Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Todd McShay Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers select an ILB to help complete their LB corps

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Todd McShay Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers select an ILB to help complete their LB corps

Quote Originally Posted by slippy View Post
    Conner has not been the same since his concussion and Samuels had one great game.
    uh what? He only played in the finale and had a pretty strong performance. 64 yards for 4.6 a pop and 3 catches for 30 yards. That's solid production, especially returning from injury and sharing time with Samuels.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Todd McShay Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers select an ILB to help complete their LB corps

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    @El-G
    Thank you.

I loved Spence coming out of college. I was ecstatic when we drafted both DeCastro AND Spence. I truly think that Spence’s injury set us back several years on defense. If he had continued to develop, we would not have needed to draft Shazier (and maybe we trade up to get Aaron Donald???... or, simply drafted DeMarcus Lawrence instead).

Spence getting injured followed by Shazier getting injured, basically means that we have been looking for an ILB since 2012.
    Teeg, I posted some Germain Pratt video and breakdowns on the draft section of the forum. I looked at some Senior Bowl footage of him, the reports that week and looked at some tape. I think he could be another option in the 2nd round.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Teeg, I posted some Germain Pratt video and breakdowns on the draft section of the forum. I looked at some Senior Bowl footage of him, the reports that week and looked at some tape. I think he could be another option in the 2nd round.
    Long ago... for about five seasons in a row, the Steelers drafted the “standout” player from the Senior Bowl. Antwaan Randle El being the one whom I remember most vividly.

In a similar vein, last year, the Steelers drafted the fastest player at the Senior Bowl (James Washington). Maybe they continue that trend this draft (and select Germain Pratt).

Regardless, thank you for the breakdown (and links).

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Long ago... for about five seasons in a row, the Steelers drafted the “standout” player from the Senior Bowl. Antwaan Randle El being the one whom I remember most vividly.

In a similar vein, last year, the Steelers drafted the fastest player at the Senior Bowl (James Washington). Maybe they continue that trend this draft (and select Germain Pratt).

Regardless, thank you for the breakdown (and links).
    Yup and I can recall seeing Vince Williams just destroy a pulling guard at the Senior Bowl. Cam Sutton locking down OJ Howard in the slot, Jaylen Samuels showing a bit of a bigger and slower Tashard Choice type running style, but great hands and route running in the pass game last years game.

I also saw Darius Leonard go sideline to sideline last season and tackle everything with a football, but we know what happened there. Seriously, Pratt isn't as fluid in change of direction as Leonard and likely because he has 20 Lbs more weight on him, but he can get to the edges in the run game, drop in coverage to take away TE seam passes in zone. I think he would be a bit raw, but still a guy that is behind Bostic and Williams on the depth chart, but gets his feet wet in sub packages and progresses as the season goes on.

Draft I would love to see:

Rd1 Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple
    Rd2 Germaine Pratt ILB- NC State
    RD3 Chase Winovich- OLB Michigan
    Rd 4 Zach Gentry TE Michigan
    Rd 6 Ty Johnson RB Maryland
    Rd 6 Lanard Bonner G Arkansas St
    Rd7 Olive Sagapolu DT Wisconsin

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Draft I would love to see:

Rd1 Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple
    Rd2 Germaine Pratt ILB- NC State
    RD3 Chase Winovich- OLB Michigan
    Rd 4 Zach Gentry TE Michigan
    Rd 6 Ty Johnson RB Maryland
    Rd 6 Lanard Bonner G Arkansas St
    Rd7 Olive Sagapolu DT Wisconsin
    I'm pretty sure Rock Ya-Sin will still be available when we draft in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I'm pretty sure Rock Ya-Sin will still be available when we draft in the 2nd round.
    You are likely correct, but I think if he runs well at the combine and does the field drills well he could rise. I think he is going to show good fluidity as an athlete, but long speed is a question. JoJuan Williams from Vanderbilt is another guy that I think his 40 time is gonna be huge. Another big corner with size and plays close to the WR, but not sure if he has the vertical speed.

So, maybe if Devin Bush is there at #20, go with him and see if Ya-Sin or Williams is around in the 2nd round. Will be fun to see how it all shakes out.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

You are likely correct, but I think if he runs well at the combine and does the field drills well he could rise. I think he is going to show good fluidity as an athlete, but long speed is a question. JoJuan Williams from Vanderbilt is another guy that I think his 40 time is gonna be huge. Another big corner with size and plays close to the WR, but not sure if he has the vertical speed.

So, maybe if Devin Bush is there at #20, go with him and see if Ya-Sin or Williams is around in the 2nd round. Will be fun to see how it all shakes out.
    I would love to see that happen. what do you think about Mack Wilson at #20?

I would love to see that happen. what do you think about Mack Wilson at #20?
    Watch him here vs Arkansas and let me know if you think he is worth the pick at #20. Its a play by play spot shadow of Wilson the entire game.

Watch him here vs Arkansas and let me know if you think he is worth the pick at #20. Its a play by play spot shadow of Wilson the entire game.
    thanks, I hadn't seen those lowlights of him. Wilson did absolutely nothing that game...

I would love to see it unfold this way:

Rd 1 Devin Bush ILB Michigan
    Rd 2 Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple
    Rd 3 David Sills WR W Virginia

thanks, I hadn't seen those lowlights of him. Wilson did absolutely nothing that game...
    I agree, I didn't seem him do anything fundamentally sound that got him to the ballcarrier in that entire game. He looks like a fluid athlete, but got lost in coverage on rub routes, took bad angles to the football and was out of position, missed tackles. I don't think I recall him making a single solo tackle on defense in that tape.

I would love to see it unfold this way:

Rd 1 Devin Bush ILB Michigan
    Rd 2 Rock Ya-Sin, CB Temple
    Rd 3 David Sills WR W Virginia
    Yeah, I wonder if Keelan Doss will last until the 3rd round? He looked smooth in his route running and catching of the football at the Senior Bowl. A big body guy like him might be a great addition to the WR corps if AB is traded. Kind of a Keenan Allen type player.

I'm honestly going to be interested to see how Dionte Spencer shows in training camp. He was a late round pick of the Rams a few years ago from Alcorn St (I think). He ran a 4.27-40 at his pro day and jumped 40" vertical. He is only 5'8" 175lbs and was up in the CFL the past few seasons, but definitely has the speed to stretch the field.

Yeah, I wonder if Keelan Doss will last until the 3rd round? He looked smooth in his route running and catching of the football at the Senior Bowl. A big body guy like him might be a great addition to the WR corps if AB is traded. Kind of a Keenan Allen type player.
    KEELAN DOSS WR CAL-DAVIS 6’2/207

NFL radar has been on this smaller school player since the end of his 2017 season. He was one of the top dozen, or so, small-school prospects back when this past season began. After first accepting an invite to play at the Shrine venue, he accepted a “late” invite to join the Senior Bowl party. His first positive impression came at the weigh-in on Tuesday. He was a well proportioned physical specimen, with a solid height/weight combo. His 9″ hands were adequate, though not exciting to scouts, but his 33″ arms, combined with 6’2 height, indicated a large catch radius. I felt that he dropped a few too many balls during practice sessions, but also made some nice grabs. His speed and route running also looked above average, to my eyes. Come game day, he made his mark with 4 receptions for 55 yards, including a long catch/run of 21 yards. With his overall size, his speed/quickness numbers at the Combine will go a long way in determining how high he goes in the Draft. He’s got a shot at a Top 100 selection spot, IMO.

https://gbnreport.com/senior-bowl-reports/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

UC Davis... nice!!!

I always root for the “lesser known” UC schools. And, not just because they have the best mascots: Tritons, Banana Slugs, Gauchos, Anteaters, Highlanders...