Thread: Offseason and the Offensive Line

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Offseason and the Offensive Line

It struck me today that one of the stories of the 2019 season will be whether the Steelers see new starters at 2 of 5 offensive line positions or keep the band together. Additionally, several key back-ups will need new contracts. Thought it would be interesting to get people's thoughts on:

1. Is Hawkins even an option for anything at this point? He looked okay then got hurt and then looked meh and then got hurt...
    2. Would you bring Foster back?
    3. If no Foster, who plays LG? Finney? What about Feiler? I thought I read somewhere they thought his future was at guard?
    4. RT? Gilbert? Feiler? Someone else?
    5. What about Banner? Anyone got a read on how good this kid can be if he keeps his weight down? I read one pre-draft scouting report that really liked him and a few that did not.

Anyways, if it was me I would look at bringing Foster back, because I think his contributions are very underrated. I maybe get out of the Marcus Gilbert business and role with Chuks or Banner at RT. Then I hope that Feiler and Hawkins can be back-ups. However, I only get out of the Gilbert business if I can take those cap $$$ and do something useful with them.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Offseason and the Offensive Line

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It struck me today that one of the stories of the 2019 season will be whether the Steelers see new starters at 2 of 5 offensive line positions or keep the band together. Additionally, several key back-ups will need new contracts. Thought it would be interesting to get people's thoughts on:

1. Is Hawkins even an option for anything at this point? He looked okay then got hurt and then looked meh and then got hurt...
    2. Would you bring Foster back?
    3. If no Foster, who plays LG? Finney? What about Feiler? I thought I read somewhere they thought his future was at guard?
    4. RT? Gilbert? Feiler? Someone else?
    5. What about Banner? Anyone got a read on how good this kid can be if he keeps his weight down? I read one pre-draft scouting report that really liked him and a few that did not.

Anyways, if it was me I would look at bringing Foster back, because I think his contributions are very underrated. I maybe get out of the Marcus Gilbert business and role with Chuks or Banner at RT. Then I hope that Feiler and Hawkins can be back-ups. However, I only get out of the Gilbert business if I can take those cap $$$ and do something useful with them.
    1. Hawkins could have been LT of the future, but might well be RT of the future and a prospect to move inside as a guard. He was a very athletic player and excellent run blocker, with LT skills that might just end up being a really good RT.
    2. I would not bring Foster back. too much younger talent on the roster waiting to play at a longer timeframe. This isn't letting Logan Mankins go a year too soon...its Ramon Foster.
    3.I agree, Finney or Feiler take the LG spot. Feiler actually played more guard in college and I recall him 2 seasons ago pulling and destroying the ILB in the hole in a preseason game.
    4. RT. I think if the cap room is there and Gilbert is healthy, then let him play. If he isn't, then you roll with Chukks, Feiler or Hawkins if he is healthy.
    5. Banner, if he can keep his weight in check he might be Flozell Adams, if he can....he is Finch from Wildcats.

2019 projection: AV, Finney, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert. Reserves Feiler, Chukks, Hawkins, RJ Prince (or a draft pick). Practice squad Banner and Patrick Morris Center from TCU.