Thread: Everything you need to know about the first Alliance of American Football season

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Everything you need to know about the first Alliance of American Football season

Competitive football could have been done until July, when college football media days and NFL training camps once again popped into the public eye. But the eight-team Alliance of American Football, which opens with two games on Saturday night (San Diego at San Antonio and Atlanta at Orlando), marks the debut of the upstart league on CBS.It's not quite the NFL, and it's not quite college football, either. It's being billed as a developmental league that is trying to be an augmentation to the NFL season, according to league co-founder Bill Polian, with a bunch of things that will look the same and some that will look markedly different from the football to which you are accustomed.

With a 10-game regular-season schedule, the inaugural campaign will culminate in an April 27 championship game. You probably have a lot of questions about the AAF -- its teams, players, rules and more -- so here's our primer on all the big topics:

Where can I watch?

A combination of places: online, on broadcast networks, on cable and potentially on your phone. CBS will broadcast the two opening-night games (most of the country will see San Diego at San Antonio while some will get Atlanta at Orlando) and CBS Sports Network will televise one game a week. NFL Network will show 19 games -- starting with Salt Lake at Arizona in Week 1 and then two games per week following. TNT will have Salt Lake at Birmingham in Week 2 and then B-R Live will stream one game per week over the final eight weeks of the season........

read more @ http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ootball-season

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Everything you need to know about the first Alliance of American Football season

I heard recently on a radio sports show that the AAF already has expansion plans. A franchise is expected to start playing next year in the Dallas area. Was also talked about on that show that not only is the AAF being run as a minor league for the NFL, but teams only get players from certain schools/NFL teams. Explained that, as example only, the Memphis Express gets their players from certain schools like LSU/OleMiss where the Birmingham Iron gets their players from Bama/Auburn schools. That the league is set up that way.

This info makes it still fun to watch, but about as important as who wins tripleA baseball, IMO. Further info needed though.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Everything you need to know about the first Alliance of American Football season

Looks like it is going to be the last season. Already relying on massive emergency investors to make payroll: https://deadspin.com/report-the-aaf-...jus-1832723865

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Looks like it is going to be the last season. Already relying on massive emergency investors to make payroll: https://deadspin.com/report-the-aaf-...jus-1832723865
    Why would it be their last season. A rich guy just invested $250 million. He now gets to sit at the head of the table. Unlike the deadspin spin, I see it as a positive outcome to what could have run the league out of business.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Why would it be their last season. A rich guy just invested $250 million. He now gets to sit at the head of the table. Unlike the deadspin spin, I see it as a positive outcome to what could have run the league out of business.
    I’m sure that’s what the guy wants and expects. But if 2 weeks in you’re not making enough revenue to meet payroll, it's a downward spiral of a math problem.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I’m sure that’s what the guy wants and expects. But if 2 weeks in you’re not making enough revenue to meet payroll, it's a downward spiral of a math problem.
    Possibly. I think it'll stick though. Based on what I've seen I believe that the NFL will have reason to keep it for developmental players.

Things are not looking good for the AAF. Needed massive cash infusion to stay afloat after 2 weeks. Ratings are down. And Rod Woodson is dunking on them:
    https://deadspin.com/rod-woodson-say...t-t-1832846438

From same article: not sure exactly when in the process this was, but that is not a ton of people showing up for the game! I've been to minor league hockey and semi-pro baseball with bigger crowds!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He’s a potential major gaffe...so as things are going, Orlando and Birmingham look set up to be undefeated come Week 5 when they meet. By far the two best teams and the two that look closest to an NFL team. That game is scheduled for 2pm on Saturday on BR Live. If those teams wind up undefeated, the AAF needs to “flex” that game to the NFL Network...you can’t have the best match up, of the year, going off on BR Live.

It’s not looking like this league is going to make it to their championship week.

I still follow, still watch some of the games here and there but they aren’t going to get the casual fan and their definitely not going to pull in the new fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Things are not looking good for the AAF. Needed massive cash infusion to stay afloat after 2 weeks. Ratings are down. And Rod Woodson is dunking on them:
    https://deadspin.com/rod-woodson-say...t-t-1832846438

From same article: not sure exactly when in the process this was, but that is not a ton of people showing up for the game! I've been to minor league hockey and semi-pro baseball with bigger crowds!

I cannot speak for other markets, but here in SA the team has a pretty good following. I heard on sports radio that it was the biggest market for week 1.

Also wanted to say that pic reminds me of "My Cousin Vinny".

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He’s a potential major gaffe...so as things are going, Orlando and Birmingham look set up to be undefeated come Week 5 when they meet. By far the two best teams and the two that look closest to an NFL team. That game is scheduled for 2pm on Saturday on BR Live. If those teams wind up undefeated, the AAF needs to “flex” that game to the NFL Network...you can’t have the best match up, of the year, going off on BR Live.

It’s not looking like this league is going to make it to their championship week.

I still follow, still watch some of the games here and there but they aren’t going to get the casual fan and their definitely not going to pull in the new fan.
    That seems to identify a significant problem!

I wonder if everyone tuned in early for the novelty factor and then just shrugged and went on their way?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That seems to identify a significant problem!

I wonder if everyone tuned in early for the novelty factor and then just shrugged and went on their way?
    I think that’s exactly what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler