not like the Ray Rice thing at all. Rice flat out knocked his GF/wife out with a punch. Hunt shoved someone into the chick then kicked at her. He was wrong and a douche but at his age with is talent he was definitely getting another chance. As far as when he got signed ... if the CBA wasn't violated there's nothing anyone can do.
    Rice would have been signed by someone too if he was Hunt's age rather than an aging RB clearly on the downslope of his career. Parsing whether it was an apparently unacceptably "hard" assault or merely some apparently more socially acceptable kicking and shoving involves some line drawing for which posters may care to engage but IMO front offices are indifferent - for them that is just a matter of how to spin it as a redemption/everyone should get a second chance story.

Ray Rice was 27 when he was released, the same age Le'Veon Bell will be next season. Let's not act like Rice was 33.

I'm not condoning what Hunt did, but he does deserve a second chance IF he really does get his life in order.

Ray Rice was 27 when he was released, the same age Le'Veon Bell will be next season. Let's not act like Rice was 33.
    Unlike Bell, and for that matter Hunt, Rice had a bad season the year before and was at the age most RBs begin their steep decline

Rice was coming off a bad season in 2013, averaging 3.1 yards per carry, which he's attributed to a torn quad. He was 28 when he was released and the prevailing thought in the league was he was used up and now had too much baggage.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...icle-1.3142096

If video of Rice's assault had been released after his 2011 season when he was 24 (12 TDs/1360 yards rushing/4.7 YPC/76 receptions/704 yards) rather than after his 2013 season (4 Tds/660 yards rushing/3.1 YPC/58 receptions/321 yards) I am highly confident he would have been back in the league. His diminished talent was not enough to justify taking the PR hit.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceRa00.htm

I'll give you Rice had a bad season but to say "at the age most RBs begin their steep decline" is a bit of a stretch. Rice was born January 22, 1987 and released by the Ravens on September 8, 2014. He was 27 according to my math. On November 28, 2014 he was reinstated by the NFL (still at 27).

I'll give you Rice had a bad season but to say "at the age most RBs begin their steep decline" is a bit of a stretch. Rice was born January 22, 1987 and released by the Ravens on September 8, 2014. He was 27 according to my math. On November 28, 2014 he was reinstated by the NFL (still at 27).
    As was discussed at length by those opposed to the Steelers breaking the bank to sign L. Bell to a long term deal, most running backs get beat up and age out of their prime more quickly than other positions. The production drop off of a smaller back such as Rice (5'9 - 195) was a red flag that he quite possibly had already hit his sell by date.

Running back cliff after age 27

Overall, we see their careers peak at age 27. Afterward, their rushing totals drop by 15 percent in one year, 25 percent in two and almost 40 by the time they are 30.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/p...f-after-age-27

Right. Exactly like the other guys on the list.
    So you can drop the "he deserves a second chance" nonsense.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Agree. “Deserving” a second chance is the exception not the norm. I’ve had a few second chances in life and rarely were they deserved. Just God’s mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I’ve had a few second chances in life and rarely were they deserved. Just God’s mercy.
    I know the feeling all too well.

Browns sign running back Kareem Hunt

Unfortunately...it’s deserved seeing what’s happened in past NFL history. I don’t make the rules...lol...based on the history, yeah...he deserves it.

Unfortunately...it’s deserved seeing what’s happened in past NFL history. I don’t make the rules...lol...based on the history, yeah...he deserves it.

You don't seem to be following this. He got a second chance because he has talent. It has zero to do with deserving anything.

Now, that doesn't mean people, in general, don't deserve a second chance at times. It means that the Browns gave him one out of greed, not compassion. No one's fooling anyone here.

You don't seem to be following this. He got a second chance because he has talent. It has zero to do with deserving anything.

Now, that doesn't mean people, in general, don't deserve a second chance at times. It means that the Browns gave him one out of greed, not compassion. No one's fooling anyone here.
    Sorry. Based on NFL History...he deserves it. Lol. Guys before him did worse, had talent, got second chance. He fucked up, he has talent and because those other guys got it, he deserves it as well. Sorry. Just how it should work based on past actions of the league.

Look at it however you want. Look at it however makes you feel good. The guys getting the chance.

The NFL isn't in the second chance business. They're in the talent/wants/needs business. If the former collides with the latter it's purely coincidental.

The NFL isn't in the second chance business. They're in the talent/wants/needs business. If the former collides with the latter it's purely coincidental.
    History says otherwise.

There have been lesser talents:

Leonard Little, Gareon Conley, Joe Mixon, Reuben Foster even. The list goes very deep...

They’ve been in the second chance business for years! But obviously they are gonna give the guys with talent a second chance more so than a lesser talented guy...lol. Hunt’s talent level is on par with the players that have been listed.

They’ve been in the second chance business for years! .
    They've been in the look the other way because we need players business for years. It happens at every level. I saw it starting in Junior High. And trust me, it had nothing to do with second chances and everything to do with fielding a team.

P.S. You can have the last word.
    Last edited by tom444; 02-15-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Lol. Thanks. I’ll take it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sorry. Based on NFL History...he deserves it. Lol. Guys before him did worse, had talent, got second chance. He fucked up, he has talent and because those other guys got it, he deserves it as well. Sorry. Just how it should work based on past actions of the league.

Look at it however you want. Look at it however makes you feel good. The guys getting the chance.
    I like tossing grenades into rooms and then running away...so...anyone find it interesting that domestic violence and sexual assault can readily be overcome and you can reappear on an NFL roster, but political speech is apparently more difficult to come back from?

BTW - I totally understand why. I just find it interesting that the average football fan can more readily overlook violent behavior (often against women) than they can a politically motivated protest behavior.

Apparently disrespecting the flag and abusing dogs are about the only two things you can do to make it hard to get a "second chance".

Anything that the political correctness police seems to be hate speech will be punishable by the death penalty within 20 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything that the political correctness police seems to be hate speech will be punishable by the death penalty within 20 years.

Apparently disrespecting the flag and abusing dogs are about the only two things you can do to make it hard to get a "second chance".
    If you have talent running a dog fighting ring is not a career ending felony

Michael Vick played for three teams and earned over $50 million after he was released from prison

https://overthecap.com/player/michael-vick/768

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If you have talent running a dog fighting ring is not a career ending felony

Michael Vick played for three teams and earned over $50 million after he was released from prison

https://overthecap.com/player/michael-vick/768
    Didn’t he have to wait a season or so before anyone signed him? Or was that because he was in jail? Honestly don’t remember. Or really care.

I just find it mildly interesting that fans have told various franchises that they will cancel season tickets, protest, or whatever over non violent player protests but those same angry calls don’t seem to happen when guys punch women or children because touchdowns?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

It all goes along with the Seinfeld bit that we root for laundry. Nobody cares how just so long as the team wins. Just look at all the Pats fans that could not care less how much their team cheats so long as they win. If Vick, Hernandez, Hunt, Rice, etc...had never been caught, they would still be the same assholes. How many of our current favorite players have a few skeletons in their closet? Just nobody knows yet. My very first favorite NFL player was OJ Simpson.

Didn’t he have to wait a season or so before anyone signed him? Or was that because he was in jail? Honestly don’t remember. Or really care.
    Home confinement at end of federal sentence completed in late July - Goodell reinstated Vick and Eagles signed him in mid-August

Vick also had an offer from Bengals but Vick turned that down since even felons have standards

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938

Home confinement at end of federal sentence completed in late July - Goodell reinstated Vick and Eagles signed him in mid-August

Vick also had an offer from Bengals but Vick turned that down since even felons have standards

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938
    Ha! Thanks for refreshing my memory